• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

AJ Ellis is awful

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not that good behind the plate aside from managing the staff well. As for "managing the staff well," I kind of feel like that's a bullshit moniker in order to say something positive about catchers who suck.

This guy is a fucking wreck at the plate. I know he had a banged up knee, but dear lord we need to develop a catcher sooner than later. I'd take that pudgy little Ruiz in Philly if he was available.

HammerDown

Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 198.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been baffled when Dodgers fans pretend like AJ Ellis is anything but dogshit.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've always been baffled when Dodgers fans pretend like AJ Ellis is anything but dogshit.

He's 4 for his last 34. At least to of those hits were doubles. He's batting .199 with a .589 OPS. Holy shit he sucks.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellis "Bag of Shit" Tour appears to be unending. Wow, he fucking sucks.

10 for 59 in July and 1 for his last 15.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ was one of the better defensive catchers last year, this year though, he's been hurt and even his defense is really bad right now. He's never been much of an offensive player but he's not showing much of anything right now.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ was one of the better defensive catchers last year, this year though, he's been hurt and even his defense is really bad right now. He's never been much of an offensive player but he's not showing much of anything right now.

There were a lot of passed balls last year and crucial ones getting away from him in the playoffs as I recall.

OutlawImmortal

Certified Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There were a lot of passed balls last year and crucial ones getting away from him in the playoffs as I recall.

May be true but the stats say he was in the top 10 in almost every defensive category for a catcher. This year I agree with you though, he's not showing very much skill in any area.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, Ellis has been garbage this year, I hate to say it, but I want FedEx as our starting catcher.

Russell Martin in 2015

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Ellis I think he'll come around. I never thought I'd say this but I want FedEx back. Send Butera down. FedEx at least can throw runners out.

Silas

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't stomach having Martin back after what he said, when he left the Dodgers, about not trying hard. I lost all respect for him at that point.

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't stomach having Martin back after what he said, when he left the Dodgers, about not trying hard. I lost all respect for him at that point.

But he can play, I'd welcome him back

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Ellis I think he'll come around. I never thought I'd say this but I want FedEx back. Send Butera down. FedEx at least can throw runners out.

Perhaps, but Ellis is now batting .186 through one at bat today.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Holy shit... Aj Ellis hit what is most likely a meaningless home run, but insurance nonetheless!

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Aj Ellis is a total useless pile of shit.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
AJ 0-4 tonight.... He fucking blows

LASports96

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
lol Ellis' and our catchers have been awful

FedEx PLS (never thought I'd say that)

Chilipepper

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellis will come around. Especially in the playoffs. You heard it here first! I guess you can't get any worse than .186. Nothing but up from now on.

Marlins Fan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He's not that good behind the plate aside from managing the staff well. As for "managing the staff well," I kind of feel like that's a bullshit moniker in order to say something positive about catchers who suck.

This guy is a fucking wreck at the plate. I know he had a banged up knee, but dear lord we need to develop a catcher sooner than later. I'd take that pudgy little Ruiz in Philly if he was available.

Ellis isn't hitting worth a crap but he is getting on base and how is it that on a team full of all star talent you single out the catcher, a position not known for great hitters, as the big problem?

Also pitch calling and pitch framing and things of that nature are real qualities some only catchers possess, which is probably why so many Dodgers' pitchers like Ellis so much and rave about his abilities behind the plate. As a Marlins fan I can tell you Saltalamacchia is not a good catcher behind the plate and you can tell just by watching him play every night. His offensive numbers aren't much better than Ellis' either, and Salty is using up a much larger percentage of his teams' collective payroll.

lasportzphan

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ellis isn't hitting worth a crap but he is getting on base and how is it that on a team full of all star talent you single out the catcher, a position not known for great hitters, as the big problem?

Also pitch calling and pitch framing and things of that nature are real qualities some only catchers possess, which is probably why so many Dodgers' pitchers like Ellis so much and rave about his abilities behind the plate. As a Marlins fan I can tell you Saltalamacchia is not a good catcher behind the plate and you can tell just by watching him play every night. His offensive numbers aren't much better than Ellis' either, and Salty is using up a much larger percentage of his teams' collective payroll.

Are you being serious? His OBP is slightly better than two marquee Dodgers, a struggling Ethier and a just finding his stride Crawford. Otherwise, Puig, Dee, Uribe, Gonzo, SVS, Han Ram, Turner AND Kemp, who strikes more than anyone, has a superior OBP. Plus, Ellis bats in the 8 hole more often than not and see a lot of balls in light of the pitcher behind him. He should get on base! It was his noted strength years ago, working counts. But he's now batting .181 with one of the worst OBPs on the team, so no idea what you're talking about other than just being contrarian.

First off, the "handles the staff well" is just bullshit baseball speak. The Dodgers climbed back into the race when Ellis was on the DL and Butera was playing. Furthermore, the back end of the rotation (Haren) has struggled until of late. I think Greinke/Kershaw will be just fine with someone other than Ellis calling the game. Not buying it.

And Butera has no errors but caught 10 stealing in 44 games versus 9 caught stealing in 58 games for Ellis. Furthermore, Ellis let some key balls get away from him against the Cardinals last year in the NLCS. Bad technique, runners advancing.

Are you being serious? His OBP is slightly better than two marquee Dodgers, a struggling Ethier and a just finding his stride Crawford. Otherwise, Puig, Dee, Uribe, Gonzo, SVS, Han Ram, Turner AND Kemp, who strikes more than anyone, has a superior OBP. Plus, Ellis bats in the 8 hole more often than not and see a lot of balls in light of the pitcher behind him. He should get on base! It was his noted strength years ago, working counts. But he's now batting .181 with one of the worst OBPs on the team, so no idea what you're talking about other than just being contrarian.

The one thing that would slightly support your position would be walks per plate appearance as Ellis would lead the team (and any 8 spot hitter should, it's their job and pitch selection). However, he is 4th in GIDP plays!!! Behind three power hitters who have more PAs!!! And three guys that hit for power ahead of him while Ellis has a sub .600 OPS- just awful. Butera has a slightly higher OPS.

So his OBP is okay for the 8 spot and well below a majority of the team, his defensive numbers are inferior to the back up catcher, he's batting .181, and has a sub .600 ops, I guess he calls a great game. This logic builds champions.

Last edited by a moderator: