• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 season

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think you definitely have to draft another defensive back. CTB is good to go for the future, but other guys on the team are not getting younger, have injuries they are coming off of, or are limited in impact. I think you could add a corner or a safety. Even if we sign Von Bell, I don't think he should be in your plans for longer than another 2 seasons. My assumption is that Dax Hill is going to be a good safety in the NFL - His rookie year didn't go as well as we had hoped but I think a lot of that had to do with having very little opportunity. He certainly showed some stuff during the preseason and he appears to be a great athlete. I also wonder if safety isn't his ultimate position if he could be the future replacement for Hilton in the slot. Dax did a lot of blitzing and run support stuff in college.... It was a big part of his game.
Agreed.

I'd draft another DB no question.

I think Hill had a very up and down year, but some of that can be attributed to playing out of position - but I like that he got that experience - being able to move guys around on defense gives you a ton of flexibility with scheme and matchups.

I'd sign Bell, but also look to have someone ready. They did draft another safety last year, Tyson Anderson (I think) but was hurt most of this year...so, he *could* be in the mix - have no clue since he was hurt.

I think at least 1 F/A DB (even if you bring back Apple) and 1 more DB (either safety or CB) should be in the mix.

I'd do the same for OL - I'd bring in 1 OL in F/A - likely at RT as I would move on from Collins - and I would draft another OL, or two....Karras and Cappa aren't getting younger either, and there is a need for some actual depth there as shown this year.

cincygrad

Offensive Line Consultant
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed...why I think every draft should have at least one OL taken somewhere in the top 4 rounds....you, of course, can change course depending on needs for that specific year, but in general, I think the OL is one area that just has such a low turnout rate that you have to continue to take swings to ensure you are getting what you need.

Agreed a bit on Mixon - but I think scheme is more of a predictability factor than if Mixon is in, or not. Both He and Perine can catch the ball, and Perine showed he could run it as well. Bigger issue is so many plays from under center are runs - something like over 70%. If that is the case, if I'm a defense - I'm hedging on that all day long.
The offense came up short against the Rams in the Super Bowl and the Chiefs in the AFCCG. At critical times in both games, Mixon was not on the field. I can't have a guy with a 10 million dollar cap hit sitting on the bench with the season on the line. As much as I value Perine's contribution, he's not the guy to have on the field during that time either. They absolutely needed a guy that could run for first downs or could protect for Burrow in the 2 minute drill. Looking around the league it seems like lots of teams have figured this one out..... I just can't get my head wrapped around the idea that Mixon simply couldn't improve in his pass protection over the past 6 seasons - The guy is one hell of an athlete and built like a greek god.... But he can't be taught to block?

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense came up short against the Rams in the Super Bowl and the Chiefs in the AFCCG. At critical times in both games, Mixon was not on the field. I can't have a guy with a 10 million dollar cap hit sitting on the bench with the season on the line. As much as I value Perine's contribution, he's not the guy to have on the field during that time either. They absolutely needed a guy that could run for first downs or could protect for Burrow in the 2 minute drill. Looking around the league it seems like lots of teams have figured this one out..... I just can't get my head wrapped around the idea that Mixon simply couldn't improve in his pass protection over the past 6 seasons - The guy is one hell of an athlete and built like a greek god.... But he can't be taught to block?
Blocking is like rebounding.

It's a want to and a mental determination that you are going to go and do it.

Some guys just never develop that mindset - and taking him out on 3rd downs, and other situations, only serves to reinforce the notion that he doesn't really need to improve in that area - though I'm sure he's well aware of how poor a blocker he is.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if not for the slow start r/t Burrow injury, that last game gets played in Cincinnati. the Buffalo game gets played in Cincinnati.

things these ESPN goofs and superfans don't think about.

I'm not crying, just looking forward to the rematch. hope Mahomes survives Philly.

my prediction for Phily to bring the pain

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

not a game on this schedule we shouldn't win.
not even BurrowHead the rematch
We'll be good..... I'm sure the national media will pick us 3rd in our division and the most likely team to regress.... But, they'll be wrong.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We'll be good..... I'm sure the national media will pick us 3rd in our division and the most likely team to regress.... But, they'll be wrong.
some of these outlets need to stop hiring ex-ravens

jbuck

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
we killed the draft last year

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
my thinking is someone is going to throw a major deal to Hurst, we won't be able to match that, so we will go long term with the rookie.
we will fill some other positions in FA instead.
everything round 4 and on I suppose we should consider a depth pick.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
cool. we'll have a good draft I bet.

course, now Nixon is starting to act up. should likely be suspended a number of games.

CrashDavisSports

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Matt Miller, ESPN 2 Round Mock Draft, he has the Bengals:

#28 - TE Michael Mayer
#60 - CB Kelee Ringo

That would be a super win.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In the Matt Miller, ESPN 2 Round Mock Draft, he has the Bengals:

#28 - TE Michael Mayer
#60 - CB Kelee Ringo

That would be a super win.
Would take this in a heartbeat - but I don't see Mayer dropping....but if he did, the Bengals should SPRINT to the podium....

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe knows how he wants to set up his contract to keep his weapons around him,” Bengals wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase said on the NFL Network's Wednesday Super Bowl Live show. Burrow will play the 2023 season on the last year of his four-year rookie deal, ranked as the fourth best bargain deal in the NFL

Hopefully, that quote isn't too far off base and means that Burrow is flexible with how the team needs to build around him. Still getting paid, but willing to play ball to win games. All you can really ask.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Joe knows how he wants to set up his contract to keep his weapons around him,” Bengals wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase said on the NFL Network's Wednesday Super Bowl Live show. Burrow will play the 2023 season on the last year of his four-year rookie deal, ranked as the fourth best bargain deal in the NFL

Hopefully, that quote isn't too far off base and means that Burrow is flexible with how the team needs to build around him. Still getting paid, but willing to play ball to win games. All you can really ask.
I thought that was an interesting quote by Chase. On the one hand, Chase is one of the few people that would know Joe's thinking as they have both indicated that they are close friends. On the other hand, Chase isn't Burrow's agent and business has a way of complicating best wishes. A Mahomes type deal would be the best thing for the Bengals. Long-term commitment, rolling guarantees not treated as full guarantees, and a contract that becomes progressively more affordable relative to the cap as the years go by. The Chiefs are going to be in great position to build a second chapter of the Mahomes era as the cap increases over the next 5 years and his overall percentage goes way down.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought that was an interesting quote by Chase. On the one hand, Chase is one of the few people that would know Joe's thinking as they have both indicated that they are close friends. On the other hand, Chase isn't Burrow's agent and business has a way of complicating best wishes. A Mahomes type deal would be the best thing for the Bengals. Long-term commitment, rolling guarantees not treated as full guarantees, and a contract that becomes progressively more affordable relative to the cap as the years go by. The Chiefs are going to be in great position to build a second chapter of the Mahomes era as the cap increases over the next 5 years and his overall percentage goes way down.

regardless, Burrow isn't going to make less money than Russel Wilson, and you can pretty much believe that. There's a good chance that Brown family and Burrow never come to an agreement and he has to play for someone else. he's big time Joe, and this is small town Cincy.

cincygrad

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
regardless, Burrow isn't going to make less money than Russel Wilson, and you can pretty much believe that. There's a good chance that Brown family and Burrow never come to an agreement and he has to play for someone else. he's big time Joe, and this is small town Cincy.
I don't think there is any reason to believe this at all. The Bengals have always paid quarterbacks. They have a good track-record of paying receivers as well. We just don't pay guards and safeties.

I'd worry more about downstream effects from Burrow's deal. If they have to lock up 200 million in escrow, they won't have many opportunities to give guaranteed deals to other guys on the team. Though they have increased revenue streams they still can't be nearly as liquid with assets as the big money owners.

Cincyfan78

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good chance? That would make it seem like above 50% chance Burrow never signs an extension here. I highly doubt that phrase "good chance". There's ALWAYS a chance for any QB and any team...sure...but good chance? That's a knee jerk reaction to 90's Bengals.

This organization is going to pay Burrow - they will either do so with the ability to keep guys around him, or they will do so without that ability - but Burrow will be here.

DanBengalfan

Raving lunatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd say 50/50

if you look at the numbers, you can see the train coming.

he will be the highest paid qb in nfl history, just a matter of when, and with whom.