• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2016 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 1 - Hawks vs Blues

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
tough game. ...How does Crawford leave the net open to fight in the corner and why are no D Men doing that for him?

Oh well, I think they said Q coached teams was something like 28-7 in games 5 and 6, we know they have it in them, but all that loose change that Elliot is leaving with really juicy rebounds are not being collected.
Yeah. Tough game. Seemed like Shaw, Ladd, Hossa & Keith each had some jump. But the rest of the team was flat.
As far as the D men not fighting for Crawford, I think even the D knew that Fabbri was pushed into Crow. Crow just lost his head perhaps?
I agree on the juicy rebounds. But Elliott has been incredible.

My goat of the game is a tie between Kane and Van Riemsdyk:

Kane - His "no look" passes are killing up-ice rushes. Especially since he's essentially passing them to Blues players. Plus, I counted a couple of times where Kane was between the circles, and instead of taking a shot (to create another juicy rebound), he passed it back to the blue line - eventually the rushes ended with no shots.

TVR - Maybe it isn't fair since I think he's made some solid strides in becoming a dependable D. But 2 goals by the Blues from game 4 were basically off of his stick.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah. Tough game. Seemed like Shaw, Ladd, Hossa & Keith each had some jump. But the rest of the team was flat.
As far as the D men not fighting for Crawford, I think even the D knew that Fabbri was pushed into Crow. Crow just lost his head perhaps?
I agree on the juicy rebounds. But Elliott has been incredible.

My goat of the game is a tie between Kane and Van Riemsdyk:

Kane - His "no look" passes are killing up-ice rushes. Especially since he's essentially passing them to Blues players. Plus, I counted a couple of times where Kane was between the circles, and instead of taking a shot (to create another juicy rebound), he passed it back to the blue line - eventually the rushes ended with no shots.

TVR - Maybe it isn't fair since I think he's made some solid strides in becoming a dependable D. But 2 goals by the Blues from game 4 were basically off of his stick.

I am really starting to hate that push back entry. If Kane has the puck, just get into the zone, he should be receiving the drop back pass, not leaving it on the ice for a d man. But he is getting the puck to the net, and taking alot of shots that have no room to get thru. I think the plan was to open up the passing lane for the one timers.

TVR is really getting the goat. I just brought up the Leddy deflection to show a guy with bad luck was let loose. Now twice for TVR. But I dont care if the puck is bouncing, it clipped his stick about 50 feet out, bounced 40 feet from the net and still went over the glove. Yeah, tough to catch a skipping rock, but its not like they are happening with no time for crow to react. I really think he is getting some national attention for his play though, and you know I give him extra credit for always being on the off side. You put Seabrook on the left and I bet the same thing happens to him.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Ott. He's one of those guys I'd love to have on my team. But you hate him otherwise. Maybe not Raffi Torres kind of hate.
It's getting to the point where Ott is in the Raffi Torres zip code of annoyance.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
well, rough day at work and I made it to the end. Elliot whining about his d men molesting Toews and tieing up his stick too, seems he complains about something each time one gets past him. that Panarin snipe with 0.3 left was a beauty. At least the Hawks took an OT win finally this entire season from the blues, but so annoying watching Runblad sit almost the entire third and OT and Hammer yet again failing to clear at the blue line since he was on his back hand and watching that two goal lead disappear with what looked like no fight.

Dont know if it did enough to break the blues will going forward though.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Elliot whining about his d men molesting Toews and tieing up his stick too, seems he complains about something each time one gets past him.
Looked to me like his own D-man was standing on the goal stick.
The longer this series goes, I'm starting to change my opinion of Elliott. It was tough to score goals on him, but as Edzo mentioned on the broadcast, how many of those shots were really "quality" chances. Blasts from the blue line or from bad angles just pads the SOG stats, making Elliott look invincible. When the Hawks start clogging up the middle, forcing Elliott to shift from post to post, he becomes more "human."
and Hammer yet again failing to clear at the blue line since he was on his back hand and watching that two goal lead disappear with what looked like no fight.
Hammer doesn't really have a strong forehand, and if his back is to the play he has no choice but to try to clear it on his backhand. I don't fault Hammer much for that. Especially since Seabrook has a more powerful shot yet fails to clear the puck on his forehand just as often IMO.

