• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023 Free agency and trade thread

Dr. Strangelove

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, but they were 3-4 with Stafford. They're not going to win 6 games with Wentz. lol.
Isn't Stafford likely to be back after the bye anyway. I think they signed Wentz just so they have a viable back-up if/when Staff gets hurt again. As for wins and losses, they know they aren't going to be in the market for a top 5 pick and they know they aren't making a play-off run so they are in that unenviable position of trying to have a .500 season and maybe a WC game to play. It's kinda about winning what you can and maybe playing spoiler to a contender. I don't think McVay wants to just watch players develop and he probably figures he can at least be competitive still if Wentz has to come in like they were with Mayfield.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Honestly I don't think he is but why else would you bring him in unless you think you can make the playoffs and do anything.

They need a valid QB. If they move forward with Rypien, they're going to lose attendance and potentially the interest of players to stay in LA. Some teams aren't willing to fully tank I guess?

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if your a Niners or Seahawk fan!

He's far better than Rypien or Winn, and that's all I'm concerned with. I didn't have high expectations for this season to begin with, since they have a ridiculous number of rookies on the roster. Still, I would at least like to see competitive games, not 200 yards of total offense against the Packers.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They need a valid QB. If they move forward with Rypien, they're going to lose attendance and potentially the interest of players to stay in LA. Some teams aren't willing to fully tank I guess?
correct...tanking games when they play 80 plus games isn't the same in this sport.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Isn't Stafford likely to be back after the bye anyway. I think they signed Wentz just so they have a viable back-up if/when Staff gets hurt again. As for wins and losses, they know they aren't going to be in the market for a top 5 pick and they know they aren't making a play-off run so they are in that unenviable position of trying to have a .500 season and maybe a WC game to play. It's kinda about winning what you can and maybe playing spoiler to a contender. I don't think McVay wants to just watch players develop and he probably figures he can at least be competitive still if Wentz has to come in like they were with Mayfield.

This may indicate that he isn't, or they don't wat to risk Stafford in a season where they are highly unlikely to make the postseason. Lessens the pressure to get Stafford back in there.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I know had Dallas ran the pass play to Prescott when he was clearly hurting, Dallas fans would be ape shit with the play caller.

Yeah, that 2 point conversion play was reckless at best. McVay can't get out of his own way sometimes.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They play hard, but the 2023 Rams aren't a playoff team even with Stafford. They might only win 1 or 2 games with Wentz, but yes, at least they'd play spoiler and make opponents work for it. They didn't really make a 2-5 Packers team work for it on Sunday, and that's why a change was made. This is Stafford's 2nd injury of 2023. Even if he returns for Week 11 I wouldn't bet on him playing all 8 games.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They play hard, but the 2023 Rams aren't a playoff team even with Stafford. They might only win 1 or 2 games with Wentz, but yes, at least they'd play spoiler and make opponents work for it. They didn't really make a 2-5 Packers team work for it on Sunday, and that's why a change was made. This is Stafford's 2nd injury of 2023. Even if he returns for Week 11 I wouldn't bet on him playing all 8 games.
i'd like to see one more two point pass reception. Record i'm sure.

I keep telling myself that most football smart guys think the Rams have one of the better NFL coaches.

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I keep telling myself that most football smart guys think the Rams have one of the better NFL coaches.
The Rams do have 1 of the better HCs, but he has flaws, as do other members of the management team. McVay's biggest problem is that he's a control freak. There are times when his game-plan/play-calling isn't working but he won't adjust. Ideally there would be someone who could step in and take over for the rest of the game. The Seahawks and Cardinals games this year are the only time I can remember him abandoning things that were going wrong. He also struggles to move on from pet project players who clearly won't pan out - Jamil Demby, Bobby Evans, Bryce Perkins...

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

He's a great coordinator that has gotten by as a head coach IMO. Will make you scratch your head far too often though with weird choices.

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will claim him?

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who will claim him?

Expensive contract for another team to claim. Even pro-rata a $15.7M salary is tough to justify.

Schmoopy1000

When all else fails, Smack em' in the Mouth!
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,257.19
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Expensive contract for another team to claim. Even pro-rata a $15.7M salary is tough to justify.
If he is released, he has no contract to absorb.

PDay8810

Hoopla Cash
$ 7.77
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leonard signed a five-year, $99 million contract in 2021. That deal was scheduled to run through 2026, but it contains no guarantees beyond this season.

6M for this season but would fit a need in Dallas

fastforward

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,832.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If a team claims him off waivers they will be responsible for the pro-rata of the remaining 2023 salary. 7/18 of $15.7M is $6,105,555. That's a lot of money to guarantee to someone who isn't playing well enough to make a game day roster. He must be a real pain in the ass if the team would rather pay him to leave rather then have him contribute in team meetings and mentor young players. My guess is he'll clear waivers and he'll become a free agent. If there are offsets in his contract there would be little or no point in him signing for more than minimum wage.

So...Welcome to Philadelphia Mr. Leonard. :noidea: