• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2024 Pre-season Sox activities

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need a place to discuss - upcoming trades, acquisitions and the Free Agent marketplace.

I thought it was funny (as in crazy talk) that Getzy was quoted saying - Moncada might play 2nd, LF or 1st base some this next season. Josh Barfield had been talking about better defense - and Getz blabs about a player use that guarantees worse defense. Anyway, Getz said he didn't like this team - which is pretty good because I didn't either.

Playing good defense will make the pitching better - and that is a two for one deal - I like it. Just field a team that hustles, makes good situational baseball decisions and plays like they want to win - even if they aren't good enough to win. I.E. something to root for.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we need a place to discuss - upcoming trades, acquisitions and the Free Agent marketplace.

I thought it was funny (as in crazy talk) that Getzy was quoted saying - Moncada might play 2nd, LF or 1st base some this next season. Josh Barfield had been talking about better defense - and Getz blabs about a player use that guarantees worse defense. Anyway, Getz said he didn't like this team - which is pretty good because I didn't either.

Playing good defense will make the pitching better - and that is a two for one deal - I like it. Just field a team that hustles, makes good situational baseball decisions and plays like they want to win - even if they aren't good enough to win. I.E. something to root for.
I'm fine with spending the rest of '23 discussing such matters, but I also trust you'll still create Random Thoughts 2.4 at the start of the New Year. It's always an eagerly anticipated thread!!

If Getz isn't just blowing smoke out of his ass and truly wants to put together a better defensive roster, that would be most welcome. We really haven't had a great defensive unit since our WS team, and that short era was really the exception, as we'd have to go all the way back to the Go-Go era of the 50's & 60's where we had solid defensive consistency for any lengthy period.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nick Nastrini interview

Jiddy

I wear my Meatball Badge with honor.
Hoopla Cash
$ 800.06
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

If that was the case you should have named the thread "Upcoming Disappointments Discussion."

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
More BS from new sets of lips?

podsox

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm fine with spending the rest of '23 discussing such matters, but I also trust you'll still create Random Thoughts 2.4 at the start of the New Year. It's always an eagerly anticipated thread!!

If Getz isn't just blowing smoke out of his ass and truly wants to put together a better defensive roster, that would be most welcome. We really haven't had a great defensive unit since our WS team, and that short era was really the exception, as we'd have to go all the way back to the Go-Go era of the 50's & 60's where we had solid defensive consistency for any lengthy period.
I just have a hard time taking someone seriously that’s job was player development. Even if you don’t like the guys your front office is drafting/added to the roster. how is it that everybody is undisciplined and they all mostly sucked defensively under your watch. Add in the obsession with the royals. I hope I’m wrong but this looks like a continuation of disaster. Wasn’t he hired so they wouldn’t have to rebuild?

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well at least that wackiness only applies to the first round. My being the ultimate believer in what can go wrong, will, has me thinking somehow, someway, this won't end well for our beloved Pale Hose....but it's only for that first round. Yes, the most important, but still only one. We'll just have to keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I like about the Bummer trade is that the Sox got back pitching that could help the rotation and guys who can play defense - which is just what Getz has said he wants to acquire. These guys are also brought up in the Braves system (expect for Lopez) and have the winning organization development about them. Getz can now go into the trade and FA market more targeted for return on investment.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Soroka (I swear a guy with this name played for the Sox a decade ago) - Like Burger had two Achilles injuries in a row- he threw enough innings last year between the Braves and the AAA Gwinett that he figures into the Sox rotation already.

Jared Shuster may also be ready for the rotation - just a year ago he was the number one prospect in the Braves organization.

Nicky Lopez is a plus defender at 2nd, ss and 3rd base. I expect he will be a top utility player and a defensive late inning replacement - if he doesn't take a position in spring training.

Shewmake is a top minor league SS - with some power - tall with speed and a plus defender,

Gowens - develops in the minors.

I think Getz covered enough holes with this group he doesn't have to be rushed or desperate with the rest of his asset ammo.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Michael Soroka (I swear a guy with this name played for the Sox a decade ago) - Like Burger had two Achilles injuries in a row- he threw enough innings last year between the Braves and the AAA Gwinett that he figures into the Sox rotation already.