The Too Many Men penalty is inexcusable. And speaking of penalties I disagree TOTALLY with the Delay of Game penalty on Runblad. One of the Blues was shooting the puck in and it goes off the shaft of his stick out of play. How is that deliberate? Was stunned by that call.

Overall, the Hawks still look flat to me. I don't like that they're giving up third period leads. Unacceptable. Not the mark of chapmionship type team. At least we get Shaw back for game 6. And at least there is a game 6. But they still need to dial it up a notch or 2.

Last edited:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Pat Foley taking crap about his comments, the national broadcast used the dump button, but asshat Mike still had to make a big deal out of it.

Joe, the only thing that comes to mind was game one and two, they were launching shots from the blue line and he was not getting close to catching them with his glove, it was like his perception was bad and they were all higher than he thought they were going to be. So I think that lulled the hawks into it a little.

I also think they are really flat. I see Q is trying to get more talent thru the four lines, but Kruger is not an offensive center. Maybe Teuvo's better showing at the dot in the third will get him centering a line again and let Kruger get back to the fourth where his peskiness slows down that blues rush. The blues do not even look like they are working hard to get in the zone.

I do appreciate Panik and Ladd getting physical, but as long as the hawks survive I think the blues will be put out of position eventually to give up goals. The Hawks need to bury St Louis early tomorrow, probably try to get someone suspended for game 7

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Kruger is doing. But he sometimes suffers from what I call "Stalbergitis."
(From WebMD.com: Stalbergitis is a condition where quick, disruptive hockey players cannot stand on their skates for prolonged periods of time, resulting in falls to the ice with "equilibrium seizures".)

I disagree that the Blues don't look like they're working hard. Not only are the Blues clogging up the middle of the ice, preventing the Hawks from entering the zone cleanly, but they're quickly on the offense in our zone with quality scoring chances. Yes, the Hawks look flat, but in all fairness the Blues look like the better team at times.

I hope you're right about burying them early. But getting leads hasn't helped the Hawks much since they've allowed Blues' rallies. I'd rather see a tight game through 55 minutes, then have the Hawks score the go-ahead with less than 5 on the clock. The Hawks just seem to play harder when they don't have a lead.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like what Kruger is doing. But he sometimes suffers from what I call "Stalbergitis."
(From WebMD.com: Stalbergitis is a condition where quick, disruptive hockey players cannot stand on their skates for prolonged periods of time, resulting in falls to the ice with "equilibrium seizures".)

I disagree that the Blues don't look like they're working hard. Not only are the Blues clogging up the middle of the ice, preventing the Hawks from entering the zone cleanly, but they're quickly on the offense in our zone with quality scoring chances. Yes, the Hawks look flat, but in all fairness the Blues look like the better team at times.

I hope you're right about burying them early. But getting leads hasn't helped the Hawks much since they've allowed Blues' rallies. I'd rather see a tight game through 55 minutes, then have the Hawks score the go-ahead with less than 5 on the clock. The Hawks just seem to play harder when they don't have a lead.

I meant the Blues do not look like they are working hard entering our zone. There is not much conflict to get the puck in and its giving them more puck possession time than they should be getting. Just seems if the hawks get it out to the center of the ice, the blues are right back in.

I have a feeling Toews and the rest of the veterans here made it a point to protect the lead this time around. Dont know if Rosie got hurt but pretty sure Runblad wont be back in the lineup. I also think they need to not worry so much about shot totals. Its always good to get the puck to the net, but hitting Elliots glove is also building his confidence and maybe Keith can move the puck in stead of hitting Elliot with a shot when nobody is around the net. I mean, sure, when the team could use a change and an offensive zone draw, its fine, but Elliot is leaving a ton of juicy rebounds, nobody is around to get them.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice come-from-behind dominance in game 6. Hope that confidence carries over to game 7.
Hey @Barilko your boy Weise came through for us.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was a great comeback! Going down 3-1 and rattling off 5 more goals and shutting them out after the first was insane.
Weise did come through, TVR didn't look like an asshat as much as he did the other night, and the stars came to play too. Great game.
Was glad to see that Shaw played really well and didn't go stupid trying to retaliate with penalties or fights. AND got a sweet feed from Kane and put it in the back of the net- That was GREAT!

Monday is going to be another nail biter. GO HAWKS!

Barilko

Probably at hockey or some dam concert you tell me
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nice come-from-behind dominance in game 6. Hope that confidence carries over to game 7.
Hey @Barilko your boy Weise came through for us.
Yes sir when given a chance he scores big playoff goals

Good luck Hawk Fans and thanks for the game 7

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That was just incredible. Holy shit after they fell behind 2 and crow took that shot to the rib, fucking brouwer twisted him when he hit his glove. I love the response Panik and Ladd are giving the hitters. They are really changing this series. Toews pulled Panik away from a pile late in the third to keep him out of trouble.

Biggest thing that came out of this game was Terasenko losing it with Hitchcock. The double shifting Kane with Toews and then with Panarin is just too much, even though I wish Panarin was on the PP unit with kane. Expecting the blues to go full goon, but 5 past elliotis gonna have him second guessing. Lets see if Hitchcock can fix this mess.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
it was a great series of bounces. Bounce off TVR's leg for game 1 goal, off a D man for Shaws game tying goal, bounce off the pipe with Gustaffson watching Brouwer on his kneees batting the puck back in the net. Bounces really dictated this series, I guess thats as evenly matched as you can get. With the Hawks putting up that 6 spot saturday, the series ended being decided by one goal.

Dont really like the blues, its more than the rivalry and our Chicago Wolves being their farm club, so I really think this was their stanley cup final and its going to be tough to keep it up. As far as these playoffs, its been exciting, but this central division is so tough. Gotta find a way to stay on top and get home ice again. Q tried to push buttons, but like Pat Foley said, with 4 some minutes left, a line of Weisz, Anisimov and Shaw were on the ice? Then at the end he pulled back Hossa to put Shaw on?

Bowmans tweaking and tweaking the roster, getting and giving up players that did no good here like Daley and Garbutt, who are both still playing, Teuvo needs to just get a center spot and leave him play. Also wondered why Ladd did not take any center shifts when they were bouncing Krueger around. Final game our Hawk D men could not get past the st louis forecheck, plenty of turnovers by keith and seabs since they were on the ice most of the third, Toews held without a goal, Kane not scoring enough.

Sure hope Pokka or some of these new d men they just signed make a run for solidifying our bottom line and one of them can carry a puck into the zone when need be. Great year again, cant win them all, but hurts a little extra being beat by the blues.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Was a little disappointed in game 7.

I noticed that a few of the Hawks on the ice for the Blues' first goal: Toews, Seabrook, Keith and Kane. (Mind you- the Captain and both Alternates.) The Blues were skating around like the Hawks were standing still. They couldn't clear the puck, and the next thing you know, the puck is in the net.

Checked the box score: Kane was a -3 so he was on the ice for all 3 Blues goals. He had a decent series. It was good to see him get a little physical.

Series MVP: Shaw for sure and honorable mention for Panik.

Silver Lining: TVR really grew as a defensive player in this series. Despite having a couple of goals go off of his stick in game 4, he became a solid defenseman in Q's system. And Panik showed good speed and some grit.

Did I Really See That? At one point in the 3rd I thought I saw Panarin decisively avoid going along the boards to get a puck. Perhaps all of the hits by the Blues made him gun shy?

It was a great series. Hawks had their chances. But the Blues were the better team this year.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I thought Panarin got more physical. I think it was a little of Kane telling him you dont have to take the hit when you are fast enough to skate around it.

TVR really did shine this series, and you forgot about the goal that won game 1 was a redirect off his stick that crow did not follow the puck with the paddle of his stick on the ice like a goalie should.

Panik and Ladd were the physical forwards, just that stupid late penalty for the hit in the back was what cost the late pp in game 7, Shaws fight that bought him a suspension took points away from both. I guess its a good thing that losers do not get MVP's.

Kane got physical and did play some defense, but like you said, our "top D line" was out there too and both keith and seabrook had trouble skating past the forecheck, but with st louis just needing to be around for that stupid drop back entry, at least that stopped.

I guess eventually it tires with this team that no matter what Q does usually works, but leaving Hoss off that final possession, the crazy line blender when it was time to get back to people that were used to eachother and a pretty rough year for the GM, giving away Danault who we really could have used in the series on that third line center, blowing it with Garbutt for Erhoff that did not play in the series, not to mention no Daley from the Sharp deal, maybe its time they trust the kids that other teams covet a little more.

