• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AZ @ Utah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Shoot the shit all you want, but don't pass off talk of seating assignments as equivalent to talk about in-game strategy. Talking about who should be sitting where in an arena is not talking basketball. It's talking economics.

And there is no need to be an ass. I am not attempting to effect a change and you are, that is the difference. I have never and would never pretend like Sean Miller needs our advice about anything basketball related. Sean Miller is either going to learn from his mistakes and become an even better coach for it than he already is, or he isn't. He has a reason for everything that he does and he already knows what his weaknesses are as a coach, he does not need us to tell him. He would not have had said the things in this press conference that he did if he wasn't regretful for his substitution pattern.

My point about writing a letter to Byrne still stands. You are trying to effect a change off the court, I am analyzing the product on the court. Apples and oranges.

azchamps

Hoopla Cash
$ 84.62
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He has a reason for everything that he does and he already knows what his weaknesses are as a coach, he does not need us to tell him.

I agree, he already knows his weaknesses and I, as a fan, am not going to say I could coach better.
What I will ask is, what is Miller doing to address his weaknesses?
It sure looks to me that he is overlooking free throw practice.
I'm sorry to say this but, when a team is as bad at free throws as our team is this year, what the heck are they doing in practice?
Cal and asWHO games should have and would have been wins if we could hit a few free throws.
Okay, that's my rant.

GO CATS! BEAT UTAH!

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone keeps saying that Zona needs to shoot better from outside... I think Zona needs to shoot less from outside (which would have the result of shooting better).

I feel like Nick (who has never really been a shooter) had a nice run for a few weeks, and now he falls back on the 3 way too often. His percentage is down, because his shot selection is down, IMO. York and Pitts are shooters, the rest of them shouldn't be pulling the trigger unless they've got a great look.

Earlier in the season this team did a much better job of moving the ball around to get an inside shot, and I'd like to see more of that (I know the loss of Brandon really hurts this).

I would also like to see Gordon live on the baseline instead of the perimeter. He could be a monster down there offensively, a la Derrick Williams.

Things are frustrating right now, but Miller's teams always seem to dip right about this time of the season, and peak in the tourney, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that escalated quickly. I was just stating an opinion. That's what message boards are for.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well that escalated quickly. I was just stating an opinion. That's what message boards are for.

What are you talking about? CTP and I have been chatting for years, this is not an escalated conversation, this is a standard conversation between two friends.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and yes, that is what message boards are for. However, this is not a new sentiment, not a new opinion... this dialog has been going on since the 1980s, since long before the internet even existed. I'm just tired of hearing the same thing over and over.

The old people sit where they sit and that will not change so long as the seats can be sold for the amount of money that they currently fetch. Those seats are the single largest revenue generating tool for the UofA athletic department... especially since fans only show up to football games when the team is winning.

Stating an opinion is a great thing... it just so happens that this opinion has already been debated to death for 25+ years.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What are you talking about? CTP and I have been chatting for years, this is not an escalated conversation, this is a standard conversation between two friends.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions and yes, that is what message boards are for. However, this is not a new sentiment, not a new opinion... this dialog has been going on since the 1980s, since long before the internet even existed. I'm just tired of hearing the same thing over and over.

The old people sit where they sit and that will not change so long as the seats can be sold for the amount of money that they currently fetch. Those seats are the single largest revenue generating tool for the UofA athletic department... especially since fans only show up to football games when the team is winning.

Stating an opinion is a great thing... it just so happens that this opinion has already been debated to death for 25+ years.

Okay well I haven't been alive for 25 years so I was unaware of the long standing debate. My apologies. Ill try to not bring it up again.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Okay well I haven't been alive for 25 years so I was unaware of the long standing debate. My apologies. Ill try to not bring it up again.

Naw man, no need to apologize and I don't mean to come off as a dick. Bring it up as much as you want... all I'm saying is the reason why CTP and I are passionate about this topic is because it's an old debate. All I'm saying is you shouldn't be surprised to see people get semi-heated over that topic, it's been that way for a long time.

I've said this countless times: I agree. McKale should have students sitting behind the benches and in full view of the TV cameras... but the reality is that the Athletic Department will never make that change as long as they are funded by those boosters. That is why I get salty about it... it's because many, many, many people share your opinion and have mentioned it countless times, but it will never change. That's just the way it is when the school is in a retirement community and those people have had tickets for 30+ years.

Fact is, many of those fans? They are a huge reason why Arizona basketball is what it is today. They are the ones who supported the program before Lute Olson even got to town, they are the reason why he came here in the first place... because McKale Center was built due to their support of the program during Fred Snowden's time as coach. That's why it's near impossible to move them out of their choice seats, many have been in them since the 70s... as you can tell when watching on TV and 1/2 of them look like they might die by halftime from old age.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw man, no need to apologize and I don't mean to come off as a dick. Bring it up as much as you want... all I'm saying is the reason why CTP and I are passionate about this topic is because it's an old debate. All I'm saying is you shouldn't be surprised to see people get semi-heated over that topic, it's been that way for a long time.

I've said this countless times: I agree. McKale should have students sitting behind the benches and in full view of the TV cameras... but the reality is that the Athletic Department will never make that change as long as they are funded by those boosters. That is why I get salty about it... it's because many, many, many people share your opinion and have mentioned it countless times, but it will never change. That's just the way it is when the school is in a retirement community and those people have had tickets for 30+ years.

Fact is, many of those fans? They are a huge reason why Arizona basketball is what it is today. They are the ones who supported the program before Lute Olson even got to town, they are the reason why he came here in the first place... because McKale Center was built due to their support of the program during Fred Snowden's time as coach. That's why it's near impossible to move them out of their choice seats, many have been in them since the 70s... as you can tell when watching on TV and 1/2 of them look like they might die by halftime from old age.

No worries man. :suds:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hahahahahahaha, I love it!!! I gotta ruffle your feathers GS! Nah guys, it always in good fun. GS and I have gone back and forth about it and other topics for a while now, and we both know where we stand. We both agree on all of it, pretty much just playing devil's advocate on all of it.

It's definitely never going to change, as long as the money talks far more than the people whose asses fill the seats. I do think that the switch in '05 was a good step, and as good as it's gonna get.

I have the same debate with my parents, who are the exact one we are talking about. They got their tickets in like '81 (I think), and all they do is sit there with their headphones on and listen to Brian Jeffries all game, without saying a word. My dad's health has taken a serious turn for the worse this year, and now they can't even make it to the games. I'm trying to get home to be with them, and taking over their seats is just a nostalgic concession for all the memories they have provided me, by letting me sit in their seats from time to time. The only way the age of those seats is going to get any younger is tough passing the tickets on in people's wills, or slightly before then (which is the case with my parents). And because of the fiercely loyal fanbase that is AZ basketball, those seats will eventually get to the younger generations.

Here's to having a program with these kinds of "problems".

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everyone keeps saying that Zona needs to shoot better from outside... I think Zona needs to shoot less from outside (which would have the result of shooting better).

I feel like Nick (who has never really been a shooter) had a nice run for a few weeks, and now he falls back on the 3 way too often. His percentage is down, because his shot selection is down, IMO. York and Pitts are shooters, the rest of them shouldn't be pulling the trigger unless they've got a great look.

Earlier in the season this team did a much better job of moving the ball around to get an inside shot, and I'd like to see more of that (I know the loss of Brandon really hurts this).

I would also like to see Gordon live on the baseline instead of the perimeter. He could be a monster down there offensively, a la Derrick Williams.

Things are frustrating right now, but Miller's teams always seem to dip right about this time of the season, and peak in the tourney, so I'm not overly concerned about it.

Yes and no. I think that when AG is standing out on the perimeter and no one comes out to guard him, he needs to be able to make those shots (for him personally, and us as a team). Same with RHJ. Not that they even need to do it with a hand in their face, but certainly when guys are not respecting them. Because right now, they only come out for NJ and TJ (more and more). But the defenses know that only the back court can spread the defense right now, which is why it's so difficult for NJ. They are stuck on him out there, and he still feels that he needs to shoot to spread the defense.

I think that if the bigger guys can help spread the defense, then it gives NJ and TJ the opportunity to drive, and so defenses will take a step back (like they did in the beginning) to try and cheat inside to compensate for their post defenders who have to cover the wing(s). That's when NJ can have more open looks, which spreads the defense even more. It's at that point that we get back to being such a threat to score from anywhere on the floor. TJ can drive and dish under the basket, and so can NJ. Or they can catch a guy on his heals anticipating it the drive and pop back for an open three.

