• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible way to end the season but i still had fun watching them play all year up until March.
Yeah, we never expected them to be in the hunt.

It still sucks, though.
And after so many years of Fletcher ineptitude, this feels like a gut punch when we were just starting to stand up for ourselves.

Strangely enough, if we lost out, we could still get a top 10 pick......
Never thought I'd by typing that two weeks ago.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we never expected them to be in the hunt.

It still sucks, though.
And after so many years of Fletcher ineptitude, this feels like a gut punch when we were just starting to stand up for ourselves.

Strangely enough, if we lost out, we could still get a top 10 pick......
Never thought I'd by typing that two weeks ago.

Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also just to add, if
Because another month of the guy is more than you can take. I'm not in the locker room. I don't know how they respond to him, but the on ice product is his responsibility.
This is just my opinion,
Torts pushed a bunch of kids and some close to washed up vets to a chance at a playoff birth. These players are playing a game with million dollar contracts, he has a million dollar contract to manage these assets and get the millions of worth out of them. This team didn't just hit a wall, they got iceberged like the Titanic! But why? If they quit on him then they did a serious disservice to the fans. If it was due to the Coots drama then I put that on Coots, Why? I'll tell you. There's no way in hell I'm gonna believe that Torts didn't sit Coots down and explain to him why he was getting scratched. His agent then made a statement publicly (never should have) and stirred a pot. The only thing I ever read that Coots said was, " It is what it is, I needed to get my game better. What he should have said as a leader and captain is, " I am having issues so a couple games break are okay and I can refocus on my game. Would have put everything to bed. Your free to view it how you want, this is just my 2 cents, also unless something crazy happens, Torts is slated to be our coach next season.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also just to add, if

This is just my opinion,
Torts pushed a bunch of kids and some close to washed up vets to a chance at a playoff birth. These players are playing a game with million dollar contracts, he has a million dollar contract to manage these assets and get the millions of worth out of them. This team didn't just hit a wall, they got iceberged like the Titanic! But why? If they quit on him then they did a serious disservice to the fans. If it was due to the Coots drama then I put that on Coots, Why? I'll tell you. There's no way in hell I'm gonna believe that Torts didn't sit Coots down and explain to him why he was getting scratched. His agent then made a statement publicly (never should have) and stirred a pot. The only thing I ever read that Coots said was, " It is what it is, I needed to get my game better. What he should have said as a leader and captain is, " I am having issues so a couple games break are okay and I can refocus on my game. Would have put everything to bed. Your free to view it how you want, this is just my 2 cents, also unless something crazy happens, Torts is slated to be our coach next season.

The bold is the whole key. Basically every bit of news about that situation said that Torts didn't say anything to him. Torts didn't even refute that? So i don't really get why you don't believe it. You think Coots and everyone else that's talked about it, are lying, and Torts just doesn't want to defend himself?

And the tactic clearly didn't work anyway. They're 2-6-2 since he did it. So even if you like the 'accountability' aspect of it, the coach failed to push the right buttons to get them across the finish line. Same as a player making a mistake and turning the puck over at the blueline resulting in a goal against.

At this point the scale to me on the whole Couturier thing ranges from "failed coaches tactic, oh well get em next time" to "coach royally screwed up and lost the room". There's not a real solid argument for it being the right thing to do at this point.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The bold is the whole key. Basically every bit of news about that situation said that Torts didn't say anything to him. Torts didn't even refute that? So i don't really get why you don't believe it. You think Coots and everyone else that's talked about it, are lying, and Torts just doesn't want to defend himself?

And the tactic clearly didn't work anyway. They're 2-6-2 since he did it. So even if you like the 'accountability' aspect of it, the coach failed to push the right buttons to get them across the finish line. Same as a player making a mistake and turning the puck over at the blueline resulting in a goal against.

At this point the scale to me on the whole Couturier thing ranges from "failed coaches tactic, oh well get em next time" to "coach royally screwed up and lost the room". There's not a real solid argument for it being the right thing to do at this point.
Its simple. If you dont suck you dont get sat down. So the onus is on Couts 100%. He sucked before and after the benching so he just sucks at this point in the season. He needs to bounce back and salvage any career he has. FYI the room wasn't lost when Couts got sat down as everyone knows that Laughton is the real leader of the Flyers so how could you lose a room that doesn't even respect the fact that Couts is the captain and not Laughton.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its simple. If you dont suck you dont get sat down. So the onus is on Couts 100%. He sucked before and after the benching so he just sucks at this point in the season. He needs to bounce back and salvage any career he has. FYI the room wasn't lost when Couts got sat down as everyone knows that Laughton is the real leader of the Flyers so how could you lose a room that doesn't even respect the fact that Couts is the captain and not Laughton.

I mean, Torts does it as a wake-up call to Coots and the team, right? And that didn't work. The team sucked afterwards. So the tactic failed. The approach can be fine, sure hold everyone accountable. But the wakeup call didn't work. So Torts bears some responsibility there. Should've found a better button to push. That's his job.

I'm with you that the goaltending is the primary problem down the stretch. I think Torts will be the coach next year. But Torts does things that work and things that don't. It's OK to admit when something he did didn't work. The Coots benching didn't work.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I mean, Torts does it as a wake-up call to Coots and the team, right? And that didn't work. The team sucked afterwards. So the tactic failed. The approach can be fine, sure hold everyone accountable. But the wakeup call didn't work. So Torts bears some responsibility there. Should've found a better button to push. That's his job.

I'm with you that the goaltending is the primary problem down the stretch. I think Torts will be the coach next year. But Torts does things that work and things that don't. It's OK to admit when something he did didn't work. The Coots benching didn't work.
The tactic didn't work because Couts sucks and has sucked for some time before the benching. It was a last resort to try to get anything out of Couts going into the final days leading up to playoffs. What was Torts supposed to do not recognize that a player is terrible? Torts has three options when a player is giving you nothing for a 2.5 month stretch A; Move him to the 4th line B: Bench him or C: Send him to the minors. So he chose option A and when that didn't work he went with option B.

Im with you that the Couts benching didn't work but that is only because Couts sucks as a player right now.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the best article I've found that sounds credible. No where in there does Coots say he wasn't sat down and told what the deal was, just says he was a little upset, but also recognized the reasoning and agreed with it. Like you said though, that wasn't when they started getting horrible. They hit a monster something and just died. No one has shown up the last eight games, not sure what the next thing is to try cause it appears that they just want it to be over, which is sad for dedicated fans.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

This is the best article I've found that sounds credible. No where in there does Coots say he wasn't sat down and told what the deal was, just says he was a little upset, but also recognized the reasoning and agreed with it. Like you said though, that wasn't when they started getting horrible. They hit a monster something and just died. No one has shown up the last eight games, not sure what the next thing is to try cause it appears that they just want it to be over, which is sad for dedicated fans.

The team went down hill the day we traded away Walker which coincided with Seeler getting hurt. This was on top of having lost Drysdale to injury and Risto out too.

It was a great season to watch even though we screwed it up in the end. Hopefully we lose out now and get a higher draft pick.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The team went down hill the day we traded away Walker which coincided with Seeler getting hurt. This was on top of having lost Drysdale to injury and Risto out too.

It was a great season to watch even though we screwed it up in the end. Hopefully we lose out now and get a higher draft pick.

Ya. Losing out is what's best now. A win or two coudl easily jump PIT/DET/MIN in the standings to finish 15th in odds. Lose out and there's a chance to get passed by SEA/NJ/BUF to finish 9th in odds.

Might be able to get a pretty good d prospect in that 9-10 range.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ya. Losing out is what's best now. A win or two coudl easily jump PIT/DET/MIN in the standings to finish 15th in odds. Lose out and there's a chance to get passed by SEA/NJ/BUF to finish 9th in odds.

I am heading to church and praying for us to lose out.

Hopefully we could get into the top ten and get a lucky ping pong ball. :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And from April 7th and on should really read 0%, because that's the reality of it. The loss to Columbus was essentially the final nail in our coffin. Just dreadful. There are probably some Ahl teams that could beat us right now. This is why I question exactly what the fuck is going on here.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Again, we have absolutely no shot of winning another game this season in my opinion. Even when we were playing well, we were struggling a bit against our division rivals and the last three games are against those teams. We could definitely slip below NJ, Buff and/or Seattle here in the standings. I say probably NJ passes us (via tiebreaker) and Seattle too. I guess that puts us 10th.

Actually, the Flames even have an outside shot of passing us too. They have 5 games remaining, a couple of them against the worst teams in the Nhl. If they somehow get 8 points, they amazingly pass us via tiebreaker.

Last edited:

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Saved himself 8 terrible years of flyers hockey with more ahead