• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Packers regular season thread

North of Patagonia / South of Iguazu Falls
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I just read on ESPN that LaFleur is sticking with Barry at least thru the end of the season. I can live with that, but after that he better be gone. They're back to talking about communication and executing the calls, same nonsense, you either do it or you don't. So now LaFleur is going to spend more time with the defense this week.

Something Bart Starr said a while ago about his tenure as coach rings true to me. He stated that he trusted his friends and coaches to be putting in the work to get the job done, and the fact of the matter is they weren't. Now, I'm not saying Starr was a good coach, but just that workplace trust and friendship can't really be trusted and you're better off not to work with friends. Something successful people live by is "expect what you inspect", so if you're not willing to inspect the work, don't expect it to be done right. When subordinates know you're going to or are at least willing to inspect the work, they're way more likely to do it right and put in the work. Reality at that time was the Packers were an awful organization running things like it was the early 60's and the game passed the entire organization by.

MLF pretty much said in Sunday presser... no change at DC now, have 3 games to try and get this corrected to try and get back in playoff picture. Cannot start over at this point.

MLF I think is pretty good offensive mind, but coach has to be much more including getting the right people on your staff. He has failed miserably with coordinator hires IMO and this has cost the Packers.
  • Special teams
    • Mennenga - Packers #30 or worse in league
    • Drayton - was assistant to Mennenga and assume not much changed... Packers were worst in league and lost divisional playoff game as #1 seed with blocked punt
  • Defense - Joe Barry hire in 2021... real head scratcher at the time and playing out as expected

RP-29

xⁿ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
MLF pretty much said in Sunday presser... no change at DC now, have 3 games to try and get this corrected to try and get back in playoff picture. Cannot start over at this point.

MLF I think is pretty good offensive mind, but coach has to be much more including getting the right people on your staff. He has failed miserably with coordinator hires IMO and this has cost the Packers.
  • Special teams
    • Mennenga - Packers #30 or worse in league
    • Drayton - was assistant to Mennenga and assume not much changed... Packers were worst in league and lost divisional playoff game as #1 seed with blocked punt
  • Defense - Joe Barry hire in 2021... real head scratcher at the time and playing out as expected
I'm of the perspective that a head coach should evenly distribute his time ensuring all three aspects of the team are tight (offense, defense and special teams). His job should be to steer the entire ship. When your head coach's focus is primarily on the offense, far too often the defense and special teams become liabilities. Your head coach should not be the one calling offensive plays, your offensive coordinator should be doing that. Your defensive coordinator should be calling the defensive plays. The head coach should be holding both the OC and DC accountable on game days and focusing on making the right decisions for the team overall - which includes proper usage of timeouts and player accountability for mistakes and such.

In LaFleur's case, he's a decent play caller much of the time, but I certainly think it could be better. I think he needs to spend a lot of time collaborating with his OC to pass play calling concepts and duties along so he can tighten up the whole team. If we swap Barry with another guy and LaFleur keeps the offensive focus status quo, I'm skeptical the defense will get better results with another DC unless we get a Bears Buddy Ryan type scenario.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watched some film on the defense against Tampa. On several plays the defense was either out of position or there was a communication break down. Why that is happening so late in the season can be 1. Poor coaching 2. Poor player football IQ or 3. Both. My money is on #3. Although I primarily blame Barry, I also question not only the talent but the football IQ of some of the players on this defense. What baffles me is in the game how several of the caught passes by the Tampa receivers were wide open and not a defender within 5 yards. I believe most of those were on crossing routes. This has happened often this season.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Watching the Carolina game now. Defense is playing better but only because it’s Carolina. Hard to gauge the offense cuz it’s Carolina. Should be a W but means absolutely nothing as far as I’m concerned.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tied up 30-30. This is exactly why GB doesn’t deserve to play for post season. To let a 2-12 team come back and tie it is the sign of an inferior team that is poorly coached. This defense keeps finding ways to play at their worst each week. To me, there’s nothing more demoralizing than letting a horrible team come back and almost win. The offense didn’t help at the end by going 3 and out but I put this almost loss on the sorry ass defense. Not only does Barry have to go but position coaches and some players need to be gone as well. POS defense should be thoroughly embarrassed.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tied up 30-30. This is exactly why GB doesn’t deserve to play for post season. To let a 2-12 team come back and tie it is the sign of an inferior team that is poorly coached. This defense keeps finding ways to play at their worst each week. To me, there’s nothing more demoralizing than letting a horrible team come back and almost win. The offense didn’t help at the end by going 3 and out but I put this almost loss on the sorry ass defense. Not only does Barry have to go but position coaches and some players need to be gone as well. POS defense should be thoroughly embarrassed.
Need to add that the message this sorry ass defense sends the rest of the league is: Don’t worry, if you’re down a score at the end and no time outs with only 20 seconds left you have a great chance of winning the game. Jesus fucking Christ!!! Just pathetic.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely an ugly win, few more seconds on clock could have been OT... I am 100% certain Joe Barry gone at end of season, but if Packers would have lost this game I think he may have been gone on Monday.

B. Young has had a bad year and in 2nd half he looked like Mayfield last week and DeVito 2 weeks ago.

Packers win out I would guess they will make the playoffs... but right now doubt they win out and they are not deserving of a playoff spot. They are not a playoff caliber team yet.

Was good to have Aaron Jones back. Love struggled with some simple throws. Hurt having both Watson and Reed out... then lost Wicks who I really like as well. With Musgrave out, Kraft has really started to excel... Packers could have 2 very good TEs for future. Kraft appeared to get injured towards end of game, did not see if he returned.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Barry has to go, there is no doubt in my mind. I'm guessing he believes in his read and react scheme but his players either a) don't have the IQ to read and then react slow or b) the players don't believe in it and are doing a lot of freelancing. Time and again guys are getting thrown to where the pass is not contested or they play trail position the the confidence of the WR and QB is they can beat it, which more often than not they do. That shows up with too much passivity and the results are they're not close to their potential. Just way to passive against the pass and that carries over to the run D, which is still not good. They did ok today vs the run, but still not able to shut down below average rushing O's. I will say there are plenty of players that play like they're mentally challenged in spots, which is really ridiculous at this point in the year. Either way, Barry is the common denominator and has to go.

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This might give you some insight to the intelligence of the players on defense...a veteran and highest paid at that

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big game this weekend vs Vikings, lose and playoffs is only a dream.

Vikings all kinds of injury issues on offense... if Cousins was still there would not give Packers much of a chance. Even without him there defense is good enough they still have good chance of winning at home. Their defense is giving up less than 20 points per game... Packers offense could have their hands full.

Considering last 3 weeks performances defensively... not optimistic Packers can hold Vikings to less than 3 TDs and a FG which may be what is needed to win.

New game so shall see... this game rings in the New Year here for me being Sunday Night and 2 hours ahead of East Coast. New Years is big extended family celebration with big sit down dinner that starts at 11pm (1/2 after game starts) until midnight. Will have to watch game from across the room most likely for part of the 1st half.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes sense. Start the rookie against a really bad defense. He will probably have an all pro day. :rolleyes2:

Moab

Hoopla Cash
$ 260.93
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Makes sense. Start the rookie against a really bad defense. He will probably have an all pro day. :rolleyes2:

The way this defense has played, you could look like an all pro.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The way this defense has played, you could look like an all pro.
I joke but in all seriousness, it wouldn’t surprise me to see the rookie have a lot of success Sunday night. The way GB’s defense leaves receivers uncontested should make it easy for Hall to complete passes all night long.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Funny how after I posted this, ppl on X were making similar comments.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Packers defense came to play... even without Alexander, Stokes and Campbell.

Love played very well, Jones ran well and really liking how Reed and Kraft are looking. Reed´s first TD Love had a great ball, Reed´s second TD was all him after the catch. Kraft is able to run over a defender and break some tackles. Bo Melton with 100 yards receiving.

Some more injuries yesterday... hopefully get some players back next weekend, will need them as Bears playing good ball.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The offense played lights out for most of the game. A couple hiccups but they were firing on all cylinders. Love looks in control when playing in the lead. Besides the Saints game, I think he struggles when playing from behind. That said, he has come a long way since the beginning of the season.

I give the defense credit BUT let’s keep it in perspective, they played against a rookie and back up QB. Had Cousins played, do they have the same success? Probably not. What I see is the defense plays well against average/below average QBs/teams but looks lost/out of place against better talent.

We could easily see a repeat next week where GB loses to Chicago and misses the playoffs like they did last year against Detroit. But make no mistake if they manage to squeeze in, it will be a short stay. Not because of the offense but the defense will play against better talent and will once again look lost and out of place.

Mack

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think we will see a repeat from week one against Chicago. Both teams are different. In fact, I can see GB’s defense being the main reason they lose this game. I just have zero confidence in Barry and company. That said, even if they manage to pull it off, I will be praying they replace him.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don’t think we will see a repeat from week one against Chicago. Both teams are different. In fact, I can see GB’s defense being the main reason they lose this game. I just have zero confidence in Barry and company. That said, even if they manage to pull it off, I will be praying they replace him.

Fairly confident Barry is gone win, lose or tie

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This game is eerily similar to last years season final.

Home game vs division rival that is ascending in 2nd half of year.... Packers win and they are in playoffs, lose most likely out of playoffs (and Seattle in with a win). Could be deja vu all over again.

Bears much improved defense after Sweat acquisition... #1 vs run I believe. If Packers run defense is soft again do not like Packers chances... doubtful Packers can win a shootout with Bears. Packers will have to stop the run and make Bears throw the ball.

Long injury report for Packers, hopefully most that are questionable can play. Good to have Alexander, Campbell and Jones already available.