• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Mariners trade deadline/rumors thread

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree regarding the outfield.

Right now we have Mitch Haniger, Kyle Lewis, Jarrod Kelenic, Julio Rodriguez, Jake Fraley and Taylor Trammel all of which are either currently/former highly rated prospects or have justified playing time and I really do think Dipoto should try to utilize the depth we have in the outfield to improve other positions.
This is tough because you peel it back from a pessimistic view and you wonder what do we actually have.

Haniger is only under control through next year and looks like we may look to trade him this offseason.

Lewis, has shown he can produce when healthy but he just hasnt been healthy enough. He doesnt even have a full season worth of ABs yet.

Kelenic and Jrod, we think can be franchise corner stones but they still have to prove it.

Fraley and Trammel, seem like 4th OFs at best. Fraley has been real bad since he got covid.

I actually think adding an OF short term would make sense this offseason unless Jrod is ready to go

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This is tough because you peel it back from a pessimistic view and you wonder what do we actually have.

Haniger is only under control through next year and looks like we may look to trade him this offseason.

Lewis, has shown he can produce when healthy but he just hasnt been healthy enough. He doesnt even have a full season worth of ABs yet.

Kelenic and Jrod, we think can be franchise corner stones but they still have to prove it.

Fraley and Trammel, seem like 4th OFs at best. Fraley has been real bad since he got covid.

I actually think adding an OF short term would make sense this offseason unless Jrod is ready to go
Thing with Haniger, is it was a royal screwup if they trade him this off-season rather than at this past deadline. It was a massive sellers market, unless he goes Barry Bonds in September I don’t see how at all his value would’ve been higher.

The prove it part is true with Kelenic and JRod, but assuming Jerry gets an extension is he has to trot those guys out for his jobs/ego sake. I don’t see how he can reasonably ask ownership to break the bank on any OFer when he has a reigning ROTY coming back from an injury and 2 top 5 prospects plus Fraley (who I guarantee he has had to go to bat for with Covid), Trammell, DTM etc . And to break it down further with him not having the ability to spend the money, let’s just go down the rabbit hole of him asking for a bunch of cash for an OF that can rotate in and out of DH. The first question is going to be what about France, and the reply is going to be well the guy I had you sign a big fat check to isn’t ready to be in the major leagues.

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Thing with Haniger, is it was a royal screwup if they trade him this off-season rather than at this past deadline. It was a massive sellers market, unless he goes Barry Bonds in September I don’t see how at all his value would’ve been higher.

The prove it part is true with Kelenic and JRod, but assuming Jerry gets an extension is he has to trot those guys out for his jobs/ego sake. I don’t see how he can reasonably ask ownership to break the bank on any OFer when he has a reigning ROTY coming back from an injury and 2 top 5 prospects plus Fraley (who I guarantee he has had to go to bat for with Covid), Trammell, DTM etc . And to break it down further with him not having the ability to spend the money, let’s just go down the rabbit hole of him asking for a bunch of cash for an OF that can rotate in and out of DH. The first question is going to be what about France, and the reply is going to be well the guy I had you sign a big fat check to isn’t ready to be in the major leagues.
Yea when I say add an OF I am thinking more along the lines of an Aoki type add or someone that can fill in for what Fraley is doing. That would allow Haniger/Lewis to rotate at DH.

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I want him especially at the price he may get:

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not that I want him especially at the price he may get:

me either but him not being houston will be nice unless of course he goes to the angels or something

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

well this is the way..i look at haniger....there is no trading him....he is a cornerstone of,,the rebuild...
he lives..in santa cruz...idk..if you guys ever been ...there..but...its..nice..so..playing for a team close to home would be good..

SF.......seems like they rebuilt an would like to go to the series..this year..Kevin Gausman 34 IL-10..a free agent next year...seattle..should..try to make its ace...so..re-sign haniger..seager,,kikuchi..and take your best try...at Gausman.....

why re-sign haniger...seattle has no one in the minors..who is a haniger...except..maybe..Spencer Packard 44...but he is more like..Spencer Packard 44...lololol..than haniger........anyway...julio rod..is no haniger..he has LF stats..hits more for ave...and maybe 15 HRs..a,,year

haniger..2nd..in HRs..for outfield..in the league.........are you..crazy...the mariners need to re-sign him...muster..it up..and pay the man....
PLAYER
TEAM
G

