• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wonder what Briere and Jones are taking from this. Does this collapse impact their offseason plans at all? Aside from considering a coaching change maybe, but to tbh I'd be pretty surprised if they go that route. They'll probably have some koombaya sessions to try to get everyone back in the boat and move forward there. But I'm sure they, like all the fans, were thinking things weren't as bad as we thought coming in to the season. Maybe they're a little closer. But now? They're getting obliterated by the worst teams in the league.

They don't really have any free agents to worry too much about. Staal, Johnson, and Gurianov will probably walk. Fedotov sounds like they'll re-sign. Zamula, Ginning, and Brink aren't RFA's to devote too much brain power to.

Konecny will be the big topic. 1 year from UFA, able to re-sign this summer. It's officially decision time there IMO. Just looking at some guys in a similar offensive production and age (Boeser, Fiala, Horvat) he's probably going to pull in 9-10% of the cap for 8 years. So probably in the 8-8.5M for 8 year range is what I'd expect. Worth it looking solely at TK and what he brings, but he's also the last chance for the Flyers to score a real big return to help the rebuild. Plus can the Flyers really afford 33.7M (38% of the cap), long term, on Couturier, Farabee, Tippett, TK, and Sanheim? Obviously TK is the guy you'd most like to keep out of that crew, but what maximizes value for the Flyers?
They obviously need to find out exactly wtf went wrong here. By the end of this, it will be 21 losses in the last 28 games and 11 straight overall. That's more than 1/3 of the season. I think it's fair to say that this fiasco began weeks before the trade deadline too. We were 29-19-6 on February 14th and then everything imploded. Sure, we were still competitive for a little while, but it all went downhill from there.

It's tough. Atkinson's contract is killing us next season. Hopefully we get the last ounce of hockey out of him or that's really going to hurt. If he plays well enough, perhaps he can be dealt at the deadline. Risto and Johansen are a big $9M waste of space too. Risto is especially painful because he has 3 more seasons with us. If we can't unload him at some point, that's a lot of baggage to carry around, especially assuming he continues to be injured or ride the bench.

With TK, obviously a lot depends on how badly he wants to be here for the duration of his career. Is he willing to wait 2-4 years to be truly competitive and is he also willing to take a little less cap hit in order to be a Flyer for life and potentially win Cups in Philly down the road? The guy is arguably just entering his prime and I don't think it's crazy to sign him to an 8 year extension (he just turned 27), assuming that's what both parties want, and given that he plays a style of game that our fans really appreciate.

I mean, what is this team moving forward without TK!? We would have to get an absolute haul in return for him in order to let him go. Obviously, if we're in the position of losing him for nothing, then that's a different story. If he doesn't re-sign in the offseason, you're forced to sell high on him at some point. I can't see him leaving, quite frankly.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Thanks to confirmation from a TSN’s NHL insider, Darren Dreger, it is now known that Philadelphia Flyers head coach John Tortorella will still be the team’s bench boss next season in spite of wild speculation.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
  • Thanks to confirmation from a TSN’s NHL insider, Darren Dreger, it is now known that Philadelphia Flyers head coach John Tortorella will still be the team’s bench boss next season in spite of wild speculation.
Not surprising nor should it be. If I truly had to point a giant finger for the biggest reason is goaltending! Amazing how it always kills us.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not surprising nor should it be. If I truly had to point a giant finger for the biggest reason is goaltending! Amazing how it always kills us.
Flyers could have stood up for their player, but they didn't. They could have said the whole thing was a closed matter and an embarrassing political sham investigation by a foreign government won't deter them from putting the best team on the ice for their fans.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win tonight makes no sense beat a good team lose to crap! Pens have some tough ones Flyers get jersey and crapitals you never know.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win tonight makes no sense beat a good team lose to crap! Pens have some tough ones Flyers get jersey and crapitals you never know.
Yeah, we picked a terrible time to finally get a fucking win. It really is too little, too late. The Isles have about clinched and the Pens/Caps/Wings all have an extra game left to play. We're still 11th because of that fact, even after the damn win.

We would need a lot of help to get in and even then, we are the 2nd wild card. Why the fuck couldn't we muster up a win anytime in the last 3 weeks!?!

I hope to be proven wrong, but I don't think we can win the last two games anyway. Huge pressure on home ice against division rivals.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If we were only going to win one more game for the rest of the year i just loved beating the Rags !!

We still have a pulse , lets go miracles do happen!!

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we can put that whole "the players quit on the coach" thing to rest after last night win.

Last night was a perfect example of what you are saying above of how bad the goalies have been. We got some decent goalie play last night and beat the top team in the league.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looking at our defense of the future. Its pretty bright:

Cam York is a future number 1 defenseman IMO. Sooner than later.

Hopefully Drysdale can play to his potential as he is still very young at just turning 22 this month.

Sanheim is going to be a solid 3

Bonk as a four it could be worse

Risto Seeler, Ginning ,Zamula ,Attard Andrae.

You could mix and match my top 4 or 6 but i believe York is the best defenseman we have by a lot.

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess we can put that whole "the players quit on the coach" thing to rest after last night win.

Last night was a perfect example of what you are saying above of how bad the goalies have been. We got some decent goalie play last night and beat the top team in the league.
Too bad we couldn't at least get two more good efforts previously, we may still be in it.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All three ahead of Flyers are underdogs tomorrow night.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All three ahead of Flyers are underdogs tomorrow night.
All I know is to expect the unexpected. For me, it's a small miracle for us to just beat the fucking Devils. If that doesn't happen, nothing else matters. That's an early 5 pm game too.

With the way fucking NYI and Pitt are playing right now, even if we win both games, we'll finish 5th in the Metro and 9th in the East.

That's just fucking lovely...Lol

Last edited:

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I know is to expect the unexpected. For me, it's a small miracle for us to just beat the fucking Devils. If that doesn't happen, nothing else matters. That's an early 5 pm game too.

With the way fucking NYI and Pitt are playing right now, even if we win both games, we'll finish 5th in the Metro and 9th in the East.

That's just fucking lovely...Lol
Eff the effing effers

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hanging on by a thread.
We had a team meeting or regroup session or whatever after Montreal. Where the fuck was that meeting after getting spanked by the last place Hawks in Philly? Where was it after losing 5, 6 or 7 straight games and getting blown away by the last place Blue Jackets!?

Wtf have we been waiting for!?! That's my issue!! We can win the last two games now, but it's very likely too fucking late to mean anything. It's only going to give us a worse pick in the 1st round and STILL miss the playoffs.

I've loved this team all season long, but the last three weeks has been beyond frustrating!!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Where was this effort and goaltending throughout that 8 game losing streak!?! Not that we played extremely well or anything this afternoon, but we would've won at least a couple of those games within the losing streak had we played like this. Then, we'd probably still be sitting 3rd in the Metro and already have a playoff spot virtually clinched.

Unless a lot of things go our way tonight yet and on Monday too, this is over even if we beat the Caps on Tuesday. We will know at that point whether the game has any meaning, but it's unlikely.

What a way to end the fucking season!! Letting our hated rivals, the fucking Penqueens sneak past us into the playoffs and we finish 9th, the last team out.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
All I can fucking do now is watch the Pens play the Bruins and hope they get spanked. Then, watch them play Nashville on Monday night and hope for the same result. We are fans of the Bruins and Predators right now.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So, in order to make the playoffs as the final wild card, we need the following to happen:

Detroit to lose one of their two back to back games against Montreal in regulation (Mon and Tues night).

Pittsburgh to lose one of their two remaining games against Nashville and NYI in regulation (Mon and Wed night).

Washington to lose to Boston or win in a shootout Monday night.

Beat Washington in regulation Tuesday night in Philly.

It actually is pretty damn tight. The Wings are in good position, but they lose the tiebreaker to everyone, so they really need to beat Montreal twice in two nights. Then, they need the Caps to not win both remaining games against Boston and us. That puts them in. If they lose to Montreal at all, especially in regulation, that really hurts their chances.

Pittsburgh fumbled the ball tonight. They now need to win both remaining games and have the Caps/Wings both lose a game.

The Caps basically need to win at least one of the last two in regulation, then have both the Wings and Pens lose one. If they beat Boston and us, they are in, no matter what. So, I'm sure that's what they are trying to do. The Pittsburgh regulation loss tonight really helped them.

If the Islanders somehow lose to both NJ and Pitt, that really throws a wrench into all of this. They have to win at least one or get two points.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pretty sure we have been officially eliminated from playoffs after Saturday night's activities!