It's just when TJ and NJ (guards in general) are the only threats from outside, then the defensive backcourt is in their pocket. The rest of the defense is clogging the driving and passing lanes in the paint, because AG< RHJ, and Zeus can score from anywhere but, right now. TJ and NJ cant get the ball down to the post, nor can they drive to the hoop. If the bigs get the ball in the posts they have to go through a bunch of traffic. So TJ and NJ can't pass, which limits assists, and causes turnovers. The bigs can't pass the ball around in the post to find the open man, because it's Grand Central Station down there, and the offense bogs down.

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These different scheduled days are annoying. Thursday, then a Friday, and now a Wednesday. I liked the old format better.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
These different scheduled days are annoying. Thursday, then a Friday, and now a Wednesday. I liked the old format better.

Yeah, they gotta spread the games out so that as many as possible can be shown on the P12 channel. I don't have a huge problem with it, but it sucks that they spread them all out at the end like this for AZ: Fri, Wed, Sat, Wed, Sun, Wed, Sat. That is a pretty tough schedule to manage with trips back to Tucson from PHX on Fri, then up to Utah for the game by Wed, then over to Boulder by Sat, back to Tucson by Wed, on to Sunday, then up to Corvallis by Wed, and then to Eugene by Sunday. Lots of practice days broken up by travel days, and broken up by game days. Not as many consecutive practice days as if it were Thurs/Sat. But, it does give them an ectra day or two to get ready for the back end game of each weekend. It's ultimately 6 one way, half dozen the other. Just sucks that it's all in consecutive weeks. Who knows, maybe the players like it like that though.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I posted this over on PGU and I'm going to post it here as well because I feel like you guys are way too down on this team. I understand we are struggling but here's the reality of the situation:

We need to all just relax a little. Some of you are acting like we've never lost a game before.

Think about how very easily we could be 25-0 right now... I would be a little worried if we were getting blown out, but losing two road games vs. tourney-bound teams by a combined total of 5 points with controversial endings in both games is not something to panic about.

Sure, we are shooting horribly, but our defense will keep us in every single game we play this year. Even in the tourney. The only team that has been perfect is Syracuse (not counting Cupcake St.) and that took a 33 foot desperation three pointer, some close OT wins and a miracle steal and lay-in AT HOME vs. a mediocre NCST team.

My point is, every team in the nation has its flaws right now and there is not one team I look at and think "Oh boy, they would absolutely kill us" EVEN with the way we are playing right now. The bottom line is we will need to improve offensively to win a national title, but not by as much as you guys are making it out to be. This team can still compete with ANYONE in the nation on a neutral court. Believe that.

sting, sting, sting. We won. NO controversy. Get over it. Thanks for referring to us as a tourney bound team. Music to my ears.

Arizona_Sting

GoldMember
Hoopla Cash
$ 811.96
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
sting, sting, sting. We won. NO controversy. Get over it. Thanks for referring to us as a tourney bound team. Music to my ears.

There was definitely controversy. The Pac12 admitted its mistake... cmon, don't be that guy. I'm not saying we would've won, but if the T was called we'd get FT's and have the ball on OUR side of the court with a chance to tie or even take the lead. It's all over now, anyways. I'm over it. Pac12 refs are garbage.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There was definitely controversy. The Pac12 admitted its mistake... cmon, don't be that guy. I'm not saying we would've won, but if the T was called we'd get FT's and have the ball on OUR side of the court with a chance to tie or even take the lead. It's all over now, anyways. I'm over it. Pac12 refs are garbage.

much better reply. I accept that.

* Wisconsin football, *AZ basketball.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rumor has it that Jason Terry (along with Reggie Evans) are going to be traded to Sacramento for Marcus Thorton.

If so... that would be kind of cool to see Jet and Derrick Williams on the court together. Both would be reserves, so they likely would be playing together with the second unit most of the time. Terry's best days are behind him and D-Will's best days have not come yet in the NBA... if they ever will is TBD, but still. It's like two generations of Arizona basketball coming together. Class of 1999 and Class of 2013 playing together sound pretty cool to me.