AB

R

H

2B

3B

HR

RBI

BB

SO

SB

CS

AVG

OBP

SLG

OPS

JoeyGallo
LF
NYY119394738111129639417060.206.364.459.823
MitchHaniger
RF
SEA1224798612119229733912710.253.314.482.796

oakland........will be falling apart...how soon..idk
dodgers ...sure..dodgers would..love to pay him.........
angels..farther away..from playoffs than seattle

seattle......he is already...with a developing team
sandiego...sandiego..is already having trouble paying
hosmer...they would rather..do a bit of ..tampa bay..for a while

while seattle can easly..pay..the guys it needs,,,the list i put above there

no one wants to pay...cal taxes...

ulmax

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but if ya like a spot in the puget sound...that is santa cruzish..then camano island..or parts of whidbey island..can be like that area..when its not raining.......lol
and the beaches are not..as good..and..... can be a...bit rocky...lolol

SeattleCoug

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But Castellanos is a guy I would like to have.
great fit, but I think it only makes sense if they deal Haniger. Assuming we are only able to sign one bat because Mariners, I'd prefer it to be for the middle INF as well

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus a guy I think no one is taking about in Marmo. Sure it is AAA but his offense right now is better than anyone who has come through Tacoma (excluding the couple of weeks Seager came through) in decades. Bauer does not deserve a spot on the roster. Torrens at least came to Tacoma and earned his way back, which Marmo has earned in spades.
I completely forgot about him. My friend sent me his AAA stats and he is absolutely killing it.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am not really a fan of Fraley I think he really made a name for himself tearing it in double A and from that there he really hasnt done much and I think the same will be for Trammell who is a strikeout machine neither one of those guys seem to not be better than a 4th option in the OF.
I fell in love with Fraley due to his performance in the minor leagues, and I haven't written him off yet because he really sees the strikezone well, has plus power, plus defense and plus speed. I like him a lot more than Trammell who I'm still baffled by the fact that he is as highly rated a prospect as he is. The concerning thing about Fraley's ability to see the strikezone is that he has utilized it to get on base a lot, but his batting average is abysmal.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm a bit more optimistic on Fraley but you bring up a good point that if we want to win in 2022, it could be a decent idea to add to the outfield as an insurance policy incase Julio Rodriguez isn't able to contribute yet, Kelenic continuing to struggle and Lewis having chronic knee issues.

Perhaps I'm adding to the pessimism here, but I do really wonder how much going forward we should rely on expecting Lewis in the outfield. I'm not a doctor or saying we should write him off, but I have to wonder about the long-term outlook of a 26 year old who has torn both his meniscus and ACL in the last 5 years.

wazzu31

Never go full Husky
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm a bit more optimistic on Fraley but you bring up a good point that if we want to win in 2022, it could be a decent idea to add to the outfield as an insurance policy incase Julio Rodriguez isn't able to contribute yet, Kelenic continuing to struggle and Lewis having chronic knee issues.

Perhaps I'm adding to the pessimism here, but I do really wonder how much going forward we should rely on expecting Lewis in the outfield. I'm not a doctor or saying we should write him off, but I have to wonder about the long-term outlook of a 26 year old who has torn both his meniscus and ACL in the last 5 years.
That is the weird thing with Lewis. It isn’t like he is Paxton or anything but has catastrophic knee injuries which usually doesn’t happen in baseball. DHing seems like an option but playing on grass most of the year his knees should hold up.

seahawksfan234

Radical Moderate
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is the weird thing with Lewis. It isn’t like he is Paxton or anything but has catastrophic knee injuries which usually doesn’t happen in baseball. DHing seems like an option but playing on grass most of the year his knees should hold up.

"In the final stages of his rehabilitation, when the Mariners were scheduling his rehab assignments to get him back on the big-league field for the final weeks of the season, Lewis felt discomfort and soreness in the troublesome right knee that has now had three surgical procedures."

I've probably been one of the more optimistic posters, but I really do worry about Lewis. It would be hard to believe that his right knee won't be a lingering issue throughout his career.

seattlefan75

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry about lewis as well I think any hopes of him winning gold gloves and making diving catches down the line in his career may not be a thing. Probably will have more of a Jermaine Dye type where he will mostly play DH and some OF which is fine considering we do have plenty of OF in the farm that need AB's

NWinAZ

#SeaUsTreadWater
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I worry about lewis as well I think any hopes of him winning gold gloves and making diving catches down the line in his career may not be a thing. Probably will have more of a Jermaine Dye type where he will mostly play DH and some OF which is fine considering we do have plenty of OF in the farm that need AB's
Funny because Jermaine Dye was my comparison for him a couple years back. I meant it regarding his playing style but being more comparable to his injury/breakdown. I hope it works out for the kid.