• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2018 Free Agency

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We could've gotten Mathieu with what we paid Bostic AND Burnett. IDK but it does help the needs we have.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Oh boy! Not good!

But, I'm not fretting, I'm thinking that's all they could afford most likely...much like the LB signing, I don't think either change the draft strategy, but should not have to reach.

I'm still feeling Reid is their guy...hopefully!

FWIW...the mocks are all putting only 2 S in the 1st round...Fitzpatrick and Derwin James...I think the Steelers will have a good shot at LVE or Reid.
Scratch that... After texting my family about it I realized I was confusing Burnett for Randall. They had nothing but good things to say about Burnett:

"Actually has turned in to a solid player when healthy. I think you guys scored a solid playmaker hwo has excellent tackling skill S and is a good ball hawk. I hate to lose him!!!"

"Super solid safety but better at run stopping & hitting than open area coverage. If I graded him in Madeen it would be as follows... Coverage B, Run Support A, Diagnosing Plays A, Speed C, Physicality B."

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

We could've gotten Mathieu with what we paid Bostic AND Burnett. IDK but it does help the needs we have.
Starting to like this signing more & more. Definitely went for the value spread vs the bigger signing. Getting 2 potentially reliable starters vs 1 all-star type. The talent is obviously far better with Matheiu vs Burnett, but you can't argue the reasoning behind doing what they did. And as ATL said, none of these acquisitions should affect their draft strategy. It will insure them into not knee-jerking or reaching.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Starting to like this signing more & more. Definitely went for the value spread vs the bigger signing. Getting 2 potentially reliable starters vs 1 all-star type. The talent is obviously far better with Matheiu vs Burnett, but you can't argue the reasoning behind doing what they did. And as ATL said, none of these acquisitions should affect their draft strategy. It will insure them into not knee-jerking or reaching.
Burnett has a long history of injuries... If he plays 10 games it will be worth the signing.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burnett has a long history of injuries... If he plays 10 games it will be worth the signing.
Well considering the way the Packers used him that makes sense... You can't expect a smaller frame safety to play in the box that much and hold up for 16 games. If the Steelers keep him at FS, then injuries wouldn't concern me.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well considering the way the Packers used him that makes sense... You can't expect a smaller frame safety to play in the box that much and hold up for 16 games. If the Steelers keep him at FS, then injuries wouldn't concern me.
Burnett lacks the speed to play traditional FS. He is more productive playing near the line of scrimmage because of his good instincts and tackling ability.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Burnett lacks the speed to play traditional FS. He is more productive playing near the line of scrimmage because of his good instincts and tackling ability.
There's still a possibility for the Steelers to transition Sean Davis, the current SS, to FS. In that scenario I would definitely be concerned about Burnett's injury history.

But still... That's a bargain for a starting caliber safety contract. If he stays healthy then its a steal of an acquisition.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's still a possibility for the Steelers to transition Sean Davis, the current SS, to FS. In that scenario I would definitely be concerned about Burnett's injury history.

But still... That's a bargain for a starting caliber safety contract. If he stays healthy then its a steal of an acquisition.
Evidently the Packers felt he was disposable.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Evidently the Packers felt he was disposable.
Maybe so. Can't complain since we got him fairly cheap and I believe the FO knows he's not a long-term solution.

GNG

What Me Worry?
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Maybe so. Can't complain since we got him fairly cheap and I believe the FO knows he's not a long-term solution.
If he can stay healthy then the Pittsburgh got a solid addition to its secondary.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

IDK if Mathieu is worth both players, but I think we need to see the break down on Burnett's deal...if it's front loaded (say $5+ mil this season), your point would be right they could've fit a 1 yr $7mil deal.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shade tree gets a shot at redemption. Honestly surprised they gave him another shot. The D-line whisperer/guru Mitchell couldn't get anything out of him, how is Dunbar supposed to? Who knows. League min deal for a player that knows the system. Guess we could view it as insurance. But I'm not betting that he'll make the 53 again. He was a complete waste last season.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Yo Tee

Hoopla Cash
$ 5,749.98
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/contract-details-for-new-steelers-s-morgan-burnett/

The cap hit numbers are becoming a little more clear...2018 looks to be $2.4ish for Burnett and roughly $1.3 to to $1.4 for Bostic...so...less than $4k combined...that's pretty good work to fill some holes on a budget.

Definitely good signings. Bostic was on my short list of FA LBs I thought we should get and Burnett can be a very good safety for us.

I'm gonna pose a question anyway in case of differing opinions. Does signing either Bostic or Burnett put a need ahead of another? For instance, I think Burnett is a better signing than Bostic. So does that put the LB need ahead of the S/CB need? Or, if you think Bostic is a better signing, does signing him put the S/CB need ahead of the LB need? Or, does signing both Bostic and Burnett put another positional need ahead of LB AND S/CB?

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Shade tree gets a shot at redemption. Honestly surprised they gave him another shot. The D-line whisperer/guru Mitchell couldn't get anything out of him, how is Dunbar supposed to? Who knows. League min deal for a player that knows the system. Guess we could view it as insurance. But I'm not betting that he'll make the 53 again. He was a complete waste last season.

Window dressing signing. What it tells me is they want to have some bodies in camp...I still expect to see them draft a DT...no lock for McCullers to make the 53.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Definitely good signings. Bostic was on my short list of FA LBs I thought we should get and Burnett can be a very good safety for us.

I'm gonna pose a question anyway in case of differing opinions. Does signing either Bostic or Burnett put a need ahead of another? For instance, I think Burnett is a better signing than Bostic. So does that put the LB need ahead of the S/CB need? Or, if you think Bostic is a better signing, does signing him put the S/CB need ahead of the LB need? Or, does signing both Bostic and Burnett put another positional need ahead of LB AND S/CB?

jmho...Both FAs are bridge players. Generally speaking I think the needs prior to FAs are still needs today. I agree Burnett is probably a longer term option than Bostic, but that will depend on the development of the draft pick.

In terms of the draft strategy...I think it allows the FO to widen out...maybe not a true BPA situation. By that I mean they could entertain a lessor need. If a higher rated OLB or a plug and play CB was on the board at 28 now I think they are in position to take the higher rated player and focus on the needs in the 2nd and 3rd round. If that higher rated player was a RB...Idk if they would take him.

FaCe-LeE-uS

ΔΣΦ
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,513.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
www.steelersdepot.com/2018/03/contract-details-for-new-steelers-s-morgan-burnett/

The cap hit numbers are becoming a little more clear...2018 looks to be $2.4ish for Burnett and roughly $1.3 to to $1.4 for Bostic...so...less than $4k combined...that's pretty good work to fill some holes on a budget.
Just more of the same stellar work on the books by the wizard Omar Khan! Would have loved to see him try to work a bigger contract in, but I'm happy with a 2 for the price of 1 type of situation.

ATL96Steeler

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Just more of the same stellar work on the books by the wizard Omar Khan! Would have loved to see him try to work a bigger contract in, but I'm happy with a 2 for the price of 1 type of situation.

I'm pleased as well...I think if they had been able to sign Bell long term and bring his '18 CH down we would've seen a bigger name FA signed.