• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

LA2W: Catcher

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Current Situation: AJ Ellis is a fantastic defensive catcher whom teammate Zack Greinke has called "a pitching coach behind the plate." He has excellent plate discipline and vision which allows him to get on base, however a lack of speed and power otherwise render him ineffective from an offensive perspective.

In other words, he's not a very good hitter.

Fed-Ex is a young backup catcher who hits very well in the minors but no so much in the bigs.

Do the Dodgers stick with these two again next year or should the organization try to bring in someone else?

Internal Options:

Catcher
AJ Ellis
Tim Federowicz

Before you start digging through the minors, I have a spoiler alert: there's really no one there. Organization is very thin at catcher.

Free Agents:

Catchers
Henry Blanco (42)
John Buck (33)
Ramon Hernandez (38)
Brian McCann (30)
Jose Molina (38)
Dioner Navarro (30)
Wil Nieves (36)
Miguel Olivo (35)
Brayan Pena (32)
A.J. Pierzynski (37)
Humberto Quintero (34)
Carlos Ruiz (35)
Jarrod Saltalamacchia (29)
Kelly Shoppach (34)
Geovany Soto (31)
Kurt Suzuki (30) - $8.5MM club option with a $650K buyout
Yorvit Torrealba (35)

------

Another way of asking the earlier question: Does AJ Ellis' have so much defensive and pitch-calling prowess that it outweighs his offensive shortcomings or should the Dodgers look to bring in someone with a bigger bat? Also, is Fed-Ex good enough as a backup to warrant a return to the big league roster next season?

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My temptation is to explore signing Brian McCann, but the Braves will probably tender him, so the Dodgers would have to give up a first round draft choice. Plus, McCann has had some injury issues.

All in all, with Ellis' prowess as a defensive catcher and his pitch calling talents, I'm inclined to want to keep Ellis. The Dodgers have enough offense to make up for his lack of same and I do like how selective he is at the plate. He does contribute some rather timely hits from time to time.

I also like Fed-X. He hits well enough considering his usage and has a very good arm.

So, with what is reasonably available, I would bring back our current tandem next season.

Old1949

Geriatric Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:agree:
We have higher priorities than finding a new catcher. Ellis/Fedex is working fine.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Old and Silas, I think FedEx is going to be a starter somewhere someday.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be upgrade? Sure .. Will we? No

AJE/FedEx will be back next year, but after next year I think a change could be in order

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Could be upgrade? Sure .. Will we? No

AJE/FedEx will be back next year, but after next year I think a change could be in order

That's what I'm thinking, too.

2015's Free Agent Catchers:

John Baker (34)
Ryan Doumit (34)
Ryan Hanigan (34)
Nick Hundley (31) - $5MM club option
Gerald Laird (35)
Russell Martin (32)
Jeff Mathis (32) - $1.5MM club option
David Ross (38)

Seeing that terrible list makes me want to think harder about some of 2014's options. Who knows, maybe there's a trade to be had for someone younger? Blue Jays gave up d'Arnaud for RA Dickey - perhaps it'll happen that the Dodgers will find themselves with a surplus of something and be able to wheel that into something?

As of right now, though, it does seem that staying pat AJ is the best option. We'll just have to give that Casey Blake trade by Ned Colletti some dirty looks in the meantime.

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by the Casey Blake trade, you mean having given up Carlos Santana?? Santana has been good not the superstar people thought he would be... plus his knees have forced him to play more 1B than C lately... I am perfectly content with AJ Ellis/Fed Ex..

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If by the Casey Blake trade, you mean having given up Carlos Santana?? Santana has been good not the superstar people thought he would be... plus his knees have forced him to play more 1B than C lately... I am perfectly content with AJ Ellis/Fed Ex..

I'd way rather have Santana AND AJ Ellis (we'd have both).

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's what I'm thinking, too.

2015's Free Agent Catchers:

John Baker (34)
Ryan Doumit (34)
Ryan Hanigan (34)
Nick Hundley (31) - $5MM club option
Gerald Laird (35)
Russell Martin (32)
Jeff Mathis (32) - $1.5MM club option
David Ross (38)

Seeing that terrible list makes me want to think harder about some of 2014's options. Who knows, maybe there's a trade to be had for someone younger? Blue Jays gave up d'Arnaud for RA Dickey - perhaps it'll happen that the Dodgers will find themselves with a surplus of something and be able to wheel that into something?

As of right now, though, it does seem that staying pat AJ is the best option. We'll just have to give that Casey Blake trade by Ned Colletti some dirty looks in the meantime.

Bring back Russell Martin! Hell I wish we still had him for his on field play

Maybe not superstar, but better than what we have now and for the future by quite a bit

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
over the last two years, Ellis has batted .256/.349/.389 with an OPS+ of 107 in 935 PA. Not great, but when you factor in defense, you've got yourself a pretty good catcher. I'd take him over Salty.

navamind

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

His bat plays pretty well at 1B.

Villain

#VillainYourFriend
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
over the last two years, Ellis has batted .256/.349/.389 with an OPS+ of 107 in 935 PA. Not great, but when you factor in defense, you've got yourself a pretty good catcher. I'd take him over Salty.

Agree. But that's no reason to get complacent. The organization is very thin at catcher, I would prefer to have some more options.

His bat plays pretty well at 1B.

:nod: