• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022 Free Agency

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
holy shit you are delusional. 3 games out of a 4 year career justifies a first round pick?

you just refuse to admit I was right, its ok, I get it.

Well... was it a good first round pick? In hindsight no.... but it was due to injury. When he plays he appears very talented. It wasn't like he a) couldn't make the starting squad, or b) had off field issues.

I can pardon a guy due to injury from on field play. Was he a 'hit', no (esp. as RB it needs to happen almost immediately due to their shelf life)... could he have been a hit based on what he's shown not only this season but past ones? Absolutely. Then there's 1st round picks, "could he have been a hit?" NEVER... either never learned the NFL speed/game, had off field dumb issues, or just gave up/mentally quit. Penny was none of those things... those are truly shitty picks.

I think that's all stoker is trying to say. I am NOT for bringing Penny back for some 4 year $15M contract (unless $2-3M 1st year with like $1-2M guaranteed, basically no risk)... am I for bringing him back for a 1 year $2.5M contract? Sure.

He's had great career #s.... 5.5 YPC, 8 TDs on 212 attempts... 1,200 yards... now granted some were against some mediocre/terrible Ds, but whatever. Put that near 300 attempts and he's rocking 1,500 yards and 10+ TDs... and he's a pretty good blocker and was one of the better receivers in College (Russell just refuses to captain checkdown).

Again, I am all for letting Penny walk if it means big cash and seeing what we have in Jones, etc. BUT Carson is prob. retiring/done, Collins will walk, I like Homer on STEAMS but that's it... so we're pretty thin... if we can keep him cheap I'm fine with it. AND we don't have great draft capital and we have holes at LB, CB, DL, OL... and we need to basically blow every single pick on those positions... we had the worst coverage from linebackers in the NFL this year which explains why EVERY team is basically able to pick up 3rd and 8 like it's nothing.

Last edited:

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No, I just don't care for your opinion. You've ridiculed every move this team has made for a decade and have had zero self-awareness of any time you have ever been wrong. Anything that can possibly be seen as going your way and you thump your chest and declare your superiority.

Ive called out their mistakes and ive been right a lot. Most here LOVED the adams trade, but I knew it was shit from day 1.

Ive been saying to fire pete for a few years now, people here are FINALLY seeing that I was right. Fans here are blinded.

I don't care about justifying Penny's draft position, so why are you so adamant that his draft position be introduced in this discussion. That's history and can't be undone (BTW, I generally think it's best to avoid RBs in the first round). You can talk about a draft four years ago, I'm discussing whether a 1 year prove it deal is worth the investment now.

Its not, stay the fuck away from him.

You get so wrapped up on whether or not your opinion is superior to everyone else that you can't even see past Penny's previous draft position to even contemplate anything beyond his removal from the team. Same thing you did with Harvin, Graham, and countless other Seahawks players you hate. Hell, I've yet to figure out exactly what it is that you like about the team.

Its not the players I hate, its how they are used or how they were acquired.

Sorry you need to justify your pessimistic outlook on the team by demanding everyone see the future as hopeless as you do, but I think I'll just enjoy the mental exercise of contemplating about football.

The teams performance is justification

Well... was it a good first round pick? In hindsight no.... but it was due to injury. When he plays he appears very talented. It wasn't like he a) couldn't make the starting squad, or b) had off field issues.

I can pardon a guy due to injury from on field play. Was he a 'hit', no (esp. as RB it needs to happen almost immediately due to their shelf life)... could he have been a hit based on what he's shown not only this season but past ones? Absolutely. Then there's 1st round picks, "could he have been a hit?" NEVER... either never learned the NFL speed/game, had off field dumb issues, or just gave up/mentally quit. Penny was none of those things... those are truly shitty picks.

I said this when we drafted him, he is soft and finesse NOT a smash mouth runner. He isnt a fit on the team at all. In that sense alone it was a bad pick and showed the team was no longer picking based on any sensible logic and was just picking guys. that pretty much explains our current predicament.

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news for us is that the Rams only have 5 mill in space, the 49ers 10 and the cards 20 mill in 2022. We may have some tough choices but no where as bad as all the other NFC West teams. This should give the Hawks a chance to do something with not top flight FA but upper middle tier type.

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The good news for us is that the Rams only have 5 mill in space, the 49ers 10 and the cards 20 mill in 2022. We may have some tough choices but no where as bad as all the other NFC West teams. This should give the Hawks a chance to do something with not top flight FA but upper middle tier type.

