• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2022-23 Season Thread

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Side note: the Amex stickers aren’t on the Kings’ helmets today.

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there a guy with an In-N-Out hat with a Habs jersey behind Stoll?

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is Byfield on the top line instead of Fiala?

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Valardi’s 20th. What did they put in his Corn Flakes?!

Kings4OT

Suck my Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt see it, heard knee on knee and not good for Fiala

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Didnt see it, heard knee on knee and not good for Fiala
Yep. Still not back. Then the no call on the instigation by the Avs and finally the penalty called in the King that wasn’t there.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why is there a guy with an In-N-Out hat with a Habs jersey behind Stoll?

Just saw this. Kings/Habs played Thursday night, so I assume they stayed the weekend and caught a second game. They had some writing on their nameplates for some social media presence, so I think the two dudes were trying to get their names on TV/promote their brand.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,022.73
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fiala out against Nashville and Kings looked a little lethargic to me. Nashville also fighting for their playoff lives, so they just looked hungrier and more structured. Missing Forsberg and they seem to lack a ton of talent. But they lean on their defense and goaltending, and it seems to work for them. That all being said, the Kings had their chances. Vilardi and Kempe also did their same shootout moves, and the goalie was ready. Kind of how Kopitar had his signature fake shot. then backhand deke where he slides it 5-hole. Did that for a long time, and then goalies caught on, so he abandoned it. He's been bringing it back sparingly though.

Nashville game felt more like a playoff game. Tight checking, not a lot of room out there. I think those are the good tests for LA, and they did okay overall. I can't remember the last time the Kings played such a low scoring game.

I have a real hard time figuring out the lineup changes and line combos night in and night out (and you could easily throw in the goaltending now too. Feels like a coinflip every game on who might play). I know they want to have true left-handed paired with right-handed defensemen on all 3 pairings, but it seems to change a lot with personnel. Durzi hurt, so Spence in made some sense, then they immediately stopped using him after he seemed to have a solid game in Colorado. I don't get it.

Then with forward combos, it's hard to follow. For sure they seem to like and have locked in Kempe-Kopitar-Byfield. Even though Byfield doesn't score goals, that line has been putting up numbers and depending on the matchups, they seem to be pretty solid. Danault seems to anchor the second line, and they mix who he plays with a lot. Last year it was a lock it would be Danault and Trevor Moore, and you could argue that was the Kings best line in that playoff series with Edmonton. Moore has been hurt, so it seems like Arvidsson-Danault a lot (Maybe I am wrong, but it was like Iafallo and/or Villardi with them). Seems to be back to Moore now. Then they run Fiala with Lizzote together on the 3rd line, which is weird on paper. Pretty high paid 3rd liner in Fiala, but he's all over the PP and it's interesting usage. 4th line is seemingly different every night. Kaliyev sometimes. Kupari a lot lately. Grundstrom sprinkled in. New guy from Philly seeing a lot of 4th line minutes lately.

It's like LA is simultaneously flexing their depth, and at the same time exposing their lack of it. Like in football when you have 2 QBs, you really have none.

These were the lines for that Nashville game:
1678778962783.png

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am soooooo sick and tired of hearing Alex and Jim say “…turn over by Byfield…”. In this game alone I’ve heard it 3 times since the start of the game.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am soooooo sick and tired of hearing Alex and Jim say “…turn over by Byfield…”. In this game alone I’ve heard it 3 times since the start of the game.

Byfield needs to be a lot more than a digger for a 2nd overall. Iaffalo does that being an undrafted free agent. Not impressed at all. Kaliyev another one. Get these two the f**k out of here.

Sick of the hype, start delivering.

Last edited:

CaptHowdy00

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Byfield just called for delay of game. It was stupid.

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I couldn't help but laugh when he scored into an empty net, pretty much the only way he can score.

Deader2818

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would do a package of Kaliyev and Byfield to PHI for Carter Hart?

PuckinUgly57

Don't be a jabroni.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Who would do a package of Kaliyev and Byfield to PHI for Carter Hart?

Intriguing, but I'm not sure for a few reasons.

- with new brass in town in Flyerland and Fletcher's career track record of being an idiot gone, they are going full blown rebuild.

While Hart may not line up in terms of a projected timeline to backstop them when/if they are a contending team, they will still need solid goaltending to hold the fort unless their plan is the Chicago let's go for intentional tank plan. His numbers aren't real pretty the last few years but a lot of that is attributable to the teams in front of him.

His PO numbers are actually very good but he only has one PO season under his belt. However the same could be said for Korpisalo as well.

- giving up a 1st round pick for Korpisalo and Gavrikov, you have to believe Blake has intentions of signing one or the other if not both. My target would be Korpisalo, as much of a positive Gavrikov has been. The Kings do not have anything remotely ready to be even a backup at the NHL level in Ontario, Portillo remains unsigned and could be a UFA too this summer going the NCAA route and even then he is 22 and will need time in Ontario before coming to the Kings. Copley has been solid overall but he is not a legitimate starter. The Kings need to prioritize goaltending for at least a few years at the NHL level.

My plan would be get Korpisalo signed to a 4 year deal, get Portillo signed and have him start his professional career in the AHL ans see where he's at in 2 years unless for some reason he is lights out and NHL ready. Assume Gavrikov walks and then use Byfield and/or Kaliyev to shore up the LHD position by trade.

The Kings still need another solid LHD as is, if Gavrikov leaves they'll need two - Byfield carries the most value and these two would net those in trades IMO.

Last edited: