• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AJ Ellis is awful

Marlins Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you being serious? His OBP is slightly better than two marquee Dodgers, a struggling Ethier and a just finding his stride Crawford. Otherwise, Puig, Dee, Uribe, Gonzo, SVS, Han Ram, Turner AND Kemp, who strikes more than anyone, has a superior OBP. Plus, Ellis bats in the 8 hole more often than not and see a lot of balls in light of the pitcher behind him. He should get on base! It was his noted strength years ago, working counts. But he's now batting .181 with one of the worst OBPs on the team, so no idea what you're talking about other than just being contrarian.

First off, the "handles the staff well" is just bullshit baseball speak. The Dodgers climbed back into the race when Ellis was on the DL and Butera was playing. Furthermore, the back end of the rotation (Haren) has struggled until of late. I think Greinke/Kershaw will be just fine with someone other than Ellis calling the game. Not buying it.

And Butera has no errors but caught 10 stealing in 44 games versus 9 caught stealing in 58 games for Ellis. Furthermore, Ellis let some key balls get away from him against the Cardinals last year in the NLCS. Bad technique, runners advancing.

Are you being serious? His OBP is slightly better than two marquee Dodgers, a struggling Ethier and a just finding his stride Crawford. Otherwise, Puig, Dee, Uribe, Gonzo, SVS, Han Ram, Turner AND Kemp, who strikes more than anyone, has a superior OBP. Plus, Ellis bats in the 8 hole more often than not and see a lot of balls in light of the pitcher behind him. He should get on base! It was his noted strength years ago, working counts. But he's now batting .181 with one of the worst OBPs on the team, so no idea what you're talking about other than just being contrarian.

The one thing that would slightly support your position would be walks per plate appearance as Ellis would lead the team (and any 8 spot hitter should, it's their job and pitch selection). However, he is 4th in GIDP plays!!! Behind three power hitters who have more PAs!!! And three guys that hit for power ahead of him while Ellis has a sub .600 OPS- just awful. Butera has a slightly higher OPS.

So his OBP is okay for the 8 spot and well below a majority of the team, his defensive numbers are inferior to the back up catcher, he's batting .181, and has a sub .600 ops, I guess he calls a great game. This logic builds champions.

You do understand, don't you, that catcher is a traditionally weak offensive position in MLB?

The concept of comparing a catcher's offensive abilities to a Hanley or Puig is ludicrously misguided.

The Dodgers don't need AJ Ellis to hit like Hanley to win a WS. They need HANLEY to hit like Hanley and for Ellis to keep Kershaw and Co. comfortable on the mound.

Marlins Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the idea that handling a pitching staff well is just "BS baseball speak" shows merely a severe lack of appreciation for baseball nuance on your part.

I guess not everyone realizes this but pitch calling, pitch framing, knowing when to slow the game down, blocking wild pitches, checking baserunners, the ability to recognize if a breaking ball is hanging too much, etc... these are all invaluable skills pitchers and managers lean on from their backstops.

There's a reason all of MLB recognizes the value of a defensive catcher with good skills behind the plate, even if you dont

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also the idea that handling a pitching staff well is just "BS baseball speak" shows merely a severe lack of appreciation for baseball nuance on your part.

I guess not everyone realizes this but pitch calling, pitch framing, knowing when to slow the game down, blocking wild pitches, checking baserunners, the ability to recognize if a breaking ball is hanging too much, etc... these are all invaluable skills pitchers and managers lean on from their backstops.

There's a reason all of MLB recognizes the value of a defensive catcher with good skills behind the plate, even if you dont

Dude, because you played high school ball stop acting all high and mighty as if you have some unforeseen insight into the intricacies and nuances baseball. You better be a young Benito Santiago behind the plate or Yader Molina if you're batting .181, lead the team in DPs per PA and throw out fewer runners than the back up catcher.

His numbers proves he is awful at the plate and mediocre behind it. If you want argue based upon nuances and say I don't understand, by all means go for it. You'll win the argument every time in your own head.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we don't need Ellis to win a silver slugger award, but he's been downright awful with the bat and defensively this year, too.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree we don't need Ellis to win a silver slugger award, but he's been downright awful with the bat and defensively this year, too.

That's all I'm saying. I too would give him a pass if I saw a defensive spark, but instead he is sluggish behind the plate and offers nothing more than Butera. I suspect his knee is the issue.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, maybe, Butera is definitely a better defender... Butera is an awful hitter, but probably a better option. FedEx is a good defender and the best hitter of the bunch, so he should really be playing, but Dodgers management doesn't believe and getting rid of vet, grit players.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, maybe, Butera is definitely a better defender... Butera is an awful hitter, but probably a better option. FedEx is a good defender and the best hitter of the bunch, so he should really be playing, but Dodgers management doesn't believe and getting rid of vet, grit players.

Where is FedEx? Injured?

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAA... killing the ball, like he always does in Albuquerque, wish it would halfway translate to LA.

Marlins Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, because you played high school ball stop acting all high and mighty as if you have some unforeseen insight into the intricacies and nuances baseball. You better be a young Benito Santiago behind the plate or Yader Molina if you're batting .181, lead the team in DPs per PA and throw out fewer runners than the back up catcher.

His numbers proves he is awful at the plate and mediocre behind it. If you want argue based upon nuances and say I don't understand, by all means go for it. You'll win the argument every time in your own head.

Hey now, I was a damn good HS baseball player.

If I do say so myself...

Marlins Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AAA... killing the ball, like he always does in Albuquerque, wish it would halfway translate to LA.

Everybody's productive in the PCL. At the same time though there are a few Isotopes-turned-Dodgers who are producing at a similar level in LA, although at the moment Dee Gordon is the only one coming to mind. Jog Pederson and Alex Guerrero will most likely still hit in LA, at least.

Marlins Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ was good last year. Blake DeWitt had his 15 minutes a few years back.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Everybody's productive in the PCL. At the same time though there are a few Isotopes-turned-Dodgers who are producing at a similar level in LA, although at the moment Dee Gordon is the only one coming to mind. Jog Pederson and Alex Guerrero will most likely still hit in LA, at least.

This is true and the elevation in Albuquerque really exacerbates things. However, I would note that Fox and especially McCourt fleeced and neglected the farm system for nearly a decade. That is probably the #1 reason Kasten was hired and why he was so successful in Atlanta, the guy could build a farm system. There was no focus on development, so no one was ever interested in our prospects or it was Kershaw (and he's untouchable of course).

Who is to say about Joc, Corey or Alex. I'd love to see Alex go back to his natural position of shortstop, not sign Han Ram as Dee is making a great case for being the every day 2nd baseman for the next few years. However, it will be a dog fight between Corey and Alex in the coming years - going to be interesting. One of those pieces might be moved once a clear front runner emerges.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seager is already CLEARLY ahead of Guerrero

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm trying not to jinx it and keep an open mind. It baffles the mind as to how some guys never translate in the big leagues. Options, I like to have options!

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aj Ellis update.... Batting .182 - worst Dodger at the plate with 200 PAs?

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's still really young though, no harm in letting him get some experience down in the minors. Dodgers have a good amount of SS if you count Arruebarrena, who hasn't been too shabby with the bat so far this year (when he's been healthy).

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
.180 with 200 ABs and 36 hits.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Drew Butera plz (never thought I'd see the day I'd say that)

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aj's heating up!