• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 WR Corps

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of #2 WR's in this league where do people think Tate would fall?

Quite a few teams have excellent #2 WR's. The Packers(Nelson/Jones) and Bears(Jeffrey) in our own division come to mind. So do the Colts (Hilton), Cardinals(Floyd), Falcons(White), Texans(Hopkins), Giants(Cruz), Steelers(Sanders), Dolphins(Hartline), and Titans (Washington). Where does Tate fall into the ranking of #2 WR's in this league?

I think Tate's upside is higher than everyone you mentioned except Hopkins....maybe. Tate has not had the luxury of having a pure passer as his QB. As good as Wilson has been the Seahawks will be a run first team.

As for White he was a great Wideout but injuries and age have slowed him down. I am looking at it from a right now stand point and not career.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Tate's upside is higher than everyone you mentioned except Hopkins....maybe. Tate has not had the luxury of having a pure passer as his QB. As good as Wilson has been the Seahawks will be a run first team.

I hope you are right because Tate's contract is the 21st highest average deal for WR's in the league.

I personally would put him with the potential to be in the top 5 of #2 WR's. But with that large of a contract he is going to really need to produce in my book to justify that type of $.

When you look at the numbers put up by some of the guys I listed in my first post an 800 yard season with 5 TD's isnt going to cut it. With teams still having to devote extra attention to CJ if Tate is any good at all he should be beating single coverage all day long every week and put up numbers well in excess of what he did last year.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That leaves Kris Durham, Kevin Ogletree, Pat Edwards, Corey Fuller and T.J. Jones fighting for those last two spots.
Fuller and Ogletree should be fighting it out for the last spot. Jones can take a red shirt year just like Fuller did. Ogletree is actually pretty solid, he had a couple nice games for the Dallas cowboys and made a few spectacular catches last year as well. Time for the Lions to see what they have in Fuller at this point. He has the prototypical size/speed combo (6'2"- 4.43) of a #2 WR in the NFL.

Edwards and Durham, suck.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Fuller and Ogletree should be fighting it out for the last spot. Jones can take a red shirt year just like Fuller did. Ogletree is actually pretty solid, he had a couple nice games for the Dallas cowboys and made a few spectacular catches last year as well. Time for the Lions to see what they have in Fuller at this point. He has the prototypical size/speed combo (6'2"- 4.43) of a #2 WR in the NFL.

Edwards and Durham, suck.

Truth!

Fuller has been lighting it up in OTAs too. Hopefully he does as well or better in Camp and preseason. Can't wait. He would allow Tate to move to the slot, although that new offense WRs play everywhere.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Truth!

Fuller has been lighting it up in OTAs too. Hopefully he does as well or better in Camp and preseason. Can't wait. He would allow Tate to move to the slot, although that new offense WRs play everywhere.

I really hope Fuller is the real deal and doesn't pull a Patrick Edwards by being just a "champion on the practice field."

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I really hope Fuller is the real deal and doesn't pull a Patrick Edwards by being just a "champion on the practice field."

Seriously. I think Edwards is just a guy they use as a smokescreen. He has no chance to make the team unless a lot more guys get hurt. Fuller needs to knock Durham off the roster. That alone would be a huge upgrade.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Seriously. I think Edwards is just a guy they use as a smokescreen. He has no chance to make the team unless a lot more guys get hurt. Fuller needs to knock Durham off the roster. That alone would be a huge upgrade.

They could leave Durham off the roster and just roll with 52 players and it would still be an upgrade.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect the WR corps to consist of CJ, Tate, Ross, Ogletree and Jones (you can throw in Ebron too as he'll be lining up in the slot quite often, Broyles to begin on PUP or the 11 week special IR). Fuller goes back to the P.S. unless Jones has difficulty rehabbing and at that point you could flip flop those two. My reasoning for Jones making the roster is merely the fact he has 4 yrs of college experience as a WR whereas Fuller less than 2 yrs (was a track guy prior to football). TE's Pettidrops and Fauria... Durham and Edwards gone after week by or before final cuts.