Difference is players want to play for the Rams... they're excited about McVay... they're not longer excited about Seattle and with Wilson a red flag and Carroll on the hot seat, nobody is coming here for cheap.... and that's what wins. Look at Tampa (and even 2014 Seattle).. bunch of players basically came there for free because of Tom Brady.

Seattle is at the point of needing to OVERPAY for free agents, and that's a BAD place to be. Nobody is going to come to Seattle to play for Carroll... they'll come to play for Wilson at most, which is the only saving grace Seattle has to not be a < 6 win team for the foreseeable future.

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Difference is players want to play for the Rams... they're excited about McVay... they're not longer excited about Seattle and with Wilson a red flag and Carroll on the hot seat, nobody is coming here for cheap.... and that's what wins. Look at Tampa (and even 2014 Seattle).. bunch of players basically came there for free because of Tom Brady.

Seattle is at the point of needing to OVERPAY for free agents, and that's a BAD place to be. Nobody is going to come to Seattle to play for Carroll... they'll come to play for Wilson at most, which is the only saving grace Seattle has to not be a < 6 win team for the foreseeable future.
The players love the all in approach, but if if it falls short the Rams have them selves set up for a big fall and players won't be loving them anymore. I'm not sure how many years out before they have a first, but its several years. This year they have no first or second, they are strapped cap wise and players like Donald and Stafford are getting older. Rams fans are not sold on McVay at all. Just read some of their game threads. I'm really hoping they get eliminated in short order in the playoffs and frankly they haven't played all that well so....... :hope:

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive called out their mistakes and ive been right a lot.
Confused Gary Coleman GIF

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you cant tell me trading a 1st and a starting C for a receiving TE and then proceeding to make him block on the majority of plays was a good idea, can you?

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting final game in the context of looming free agents.
  • Gerald Everett. Super frustrating player or at least one who is hard for me to figure out. The talent is clearly there, but he must have cost at least 4 TDs this year directly from turnovers, drops, or mistakes. Just imagine how maddening that TD drop would have been yesterday had the game mattered and that lost it for us. I could take him or leave him....definitely don't think he out played his salary this year.
  • Quandre Diggs. Did he just become more affordable? Hate to see the serious injuries, but him doing down yesterday may have just nudged the odds of his return a little toward the affirmative even if just a smidge. He had a really strong year.
  • Rashaad Penny. Amazing what he looks like when he's healthy and given a real opportunity. Lose the emotion about the first few years, and I think we are better off with him back in '22. But if you're mad at him for being hurt a lot, then I guess you want him punished and chased out of town. If Pete comes back, and it sounds like that's what we are going to see, then I think you have to have Penny in the fold to give yourself a shot to make it work. Of course there is risk there with his track record of being unavailable, but he has talent that is unique to this roster.

returnofjakedog

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ive called out their mistakes and ive been right a lot.

Ive been saying to fire pete for a few years now, people here are FINALLY seeing that I was right. Fans here are blinded.
You are correct in that you have been right a lot based on total numbers but since you've shit on every single move the team has made forever now your percentage of getting it correct probably hovers around 20%.

Too bad for you that it seems you will be getting yet another one wrong, as it appears PC will be back next year. Enjoy!

Snuggles overall take on his own team:
the grinch hate GIF

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are correct in that you have been right a lot based on total numbers but since you've shit on every single move the team has made forever now your percentage of getting it correct probably hovers around 20%.

Too bad for you that it seems you will be getting yet another one wrong, as it appears PC will be back next year. Enjoy!

the grinch hate GIF
Someone can go to every team before the season starts and say "you won't go to the SB" and be "right" at a rate of 93.75%...pretty impressive! :)

Sharkonabicycle

Bipedal Sea Dog
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting final game in the context of looming free agents.
  • Gerald Everett. Super frustrating player or at least one who is hard for me to figure out. The talent is clearly there, but he must have cost at least 4 TDs this year directly from turnovers, drops, or mistakes. Just imagine how maddening that TD drop would have been yesterday had the game mattered and that lost it for us. I could take him or leave him....definitely don't think he out played his salary this year.
  • Quandre Diggs. Did he just become more affordable? Hate to see the serious injuries, but him doing down yesterday may have just nudged the odds of his return a little toward the affirmative even if just a smidge. He had a really strong year.
  • Rashaad Penny. Amazing what he looks like when he's healthy and given a real opportunity. Lose the emotion about the first few years, and I think we are better off with him back in '22. But if you're mad at him for being hurt a lot, then I guess you want him punished and chased out of town. If Pete comes back, and it sounds like that's what we are going to see, then I think you have to have Penny in the fold to give yourself a shot to make it work. Of course there is risk there with his track record of being unavailable, but he has talent that is unique to this roster.

I think it's all going to come down to what they cost.

Everett
Everett had the drop yesterday and of course the San Francisco game where he literally swung the game anywhere from 13-21 points alone, lol. It was pretty ridiculous and I can't recall if I've ever seen a worse performance in a single game by a player, lol. Maybe he found out he got some chick pregnant overnight, who knows.

In any event, Everett was pretty close to 500 yards (last 500 yard TE was Graham in 2017) and a pretty strong second half of the season (excluding the above two instances)... so I dunno. I wouldn't mind seeing him on a 3 year $12M or so. I don't think he'll command a TON in the offseason, but Seattle's a team that never really seems to utilize their TEs much... we like to have them block a lot and Wilson doesn't throw over the middle much. It seemed a lot of the times he did throw over the middle were to Everett.

Diggs
The injury doesn't sound as bad as it could've been, he should be good to go next season. The injury certainly will impact his price, but I think he'll still command a decent one. With Adams, anything TOO large is a LOT to lock up in 2 safeties, but I like his play. He was one of our best QB ratings when targeted this year. If it's just fractures/bone and fibula, MOST people recover fully within several months. There are some long term complications. Either way I'd like to see him back.

Penny
UGH, this is just such a toughie. Yes he's looked like an All pro back the last several games and now apparently it's all clicking with AP on the team. Three of those were against some of the worst rush defenses in the league.... The Cards didn't have JJ Watt but were also playing for something major and still a decent enough D and Penny went off again. But the INJURIES... I kind of said the same thing with Carson last year. "Oh glad he's back" but then sure enough "here we go again." Penny is still young and I think teams are going to be looking at him, but it's just so unusual these days to pay a RB big money or long contracts. Would I be comfortable giving Penny anywhere over like a $3M per year? Nope. 3 year $15M too much, unless there's like NO guaranteed. If he's willing to come back for a 1 year $2M prove it deal with some incentives baked in? Sure.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

the grinch hate GIF

I come here to talk football not to cheer lead

My opinions everyone already knows.
Dump everett with prejudice, let some one else make the mistake of giving penny big bucks, keep diggs he is among the best players on defense for the team

Anointed One

Gone Country!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,716.70
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I come here to talk football not to cheer lead

My opinions everyone already knows.
Dump everett with prejudice, let some one else make the mistake of giving penny big bucks, keep diggs he is among the best players on defense for the team
You want to dump a hot player because he's injury prone but pay Diggs even though he just broke his leg and dislocated his ankle... How do you know he will be back to his former self? He will be 29yrs old this month...

JMR

Go Army!
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's all going to come down to what they cost.

Everett
Everett had the drop yesterday and of course the San Francisco game where he literally swung the game anywhere from 13-21 points alone, lol. It was pretty ridiculous and I can't recall if I've ever seen a worse performance in a single game by a player, lol. Maybe he found out he got some chick pregnant overnight, who knows.

In any event, Everett was pretty close to 500 yards (last 500 yard TE was Graham in 2017) and a pretty strong second half of the season (excluding the above two instances)... so I dunno. I wouldn't mind seeing him on a 3 year $12M or so. I don't think he'll command a TON in the offseason, but Seattle's a team that never really seems to utilize their TEs much... we like to have them block a lot and Wilson doesn't throw over the middle much. It seemed a lot of the times he did throw over the middle were to Everett.

Diggs
The injury doesn't sound as bad as it could've been, he should be good to go next season. The injury certainly will impact his price, but I think he'll still command a decent one. With Adams, anything TOO large is a LOT to lock up in 2 safeties, but I like his play. He was one of our best QB ratings when targeted this year. If it's just fractures/bone and fibula, MOST people recover fully within several months. There are some long term complications. Either way I'd like to see him back.

Penny
UGH, this is just such a toughie. Yes he's looked like an All pro back the last several games and now apparently it's all clicking with AP on the team. Three of those were against some of the worst rush defenses in the league.... The Cards didn't have JJ Watt but were also playing for something major and still a decent enough D and Penny went off again. But the INJURIES... I kind of said the same thing with Carson last year. "Oh glad he's back" but then sure enough "here we go again." Penny is still young and I think teams are going to be looking at him, but it's just so unusual these days to pay a RB big money or long contracts. Would I be comfortable giving Penny anywhere over like a $3M per year? Nope. 3 year $15M too much, unless there's like NO guaranteed. If he's willing to come back for a 1 year $2M prove it deal with some incentives baked in? Sure.
Money will of course be a factor, as to a degree it always is. The team appears to be in better shape than most in terms of projected '22 cap space.

