• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ASU Football Offseason Thread

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predicting the Defensive Depth Chart for the 2014 Season:

Defensive Line:
DT Dalvon Stucky
NG Jaxon Hood
DE Marcus Hardison

Linebackers:
Devil; Darrius Caldwell
Spur; Antonio Longino
Will; DJ Calhoun
Sam; Salamo Fiso

Secondary:
Boundary Corner; Lloyd Carrington
Field Corner; Damarious Randall
Bandit; Marcus Ball
Saftey; James Johnson

This is just a prediction. I've never followed a team with this much depth before so really it's a crap shoot. Graham is a big believer in rotating, so expect the 2nd strings to see a lot of playing time as well. Players I think can make an impact coming in off the sideline:

Cherry
M Latu
Mendoza
Moeakiola
D. Scott
K. Brown
C Adams

Graham expects Hardison and Longino to step up big time next season.. So far my prediction is looking good.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My predictions:

Offense:

QB: TK
RB: DJ Foster with Hayes, Ballage, and either Lewis or Richards getting touches too
WR: Strong
WR: Lauderdale
Slot WR: Cameron Smith?
H-back: Nelson
LT: Evan Goodman
LG: Douglas
C: Nick Kelly
RG: Westerman
RT: Sulka

I think Ellis Jefferson and Cameron Smith will both get good playing time behind Strong and Lauderdale.

The slot position is interesting, I think DJ will still see some time there but it'll probably be the most contested position battle on offense. When Hayes committed I thought he was going to start here but after watching his film and listening to Graham talk about him I really think he's going to come in and compete for DJ's spot right away. The two Smiths, Tyler Whiley and Middlebrooks will compete here. Lauderdale and Ballage would probably excel in the slot too but they're needed elsewhere.

Defense:

NT: Hood
DT: Stuckey
DE: Hardison
Devil: Caldwell
Will LB: Longino
Sam LB: Fiso
Spur: Ball or Mendoza
Field Safety: Randall
Bandit Safety: James Johnson or Ball
Boundry Corner: Kweishi Brown
Field Corner: Carrington

Will LB looks to be a battle between Longino and Calhoun. Both bring a lot to the table and I expect whoever loses to still see the field a lot. Ball is too talented to keep off the field but I'm not sure where the coaches will play him. You could say the same thing about Mendoza and Chans Cox but I have concerns whether either can stay healthy for an entire season. Graham is also high on the Latu brothers too.

The most contested battles will be on the d-line and we'll probably see a lot more subs here than last year. Latu could be a game changer if he gets down to about 330 lbs but I'm not holding my breath. His presence played a big part in the second half comeback in the first Stanford game but I don't remember him ever seeing the field again except on the second team o-line.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My predictions:

Offense:

RB: DJ Foster with Hayes, Ballage, and either Lewis or Richards getting touches too

I think Ellis Jefferson and Cameron Smith will both get good playing time behind Strong and Lauderdale.

The slot position is interesting, I think DJ will still see some time there but it'll probably be the most contested position battle on offense. When Hayes committed I thought he was going to start here but after watching his film and listening to Graham talk about him I really think he's going to come in and compete for DJ's spot right away. The two Smiths, Tyler Whiley and Middlebrooks will compete here. Lauderdale and Ballage would probably excel in the slot too but they're needed elsewhere.

Defense:

Will LB looks to be a battle between Longino and Calhoun. Both bring a lot to the table and I expect whoever loses to still see the field a lot. Ball is too talented to keep off the field but I'm not sure where the coaches will play him. You could say the same thing about Mendoza and Chans Cox but I have concerns whether either can stay healthy for an entire season. Graham is also high on the Latu brothers too.

The most contested battles will be on the d-line and we'll probably see a lot more subs here than last year. Latu could be a game changer if he gets down to about 330 lbs but I'm not holding my breath. His presence played a big part in the second half comeback in the first Stanford game but I don't remember him ever seeing the field again except on the second team o-line.

I like it! Again, I've never followed an ASU team with this much depth/talent, so it's going to be an interesting camp. I think you're spot on on offense with a few exceptions in my opinion. Kelly is a natural Center and received quite a bit of praise from Graham. But.. I think it'd be hard to bench Teofilo with all of his starts. I guess my question is can someone else snap the ball? Ive been high on Goodman from the beginning and if he can have a good offseason in the weight room overall our Offensive Line will be much better than last year..

I see Haynes doing all of the return duties and playing in special packages on offense. I expect to see a lot more twin set formations with triple zone read and interesting running plays like Malzahn used to run at Auburn. Ballage and Foster in the backfield is scary! Lewis and Haynes coming in as the scat-back/homerun threat is a dagger. With all of the competition and Veteran players Richards will RS IMO.

Lauderdale opposite of Strong always.. That should be more of a constant that the speed of light.. Slot probably goes to Ric Smith because he's the returner.. I'm not really confident in his ability to catch in traffic, make the tough catch, and run after the ball though. He's sort of a one trick pony in that he just goes long. So I expect him to be on a very tight leash.. Whiley, Smith, and Foster gets looks there too with someone hopefully locking the position down before UCLA.

H-Back is Nelson all day.. I expect him to take a step us this year. Martinez gets looks in special packages.

Last edited by a moderator:

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My predictions:

Offense:

Defense:

I also like the idea of keeping Randall as a Saftey.. Brown and the kid from Philly supposedly are physical players and good jamming corners at the line.. Love that! But I also like Ball and Johnson in together too.. Look at Sherman 6-2 6-3 is becoming the prototype. Everything will be sorted out, but can't wait.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
First day of Spring Practice!!!

Richard leaving the team really opens up third receiver spot. Fork em!

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Lewis, Middlebrooks and Ellis Jefferson all had really good days. Once Lauderdale and the RB staple gets here that offense will be scary.

The first team front four on defense was Hardison at DE, Cherry at Tiger, Latu at NT (Hood is coming back from a hand surgery) and Cox at devil. Obviously that's going to change come fall but I like that they're all at least 6'3''.

With Caldwell at 6'6'' coming in with D1 experience plus Stuckey I think the run D is going to improve next year. Teams like Stanford won't be able to bully us. Just need to find a pass rush and replace the two corners which won't be an easy task.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It sounds like Lewis, Middlebrooks and Ellis Jefferson all had really good days. Once Lauderdale and the RB staple gets here that offense will be scary.

The first team front four on defense was Hardison at DE, Cherry at Tiger, Latu at NT (Hood is coming back from a hand surgery) and Cox at devil. Obviously that's going to change come fall but I like that they're all at least 6'3''.

With Caldwell at 6'6'' coming in with D1 experience plus Stuckey I think the run D is going to improve next year. Teams like Stanford won't be able to bully us. Just need to find a pass rush and replace the two corners which won't be an easy task.

You were right on with the Oline, with the exception of Westerman who probably can't be given a spot the first day of spring without Graham looking like he's playing favorites.. Glad to see Foster beefed up again after 2013 and reported at 205 lbs. The reports mentioned that he had a swagger about him today. Sounds like we're moving to more of a four front which makes some sense with bigger players IMO. Just as long as we get the same amount of pressure it's all good. Caldwell and Stucky will really change things, just need them to come I in shape. "Best first day since I've been here" CTG.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised non of you Scum Devils didn't talk about your spring game..

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Surprised non of you Scum Devils didn't talk about your spring game..

Not much to talk about. A lot of key battles won't be decided until fall camp. Other than the obvious replacing 9 starters on defense the only thing I saw that concerns me is receivers dropping too many passes.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is old news now but, ASU's proposed ban on kegs at tailgates is the most asinine idea I've ever heard. I haven't been a student now for 2 years but I'm still fresh enough to know, you drink whatever you can get your hands on at the tailgates. So, if they ban kegs more students are going to drink hard alcohol and get even more plastered. Or, everyone will bring 30 packs and feel the need to finish them because they don't want to waste it and they don't want to carry it. Stupid.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bma_OeiCQAAV8v2.jpg

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford goes tomorrow.
Sutton in 4.
Grice in 5.

Hearing Saints have interest in Bradford! Interesting. Too bad we gave up our 3rd pick.. He's not worth a 2nd.

asu_08

HIGH OCTANE
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford goes tomorrow.
Sutton in 4.
Grice in 5.

Hearing Saints have interest in Bradford! Interesting. Too bad we gave up our 3rd pick.. He's not worth a 2nd.

I think someone might take Irabor day three and with all the safeties that went in the first round Darby might get drafted too. Grice will be a steal wherever he goes.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bradford goes tomorrow.
Sutton in 4.
Grice in 5.

some good stuff. I think Sutton should have gone 2nd or 3rd RD.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carl Bradford: great passion, great strength, and seemingly great character. Shouldn't have left early. Officially a mistake.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carl Bradford: great passion, great strength, and seemingly great character. Shouldn't have left early. Officially a mistake.

I think if he remained a Devil he would have gone minimum, 2nd rd next year.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With Wadood gone there are no more Erickson players on defense in contention to start. IMO.

Best Chances:
Ezekiel Bishop
Jordan Simone

Very interesting! Btw, I consider Hood a Graham recruit because he was able to keep him.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Predicting the Defensive Depth Chart for the 2014 Season:

Defensive Line:
DT Dalvon Stucky
NG Jaxon Hood
DE Marcus Hardison

Linebackers:
Devil; Darrius Caldwell
Spur; Antonio Longino
Will; DJ Calhoun
Sam; Salamo Fiso

Secondary:
Boundary Corner; Lloyd Carrington
Field Corner; Damarious Randall
Bandit; Marcus Ball
Saftey; James Johnson

This is just a prediction. I've never followed a team with this much depth before so really it's a crap shoot. Graham is a big believer in rotating, so expect the 2nd strings to see a lot of playing time as well. Players I think can make an impact coming in off the sideline:

Cherry
M Latu
Mendoza
Moeakiola
D. Scott
K. Brown
C Adams

Darrius Caldwell will not enroll at ASU. Big hit to the Devilbacker position. Latu or Richardson need to step up. Either way, Bradford will be missed tremendously.