• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 1 - Blues vs Hawks

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow another tough game. think they are taking that 17 seconds the wrong way. 6.9 left.

Q was loading up with Toews, Kane and Bickell, but when Seabrook gets tossed, why the hell wasnt bollig put in the box to serve the penalty instead of putting Bickell in there?

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
wow another tough game. think they are taking that 17 seconds the wrong way. 6.9 left.

Q was loading up with Toews, Kane and Bickell, but when Seabrook gets tossed, why the hell wasnt bollig put in the box to serve the penalty instead of putting Bickell in there?

That's a real good point AI.
I'm not disagreeing but Bickell (5 seconds) plays just nearly as little as Bollig (zero seconds) on the PP. Saw the Box Score, Sharp & Saad also had zero PP time. Shaw & Versteeg each had a second of PP time. I guess that means that Bickell wasn't going to be out there for the remainder of regulation anyway.

Which is a tough way to give up the game-tying goal, killing off 7 straight minutes of penalty time.

In the past Cup years, the puck bounced the other way. Should we be worried? Maybe this is another repeat series like the Wings last season.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
dont know about worried. Miller still looks beatable. he makes a couple great saves, but most others are right in his chest with no traffic. I guess we see if Seabs gets suspended. That changing levels deal might work in his favor, the fact he was never suspended before might help, just seems the league will want to use this to send a message to everyone else.

Hawks are playing physical after not playing physical all year. Guess its really not their game.

you are right thought, bickell wouldnt have been on the ice anyway. Saad did a pretty good PK job when Toews was out, that was tough on those 6 guys, but Hanzeus showed why he is on the game roster for sure. Lets just hope for a two goal lead tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
3 games for seabs.

Listening to brandmeier, apparently there is a video going around accusing the blackhawks on the ice for saying wakey wakey to backus as he was staggering to his feet. He seemed to think it was fans in the background, but it was a canadian kinda accent.

Seems St Louis is out for retribution big time tonite, sweeping the series would probably count for most teams, somehow I think its gonna be a pinball machine today. Lets just hope like seabrook its someone that would dish it out as well.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Big win tonight.

Missed the game, I was at the Cubs game but keeping track of the Hawks the entire game.

Crawford needed this shut out, could do wonders for his confidence.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great game by Crawford but the Hawks gotta play better next time around. Crawford bailed them out big time tonight. Easily the 1st star of the game.

ChicagoIrish

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's what the radio was saying on the way home. Hawks didn't play great but escaped with a win.

A win is a win is a win, and in the playoffs, I don't care how they come.

If we tie this series, we will win the series.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah that's what the radio was saying on the way home. Hawks didn't play great but escaped with a win.

A win is a win is a win, and in the playoffs, I don't care how they come.

If we tie this series, we will win the series.

I agree a win is a win, just don't want to put that kind of pressure on the goalie.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was alot less pressure on crawford because the hawks were actually able to keep the puck down in the blues end a little more.

Handzous is answering all questions of why he is on this roster, but I give Q some credit by double shifting Smith and using him to run the second line after Zeus ends up with a long PK.

Still want to see Morin in for Versteeg though.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there was alot less pressure on crawford because the hawks were actually able to keep the puck down in the blues end a little more.

Handzous is answering all questions of why he is on this roster, but I give Q some credit by double shifting Smith and using him to run the second line after Zeus ends up with a long PK.

Still want to see Morin in for Versteeg though.

Yeah, also helps the goalie to play with an early lead.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Irish that it was great just to get the win, even though it wasn't pretty. Still waiting for someone to step up. In 2010 it was Buff. In 2013 it was Shaw. Maybe Bickell is poised to be that guy this year?

I agree a win is a win, just don't want to put that kind of pressure on the goalie.

Unfortunately D, that's the Hawks M.O. under coach Q. The D men are involved in the rushes up the ice which leaves to odd-man breaks which also leaves to Hawk goalies out on their own island, defenseless. Literally.

To their credit, Niemi (in 2010) and Crawford are very good in limiting the rebounds with all of the high quality scoring chances that they face. I wish casual fans would recognize how valuable that is in the system that coach Q runs.

Gotta give the Blues credit. They're playing very good. No quit in those guys.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Irish that it was great just to get the win, even though it wasn't pretty. Still waiting for someone to step up. In 2010 it was Buff. In 2013 it was Shaw. Maybe Bickell is poised to be that guy this year?

Unfortunately D, that's the Hawks M.O. under coach Q. The D men are involved in the rushes up the ice which leaves to odd-man breaks which also leaves to Hawk goalies out on their own island, defenseless. Literally.

To their credit, Niemi (in 2010) and Crawford are very good in limiting the rebounds with all of the high quality scoring chances that they face. I wish casual fans would recognize how valuable that is in the system that coach Q runs.

Yeah true, people like to act like the Hawks could win with any goalie in there but Niemi and Crawford were very good, Crawford deserved Conn Smythe considerations last year. And yeah, Blues are playing very well, not entirely the Hawks fault for so much pressure being put on Crawford so far. Hawks do have to find a way to tighten up tho, how much pressure can a goalie take?

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Bickell was the guy that stepped up last year with 9 goals and physical play until he got his knee wrecked. Then he hobbled away thru the rest of it. It has always been that secondary scorer that made the difference, I am hoping this year it ends up being one of the primary guys. Ben smith is playing great hockey, played great in 2010. I hope they keep the same cycle of using Smith to run the second line when its time to be offensive, Zeus to when they are protecting the lead.

Dont know who wants to be the man at the end, seems like those guys dont stay hawks for long. :17 seconds guys are all gone.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice win guys, way to play with the pride of a team that's defending the Cup!

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what an emotional roller coaster, squander the lead in that 1:07 end of the second period. didnt look good there. still wondering what the hell versteeg is doing out there. Ben Smith is being an absolute force out there when he gets moved up between great players.

Hossa and sharp are getting close, gotta get the next one.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did the Blues out-play the Hawks? I think so.

Do I feel that the Hawks didn't deserve to win? No way! How many times (just this season) did the Hawks skate circles around some teams, only to lose in a shootout, or in O.T. It's about time the scales tip in the other direction!

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gee. Ben Smith moved up to the second line with Kane and Sharp. Helllloooooo Q!!! What have we been saying all along?????

Sometimes I just wonder. I mean, Q putting Toews with Versteeg and Saad for the first two games? Really? Are you kidding me?

Now he has Toews, Bickell and Hossa and Smith, Sharp and Kane. That's way more like it. Two lines with some skills.

Next up, get that loser Versteeg out of there and get Jeremy Morin a chance to play on the third line. He's physical and he has a nose for the net. Versteeg is just useless baggage out there.

Anyways, it's been almost impossible to watch each and every game without going crazy. My blood pressure is so high watching I'm gonna need a cardiologist and defibrillator on standby.