Penny: you would *not* want him back at $3M?? That's less than half of Carson's '22 cap number. I think it would be a very smart move at that price, and I think there's a lot of reward in doing something to lock him up for 3 more years at a reasonable price. I don't think it would be all that difficult to structure in a way that isn't some cap eyesore. With the '22 cap projected to be like $208M, $3M is almost $1M less than what an avg player is going to make in the top 53.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You want to dump a hot player because he's injury prone but pay Diggs even though he just broke his leg and dislocated his ankle... How do you know he will be back to his former self? He will be 29yrs old this month...
Broken legs are freak injuries, he will recover fine like lockett did.

Throwing money at a guy who played just a few games because he is "hot" will be regretted

I was right about resigning carson, never should have happened.

blstoker

Bill Bergen for HoF!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,816.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Duane Brown is gonna be a hard one. Wilson has expressed that he really likes Duane, but he is getting up there, even for a LT. PFF graded him as a 72.0, which is the best of our OLinemen, but it's also a significant drop from 2020 (87.3) and the lowest he's been graded since his rookie season in 2008 (66.8).

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something fun to read and dream about:

What caught my eye was Orlando Brown tackle for the Chiefs. They gave a first to him so will be hot to resign him him but......they only have 28 million in cap space. I'd love the Seahawks to swoop in and steal him. :D

HaroldSeattle

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Hoopla Cash
$ 45.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So we've been debating about the cap vs 30 FAs and what kind of shape the Seahawks are in. So I found some graphs in that regard.

1641949218411.png

21 teams are losing less snaps on offense.

1641949388391.png

24 teams are losing less snaps on defense.

1641949486631.png

Looks like our free agents are set to do better, however not all free agents are the same for example I was dreaming about signing Orlano Brown....

1641949718701.png

Holy cow $24 million projected AAV, that would cut the Seahawks cap space in half so forget that. I'm thinking that has got to be exaggerated but then stud tackles are a rare item on the market and the Chiefs will be motivated to resign him after giving up a first for him.

Doesn't really answer the question per say but think it is a bit alarming, the rising cost of free agents and replacing 30 of them. Yes one can always sign 30 at minimum pay or maybe pay 29 at minimum pay and sign Orlando Brown. Whats going to happen IMO is instead of 15 minimum players they sign like 20 or 25 at minimum so they can afford to sign players that aren't scurbs and forget about players like Orlando Brown because they can't afford him. Rather players who make 5 million or 10 million and most closer to the 5 million mark and the 52 million in cap space well.....it's really not much with the cost of solid players ( and forget the studs). Undoubtedly some cap causalities will open up a bit more space ( mostly peanuts though) and maybe extending Wagner could help ( kick the can down the road) some, not sure how much though.

Anyways don't get excited by the amount of cap space. Here's the link where I got the graphs.

NFL teams set to lose the most, least value to 2022 NFL free agency | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

Last edited:

Screamin12th

Hoopla Cash
$ 6,290.90
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The players love the all in approach, but if if it falls short the Rams have them selves set up for a big fall and players won't be loving them anymore. I'm not sure how many years out before they have a first, but its several years. This year they have no first or second, they are strapped cap wise and players like Donald and Stafford are getting older. Rams fans are not sold on McVay at all. Just read some of their game threads. I'm really hoping they get eliminated in short order in the playoffs and frankly they haven't played all that well so....... :hope:

You know who else doesn't love the Rams? LA! lmao not joking. Being down here has shown me that this place couldn't care less about their football team. For a team that has 3 division winning seasons and 4 playoff births in the past 5 years it really makes no sense, They just hate this team. Then again the amount of Rams ads on TV is stupid! if every other ad was about the Hawks on TV I would throw my remote out the window! They want the Rams to have the support but this is not a football city.

I am interested in what happens in SoFi stadium, Neither one of these teams can draw a crowed. Will we see another sea of red like the last game there? If so then you really have to wonder about the support or lack there of from LA fans.

MrS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Anyways don't get excited by the amount of cap space. Here's the link where I got the graphs.
We are going to need wilson and wagner to take extensions that will lower their cap hit. especially wagner, I just dont see us paying him $20m next year when we can save $16m by cutting or trading him.