• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Masters Golf

Zooky

I make chunk plays.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think most everybody is going to try to say that there isn't a ton of pressure on themselves. You saw essentially the same thing from Mcilrroy and Reed in that respect. Who cares?

Obviously you were not following the story.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
in no world is 64 on a Sunday choking.

And it wasn't like he put is drive in the woods, it was just unlucky that it clipped the tree limb.

I'll bet late last night he paid somebody to climb that tree and cut that limb off.
I can't verify where I was after I "left" the course.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It looked pretty damn hard until it rained. Those greens were crazy fast before Saturday.
Did you know they have systems in their greens that suck the water out as well as heat and ac? You could hear them running at times. Never heardid of anything like that before.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to love it when the Players was in March. It was a nice mini major warm up before the Masters.
The Fed Ex cup screwed that all up and they moved the Players to May.

But it's going back to March again in 2019 because the Tour Championship was creeping into football season.

Yeah, start it off with a big tournament then get into the majors is the way to go. Don't get me wrong, I love watching it Just like the other ones better and the US Open is my favorite by a mile.

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you know they have systems in their greens that suck the water out as well as heat and ac? You could hear them running at times. Never heardid of anything like that before.

They said it on the broadcast a few times and I looked it up. Crazy, but I guess when you have unlimited money you can do those things to your course.

I'm just hoping my local course can keep better care of their bunkers this year...

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

In most cases I think Augusta gets the greens right where they want them during play.

But it's my opinion they want them just a bit softer then they used to. Tiger hates slow greens and he complained about it a couple of times.

And if you look at 13, it seems like everybody and their mother goes for it in 2 theses days. Maybe that is the bigger drives talking but 13 use to have a real fear factor because the ball can easily roll off the green into that little creek.

Tiger once putted into that creek the greens were so fast.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe it's just the fact that the season opens up with the same course every year. The course just plays easier than it should for these guys because there's no mystery for any of them.

I get it that majors are supposed to be harder than the normal courses, and when you see -15 winning it feels less than a major accomplishment. I think the conditions have a huge influence on the winning score at AN...and one thing I like to applaud AN for is no longer having these knee jerk responses to scoring....they set out to bring the shot values back to the Masters and for the most part they done that with the last round of changes.

Conditions allowed for a softer course and lower scoring....conditions were terrible in '07 and +1 won.

Yeah familiarity is one thing, but you still have to hit the shots....Couples probably has 20 times as many rounds under his belt than Patrick Reed...Heck, Mickelson probably has 10 times as many rounds played at AN as Reed does.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In most cases I think Augusta gets the greens right where they want them during play.

But it's my opinion they want them just a bit softer then they used to. Tiger hates slow greens and he complained about it a couple of times.

And if you look at 13, it seems like everybody and their mother goes for it in 2 theses days. Maybe that is the bigger drives talking but 13 use to have a real fear factor because the ball can easily roll off the green into that little creek.

Tiger once putted into that creek the greens were so fast.

It's just too short for the hazards to be that intimidating anymore. It's a mid to short iron (for the big hitters) into the green and that's shooting a 3 wood off of the tee. If they want to make it interesting again they'd have to move the tee box back at least 30 yards. That hole was actually the biggest disappointment as far as this Masters went.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

lol...the greens did get subair system installed sometime ago. Reportedly they were put in to get the course back in playable shape as quickly as possible after a rain. idt they do much more than suck out moisture. Heat and AC I'm not sure about, but I wouldn't put it passed them.

Interesting, one of our clients knows a member and he's played it several times. The course is actually closed for most of the summer. That kinda makes sense with Bentgrass greens. The few courses that have continued with bent greens are awesome in spring and fall, but they taking a beating in July/Aug.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I used to love it when the Players was in March. It was a nice mini major warm up before the Masters.
The Fed Ex cup screwed that all up and they moved the Players to May.

But it's going back to March again in 2019 because the Tour Championship was creeping into football season.

It's going back to March because the PGA is moving to May I thought.

At the crux of it is the TC infringing on the NFL.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I get it that majors are supposed to be harder than the normal courses, and when you see -15 winning it feels less than a major accomplishment. I think the conditions have a huge influence on the winning score at AN...and one thing I like to applaud AN for is no longer having these knee jerk responses to scoring....they set out to bring the shot values back to the Masters and for the most part they done that with the last round of changes.

Conditions allowed for a softer course and lower scoring....conditions were terrible in '07 and +1 won.

Yeah familiarity is one thing, but you still have to hit the shots....Couples probably has 20 times as many rounds under his belt than Patrick Reed...Heck, Mickelson probably has 10 times as many rounds played at AN as Reed does.

