• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Masters Golf

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Do they try to shape it over the trees on the left?

I didn't spend a lot of time on 18 so I didn't see many groups tee off, but most guys I think try to cut off the bunker but the start line would probably be at the bunker.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It was pretty frequent seeing players hit from the woods both sides Sunday.

Okay...we know those trees are in play so the point was it's a bad mistake, but hardly a choke..it was a little unfortunate that he clipped it so far back...a lot guys that end up in the right trees have a mid iron in.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My point is that while he played a great round of golf up until then, I don't think it's wrong to say he may have choked on the 18th tee. He knew a birdie would tie him for the lead and he basically eliminated that possibility with that drive.
I don't think he choked, he tried to hit a fade but it just clipped a branch. These things happen.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah I guess we are just going to gloss over that 74 he shot on Friday when he made error after error..
Give the guy credit, he shot 64 in the final round.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So if he hits a decent drive on 18 the likelihood is that he still gets a par on that hole & loses by 1 instead of 2. Whoopee.

Then he would have done all that he possibly could by scoring the course record on Sunday. Of course he wasn't going to win anyway in hindsight.

From that tournament tee, that's a long fairly narrow chute of trees before it opens...I'm guessing the chute is close to a 100 yds long, so you can't have much curve going early off the clubface and he did on that one...it looked to me like was trying to cut it off the bunker and got it started a little bit too much left, and it didn't cut.

He knew the score to get was 15 was he went up there thinking he needed to make birdie. Hard to call that tee shot a choke, Idk how many balls clipped a tree on 18 for the week, but it happens a lot so it's hard for me to call that choking. Bad mistake at the wrong time.

hard for me to call that choking. Bad mistake at the wrong time.

Isn't a bad mistake at the wrong time the very definition of choking?

Roy Munson

Posting with one hand
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
fucking dopes calling a drive on 18 that clipped a tree branch a choke.

fucking internet is full of retards.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To sink a 3 foot putt is in the 98% range on tour ...yea, you miss that it's a choke.
Spieth's driving accuracy is 60% ....so not far off from half the time is he getting the ball in play.

A choke is not being able to do what would normally be real easy.

A 60% success rate would not fit the "real easy" criteria.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Then he would have done all that he possibly could by scoring the course record on Sunday. Of course he wasn't going to win anyway in hindsight.

hard for me to call that choking. Bad mistake at the wrong time.

idk about very...I would say under the pressure of must, not converting a routine task for a professional is chocking...say Scott Hoch missing that 2 footer, or Norman 6 shot lead blown.

Rory choked away his Masters, Spieth has too. But the tee ball on 18? Enough tee balls found the trees through out the week that Idk if we can say it was a routine task. Even after hitting the tree I thought he had to make 4 (reasonable task with these guys short games and the stats back that up) and keep some kind of heat on Reed...so in that regard I can buy choking on some level, but not so much the tee ball.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yes. It's performing sub par per your usual standards under the greatest pressure. For instance, if Lebron has scored 50 points in the game so far, but misses 2 free throws with the game on the line in the last seconds that would be considered a choke.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm at a loss to understand how a tee shot could be properly struck and hit a tree limb.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes. It's performing sub par per your usual standards under the greatest pressure. For instance, if Lebron has scored 50 points in the game so far, but misses 2 free throws with the game on the line in the last seconds that would be considered a choke.

Lebrons free throw average is 74%
Spieth driving accuracy is 60%

Getting the ball in the fairway is far from automatic.

NEhomer

Hoopla Cash
$ 944.55
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The 3rd hole has equal value to the 18th hole mathematically but as far as holding onto a score, the 18th is the more crucial of the two holes.

R.J. MacReady

Hoopla Cash
$ 3,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Again, I'm a huge fan of Rory and it kills me to say it...

His first drive on the 1st was a hell of a lot more of a choke than Jordan's ever will be.
His drive was way way off target. (reeds was too but he won so it don't count)

Rory's fairway

8689648872_dcfe39fbcf_b.jpg

Jordan's fairway.

Masters-Golf-2018.jpg

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I would add...a great FT shooter like a Rick Barry or Stephen Curry going to the line down 1 with 1 sec left on the clock and they missed both FTs...that's a choke...put a Wilt Chamberlin or Shaq in that same situation...maybe not....now if Shaq or Wilt missed a dunk.

18 was not a routine fairway tee ball imo.

Wazmankg

Half Woke Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 581.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Of course it's not. Hit fairways can be a misleading stat, too.. 6 inches off the fairway counts as a missed fairway though it's usually no harm/no foul. First off, I'm not entirely comfortable with the term choke. It's very subjective and often misused.. sort of like like "heart". I have no particular rooting interest and Spieth seems like a good guy, so I have nothing against him. He had a great round Sunday, but there was absolutely no pressure on him until very late in that round. I think that it may have gotten to him on the 18th tee.

It's not an easy driving hole and that's sort of the point. But I didn't see anyone else hit it as far left as he did there all week and they showed dozens of tee shots there with their graphic streak that shows the flight of the ball. His tee shot was clearly well left right off the face.

So all of the sudden he's standing on the 18th tee knowing he needs par or birdie for a realistic shot at the title. To give himself a good shot at either, he had to give himself a clear approach shot. He wasn't able to do that. He hit a poor shot.. well below his standard, at the worst possible moment, under a great deal of pressure, when only a decent drive was required. Call it what you will, but I think the pressure of the moment got to him.

SU Nittany Tide

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,096.91
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course it's not. Hit fairways can be a misleading stat, too.. 6 inches off the fairway counts as a missed fairway though it's usually no harm/no foul. First off, I'm not entirely comfortable with the term choke. It's very subjective and often misused.. sort of like like "heart". I have no particular rooting interest and Spieth seems like a good guy, so I have nothing against him. He had a great round Sunday, but there was absolutely no pressure on him until very late in that round. I think that it may have gotten to him on the 18th tee.

It's not an easy driving hole and that's sort of the point. But I didn't see anyone else hit it as far left as he did there all week and they showed dozens of tee shots there with their graphic streak that shows the flight of the ball. His tee shot was clearly well left right off the face.

So all of the sudden he's standing on the 18th tee knowing he needs par or birdie for a realistic shot at the title. To give himself a good shot at either, he had to give himself a clear approach shot. He wasn't able to do that. He hit a poor shot.. well below his standard, at the worst possible moment, under a great deal of pressure, when only a decent drive was required. Call it what you will, but I think the pressure of the moment got to him.
A) I saw plenty of players hitting out of the left trees on Sunday. I'm assuming some of them hit it further left than clipping the far right branch.

B) It didn't appear he actually really knew what the scores were. When he was walking off the green he looked up at the leader board and got very frustrated at himself.