I was also surprised we never got to see Pokka, I really thought it was a control deal with his contract.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I should have given Ladd his due. He did have a great series. Good call AI.
giving away Danault who we really could have used in the series on that third line center
On the fence about that to be honest. Danault had promise, but Weise and Fleishmann got used down the stretch. And I was impressed with the usage that we got from Weise in round 1. I'm not sure Q would have used Danault more than he did Weise.

I don't know about a rough year for the GM? We lose Sharp, Saad, Danault and Oduya. We had salary cap issues. We were going to lose these guys either way...

Panarin filled in better than anticipated. We already talked about how TVR took that next step to be the 4th defenseman. Anisimov did just as well as Saad. Maybe not as quick as Saad, but I'm satisfied with the production.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yes, Weise got used and scored a goal in the playoffs, but now they are wondering how they are going to get Panarin paid and keep Andrew Shaw, who Q calls irreplaceable. Didnt Danault fit that Shaw mold, being a center that is not afraid to mix it up to mix it up as a forward? Rasmussen is the one they claim is only a center. The Fleishmann Weise rental cost us a controlled player that filled a role.

Bowman loved Anisimov, had been trying to get him for years, but the deal was supposed to be mainly for Marco Dano, who had more saad game than anisimov. Dano is only 21. I dont know where Danault falls into the salary cap issues, he was one of the next wave of 832,000 23 year olds that are supposed to fill the balance of the 12-14 players to make up the final 15 million of the cap. Do you think he was due a raise to 2 million for one decent season?

I know, hindsight is 20/20, but its always been my beef in giving away the yutes to get a veteran without any vision for the future, just to go chasing again. Previous years it has been guys like Pirri who never worked out, but eventually they need to realize that the only way to keep this going is by replacing the role players with system role players and Q needs to allow them to work and learn from mistakes as well. Sharps departure did not hurt us, Steven Johns did in the end. It wasnt the star it was the prospect. I mean for some reason he dressed Runblad for the final three games... instead of going with Rosie or back to Svedberg and his 8 foot long stick.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but its always been my beef in giving away the yutes to get a veteran without any vision for the future, just to go chasing again
First off - nice usage of "yutes." I like it.
Second, IMO it's a "slippery slope" to groom young prospects. Because if they do pan out and get good, the soon out-play their rookie contract and demand more money which then becomes a salary cap issue for the Hawks. It's almost like shooting yourself in the foot.

If the young guys get good, even marginally, I think Stan is doing a good job of moving them for inexpensive veteran talent. Some of the vets have been duds like Ehrhoff. But I still think its a nice trade-off.

Just look at some of the playoff teams still playing. Not a whole lot of young guys. Lots of cagey vets. :2cents:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
yeah but still, there is a salary cap issue and these kids are on less than a million dollar contracts and are the cheapest option if they get the shot. Are you saying they are afraid they will play good enough and expect more? That should be a bonus after you hold a guy like Saad at 842K until there is no choice.

As far as stan moving them, lets see, Daley and Garbutt were moved early, and lets not forget Daley was moved for Scuderi instead of letting a kid play. Fleishmann and Weise were under utlized. I think this year showed more of a pretty bad year by Bowmans on this team. They chased their "betterans" and lost badly.

Did you see this?

Report: Brent Seabrook In Bad Shape After Game 7

Yes, we see a whole lot of cagey vets, but we are seeing retaliation hits on the talent, something the hawks rarely do. Dont see Tereasanko being ridden to the boards or blown up much. Why was Toews invisible all series? when he gets to the net, its 20 cross checks in the back, the hawks just let them stand there so crow can see more puck.

Eco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,396.76
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Well, that was nothing short of just disappointing, but in hind sight, we weren't the better team. Blues are a better team, we just happen to be able to out coach them so it was close. Without Sharpie, Oduya, and Saad, this team just wasn't the same. TT wasn't as good this year, and while having Breadman was great, it doesn't make up for the leadership of Sharp and the our defense really showed just how thin we are.

I hope we can pick up another piece or two on the back line so that we finally address what's been our biggest issue.

Go 'Hawks