Yeah, I get what you're saying and my gripe really isn't with Augusta in general. It's just that's the major that's not on a rotation so I get to bitch about it every year. If they really wanted nail biters again on a lot of these courses then the thing they need to do is look at the balls and the shafts and shorten these players games a little bit. They're better athletes and their swing tech is insane (way above players in the past) but the tour really sold its soul to the manufacturers. They got a lot of saps thinking that if they find the right driver they'll magically be sending it 250+ when it doesn't work that way. I play with a lot of guys who 'hit it 270!' when the fact is they get that once every other round and the average is maybe 150 and in a mess of weeds or water. If MLB handled their equipment like golf did then they'd have to move the fences back every 5 years or so and pitchers would be getting killed. It's not easy to do that with a golf course and the only thing that seems to challenge these guys as far as par 5's go is something over 600 yards.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Umm... Spieth flamed out with his 64?

Yep...I know flamed out sounds like he crashed and burned and I don't mean that obviously, but wouldn't par on 18 kept him at -14?

Unfortunately as a chaser trying to win, you can't afford to go backwards unless you get help from the leader so yeah, he flamed out on 18. A 2 shot lead on the 18th tee feels a whole lot more comfortable than a 1 shot lead so if not for Rickie, Jordan would've afford him that 2 shot cushion.

64 was a helluva round, but he knows he needed to post -14 and he had it in his grasp.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, I get what you're saying and my gripe really isn't with Augusta in general. It's just that's the major that's not on a rotation so I get to bitch about it every year. If they really wanted nail biters again on a lot of these courses then the thing they need to do is look at the balls and the shafts and shorten these players games a little bit. They're better athletes and their swing tech is insane (way above players in the past) but the tour really sold its soul to the manufacturers. They got a lot of saps thinking that if they find the right driver they'll magically be sending it 250+ when it doesn't work that way. I play with a lot of guys who 'hit it 270!' when the fact is they get that once every other round and the average is maybe 150 and in a mess of weeds or water. If MLB handled their equipment like golf did then they'd have to move the fences back every 5 years or so and pitchers would be getting killed. It's not easy to do that with a golf course and the only thing that seems to challenge these guys as far as par 5's go is something over 600 yards.

I hear ya.

I don't even think it's length...if they really wanted to make AN tougher, just grow the rough to 3 inches...I think they would be looking at +3 to -3 winning scores on average. That's not what has made the Masters, the Masters. It wouldn't be the world's most watched golf event year in, year out if that was the case.

#13 played to an avg. score of 4.28 on Sunday after an overnight rain...on Friday in windy conditions...4.77 avg...#15 4.66 Sun...4.86 avg. Friday that's a big difference. I think if we see a run of -15 winning scores over a variety of conditions, then I think we'll see AN take action again to modernize the golf course.

The ball...Jack has made comments about rolling the ball back and there has been discussion that the Masters has the clout to pull off a Masters spec golf ball...maybe they will need to go there, but I think growing the rough would be my 1st response if I did anything....well, maybe I would push 13 back some and try to make it driver hole...the only thing I don't like about the hole is some players get hit something less than driver and still get there in two.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
if they really wanted to make AN tougher, just grow the rough to 3 inches...I think they would be looking at +3 to -3 winning scores on average. That's not what has made the Masters, the Masters.

That is also not what the PGA or USGA wants anymore. They see deep rough in which players can barely get the ball back into to play as a ratings killer.

Half of the best shots you see these days are the 2nd shot after a bad drive. The ball is just always just sitting there out the open and there always seems to be a clear line to the green.

Shit, when I go looking in the woods after a bad drive ..I can't even tell if the sun is up.

gohusk

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is also not what the PGA or USGA wants anymore. They see deep rough in which players can barely get the ball back into to play as a ratings killer.

Half of the best shots you see these days are the 2nd shot after a bad drive. The ball is just always just sitting there out the open and there always seems to be a clear line to the green.

Shit, when I go looking in the woods after a bad drive ..I can't even tell if the sun is up.

That always pisses me off. There were a few where they basically had to take it out sideways or aim well short of the green. But at the courses I play the thick trees are there to protect everyone from each other.

Taddy Mason

Hoopla Cash
$ 24,579.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They said it on the broadcast a few times and I looked it up. Crazy, but I guess when you have unlimited money you can do those things to your course.

I'm just hoping my local course can keep better care of their bunkers this year...
spend a lot of time there?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We play similar golf courses...lol

There's one track I play maybe 3 or 4 times a yr...nearly every driving hole you get a 30-35 yd wide fairway and maybe 10 yds swath of rough on both side before you hit the tree line and they've thinned them out so 70% of the time you can still advance the ball or even reach the green if you have some creativity. The avg bogey golfer can play there with 1 ball and not break 90. Very fair, but not easy....I call it an easy bogey, hard par golf course.

My home track...you're lucky to find your ball in the trees, and underbrush..especially in the summer. And if you do, it's restricted swing punch out or an unplayable.

Majors...agreed...especially the PGA...they've figure out that the competition amongst the players is more exciting than watching man vs brutal course setup.