• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2023-24 Flyers: What's new is old again.

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On further review, I suppose there is a tiny thread left that we are still alive since beating the Devils last night. But as Maverick has stated, for all intents and purposes, the Flyers are done. Also, rumors swirling that Torts is done as well.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On further review, I suppose there is a tiny thread left that we are still alive since beating the Devils last night. But as Maverick has stated, for all intents and purposes, the Flyers are done. Also, rumors swirling that Torts is done as well.
Yes, the playoff chances are very slim, but Torts isn't done here. You can Google that and a bunch of articles pop up that read to the contrary. I'm just a little pissed off that we horrifically blew 3rd place (and the playoffs) in the Metro after having held it for most of the season. Epic fucking collapse.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Probably the best result for the franchise now is to win on Tuesday, but still miss the playoffs. Detroit beats Montreal twice and gets in. Minnesota wins out and passes us. We finish 6th in the Metro, 11th in the East and end up 12th overall in the draft lottery. That gives us a 5.1% chance of picking 2nd overall, which is the luckiest result we can get right now. We can't draft 1st.

This would be a lesson learned for all of the younger players and we would be able to reload at the draft too. Hoping picking 12th overall is high enough to get a big impact player.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes, the playoff chances are very slim, but Torts isn't done here. You can Google that and a bunch of articles pop up that read to the contrary. I'm just a little pissed off that we horrifically blew 3rd place (and the playoffs) in the Metro after having held it for most of the season. Epic fucking collapse.
Of the four still in running Money pick has Caps in best position at 34%, the. Detroit 26 flyers 22 Pens 20. lol

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of the four still in running Money pick has Caps in best position at 34%, the. Detroit 26 flyers 22 Pens 20. lol
I would say 22% is a little high for us. If the Caps beat Boston in regulation or OT tomorrow, it's over. The final game won't even matter. Their regulation win over Tampa was big.

It's a miracle that we're still in this race anyway. You can't lose a season high 8 games in a row this time of year and expect to remain in a playoff position. The urgency needed to be there a couple weeks ago. Now, it's too little, too late.

It's fucking easy to play free and loose now. The pressure is completely OFF. If we somehow make it in, a small miracle has taken place.

Last edited:

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say "a little" if you are like me. I am damn pissed that this team just flat-out died because of what? They were a pissed that Walker was traded and "The Captain" was benched without any communication as to why? That is some pretty thin reasons for throwing away a chance at the playoffs because they are hard to come by generally speaking in all professional sports!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't say "a little" if you are like me. I am damn pissed that this team just flat-out died because of what? They were a pissed that Walker was traded and "The Captain" was benched without any communication as to why? That is some pretty thin reasons for throwing away a chance at the playoffs because they are hard to come by generally speaking in all professional sports!
Well, I don't think this collapse, while extremely frustrating, erases all of the good that has come out of this season. I believe seven of our players have had career years. We're 7 wins and 12 points ahead of last season with still a home game left to play. Our overall goal differential is +30 ahead of last season. Our penalty kill is 4th and we lead the league in shorthanded goals by a wide margin with 16. We have the 3rd most shots in the Nhl and have given up the 2nd fewest amount of shots.

These are all still very promising numbers, so yeah, I'd say we're headed in the right direction here.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Also, I believe this was a perfect shitstorm. We ran Ersson, Sanheim and York into the ground and they folded under the workload and the pressure. Part of that is as a result of losing Hart, Walker and Seeler. Part of it is replacements like Johnson, Drysdale, Petersen and Sandstrom struggling in relief. Part of it is probably also on Torts for pushing the wrong buttons at times later in the season. On top of all of that, the power play was God awful all season long and our youngsters couldn't outscore all of the defensive issues game after game. I mean, we can't even score on full two minute 5 on 3 man advantages. That should be an automatic goal. Quite frankly, how do you even lose a faceoff when up two men!? I noticed that in the last game. Terrible.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Every team the Flyers are interested in won last night. Caps, Pens, Wings.

But also the Wild who climbed over them to the 13th lottery slot.

eaglesnut

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Woohoo if we get to #11 we could draft a Morin again!

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I was under the impression that the Caps beating Boston in regulation had us eliminated, but I guess if we beat them tonight in regulation, we still win the tiebreaker via points earned in the season series. I just don't see both the Wings and Pens losing their final game in regulation. If the Wings lose and we win (both in regulation) tonight though, that will make things really interesting Wednesday night. The Pens would have to get at least a point against the Isles to make the playoffs ahead of us.

Would be nice to get in, but I'd call it very unlikely at this stage. The Islanders are hot, but I don't think they have anything to play for in that final game tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, we should get everything Washington has tonight. They know that if they get the two points, they are in. Nothing anyone else can do, aside from us stopping them. Should be a highly competitive game.

The 8 game losing streak still sits in my mind like a plague. If we just could've won a couple of those games, we wouldn't have to hope that other teams lose. We could just win and be in. The Capitals are in the driver's seat, without question, but I'd also hate to spoil it for them and then see the fucking Pens get in instead.

Last edited:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I was under the impression that the Caps beating Boston in regulation had us eliminated, but I guess if we beat them tonight in regulation, we still win the tiebreaker via points earned in the season series. I just don't see both the Wings and Pens losing their final game in regulation. If the Wings lose and we win (both in regulation) tonight though, that will make things really interesting Wednesday night. The Pens would have to get at least a point against the Isles to make the playoffs ahead of us.

Would be nice to get in, but I'd call it very unlikely at this stage. The Islanders are hot, but I don't think they have anything to play for in that final game tomorrow night.

Meanwhile, we should get everything Washington has tonight. They know that if they get the two points, they are in. Nothing anyone else can do, aside from us stopping them. Should be a highly competitive game.

The 8 game losing streak still sits in my mind like a plague. If we just could've won a couple of those games, we wouldn't have to hope that other teams lose. We could just win and be in. The Capitals are in the driver's seat, without question, but I'd also hate to spoil it for them and then see the fucking Pens get in instead.

Ya, pretty long odds I would imagine. Need the Wings and Pens to lose in regulation and beat the Caps in regulation.

Other side of the coin, Pronman has the "top of the lineup" prospects tier ending at #13. So let's just hope we don't see a Flyers win, Wings lose, Pens win, Wild lose type of finish that would slot them at #15.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Basically, the opposite of last night.
Ya, pretty long odds I would imagine. Need the Wings and Pens to lose in regulation and beat the Caps in regulation.

Other side of the coin, Pronman has the "top of the lineup" prospects tier ending at #13. So let's just hope we don't see a Flyers win, Wings lose, Pens win, Wild lose type of finish that would slot them at #15.
Wings on the road.
Pens on the road.
Flyers at home.

purdue81

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not yet it comes down to game 82.
Just read it. Pens and Detroit have to lose in regulation. Flyers have to win in regulation. Then Flyers and Caps go to the fifth tiebreaker - Points differential where the flyers have a big lead - a smaller negative differential.

Easy peezy

Sparhawk

SportsHoopla Ombudsman
Hoopla Cash
$ 6,357.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ill Be Back Jim Carrey GIF