• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: AL West will be decided this weekend

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Is there anything tougher for a sports fan than being a Ranger fan. Some of the most devastating lows along with some great moments but not the ultimate yet. It is funny to go back and look at our posts we are on such an emotional roller coaster. But isn't that life in general.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave him some shit earlier in the season. I can only beg forgiveness. I knew he simply wanted to help the team, and just couldn't. I was just frustrated.

Btw, anybody want Gallo moving Beltre off his base next season?
We all were and no to Gallo

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I gave him some shit earlier in the season. I can only beg forgiveness. I knew he simply wanted to help the team, and just couldn't. I was just frustrated.

When you have about 20 something RBIs halfway thru the season we are all forgiven for the grief we gave Beltre. But that is all a part of the roller coaster. All aboard for the next ride.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Beltre can play 3B until he is 90.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
When you have about 20 something RBIs halfway thru the season we are all forgiven for the grief we gave Beltre. But that is all a part of the roller coaster. All aboard for the next ride.

He was playing with a fucked up thumb after his perennial slow start...That thumb derailed him putting up a 5 win season. He's been killing it the last 2 and half months.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not me

WastinSomeTime

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He was playing with a fucked up thumb after his perennial slow start...That thumb derailed him putting up a 5 win season. He's been killing it the last 2 and half months.
True but he also was swinging at pitches he had no business swinging at. His pitch selection has been much better during this hot streak. But regardless, what I was saying is you and I and many others had our reasons to be upset at the time. Winning cures all ills.

RevSader

In Beltre we trust.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
True but he also was swinging at pitches he had no business swinging at. His pitch selection has been much better during this hot streak. But regardless, what I was saying is you and I and many others had our reasons to be upset at the time. Winning cures all ills.

Belts has made a career of hitting some balls that most guys cannot reach. He showed way more patience though like you said. His walk rate was nearly double that of the first half. He actually had one more strike out in the second half if you can believe it. But he only struck out 65 times this year so I can forgive him of that.

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm gonna track down tickets to Sunday's game. Any tips?

I'm looking to get tickets as well. So it's going to be an interesting couple of weeks because my GF is Canadian from Toronto and she's a die-hard Jays fan. What she's feeling now is how we all felt in 2010 so ya it'll be interesting nonetheless.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any idea whether that will be a day or night game?

WilltheThrill

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like our chances in this first series, and here's why:

Momentum plays such a huge role in baseball's playoffs. Rarely does the paper champion win it all, much less even make the World Series. We saw it last year when the Royals caught fire and just steamrolled their way to the WS. The Angels were the much better team during the regular season, but they were promptly swept. The Phillies were the juggernaut in 2010 with Halladay, Hamels, Lee, and Oswalt, but the Giants took them out on their way to the title. And the Cardinals certainly weren't the best team in baseball in 2011. But we know what momentum and luck did for them.

Now this year, the Blue Jays will likely be the favorites on paper with David Price and their 3-headed acne-covered monster at the plate.

BUT, when was the last meaningful game the Jays played? Over a week ago against NY? They've been on cruise control and just playing around for about 10 days now. The Rangers, however, have been playing 100% focused, every out matters, every pitch matters, treat this game like it's your last, playoff baseball for almost the last 2 weeks. I'm not saying the Jays can't just flip the switch and go into the do-or-die mode the playoffs require, but it's a hard thing to do. The Rangers will be the underdogs all while having a lot more playoff experience on their roster. I really do like our chances.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like our chances in this first series, and here's why:

Momentum plays such a huge role in baseball's playoffs. Rarely does the paper champion win it all, much less even make the World Series. We saw it last year when the Royals caught fire and just steamrolled their way to the WS. The Angels were the much better team during the regular season, but they were promptly swept. The Phillies were the juggernaut in 2010 with Halladay, Hamels, Lee, and Oswalt, but the Giants took them out on their way to the title. And the Cardinals certainly weren't the best team in baseball in 2011. But we know what momentum and luck did for them.

Now this year, the Blue Jays will likely be the favorites on paper with David Price and their 3-headed acne-covered monster at the plate.

BUT, when was the last meaningful game the Jays played? Over a week ago against NY? They've been on cruise control and just playing around for about 10 days now. The Rangers, however, have been playing 100% focused, every out matters, every pitch matters, treat this game like it's your last, playoff baseball for almost the last 2 weeks. I'm not saying the Jays can't just flip the switch and go into the do-or-die mode the playoffs require, but it's a hard thing to do. The Rangers will be the underdogs all while having a lot more playoff experience on their roster. I really do like our chances.

Then there's the 2011 Rangers. I think we clinched with like 7 games left to play and did exactly what we were supposed to, but I see your point. The 2011 cardinals had one TORP in Carpenter. They had Pujols, Molina, Carpenter and 7 other guys. They were far and away nowhere near the best team on paper.

Your point about momentum is well founded. It's exactly why I said if the Rangers lost today they wouldn't win another game this year. But they did win, and in fantastic fashion. We have our playoff ace who will get two chances in the ALDS if it goes to 5 games. We have our bulldog, Colby Lewis, who always seems to step up when the lights shine brightest in the playoffs. We have our X-factor, Derek Holland who has the ability to absolutely take a game over and shut an offense down. Then we get to choose from a poor man's Johan Santana and a legit #3 pitcher who has been a game one starter as our fourth starting pitcher. We have our bullpen, which I'll put up against anybody's in baseball.

The truth is, great pitching shuts down scary lineups in the playoffs. We have the ability to do that. We have a lineup that has multiple contributors on any given night. This offense doesn't stop if Fielder or Beltre have an off night.

Will we beat Toronto? I have no idea. But how many saw the 2011 cardinals winning it all? How many saw last year's royals 90 feet away in game 7? How many "experts" saw the 2015 Rangers winning the American League West crown?

How many "experts" see the 2015 Rangers winning the World Series.....????

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh before the season I said Beltre, Moreland, and Prince will combine for 65 homers...I was wrong guys. They hit 64. Please forgive me.
If it wasn't for the acquisition of Napoli Moreland might have gotten at least one more and you would have been even more right about that.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
FUNNY. Didn't hear a word from Jaar1 today.

That's hysterical you should say this. I had left the site and was off to football land, and the thought struck me, "where the hell was that butt-wipe Jaar all day?"

Ya beat me too it.

saddles

Be Patient and Finish Right #TakeBackTX
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Gallo's future is in the OF until the Rangers part ways with Beltre.

donaldson79

former loyal Hoopilist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm looking to get tickets as well. So it's going to be an interesting couple of weeks because my GF is Canadian from Toronto and she's a die-hard Jays fan. What she's feeling now is how we all felt in 2010 so ya it'll be interesting nonetheless.

I've already got a ticket for Sundays game, but get this, I may not be able to go. Bummer......but prior obligations are exactly that.

I won't know for sure until Tues of this week though.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've already got a ticket for Sundays game, but get this, I may not be able to go. Bummer......but prior obligations are exactly that.

Stay in touch with me on that, Don. If it's a day game, I'm going.

DT LUNA

Vietnam Veteran
Hoopla Cash
$ 950.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Be glad you have a choice. I don't

ESPN Refugee

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen my fair share of Jays games b/c of my girlfriend and they're a great team top to bottom. They almost remind me of the 2010-11 Ranger teams b/c their offense is deadly and their pitching staff is really good beyond David Price. They've got a great and loud stadium too which has been like that even during their leaner years.