• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs - Round 1 - Blues vs Hawks

averagejoe

You fell victim to one of the classic blunders.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Kane & Toews are skating. Looks like they will play. Hopefully the Blues' slide continues into the post-season. Looks like they get Backes back, but Morrow and Roy may not suit up for them. Some old Norris division hockey on tap.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Doobster just played this game on NHL 14, Blues won 2-1, but in fairness my opponent claims to have been drunk. Ryan Miller turned out to be the difference maker in the game. But then again, it's just a video game so take it for what it's worth.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Chicago can win even with a full blues team. You have to play your game though dont let the Blues do what they like and they completely fall apart. Also if they get a few calls against them they become frustrated so let them try and draw some calls with their usual annoying routine and if you dont retaliate eventually they will be called for it.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think Chicago can win even with a full blues team. You have to play your game though dont let the Blues do what they like and they completely fall apart. Also if they get a few calls against them they become frustrated so let them try and draw some calls with their usual annoying routine and if you dont retaliate eventually they will be called for it.

I too will pick the Blackhawks over the Blues, in spite of my NHL 14 result. Blackhawks are defending Cup champs and are getting their superstars back, the Blues have never won a Cup in team history, nor have they gotten past the 2nd round since 2001. Most importantly, they're sinking like a stone in water and Ryan Miller is nowhere near what he used to be.

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Like I wrote in the other thread, I was really worried when the blues got Miller, then he went 8-0-1 his first 9 games, the hawks came in and made him look human. I bet elliot gets a start in this series when they come back to chicago tied or down two.

You just look at the wings on this team and the way morin is playing, we seriously have a top 9 that might be better than anyone in the league.

Run down the right side with Hossa, Kane and Morin, Sharp, Saad and Bickell on the left, hopefully leave smith on that third line center spot and have Toews, Shaw and Smith we have all we need to win. Problem though, Versteeg will get in the way and keep one of these wings in the loft. I just hope Versteeg chokes bad enough that they let Mo play in game 3.

gmalis1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious lines at practice today:

Versteeg-Toews-Saad
Sharp-Handzus-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-Kane
Bollig-Kruger-Smith

Interesting. I don't agree with it at all and it's a real head scratcher. But we'll see how that shakes out.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Curious lines at practice today:

Versteeg-Toews-Saad
Sharp-Handzus-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-Kane
Bollig-Kruger-Smith

Interesting. I don't agree with it at all and it's a real head scratcher. But we'll see how that shakes out.

I sure hope its misdirection.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its got to be misdirection right? Versteeg has done nothing on the top line, I dont think he has a goal or assist, maybe 4 shots on goal over the past 8 games or so.

Most productive line all year was Sharp Toews Hossa. I think the only line that rivaled that was seriously Bickell, Smith and Morin. Kane has not had a solid partner all year.

Best playoff line last year was Bickell, Toews and Kane.

Sure hope the juggling starts in the first period.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
"All-Everything Chicago captain Jonathan Toews’ health remains a bit of a mystery. Nursing an “upper body” injury, Toews looks fine skating, although rumors persist he will need off-season shoulder surgery. If Toews plays, it could be in a harness—not unheard of, Patrick Sharp did it last year—but his effectiveness could be limited."

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Versteeg-Toews-Saad
Sharp-Handzus-Hossa
Bickell-Shaw-Kane
Bollig-Kruger-Smith

On Tuesday night, CBS 2 news in Chicago reported that Kane was put on the Shaw-Bickell line for "protection." (Kane was hurt in the last Blues game on March 19.) Whether that line sticks or not is anyone's guess. I could see all of these line combos achieving a purpose. But I'm not overly thrilled with the first line combo. Versteeg has made some poor passes. And Saad just hasn't been the same (or consistent) since he was a healthy scratch. I'd swap Saad with Shaw.

Last edited by a moderator:

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
On Tuesday night, CBS 2 news in Chicago reported that Kane was put on the Shaw-Bickell line for "protection." (Kane was hurt in the last Blues game on March 19.) Whether that line sticks or not is anyone's guess. I could see all of these line combos achieving a purpose. But I'm not overly thrilled with the first line combo. Versteeg has made some poor passes. And Saad just hasn't been the same (or consistent) since he was a healthy scratch. I'd swap Saad with Shaw.

swapping saad with shaw would need to move Ben Smith up to center that line, which ends up meaning that one of those "top 9" would need to play on the fourth line. I mean Zeus can center the 4th line ok, but he slows down any line he is on and part of their effectiveness is alot of speed on the forecheck.

I'm just excited that Krueger wont be on our power play anymore, hopefully not versteeg either.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
painful game to watch. Glad I got home to watch the first period, it was the best hockey all night. That Kane breakaway and Miller never even moving, then they let him off the hook. shots to the bread basket, only one spectacular save all night. Crow with all kinds of great saves, lets a softie in with 1:45 left.
First period, I thought first team to 10 would win.

Hope they swallow some pride and get a couple fresh guys in there. I would love to see Smith move up to center that kane line let shaw play with sharp and hossa, but am not against just getting Toews Sharp and Hoss back together. I think Rosie sat after he let that first goal in, maybe Brooks will be in tomorrow.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Tough loss for the Hawks, but it serves as a wake up call: don't underestimate the Blues regardless of their injuries.

averagejoe

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,500.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
th

I missed regulation. Heard Crawford let in a soft game-tying goal. In OT the Hawks looked good. Real good. Too bad they couldn't finish. Tough loss. Coach Q was obviously upset about a non-call. That could be a fine.

anotheridiot

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How a puck cleared from their blue line is not called icing is just plain confusing. The backhander that got thru was a great shot, but he really should have had it. It wasnt as bad as miller on kanes breakaway, just frozen in the headlights, but he was already down and it got thru with 1:45 left