• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

4706 Looking Onward: Plans and Speculation geared for a Cup Run

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, yeah. I said earlier in the Flying thread I want a Cup. I assume the feeling is mutual. While playing NHL 12 I brainstormed for making this thread, and while a main idea was cut out of my final idea, I feel like this could be a venting thread almost as a way for me to let the world know what this team has to do in order to accomplish those 16 coveted playoff wings this year. All of it is going to be pretty obvious, minus my 3rd concluding point possibly, but I just want to let it all out.

1) Stay healthy. Obviously. In our last ten we are 6-3-1. Off the top of my head 1 of those wins is a shootout, our most recent game. JVR and Briere are huge. Again, obviously. What worries me is going down this final stretch. These point are worth a lot more than face value. The Pens may easily sneak up in our ass, the Rangers are somehow not sinking back to mediocrity, and I doubt the Bruins stop being big and bad for a while. (Until when I suspect injuries catch up to them and [Fingers Crossed] Thomas crashes back down to Earth like a Russian Sattelite. I cant tell you if JVR will be here much onger. It may be better if we let him go now. I can tell you though JVR wont duplicate last year's playoffs. That was a product of Giroux a la Scott Hartnell this year. Briere on the other hand is what we need, despite my bashings of him. This French Leprechaun will bounce back. For fuck's sake having guys like Read and Jake as line mates is 10x better than Hartnell and Leino. He'll come around.

For your viewing pleasure.​

2) Get a Dman. And by that I mean fuck Schenn. That was an enjoyable fap for a few days with the whole "THEYRE BRUTHAS!!11" thing. I am guilty to it. I see 3 possible options that make a big difference who are most likely available. Keith Yandle (25, 5.25/5y), Jack Johnson (25, 4.3/7y), and Ryan Suter. They are listed in what I see as possibility of acquiring. I beg though, keep this year's 1st. Use next year's. Please. JVR is most likely gone for one of these guys though, which is not a bad thing as I see it.

Clutch in the 'yoffs? Danny on D.​

3) Forget about Bob. I cant stress this enough. Scoring wins game, D wins championships. Bob will win us games, but Bryz will lead us to the promised land. I know a lot of us have a hard time agreeing with this, but we need to all just accept it. I am confident Bob will lead us to a 1st or 2nd round exit. Bryz is our man, get the hell used to it. Riding the pine wont help him either. Unfortunatley, I cant prove any of this to you guys. You have to simply put your trust into Bryz.

Believe.​

Last edited by a moderator:

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, sorry if you read this all only to realize I regurgitated about all our threads from the past month into one post.

I just had to let it all out.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, sorry if you read this all only to realize I regurgitated about all our threads from the past month into one post.

I just had to let it all out.

Fair and valid points. I doubt Nashville is going to trade either Weber or Suter because they are going for it all. I know Suter will not resign before TD but just don't think the Preds trade either one. Johnson would be interesting, but I can't imagine the Kings dealing him. Maybe I'm wrong. Yandle is very possible. I want to keep our guys for a run but see if we can get a Gill or Gleason at the TD. Offseason go hard for Suter and make trades yo unload salary and get draft picks to bolster the farm. I.e. JVR, Briere, or Carle. Just a couple of examples. The nice thing about all of this is we have a very, very good young team. I don't want to make a huge trade that may cost us Coots, Schenn, or Read. Just my opinion.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fair and valid points. I doubt Nashville is going to trade either Weber or Suter because they are going for it all. I know Suter will not resign before TD but just don't think the Preds trade either one. Johnson would be interesting, but I can't imagine the Kings dealing him. Maybe I'm wrong. Yandle is very possible. I want to keep our guys for a run but see if we can get a Gill or Gleason at the TD. Offseason go hard for Suter and make trades yo unload salary and get draft picks to bolster the farm. I.e. JVR, Briere, or Carle. Just a couple of examples. The nice thing about all of this is we have a very, very good young team. I don't want to make a huge trade that may cost us Coots, Schenn, or Read. Just my opinion.

Yandle is NOT possible. He signed a 5 year extension in the offseason. He's NOT going anywhere.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yandle is NOT possible. He signed a 5 year extension in the offseason. He's NOT going anywhere.

I agree with this.

Schenn is still my ideal addition. Some variation of jvr for schenn that doesn't involve our first round pick is what I would like.

Suter is going to be too expensive for a ufa IMO.

Jack johnson is an option though I suppose, same with Hal gill.

If coots or schenn get traded and Shea weber isn't wearing black and orange afterwards, I'll be pissed.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
heres what i want the flyers to do...get hal gill.

here's my reasoning..suter, weber, these types of guys will cost us too much and are better to pursue in the offseason when we are better informed of prongers status.
a guy like gleason from carolina will cost too much because carolina has it stuck in their head that 3 months of gleason is worth a 1st round pick. what this defense desperately misses is that physicality pronger brought, especially in the crease. we have enough puck movers. adding a guy like gill adds physicality and a veteran who can log 18-22 minutes, help lessen the load on kimmo and the others.

timonen - coburn
gill - carle
mez - gustaffson

i'd say thats a very capable defense.

WOOTPOKER

Why you heff to be mad?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
well gleason just signed a 4 year extension so take him off the list of options.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
heres what i want the flyers to do...get hal gill.

here's my reasoning..suter, weber, these types of guys will cost us too much and are better to pursue in the offseason when we are better informed of prongers status.
a guy like gleason from carolina will cost too much because carolina has it stuck in their head that 3 months of gleason is worth a 1st round pick. what this defense desperately misses is that physicality pronger brought, especially in the crease. we have enough puck movers. adding a guy like gill adds physicality and a veteran who can log 18-22 minutes, help lessen the load on kimmo and the others.

timonen - coburn
gill - carle
mez - gustaffson

i'd say thats a very capable defense.

i got on the site to make the exact point you just made, and i agree 100% with you.

what do dman like suter/weber give us that we dont already have in coburn/carle/mez? no i am not sayin they are as good as these two BUT neither are physical, and that is our biggest need. what do we need a dman that puts up insane amounts of points for? our offense is second best in the league, we need the guy in the back to anchor down and stop the other team from scoring. a guy that will hit people and move them from the front of the net. hal gill is big and mean and he will come much cheaper than the others. mall said it right, evaluate carle(UFA) and pronger(LTIR) in the offseason and make bigger moves on the defense then, now its time for a small tweak.

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I gotta agree to, get Hall Gill, he is a big guy that can clear players from in front of the net.

Forget about getting rid of JVR I want to see if he can raise his game like last year in the playoffs.

Suter you can get for free in the offseason, so why get rid of assests right now, and Carle is a ufa next year to so big time impact movement on D should be left to the offseason. Also the Pronger situation should be clear by then and that looks bleak.(Just hope the guy can back to a normal daily life for him and his family)

Timmonen is a ufa after next season to.

dspice07

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I gotta agree to, get Hall Gill, he is a big guy that can clear players from in front of the net.

Forget about getting rid of JVR I want to see if he can raise his game like last year in the playoffs.

Suter you can get for free in the offseason, so why get rid of assests right now, and Carle is a ufa next year to so big time impact movement on D should be left to the offseason. Also the Pronger situation should be clear by then and that looks bleak.(Just hope the guy can back to a normal daily life for him and his family)

Timmonen is a ufa after next season to.

yup, carle is off the books if they choose to go that way so why not take his money and give it to who you think is worth it on the open market.

i am gonna say that i think it is 99% that pronger is done. i mean it sounds as if he is just trying to have a normal life, let alone get back in the nhl. this is so weird though, i dont ever recall him having a history of concussions. he did not take a big hit this year or really at all in his flyers career. is the stick to the eye the main culprit here? im no doctor, but i do know that infections in the brain are as unpredictable as concussions, ha look at me dr. dspice, ok im done speculating.

timmonen i would think is going to retire after next year.

and also, keep JVR because I have his jersey and i'm cheap. though the intelligent hockey side of me says that the kid needs to be moved to increase his maturity and make him realize his potential (too close to home)

TimKerrRules#12

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
yup, carle is off the books if they choose to go that way so why not take his money and give it to who you think is worth it on the open market.

i am gonna say that i think it is 99% that pronger is done. i mean it sounds as if he is just trying to have a normal life, let alone get back in the nhl. this is so weird though, i dont ever recall him having a history of concussions. he did not take a big hit this year or really at all in his flyers career. is the stick to the eye the main culprit here? im no doctor, but i do know that infections in the brain are as unpredictable as concussions, ha look at me dr. dspice, ok im done speculating.

timmonen i would think is going to retire after next year.

and also, keep JVR because I have his jersey and i'm cheap. though the intelligent hockey side of me says that the kid needs to be moved to increase his maturity and make him realize his potential (too close to home)

I think with Pronger the stick to the head then with the hit by Hanzal that wasn't really bad but he hit his head on the glass was 2 hits in such quick succession, and thats what really screws these players up. Primeau still has symptoms, this whole concussion thing is really messed up.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There are going to be so many teams after Suter. The Red Wings, Sharks & others are going to make it very difficult for Philly to get him.

If Philly is looking for a rental Lubomir Visnovsky makes a lot of sense. He's great on the powerplay & a solid defenseman.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm lookin for schenn for the flyers. Visnovsky doesn't really fit the bill, the flyers need a big body. I also don't think the flyers have the right assets for a rental. Anything they'd trade that has enough value, is too much value for a rental. Unless teams are interested in borderline NHL prospects and picks after #30

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
4) Get Iginla.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rep to both of ya's

5) Get Giroux hot again.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Getting giroux hot again would be a good idea.

The walking wounded (Rinaldo jagr jvr and briere) all practiced like normal today. That should help

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Pens got Gill at the deadline from the Leafs for a 2nd and 5th. The Leafs went on to finish 24th.

The Habs are in 23rd, and I would take that trade in a heartbeat. I only have one problem with Gill, and that is that he is not the complete answer. He would help a fuck load, but if we go the Gill route over Schenn/Suter, I want to grab another dman. Nothing amazing, but an upgrade over Lilja/MAB.