Jared Shuster may also be ready for the rotation - just a year ago he was the number one prospect in the Braves organization.

Nicky Lopez is a plus defender at 2nd, ss and 3rd base. I expect he will be a top utility player and a defensive late inning replacement - if he doesn't take a position in spring training.

Shewmake is a top minor league SS - with some power - tall with speed and a plus defender,

Gowens - develops in the minors.

I think Getz covered enough holes with this group he doesn't have to be rushed or desperate with the rest of his asset ammo.
assuming your interpretation is spot on ... how does it make any sense the braves would make this trade?

and btw, you're thinking of mike sirotka. and it was over 2 decades ago.

idseer

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bummer. in 7 years had 5 saves and 17 blown saves! i HATED seeing him come in in crucial situations! SO glad he's gone.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
assuming your interpretation is spot on ... how does it make any sense the braves would make this trade?

and btw, you're thinking of mike sirotka. and it was over 2 decades ago.
The Braves have a lot of talent and choices - Soroka has only one year of control left and didn't figure into the Brave's plans. He is perfect for the Sox's plans, and he can potentially regain form from when he finished 2nd in the Cy Young - and is still only 28. If the Sox like how he looks - they can try to sign him for multi years, but otherwise he will eat up innings for a Sox rotation that is depleted.

Lopez was a late season trade add for the Braves due to injury - now their middle infielders have returned to health.

Shuster had a bad year - and needed a change of scenery - while the Braves moved guys ahead of him from their talent pool. He might have been DFA'd if not traded.

Shewmake had rule 5 exposure - and didn't figure to make it to the MLB braves top 26.

None of these guys may work out for the Sox, but the Sox increased their chances that one or more may pay big dividends - otherwise they help defensively or as inning eaters. Basically, the Sox took advantage of a talent loaded team who needed specific lefty help in the Bullpen - and Bummer has 3 years of control. While Bummer seemed to fail for the Sox - he had the best rate of batters not barreling up on his pitches - he needs a good defense behind him and to be used in more specific situations rather than as a late inning closer the Sox needed.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
any money change hands in this deal? couldn't find anything.
No money changed hands - the Sox probably added a few million to the payroll - with a couple guys possibly getting arbitration hearings.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
bummer. in 7 years had 5 saves and 17 blown saves! i HATED seeing him come in in crucial situations! SO glad he's gone.
Bummer has some of the best spin rates in the majors - he gave up hits that were not hit hard and gave up walks when he shouldn't have.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I like about this approach Getz is taking - unlike Hahn who would acquire one guy and declare a position or rotation spot solved - Getz looks to be gathering a number of players who can complete their way on to or off of the roster. Soroka has Brian Bannister's fingerprints all over him - similar to pitchers he brought into SF - like Rodon - Gausman and Smyly. Who all performed well for the Giants and got big contracts elsewhere around the league in the following years.

The White Sox need ordinary roster players who can pull off a 2 or 3 war by the end of the year. The Sox recently would hit on 5 or 6 War players, but not have any of the 2 or 3 War guys supporting them. So far so good.

Lake Shore Drive

Your retarted
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What I like about this approach Getz is taking - unlike Hahn who would acquire one guy and declare a position or rotation spot solved - Getz looks to be gathering a number of players who can complete their way on to or off of the roster. Soroka has Brian Bannister's fingerprints all over him - similar to pitchers he brought into SF - like Rodon - Gausman and Smyly. Who all performed well for the Giants and got big contracts elsewhere around the league in the following years.

The White Sox need ordinary roster players who can pull off a 2 or 3 war by the end of the year. The Sox recently would hit on 5 or 6 War players, but not have any of the 2 or 3 War guys supporting them. So far so good.
I still remain more pessimistic, being Getz ran our scouting group, which has produced very little, at least domestically. Plus I was hoping Reinsdorf would look outside the 'family' to find his new key people. But I do like that Getz appears at least to be trying to shake things up a bit, and his earlier comments about adding players who bring better defense to the table will always hook me. I really have grown dog tired of our team's wretched defense year after year.