• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Game Thread: ASU @ AZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was clowning on you. Why would I keep it going?

You are a fairly young guy, and not originally from the area, right? I can tell you that those reasons (budget, population, student body, "sleeping giant") are the exact same ones used over and over and over and over and over and over and over for the past 30 years, since the Arizona schools joined the Pac.... and we are still waiting.

I have always wanted asu basketball to be competitive. It sucks for the Cats when asu is a sub-500 team... but spare us the same old nonsense.

Actual reasons why asu could, maybe, possibly be good in the future:

1: A bright young coach who can recruit California
2: Fans who show up to games to support the team, even if they are not playing well.

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#7 ASU's new Hardvard/Stanford Lawyer/NFL Executive will want to make a splash hire.
#8 ASU's facilities are being upgraded to compete with any team in the county.
#9 ASU is utilizing their biggest asset (RE) to create a multi-use athletic district that will be be secured by bonds and sold to institutional investors creating revenue that will be directly utilized by ASU athletics.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You are a fairly young guy, and not originally from the area, right? I can tell you that those reasons (budget, population, student body, "sleeping giant") are the exact same ones used over and over and over and over and over and over and over for the past 30 years, since the Arizona schools joined the Pac.... and we are still waiting.

I have always wanted asu basketball to be competitive. It sucks for the Cats when asu is a sub-500 team... but spare us the same old nonsense.

2: Fans who show up to games to support the team, even if they are not playing well.

Come to think of it, reasons 4, 5, and 6 have also been used for the last 30 years.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great. Overtime between 2 terrible teams. Such fun, lucky us.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great. Overtime between 2 terrible teams. Such fun, lucky us.

This seems to happen more and more. They need to schedule this shit better. Have some analysis in between the games, so if it goes to OT, then you can just go from game to game. This back to back garbage isn't working for me!!!!

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Says the guy who's consistently on sportshoopla talking about ASU athletics but all of a sudden doesn't support his school. Smh. Congrats Who, you've shown your true colors tonight and proved that you are indeed a fair-weather fan. You're an embarrassment to all and any ASU fans out there.

Try reading it's good for you..

It doesn't matter where I was raised, there are metrics that can predict the future success of any venture. ASU will be competitive in basketball if the school makes it a priority. The investment needs to be made and once that happens and the team wins consistently the fans will show up.

The New Orleans Saints is a great example. For 50 years they were referred to as the "Aints" and without that SB they still would be considered one of the worst teams in the nation. But something interesting happened. The owner saw potential in the brand after Katrina (when people had extra money from FEMA) and he invested in a new coach and a promising new QB. Next thing you know, the Saints are a constant playoff team.

And yes, I'm young and therefore represent the future thought of ASU. The tide is turning in Tempe. Phoenix will again have one of the highest rates of immigration of young professionals in the county which will be fueled by ASU Grad's. We continue to get stronger, we continue to get bigger, and we continue to make more money.

DweeberAZ

Hoopla Cash
$ 928.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What channel is FoxSport 2 on? NM... no HD... Cox 341

WhoDatDevil

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
#10 ASU offers programs of any difficultly. Recruits that have a high priority on academics can reap the benefits of a good degree.
#11 Phoenix is a professional sports market and Scottsdale is one of the top resort cities in the country. Scouts and executives are here constantly and ASU offers a unique opportunity for exposure.
#12 Besides GCU, there are no other D1 programs in the Valley. Nearly 5 million residents and only one local option. If a recruit wants to play in front of their family every game, no better place than ASU.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Whodat... I think you missed the point. More power to you for having big dreams, that's great.

However, you should study your history as well. Asu athletics have pumped money into basketball on many separate occasions and at those times their fans were using positive future tenses like "will" just as you are now.

All I am saying to you is this: Temper your expectations until you see forward progress. If you make claims about how great asu basketball "WILL" be in 3+ years... when presently they have a coach on death-row, a terrible 2014 recruiting class and their best two players leaving after this season? You are just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Instead, I recommend you say things like "I like the direction the athletic department is going and with their new AD I hope they can hire a good coach when Herb is gone and hope that they have success in the future."

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i am going to kill everyone on providence and st johns....oh, and foxsports1 too

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Don't get us wrong Whodat, we actually want ASU to get better. We're tired of AZ being the only one that teams prep for when they play us both. But of everything you listed, Arizona Basketball is still 100 miles south of Tempe. Miller gets his pick in the west. And it's going to take a lot to change that, starting with a coach that can win despite that. Start there, it's going to take a few years.

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey hey calm down. I'm sure there are plenty of st.johns and providence fans on the west coast.

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
ITS OVER, IT NEVER STARTED

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
... I really like it when RHJ brings the ball up after a rebound... but when he gets to the 3pt line and the defense is set? He needs to give it up to a guard.

Too many times this year he has forced the issue and had a bad turnover.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jahii is 0-6 with 0 assists so far...

520GGATO

Southern Arizona Servin'
Hoopla Cash
$ 85.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wow. I missed the first half of the number one team in all the land just to watch two mediocre teams go into double overtime.