• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

ALL THINGS SUH

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh/CJ/Stafford are worth the money they are going to be making next year. In order to have 3 elite players you have to pay elite money. You surround those 3 guys with solid role players and we should be successful. The fact is the contracts of these 3 are not what's killing us. We have some piss poor cap management but its not with these guys. Houston, Burleson, Delmas contracts are harder to deal with than Suh's. Suh deserves to get more than the 5 year 55 million deal. Honestly 6 year 60 or 65 million sounds about right. CJ is worth his contract. Locking up one of the greatest to ever play the game is a no brainer. Stafford is questionable but no doubt he is the best option available to the Lions the last few years and I believe was held back by our former coaches.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the whoever the highest paid D player in the nfl is will be the benchmark. Suh deserves more than whoever that is and he'll get it.

I would absolutely HATE to lose Suh, but Detroit is going to have to break the bank to try and re-sign him. Is a defensive lineman worth paying an astronomical amount for in today's pass happy NFL?

To put it in perspective -- The #1 and #2 highest paid defensive linemen are McCoy and Suh, both making the money from their rookie contracts (both made about 12.5 million). In 2013, the #3 highest paid defensive tackle made 8.5 million (Haloti Ngata).

Detroit already gave Suh a 5 year 60 million dollar contract for his rookie deal because of the whacked out rookie salaries in the past. What do you think it is going to take to extend him? Are we going to give him a 5 year 80 million dollar deal? That is absurd for a defensive linemen.

I think Suh is one of the top DL in the NFL, but unless he takes a contract that basically mirrors his rookie deal -- Detroit is going to kill themselves if they re-sign him. Geno Atkins has been the best DT in the NFL the last 3 years and he was rewarded with a contract that was less than Suh's rookie deal.

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Were stuck with old rules, plain and simple......Unless we hit the lottery with a few guys that arn't expected to see big money we will be in cap hell for atleast 5 years.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People will bash me for this but I'm not too crazy about giving Suh that huge pay day. I would be looking to trade him for some picks, players, etc. How can he be worth more than Atkins? And I don't think he's the face of the franchise, CJ is.

Valion78

SportsHoopla Noob
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
People will bash me for this but I'm not too crazy about giving Suh that huge pay day. I would be looking to trade him for some picks, players, etc. How can he be worth more than Atkins? And I don't think he's the face of the franchise, CJ is.

I agree that Suh is a beast. I worry about him having Jay Z for an agent. It screams that he is going to try to get paid through the roof. I would rather spend that kind of money on multiple players. There are plenty of teams with defenses better than ours who don't have d linemen the caliber of Suh or the pay of him either.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would be looking to trade him for some picks, players, etc.

I think that is the problem, and someone correct me if I am wrong. I am almost positive that I read, if Detroit trades him, they take an astronomical hit on their cap (like 19 million or something like that) because of the money they have pushed back to his final year of the contract.

So trading Suh really isn't going to save the Lions much of anything, other than whatever they would spend on a contract extension.

People will bash me for this but I'm not too crazy about giving Suh that huge pay day.

If they are going to bash you -- They will be bashing me too. Atkins contract should be the ceiling for what Suh is offered. 11 million a year for a DT is a MONSTER contract. No way can Detroit give Suh 15 or 16 million a year and expect to field a really good defense, when they already have monster contracts with Stafford and Calvin.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry about him having Jay Z for an agent. It screams that he is going to try to get paid through the roof.
See Robinson Cano.

I did not like hearing Suh made that move. Will be interesting to see the deal that gets made.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think a contract similar to genes is what we should expect. Either a little bigger or close to the same with more guaranteed. He's arguably the best d tackle and has the leverage.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's arguably the best d tackle and has the leverage.

That is the biggest issue with Suh. He is one of the best defensive tackles in the NFL, but because of where he was drafted by the Lions -- He was given a MONSTER contract already (5 years 60 million -- same goes with McCoy).

The guy most considered the best in the game right now at DT is Geno Atkins. He has been pretty much unblockable the last two years and actually finished with more sacks than Suh this year, even though he played 7 less games and in 2012, he was right there for DPOY after finishing with 12.5 sacks.

I LOVE having Suh on the Lions. Suh and Calvin are by far, my favorite two guys to watch on the field. Is he going to take a 'pay cut' from his original contract to sign with Detroit or take the exact same contract he received as a rookie? I really doubt it now after signing with Jay-Z and it isn't as if Detroit is a place where you will take a hometown discount.

