• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Entry Draft

Retroram52

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hextall swung a trade with Winnipeg to move down four spots, packing the Flyers’ #18 pick and their third round pick at #79 to obtain the 22nd overall pick, which originally belonged to Chicago, and Winnipeg’s own second round pick, which is the 36th overall and the sixth in the second round. With that 22nd selection, the Flyers grabbed 6-1, 185-lb center German Rubtsov from the U-18 Russian national team.

He’s a full-sheet player, a playmaker first and foremost,” Hextall said. “He’s responsible, brings speed and plays the game the right way.”

The Flyers looked at the board when their original pick came up at #18 and decided they could roll the dice on still getting Rubtsov while obtaining an early-second-round pick that they’d hoped to add. It gives them a total of three selections in Saturday morning’s second round.

“We had a really good backup plan that we were comfortable with,” Hextall said. “We said best case scenario, we get this guy, and at 37 we’re looking at a group. Then, if we don’t get this guy, these [other] guys are close, so we’re OK with it. Otherwise you don’t [make the trade].”

Rubtsov recorded 12 goals and added 14 assists for 26 points in 28 games for his Russian team this past season. That team was headed to the Under-18 World Championships in Grand Forks, North Dakota in April, but it was removed from the tournament because of a team-wide issue with the drug meldonium.

“That’s not a concern for us,” Hextall said. “We did our research on this kid, trust me. Up, down and all around. I think the hockey world understands [that it wasn’t his fault.] We did more research on this kid than I’ve ever done. He’s got really good character.”

“Him not being at the Under-18 in Grand Forks there, that was a big platform for him,” Hextall said. “I think there’s multiple reasons [he was available at #22,] but we’re very comfortable with him. This kid’s a real good hockey player. He brings speed, good size… he’s really, really smart.”

Rubtsov turns 18 on Monday, so even as draft picks go, he’s a young player. He’s under a two-year contract to play for Chekov Vityaz of the KHL, which his agent is reportedly trying to cancel. However, the Flyers are OK with waiting if that contract requires it.

The Flyers currently have nine picks remaining in the draft, but could add a 10th depending on what the Arizona Coyotes decide to do with a fourth-round pick they acquired from San Jose earlier this week. They owe the Flyers either that pick or a 2017 third-rounder to complete the Nick Grossmann trade from last year’s draft, and must inform the Flyers of their intentions by the start of the fourth round.

Looks like Hextall is just working his masterful plan and the speed factor has been added with our first pick with additional picks tomorrow. Look forward to whom the Flyers will add next!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wondering if Kunin was their real target at 18? Anyway, I like the concept of the Rubtsov pick - build strength down the middle. And, you don't want two of those guys to be small, which they would possibly have had with Giroux and Konecny. The Rubtsov pick should push/keep Konecny on the wing. We all know Cousins isn't the long-term answer.

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damn, that was a good time. The atmosphere was incredible. Leafs and Sabre fans are unbearable to be next to. Hextall was booed by the Sabre crowd for whatever reason? Leafs fans booed Bettman. Other than that, it was really cool. I was shocked to see Hex trade 18, but I think this Russian guy is going to be a very solid player for our future. His 2 way game is really solid according to some of the scouts. Craig Button loved this pick. Now we get 2 picks in the 2nd round. This team is looking good. Our prospect pool is going to be filled. The farm should be competitive and will be a good place to develop these young kids.

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 3 of the next 22 picks are ours and we have likely 10 more altogether in this draft. Not a bad spot to be in. Our prospect pool should be overflowing by the end of this draft and a lot of it will be high end talent, especially if we did our homework for today.

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, 3 of the next 22 picks are ours and we have likely 10 more altogether in this draft. Not a bad spot to be in. Our prospect pool should be overflowing by the end of this draft and a lot of it will be high end talent, especially if we did our homework for today.
:agree:

mall3013

Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Here are a couple of guys I think we should target w our 2nd rd picks?

Vladimir Kuznetsov, RW, 6-2/214, Acadie-Bathurst (QMJHL)

Nathan Bastian, RW, 6-4/205, Mississauga (OHL)

Simon Stransky, LW, 6-0/174, Prince Albert (WHL)

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One of Debrincat or Laberge will be available at 36. Think I lean Laberge, but either is my hope

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hexy really has done a great job this draft maximizing the assets so far.
And now 48 and 52 still to go.

wbon22

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I had to look Wad Allison up...the fact that he appears to be heading to college means he is probably three years away. Kinda has the looks of a right handed Scott Hartnell.

Loving the way Hexy is loading up the organizational depth.

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Carson Twarysnki at 82. Here come the names that I've never even seen