• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 WR Corps

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our WR picture is getting murkier and murkier by the day.

Obviously Megatron and Tate are locked in as the #1 and #2 WRs, but beyond those two there's a lot of grey area right now.

Ryan Broyles, Jeremy Ross, T.J. Jones, Kris Durham, Kevin Ogletree, Corey Fuller, and Pat Edwards are all in the mix for 3 or 4 roster spots. Each have their strengths and weaknesses, although a month ago the situation seemed a lot more clear. Since then I've been hearing different good bits about all of these guys. Makes shit pretty confusing as to who will grab those final spots, imo.

I'll list what I perceive to be each guys' strengths and weaknesses so we can discuss who we think will take those last 3 or 4 spots:

Ryan Broyles-
Pros: Good route runner, soft hands, fair speed, intelligent, good moral character, ultra-productive in college.

Cons: Injuries- we all know about these, slightly under-sized.

Jeremy Ross-
Pros: Explosive, compact "RB" build, versatile (returns kicks and punts), cut his teeth in the Packer's system, good run-after-catch ability.

Cons: Raw, moderate straight-line speed, slightly under-sized.

T.J. Jones-
Pros: Young, good production in college, 4.4 speed, great hands, great routes, return ability.

Cons: Raw, unknown quantity, moderate size.

Kris Durham-
Pros: Elite height, 4.4 speed, experience/rapport with Stafford.

Cons: Dropsies, doesn't play to his timed speed, not the deep threat he should be with his size/speed combo, underwhelming production given his amount of snaps last season.

Kevin Ogletree-
Pros: Blazing fast, decent size, good hands, fair/moderate production at the NFL level.

Cons: Hasn't latched onto a starting gig with the three teams he's been with.

Corey Fuller-
Pros: Good size/speed combo, ultra-athletic, legit deep threat in college, NFL bloodlines.

Cons: Very raw.

Pat Edwards-
Pros: Ridiculously fast/fastest guy on the team, versatile, good college production.

Cons: Training camp superstar, disappears when games count, slightly under-sized.

As I said, I've heard good things about each of these guys through the spring- Broyles is ahead of schedule in his rehab, Edwards has stood out in camp for his speed, Durham got a mention for running crisp routes and having soft hands, Lombardi gave props to Ross and Ogletree specifically. Jones was just drafted, so clearly they like him, and Fuller was a stand-out during the rookie mini-camp.

All-in-all it looks like the WR depth chart will be one of the more intriguing story lines this summer. Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Last edited by a moderator:

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the Lions have 2 more wins and a playoff berth if they had Tate last season. After CJ it was shit plus or shit minus.

Now I would like to see 4 new guys make it after CJ and Tate but I doubt that would ever happen. My problem is the Lions had nobody outside of Calvin and they still couldn't find a guy that was already on their roster.

Maybe it was Schwartz and his penchant for loving his guys or Linehan's system. But Ross, Fuller, Durham, Edwards, and Ogletree all had a shots to secure the #2 or even 3 slot but the fact is we don't know who out of that group will make the team pretty much sums up the WR corps.

I liked Ogletree as he had done it before and still think he has a spot on the roster but will not be heartbroken if he gets beat out by a guy like TJ Jones. I honestly hope the Lions are shopping the waiver wire market this summer as I think every guy you listed can be replaced pretty easily.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm pretty optimistic that the new coaching staff, and their WR-friendly scheme can get more out of these guys than Lineham did. He knew how to move the football, but he ran out of fresh ideas several years ago and was waaaay too predictable last season.

All of the guys we have competing have some good potential, it's just a matter of finding the right fit for their talents.

Kris Durham really has me torn. He didn't really impress with the big opportunity he got last year, however, his statistical jump from 2012 to last season was huge. If he makes that big of a jump again he's a useful piece. Given his tools though, like his 6'6" frame, long arms, and legit 4.4 speed, one would think that he'd be far better. He's still young and has a great skill-set, so he's hard to cut, but does keeping him mean missing out on a better talent if he never puts it all together?

Pat Edwards falls into a similar boat, imo. I think he's the fastest guy on the team, hands down, (Dr. Eviler will back me up on that one I do believe. Look up the video of Reggie's long TD run in the home opener. At one point, when Bush is at full-speed, Edwards comes flying into the camera shot from behind like Reggie is jogging...). He has been the training camp star for two years in a row, yet he keeps disappearing when the lights come on. Do you hold on to him in hopes that he's finally turned that corner and can be a weapon, or do you cut bait and try a younger kid?

I like Corey Fuller, but his biggest asset is that he could probably be snuck onto the practice squad again. He's got the tools to be a deep threat in this new offense ala Robert Meachem or Devery Henderson, it's just a matter of how well he develops.

I think being a rookie draft pick gives Jones a leg up, but then again Fuller was also a 6th round pick and he didn't make the final 53, so who knows. Jones sounds far more pro-ready, though.

Ogletree can be a very effective #4 WR, and he's got the speed to be a good fit in Lombardi's offense. He looked decent for us last year after joining the team mid season, but injuries prevented him from getting more production when the opportunity for playing time presented itself.

Broyles likely claims a spot, unless he has a bad camp and goes on IR for the season. His rehab reportedly is well ahead of schedule, and if he's back to full-speed by the time season starts he'd be the front-runner for the slot job, imo.

Ross is another guy who could thrive making a living working underneath. He's got a RB body and can basically serve as an extension of the running game, though with far more run after the catch ability than Pettigrew...

themuzzer

Hoopla Cash
$ 400.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering we just drafted Ebron, I would like to think he will be our # 3 with all the talk about him lining up in the slot and Pettigrew on the other side.......Williams now transfering to OL....TE's Ebron, Pettigrew and Fuaria.

I think we only go 5 deep in WR core.

The Williams transfering to the OL is very telling......He's too talented to cut apparently, so the Lions will use him in other ways.....

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we might keep 6 WRs now that we're only rolling with 3 TEs. Ross adds value as a PR/KR, so maybe he's our 6th guy. Then again there's rumblings that we might go with 2 FBs on the roster, so that would likely lock in 5 WRs only...

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And Ebron is the defacto #3 WR.

VulturesRule

Nothing To See Here
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Considering it takes most WR's three years to adjust to and get the change from college to pro, it may be that some of those listed are finally going to gel. Patience is not a great commodity when every team is ostensibly trying to win now, so the fan frustrations are understandable for the franchise. As to the individual players, this would seem to be that make or break year for some of them.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interested to see if Corey Fuller can take a step forward this year.

Durham and Edwards had a lot of opportunity last year and were highly unimpressive. Hence the reason the Lions ponied up 20+ million for Golden Tate this off season.

Also want Ross to get a bigger shot to succeed in the slot this year. Not very confident about Broyles with all the injuries.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kris Durham really has me torn. He didn't really impress with the big opportunity he got last year, however, his statistical jump from 2012 to last season was huge. If he makes that big of a jump again he's a useful piece.

Their was a reason a guy with his size and speed was not drafted. When Detroit signed Fauria and Waddle I knew who they were and believed both would be 6-7 round picks. I had no idea who Durham was until the Lions activated him.

Pat Edwards for all his production in college has disappointed. IMO it's time to move on the Lions didn't invest in him so it's easy to move on.

Fuller I would still give every opportunity to as he is still inexperience in football but only to a point. If somebody better becomes available he is expendable practice squad as well.

Ogletree seems to getting some love from the new OC. He has doe it in the past so if I was looking to keep any of these guys for depth it would be him.

Ross is expendble IMO. Return guys are becoming less relevant as more kicks are touchbacks. He didn't excel as a wideout last season and thats were Detroit was dying for someone to step up. It's my take as it seems as WR go he is the most debated guy fighting for a spot.

Broyles, I hated the pick when the Lions took him and still hate it today. Unlike Edwards and Durham the Lions have a investment in the guy. So he gets some more time at the expense of someone. My biggest concern if he is healthy is how long will he stay that way? Guy is likely to pul a quad taking a leak.

I agree Ebron is the #3 but I still think the Lions need 1-2 guys to be relevant as WR. Riddick and Fauria will see time split out but that is the problem the Lions need to find a legit WR. Maybe TJ Jones will step up and surprise and be a 45 catches and 400 yard guy. I just would count on it.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kris Durham really has me torn. He didn't really impress with the big opportunity he got last year, however, his statistical jump from 2012 to last season was huge. If he makes that big of a jump again he's a useful piece.

Their was a reason a guy with his size and speed was not drafted. When Detroit signed Fauria and Waddle I knew who they were and believed both would be 6-7 round picks. I had no idea who Durham was until the Lions activated him.

Pat Edwards for all his production in college has disappointed. IMO it's time to move on the Lions didn't invest in him so it's easy to move on.

Fuller I would still give every opportunity to as he is still inexperience in football but only to a point. If somebody better becomes available he is expendable practice squad as well.

Ogletree seems to getting some love from the new OC. He has doe it in the past so if I was looking to keep any of these guys for depth it would be him.

Ross is expendble IMO. Return guys are becoming less relevant as more kicks are touchbacks. He didn't excel as a wideout last season and thats were Detroit was dying for someone to step up. It's my take as it seems as WR go he is the most debated guy fighting for a spot.

Broyles, I hated the pick when the Lions took him and still hate it today. Unlike Edwards and Durham the Lions have a investment in the guy. So he gets some more time at the expense of someone. My biggest concern if he is healthy is how long will he stay that way? Guy is likely to pul a quad taking a leak.

I agree Ebron is the #3 but I still think the Lions need 1-2 guys to be relevant as WR. Riddick and Fauria will see time split out but that is the problem the Lions need to find a legit WR. Maybe TJ Jones will step up and surprise and be a 45 catches and 400 yard guy. I just would count on it.
He was actually a 4th rounder. Not saying that really means much, but he was drafted...

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was an UDFA my bad.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought he was an UDFA my bad.

Doesn't really change much- he wasn't our 4th round pick, and he's already been cut by one team.

With a new staff coming in it really doesn't matter- they'll keep the guys they like best regardless of pedigree.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the Lions have 2 more wins and a playoff berth if they had Tate last season. After CJ it was shit plus or shit minus.

Now I would like to see 4 new guys make it after CJ and Tate but I doubt that would ever happen. My problem is the Lions had nobody outside of Calvin and they still couldn't find a guy that was already on their roster.

Maybe it was Schwartz and his penchant for loving his guys or Linehan's system. But Ross, Fuller, Durham, Edwards, and Ogletree all had a shots to secure the #2 or even 3 slot but the fact is we don't know who out of that group will make the team pretty much sums up the WR corps.

I liked Ogletree as he had done it before and still think he has a spot on the roster but will not be heartbroken if he gets beat out by a guy like TJ Jones. I honestly hope the Lions are shopping the waiver wire market this summer as I think every guy you listed can be replaced pretty easily.

IMO the Lions have 2 more wins and a playoff berth if Calvin catches 2 of 3 drops against Ravens and doesn't tip pass and catches against Bucs. Those were 2 games right there.

I do not claim that realist shit. However Stafford gets no pass from me, so CJ does not either. His drops there are just as big as fumbles and INT's. Plays in 4th qtr are magnified.

Those 4 WR's are nothing more than #4 or #5WR. Ogletree maybe the one guy who can be a #3. Giving a hole off season. Stepping in half way through season is hard to adjust to.

Tate stepped up as #3 and produced for Seattle as #1 WR due to injuries. Not going to happen with those other guys. IMO Tate was overpaid a little and the forementioned is why.

I would be happy with Ogletree, Ross, Broyles and TJ Jones if they keep 6... only 5 :noidea: Ross makes it hard decision.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kris Durham really has me torn. He didn't really impress with the big opportunity he got last year, however, his statistical jump from 2012 to last season was huge. If he makes that big of a jump again he's a useful piece. Given his tools though, like his 6'6" frame, long arms, and legit 4.4 speed, one would think that he'd be far better. He's still young and has a great skill-set, so he's hard to cut, but does keeping him mean missing out on a better talent if he never puts it all together?

I think being a rookie draft pick gives Jones a leg up, but then again Fuller was also a 6th round pick and he didn't make the final 53, so who knows. Jones sounds far more pro-ready, though.

Broyles likely claims a spot, unless he has a bad camp and goes on IR for the season. His rehab reportedly is well ahead of schedule, and if he's back to full-speed by the time season starts he'd be the front-runner for the slot job, imo.

Ross is another guy who could thrive making a living working underneath. He's got a RB body and can basically serve as an extension of the running game, though with far more run after the catch ability than Pettigrew...

Durham had a stat jump due to injuries. Nothing more... IMO he over achieved while underachieving if that is even fucking possible. BigGER numbers because of injuries, yet no WOW factor what soever.

Don't feel Jones will make PS without being nabbed up. Fuller can though again. I can not help but hope Broyles gets it together this year. This kid has busted his ass in rehab without giving up. Can Broyles still get seperation? That is scary part of his injuries.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
IMO the Lions have 2 more wins and a playoff berth if Calvin catches 2 of 3 drops against Ravens and doesn't tip pass and catches against Bucs. Those were 2 games right there.

I do not claim that realist shit. However Stafford gets no pass from me, so CJ does not either. His drops there are just as big as fumbles and INT's. Plays in 4th qtr are magnified.

Those 4 WR's are nothing more than #4 or #5WR. Ogletree maybe the one guy who can be a #3. Giving a hole off season. Stepping in half way through season is hard to adjust to.

Tate stepped up as #3 and produced for Seattle as #1 WR due to injuries. Not going to happen with those other guys. IMO Tate was overpaid a little and the forementioned is why.

I would be happy with Ogletree, Ross, Broyles and TJ Jones if they keep 6... only 5 :noidea: Ross makes it hard decision.

From everything I read and heard Detroit's receivers couldn't run a route if a line was painted on the field. Hard to get to pissed with Stafford when receivers were freelancing or just stupid. But thats if that was the case.

Detroit had one weapon last season at WR and teams knew it. Give Stafford a couple of other weapons and they beat the Ravens and Bucs. CJ's miscues included in my thought process. Detroit needs two WR that get over a 1000 yards for as much as they chuck the ball around.

CJ, Tate, Ebron, Broyles, Jones, Ogletree as WR and that frees up the TE position for Pettigrew, Furia, and a blocking TE/H-Back

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ryan Broyles-
Pros: Good route runner, soft hands, fair speed, intelligent, good moral character, ultra-productive in college.

Cons: Injuries- we all know about these, slightly under-sized.

Jeremy Ross-
Pros: Explosive, compact "RB" build, versatile (returns kicks and punts), cut his teeth in the Packer's system, good run-after-catch ability.

Cons: Raw, moderate straight-line speed, slightly under-sized.

T.J. Jones-
Pros: Young, good production in college, 4.4 speed, great hands, great routes, return ability.

Cons: Raw, unknown quantity, moderate size.

Kris Durham-
Pros: Elite height, 4.4 speed, experience/rapport with Stafford.

Cons: Dropsies, doesn't play to his timed speed, not the deep threat he should be with his size/speed combo, underwhelming production given his amount of snaps last season.

Kevin Ogletree-
Pros: Blazing fast, decent size, good hands, fair/moderate production at the NFL level.

Cons: Hasn't latched onto a starting gig with the three teams he's been with.

Corey Fuller-
Pros: Good size/speed combo, ultra-athletic, legit deep threat in college, NFL bloodlines.

Cons: Very raw.

Pat Edwards-
Pros: Ridiculously fast/fastest guy on the team, versatile, good college production.

Cons: Training camp superstar, disappears when games count, slightly under-sized.

Jones is heading to the practice squad. I think Ross is cut unless he shows himself to simply be an extraordinary return man. He is in the same mold as Broyles, Ogletree, and Edwards. He is likley fourth on the depth chart of those guys.

Not sure why Durham gets the rep as a pass dropper. Saw him at 5.9%, thats very respectable in comparison to other big name WR's. Heck, Pettigrew was at 4.8% and he is ridiculed for his drops in previous seasons. I think Durham makes the team.

This will be the last chance for Broyles. He needs to stay healthy. If truly healthy he makes the team.

Who the hell knows with Ogletree and Edwards. Same type of players. I think they tried Edwards returning kicks at one time. Perhaps that might give him an advantage but I still think that Ogletree wins that battle. Based on how I interpret the practice squad rules Edwards would be eligible to return to the ps for one more year if the Lions maintain no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times. If he doesnt make the team I think the Lions try to sign him for another year on ps.

CJ, Tate, Broyles, Durham, Ogletree, and Fuller make the team at WR. Edwards, Jones, and even Cody Wilson start the season on the practice squad.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jones is heading to the practice squad. I think Ross is cut unless he shows himself to simply be an extraordinary return man. He is in the same mold as Broyles, Ogletree, and Edwards. He is likley fourth on the depth chart of those guys.

Not sure why Durham gets the rep as a pass dropper. Saw him at 5.9%, thats very respectable in comparison to other big name WR's. Heck, Pettigrew was at 4.8% and he is ridiculed for his drops in previous seasons. I think Durham makes the team.

This will be the last chance for Broyles. He needs to stay healthy. If truly healthy he makes the team.

Who the hell knows with Ogletree and Edwards. Same type of players. I think they tried Edwards returning kicks at one time. Perhaps that might give him an advantage but I still think that Ogletree wins that battle. Based on how I interpret the practice squad rules Edwards would be eligible to return to the ps for one more year if the Lions maintain no less than 53 players on the active/inactive list at all times. If he doesnt make the team I think the Lions try to sign him for another year on ps.

CJ, Tate, Broyles, Durham, Ogletree, and Fuller make the team at WR. Edwards, Jones, and even Cody Wilson start the season on the practice squad.

Based on the camp news. Ross is seeing time in the slot so the other 2 are gone if Broyles is healthy. Fuller is lighting it up. Durham has been dropping balls a bit so he better hope Jones is sent to the PS or Durham will be looking for a new team. Ebron has impressed Stafford but still looks like he does not know how to properly catch a football. Not a huge deal as more than half on NFL receivers don't.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of #2 WR's in this league where do people think Tate would fall?

Quite a few teams have excellent #2 WR's. The Packers(Nelson/Jones) and Bears(Jeffrey) in our own division come to mind. So do the Colts (Hilton), Cardinals(Floyd), Falcons(White), Texans(Hopkins), Giants(Cruz), Steelers(Sanders), Dolphins(Hartline), and Titans (Washington). Where does Tate fall into the ranking of #2 WR's in this league?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In terms of #2 WR's in this league where do people think Tate would fall?

Quite a few teams have excellent #2 WR's. The Packers(Nelson/Jones) and Bears(Jeffrey) in our own division come to mind. So do the Colts (Hilton), Cardinals(Floyd), Falcons(White), Texans(Hopkins), Giants(Cruz), Steelers(Sanders), Dolphins(Hartline), and Titans (Washington). Where does Tate fall into the ranking of #2 WR's in this league?

Jones is a Raider now... Nelson/Cobb now, still better than Tate maybe??

Tate is middle of the pack as of now IMO. Tate has the tools to be a top five #2 WR. Last year he was forced to be a #1 and produced against top coverage backs. He will never see rolled coverage or a #1 CB unless CJ is hurt. Lions have only needed a WR who can get separation and catch. Hard to come by last few seasons. Many tried, many failed.

IMO some of this falls into Stafford's lap. He needs to stop forcing Megatron's way. No reliable #2 option will make a QB force I suppose?? He should now have one. I need to watch a season before I rank him.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So it's looking like Megatron, Tate, Broyles, and Ross are all pretty well locks to make the final 53 at WR, barring a disastrous training camp, or serious injury, etc...

That leaves Kris Durham, Kevin Ogletree, Pat Edwards, Corey Fuller and T.J. Jones fighting for those last two spots.

Should be interesting... my pre-camp hunch is that Ogletree and Jones take the jobs, with Fuller to the practice squad and Durham and Edwards cut.

I could also see Jones being put on P.U.P., short-term IR, or even IR for the full season, given that he's behind from having his shoulder scoped. If that happens I think either Durham or Fuller gets that last spot...