How much should the Lions invest in a DT? Say he gets a 25% raise from his rookie deal -- that is 5 years 75 million and he will be making 4 million more than the next highest paid DT. Even it it is a 10% raise -- that is 5 years 66 million and he is making 1.5 million more than the next highest paid DT.

While I would absolutely HATE to lose Suh -- if Detroit has to break the bank to try and re-sign him -- I'd much rather see them use that money elsewhere on multiple players.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Suh is a beast. I worry about him having Jay Z for an agent. It screams that he is going to try to get paid through the roof. I would rather spend that kind of money on multiple players. There are plenty of teams with defenses better than ours who don't have d linemen the caliber of Suh or the pay of him either.

Let's not be crazy here guys. Remember it's not our money that is being spent. If Mayhew could hit a couple defensive picks this year and get some good play on the cheap, that should balance everything else out cap wise.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why should he get more than the most productive DT over the same period of time? His contract should be right in line with Geno Atkins. Suh is one of my favorite players but he has been a detriment at times and less productive. I'd like him to be a Lion for life but I'd prefer his contract not cripple the organization.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Suh is not worth putting this team in worse financial shape. He's good but his numbers are lower than Atkins.

Quackerjacked

Falcon
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to get mor because of the position he is in. I would be happy with anything up to ten percent more then the gene contract.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can dump Delmas this year and Houston next year (2 mill dead though) and draft those positions. Neither has been stellar. We need to start cleaning house on non-performers.

I think Stafford has been a much bigger drain on this team especially since he had 1 really good year overall.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's going to get mor because of the position he is in. I would be happy with anything up to ten percent more then the gene contract.

That is what scares me about the position the team is in during negotiations with Suh. Suh holds all the power, because of the team's brilliant cap moves to push his cap hit back over and over. At this point -- he is set to make like 8 million more than the highest paid defensive player in 2014.

It will clear up cap space if they get him to sign an extension, but it will ultimately hand cuff the team in the future, as they are going to have to pay him an astronomical amount to spread the cap hit over the length of the next contract.

I hope I am completely wrong on the salary cap part of the contract, as I am far from an expert when it comes to what his cap hit will be. Maybe Dr. Evil can fill us in on the consequences of re-signing Suh long term.

TrustMeIamRight

Hoopla Cash
$ 28.63
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We can dump Delmas this year and Houston next year (2 mill dead though) and draft those positions. Neither has been stellar. We need to start cleaning house on non-performers.

I think Stafford has been a much bigger drain on this team especially since he had 1 really good year overall.

I agree -- Stafford has to perform better for this team to compete. It isn't a secret that as he struggled down the stretch, so did the Lions.

I also agree they need to cut loose players who aren't performing up to their contracts, when it is possible. The only issue with replacing players in the secondary with draft picks is -- outside of QB, the CB position is probably the toughest to get acclimated to in the NFL for a college player. So it isn't as if drafting replacements for players who aren't performing is going to be the quick fix for Detroit.

I can say -- I read an article today where Rod Woodson is mentoring Darius Slay. He has had over his house and he breaks down film with Slay and takes him over to a field by his house and runs drills with him. I think this will help out that kid tremendously. I think we will see a jump in play next year.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can say -- I read an article today where Rod Woodson is mentoring Darius Slay. He has had over his house and he breaks down film with Slay and takes him over to a field by his house and runs drills with him. I think this will help out that kid tremendously. I think we will see a jump in play next year.
I googled it b/c I was interested. Here is the link for others:

Hall of Fame CB Rod Woodson mentoring Lions' Darius Slay through growing pains | MLive.com

This was a very good article with a lot of insight as to Slay's college years and his progression going forward.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good read. Not many guys have more first hand expierience than Woodson.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Worth every penny. Find WRs in late rounds like everyone else and do what it takes to keep our D line intact.

Agree 100 percent. Suh is the future of the lions and we can find a good second receiver later in draft.

gvsulaker82

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Well thats because you are under the impression that the lions should only be drafting more and more wide receivers and ignoring the defense. Players as good as suh come along never. Why trade him for draft picks when you already struck gold drafting him. Whats the point of trading him in hopes you draft some players near as good as him (they wont). Your idea reminds me of teams like the royals in baseball. Draft well, develop the player to be one of the leagues best then trade hi. For more picks all the while never being a great team.