I won't get all caught up into Fuller's mini-camp progress, look at P. Edwards the last 2 years. If he proves his worth in pre-season week 3 and 4, then he's a go for the roster.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I expect the WR corps to consist of CJ, Tate, Ross, Ogletree and Jones (you can throw in Ebron too as he'll be lining up in the slot quite often, Broyles to begin on PUP or the 11 week special IR). Fuller goes back to the P.S. unless Jones has difficulty rehabbing and at that point you could flip flop those two. My reasoning for Jones making the roster is merely the fact he has 4 yrs of college experience as a WR whereas Fuller less than 2 yrs (was a track guy prior to football). TE's Pettidrops and Fauria... Durham and Edwards gone after week by or before final cuts.

I won't get all caught up into Fuller's mini-camp progress, look at P. Edwards the last 2 years. If he proves his worth in pre-season week 3 and 4, then he's a go for the roster.

No Broyles? He likely figures in the mix for the 3rd or 4th spot from what I've read so far this offseason.

Gulf of Brazil

Hoopla Cash
$ 4,227.03
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^^ TPaul

I've read where Broyles states he is progressing better than anticipated regarding his rehab. I'll still go with PUP or special IR to start the season until proven otherwise in pre-season games. 3 significant reconstructive surgeries in less than 3 years time and the last being a "ruptured Achilles tendon. "

I'll take the pessimistic side on this one.

Rollingthndr

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Any of you guys on see on ESPN that they ranked Tate and CJ behind AJ Green and Marvin Jones in WR duo standings? Marvin Jones had 1 good game in his career lol.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like we picked up recent 1st rounder Jon Baldwin off waivers.

I was all about this guy in the 2nd round when he came out a few years ago, but the Chiefs nabbed him before we got the chance. Thank God, because he certainly hasn't lived up to the billing.

He's tall and fast and athletic, but so far that hasn't translated to the pro game for him. Maybe he can show enough to merit a roster spot with us, he certainly has the talent, but I wouldn't count on it this late in the game- he needs more time in the system. Don't be surprised to see him pop up on the injury report late in the year only to go on IR to buy him some time with the playbook before camp a year from now...

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jon Baldwin is a colossal bust. Probably won't even make the 53 man roster. Nothing wrong with kicking the tires on him though. Not with this WR corp.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd feel better about our WR corp if the Lions weren't taking fliers on WRs during TC.

Kreton

Former 5x UFC Champion
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the Lions are trying to find a reason to cut Durham. Baldwin might be the reason if he looks good. I am pretty sure he knows this will be one his last chances.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd feel better about our WR corp if the Lions weren't taking fliers on WRs during TC.

At least we finally seem to have 5 spots pretty well firmed up. The rest of them are fighting for one spot.

Megatron, Tate, and Ross are locks. Broyles and Ogilvy are pretty sure bets as things currently stand.

That leaves Baldwin, Durham, Fuller, Edwards, Peacock, Jones, and Payton all fighting for a single spot. I think Payton is first out, he's a bubble player even at this time of expanded rosters. Peacock has been getting solid reviews, but I think a year of practice squad would do him well. Edwards is an easy cut as well. I think T.J. Jones is heading for a redshirt year via the PUP then IR.

That leaves Fuller, Durham, and Baldwin (depending on how fast he can catch on) vying for that last spot. I think Fuller and Baldwin get the edge there based on their youth, but Baldwin has already had a chance and shown very little.

I'd like to see Fuller get that last spot- he has the tools to be a legit deep threat in our offense, and a good special teams coverage player as well.

We still need to add talent to the position, but this is a very WR friendly offense. Lombardi will figure out what his receivers do well and put them in a position to succeed far better than Linehan did.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The scenario I would rather be playing out is that Lombardi already knows what he wants to do with Baldwin, and that's why they decided to take a look.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Baldwin already gone. Failed his physical.

Lions waived WR Jon Baldwin.

Baldwin failed his physical after being claimed off waivers from the 49ers on Monday. He's battling a left knee issue. With not much camp left, the Lions would rather go with the players who have been there all summer. Baldwin's injury isn't believed to be serious, but he could be sidelined a couple weeks.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Damnit- how do I embed a video?