• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Free Agency 2022

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The Niners suck at drafting interior O-Linemen and CB's
Yes true but i think the sample size is small? IMO it is small because you don't normally expect a lot out of 5th round picks? Not to say 5th round picks are flyers, but they don't normally become solid starters.

For CBs, Witherspoon and Thomas were drafted in Round 3 and the next highest were 5th rounders DJ Reed and Lenoir. Thomas hasn't played enough and has some rope, so the sample size IMO is really 1 (Witherspoon).

For O-linemen similar in that only McGlinchey and Banks were drafted within Rounds 1 and 2. So yes they didn't do well here either but Banks still has some rope, so the sample size again is really 1 (McGlinchey). The next highest drafted O-line were 5th rounders McKivitz and Jaylon Moore.

Groo

Did you err ?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes true but i think the sample size is small? IMO it is small because you don't normally expect a lot out of 5th round picks? Not to say 5th round picks are flyers, but they don't normally become solid starters.

For CBs, Witherspoon and Thomas were drafted in Round 3 and the next highest were 5th rounders DJ Reed and Lenoir. Thomas hasn't played enough and has some rope, so the sample size IMO is really 1 (Witherspoon).

For O-linemen similar in that only McGlinchey and Banks were drafted within Rounds 1 and 2. So yes they didn't do well here either but Banks still has some rope, so the sample size again is really 1 (McGlinchey). The next highest drafted O-line were 5th rounders McKivitz and Jaylon Moore.
My sample size goes back to the Siefert era for CB's and Newberry was the last real hit we had in drafting an interior lineman.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
My sample size goes back to the Siefert era for CB's and Newberry was the last real hit we had in drafting an interior lineman.
Oooh, so you're old like me. :-)

Randy Cross, Jesse Sapolu, Fred Quillan, Guy McIntyre, and Harris Barton, then a big gap. Newberry was good but after him were Chilo Rachal, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Trent Brown. Then yes, another big gap and while McGlinchey isn't a 'bust', he isn't a #9 overall pick.

DurbanPoison2121

I'm just here so I won't get fined.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Randy Cross, Jesse Sapolu, Fred Quillan, Guy McIntyre, and Harris Barton, then a big gap. Newberry was good but after him were Chilo Rachal, Anthony Davis, Mike Iupati, Daniel Kilgore, Trent Brown. Then yes, another big gap and while McGlinchey isn't a 'bust', he isn't a #9 overall pick.
Check This Out GIF

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Looking at that list makes me feel olddddddddddd, lol!

Let's go way back!!! Keith Fahnhorst's daughter was my little sister's best friend back in elementary school. Back when the team practiced in Redwood City and a lot of the players lived in San Carlos, Belmont, Woodside, etc. We lived in San Carlos at the time. He would drop her off for sleepovers sometimes and chat with my dad at the front door. He looked like a damn GIANT to me. Took up the entire door frame. My dad was all of 5'7", and I just remember thinking that you could fit three of my dads into one Keith Fahnhorst when they stood next to each other.

Niner Outlaw

Stay out of my territory.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seattle is about to cut Edge Kerry Hyder.

If anyone cares to remember, he was a vet-minimum pickup before the injury-ruined 2020 season. With Bosa out for the season, he led the Niners in sacks with 8.5. He then signed with Seattle for a nice raise, where he did JACK SQUAT. So, they're cutting him.

Then again, considering his history, that isn't a big surprise. He had 8 sacks in his 2nd season (Detroit), and then 8.5 in his 5th season (SF). His other 3 seasons have totaled 3.5 sacks!

I think he'd make a nice vet-minimum pickup on a 1 year deal again to pair opposite Bosa. He definitely fit in our system and considering how he crapped out in Seattle, he'll come very cheap. Thoughts?

ANd for that matter, what about trying to woo Fletcher Cox for a SB run? The Eagles let him go, but he's got plenty of experience in our wide 9 front, and we DO need an inside player like him, and since he knows our system and there are already great outside pass rushers, he could really boost his value by playing here...just saying

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arden Key vising the Lions. He'd made a nice addition there and fit in well with what Campbell is doing in Detroit.

I still think Kerry Hyder would make a nice, cheap addition at DE, especially should we lose Key.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners resign:
RB J. Wilson
DE J.Willis
CB D.Johnson

Niners sign:
DE Kerry Hyder

And the Niners have signed Edge Kerry Hyder on a 1yr, 1.5M deal. 750k guaranteed. 750k in incentives. He was productive for us 2 years ago when Bosa was out--8.5 sacks. With Bosa back, taking some of the defensive focus, he should be productive again.

B/c He was cut by seattle, his signing doesn't count in the comp pick formula.

Good signing.

Last edited:

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners CB K.Williams signed with Denver on a 2yr, 7M deal.

Means we got a hole at NCB.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Niners CB K.Williams signed with Denver on a 2yr, 7M deal.

Means we got a hole at NCB.
With the CB and depth behind Bosa filled, i now think our first pick will be OT. If not OT, then an OG or C/OG type.

I have to believe Ford will play else why extend him........again? Otherwise, an Edge (speed rusher) would stiill be a Need.

Now i am for best player so saying OT if value is close. If not close, draft the more talented player with the higher potential, even if its not a big need.

Dean_Youngblood

Pumped Up Kicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Niners resign:
RB J. Wilson
DE J.Willis
CB D.Johnson

Niners sign:
DE Kerry Hyder

And the Niners have signed Edge Kerry Hyder on a 1yr, 1.5M deal. 750k guaranteed. 750k in incentives. He was productive for us 2 years ago when Bosa was out--8.5 sacks. With Bosa back, taking some of the defensive focus, he should be productive again.

B/c He was cut by seattle, his signing doesn't count in the comp pick formula.

Good signing.
Could definitely look like a value signing when it's all said and done....

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Arden Key vising the Lions. He'd made a nice addition there and fit in well with what Campbell is doing in Detroit.

I still think Kerry Hyder would make a nice, cheap addition at DE, especially should we lose Key.
What made Key valuable is his pass rush form INSIDE, but his asking price must be way up now?

After just signing Hyder, we aren't going to see Key again.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What made Key valuable is his pass rush form INSIDE, but his asking price must be way up now?

After just signing Hyder, we aren't going to see Key again.
I think Key was leaving regardless of whether we signed Hyder.

I think the team is hoping to makeup for Key's inside pressure with more of Hurst, who missed all but 2 games last year. I don't expect us to get much out of Givens.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I think Key was leaving regardless of whether we signed Hyder.

I think the team is hoping to makeup for Key's inside pressure with more of Hurst, who missed all but 2 games last year. I don't expect us to get much out of Givens.
I guess so since we didn't read much if at all on Key.

Yeah, if Hurst can add pressure from inside, that would be great. While we're hoping Kinlaw to be the primary guy, always better to have a rotation.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
There is some logic in this article, because we do have a core of top talent as is. As fans we always want to plug every single hole and sign every high end FA, but its not like we started with a bad team.

Free agency hasn’t necessarily been slow for the 49ers, but their lack of splash moves is glaring in an offseason defined by the movement of big-time talent. San Francisco’s operation in free agency doesn’t underscore a lack of faith in its roster to contend, or a lack of cap flexibility. Instead it highlights the reliance the team will have on its stars that are already in the building.

The 49ers were at their best this season when their stars played like stars. Deebo Samuel, Nick Bosa, Fred Warner, George Kittle, Kyle Juszczyk and Trent Williams all headline a roster that should be ready to contend for Super Bowls. Warner, Kittle, Juszczyk and Williams all have deals that put them at or near the top of the market. Pending extensions for Samuel and Bosa should also put them with the elite at their position. There aren’t many teams that have that much top-end talent on their roster, and that doesn’t even get into running back Elijah Mitchell who had a terrific rookie season in 2021.

With five All-Pro-caliber players are already in the building it gives a team some leeway when it comes to adding stars. The 49ers would’ve loved to add Chandler Jones, Allen Robinson or another top free agent, but the absence of urgency from the front office when it came to landing a star shows their belief in the players they’ve acquired over the last five years.

Instead of making major waves, the 49ers added cornerback Charvarius Ward to a relatively modest deal. He’ll help a cornerback group that struggled with depth a year ago.

They also set out to improve their dreadful special teams units and did so with linebacker Oren Burks and safety Geroge Odum – both special teams aces for their former teams.

Arden Key is coming off a career year, but instead of paying him the bigger money he’ll get in the open market, the 49ers brought back 2020 sack leader Kerry Hyder to fill that void.

By the time the dust settles the 49ers will have the core of their roster that went to the NFC championship game and carried a two-score lead into the fourth quarter. Minor tweaks might actually improve the team top-to-bottom, even if they didn’t grab any offseason NFL headlines.

There are still question marks under center that will play a major role in how far this iteration of the 49ers goes, but those are largely unanswerable until the games start. Ultimately as long as their stars shine, the 49ers will be a factor in 2022 even if they didn’t ‘win’ the offseason.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets sign former Niner DL Solomon Thomas. 1 year deal.

Niner Outlaw

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Arden Key signs with the Jags. Reportedly 1 yr and up to 7M. With the Jags already having Allen and likely drafting an edge player, Key looks like a backup and rotational player.

deep9er

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Arden Key signs with the Jags. Reportedly 1 yr and up to 7M. With the Jags already having Allen and likely drafting an edge player, Key looks like a backup and rotational player.
I wouldn't say this is way too high but thats the way it is. Can't blame Key for getting the most he can, ala Hyder..