• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Rumor Thread

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last edited by a moderator:

Podunkparte

12 > 49
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,184.88
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The White Sox are a team that keeps coming to mind for me when I think about getting a bat. Dunn would probably mean Hart's not coming back anytime soon though. I could see Viciedo as a cheaper option too for LF. He would seem to provide more power than Ackley and give us another right handed hitter in the lineup.

PolarVortex

Better/Best
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Wasn't sure if we started one yet so here goes. Good place to put all the rumors that will be coming up over the next month or so.

1h Mariners would be in playoffs if postseason started today. They're expected to talk with White Sox if Dunn, Ramirez, Viciedo available.

Also posted one about Smardajizajklkt or whatever his name is.

Hammels was another just to catch up.

I'd take the 2004-2009 version of Adam Dunn. Don't want no part of the current version.

Samardjiza is going to cost too much, the competition is going to be intense and he's already falling back to career norms. Other than a 200 strikeout season, he hasn't done much. Most power pitchers are over-rated, imo.

Alexei Rameriz is an interesting idea, but with Brad Miller starting to come around, I'm not sure he is a fit unless they brought him in to play multiple positions and DH. Alexei has also cooled off from his blazing starts and Miller has a far better slash line for the month of June than Alexei has.

Last edited by a moderator:

gowazzu02

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'd take the 2004-2009 version of Adam Dunn. Don't want no part of the current version.

Samardjiza is going to cost too much, the competition is going to be intense and he's already falling back to career norms. Other than a 200 strikeout season, he hasn't done much. Most power pitchers are over-rated, imo.

Alexei Rameriz is an interesting idea, but with Brad Miller starting to come around, I'm not sure he is a fit unless they brought him in to play multiple positions and DH. Alexei has also cooled off from his blazing starts and Miller has a far better slash line for the month of June than Alexei has.

Exactly, the mariners are already filled with guys who struggle to hit .200. no thanks dunn

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with all on Dunn. I actually don't want anyone from White Sox with the exception of maybe Ramirez but he cost too much and Miller is hitting now like mentioned above.

I still think the Phils is the team to deal with. I like D. Brown and Mayberry Jr. as cheap options or maybe Byrd.

Zobrist at the right price is also intriguing.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Last-place Diamondbacks are preparing for a fire sale | HardballTalk

A couple of guys from the Dbacks are intriguing to me. Pitching wise I kinda like Brandon McCarthy. His numbers aren't great but I think Safeco would help him out quite a bit. His HR to fly ball ratio is at about 21% which would obviously improve in Safeco. I don't think he would cost a lot either.

I also have always been a Trumbo fan. Having a down year compared to his Angel days. He is 28 and not sure how much it would take.

Seems like based on that article, everyone outside of Paul Goldy could be on the block.

unlvmariners

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Agreed with all on Dunn. I actually don't want anyone from White Sox with the exception of maybe Ramirez but he cost too much and Miller is hitting now like mentioned above.

I still think the Phils is the team to deal with. I like D. Brown and Mayberry Jr. as cheap options or maybe Byrd.

Zobrist at the right price is also intriguing.

I've said this before but I agree with you on Domonic Brown cheap option which could be an absolute steal if you get a performance close to what he had last season. He isnt a free agent for a few more years either.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've said this before but I agree with you on Domonic Brown cheap option which could be an absolute steal if you get a performance close to what he had last season. He isnt a free agent for a few more years either.

I read yesterday where they are giving him a few days off for a mental break. Sounds to me he could be had right now. I truly believe he can't be any worse than Ackley and he has a higher ceiling. It makes too much sense to happen so...

cezero

Goldmember
Hoopla Cash
$ 835.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i'm frightened

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You should be. We all should be.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is not a rumor but my prediction, we trade for Uggla for the needed bat and move him to DH/1B. Why, because that is the Mariner way.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jack Z was on KJR and the Fan today and essentially said he would be surprised if a move wasn't made. Also when asked about payroll flexibility he said there is room to add payroll but would not elaborate more then that. Also said he has gotten a ton of calls on Walker but has no intentions of trading him which isnt a surprise.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have mixed feelings on trading him. I wouldn't do it unless it was for an established star that we would have for at least 3 years, and then I would still have to really be convinced. Then I think, how many prospect pitchers have we really developed into a legit major leaguer?

Tough call, but it would have been a huge YES in the off season if it meant getting Stanton.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Taijuan Walker a lot and he has a very bright future ahead of him, but I would trade him in a package for Giancarlo Stanton in a heartbeat. Stanton is probably one of the few players I would trade Walker for though.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I like Taijuan Walker a lot and he has a very bright future ahead of him, but I would trade him in a package for Giancarlo Stanton in a heartbeat. Stanton is probably one of the few players I would trade Walker for though.

If Stanton were on the block I think Walker and every other prospect and big leaguer would be fair game. The big 3 and Miller or something for him and fans shouldn't even think twice. The Tigers sold the farm for Cabrera and look where it got them.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading for Stanton is long gone option. If there were ever a chance, it would have been last off season. That is when I said give them everybody and their brothers for them because quantity never equals quality. I used the Tigers trade of Cabrera as an example. They gave away several players (prospects) for him and it was a steal for Tigers. That ship has sailed and I don't see another opportunity out there for a legit MLB bat of star quality.

Were we lucky or unlucky that Upton refused the trade and us giving up Walker/Franklin/Furbush/Pryor? 3 of those guys have been average to below average in the majors and Walker is still a huge unknown.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Trading for Stanton is long gone option. If there were ever a chance, it would have been last off season. That is when I said give them everybody and their brothers for them because quantity never equals quality. I used the Tigers trade of Cabrera as an example. They gave away several players (prospects) for him and it was a steal for Tigers. That ship has sailed and I don't see another opportunity out there for a legit MLB bat of star quality.

Were we lucky or unlucky that Upton refused the trade and us giving up Walker/Franklin/Furbush/Pryor? 3 of those guys have been average to below average in the majors and Walker is still a huge unknown.

I'll likely be in the minority by saying lucky. I believe if the Mariners wanted to move Walker they could use him as a centerpiece in a package to net a better player than Justin Upton. If the Mariners were offered that deal by the Braves today, I'd still say no mostly because I see Upton as an above average bat with a very below average glove. The biggest thing Upton offers is his youth.

I could be overvaluing Walker though. Replace Walker with Paxton and I say yes. I think Paxton has a bright future ahead of him, but Walker appears to me as if he is the best Mariners prospect since Felix Hernandez.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best prospect, yes. Makes for an MLB Ace? Odds are against him even though he has the talent.

As far as him getting back a player better than Upton, I don't think so. It took him and 3 others just to get Upton and he hasn't done anything since that attempted trade that has increased his value. His injury history may have decreased it in fact.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Best prospect, yes. Makes for an MLB Ace? Odds are against him even though he has the talent.

As far as him getting back a player better than Upton, I don't think so. It took him and 3 others just to get Upton and he hasn't done anything since that attempted trade that has increased his value. His injury history may have decreased it in fact.

I wouldn't say odds are against Walker becoming an ace, but the Marlins are the type of team that loves dealing guys before they are do to make any money. So if the Mariners offered Walker, Paxton and another guy like say Saunders I think that is something they might listen to.

And even with their set backs I'm sure every conversation that Jack will have with any organization will start off with is Walker, Paxton or Zunino available in this deal.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Marlins wouldn't trade Stanton period right now and those 3 mentioned wouldn't get it done.

I am sure the conversation does start with those 3, but we are talking for rental players and not team builders.

I do say odds are against Walker becoming an Ace because odds are low on every prospect becoming one. Of the thousands of pitching prospects out there, how many become Aces? Very few. Now consider his shoulder issues and the odds go down even more. He has only thrown 2 season of 100+ innings and a high of 141. I am routing for him, but just saying odds are low because it is the nature of the game that keeps them low.