• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014 Preseason Thread

SoShady

QB Factory
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would rather see Couts moved up. They want him thinking more about his offensive game this year. Trying to get him into the top power play as well. As for Roux could the season start any other way doh.

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put Laughton up there see what he can do. Keep the rest of your lines intact so players can gel. Schenn should stay on the wing if that's where he's playing...

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I put Laughton up there see what he can do. Keep the rest of your lines intact so players can gel. Schenn should stay on the wing if that's where he's playing...

True, if it's just preseason just put Laughton in Giroux's place & leave the rest of the line combos intact.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm thinking make Schenn - Laughton - Voracek the 2nd line until Giroux comes back. Make Read - Lacavalier - Simmonds the 1st line until then.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Flyers rooks took down the Devils rooks 4-2 in Newark today. Oddly announced and sparsely attended (technically closed to media/public).

Goals
Leier (2) - PPG and EN
Gostisbehere - blast from the point
Straka - top shelf, short side

Sanheim, Marshall, Goumas, Hagg, with the Flyers assists

The lines and pairings I can find:

Fazleev.Noebels.Straka
Marshal.Fyten.Mathers

Hagg.Pettersson
Gostisbehere.Sanheim
Lamarche.Flemming

Oullette and Knapp split the goalie minutes

PP Unit:
Leier, Aube-Kubel, Goumas, Ghost, Sanheim

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Bob Rotruck is a good guy to follow for Phantoms info. I believe he's the PxP guy for them. Most of that info came from him.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sound slide the flyers were awful tonight.

Umberger. Lecavalier. Voracek
Read. Couts. Simmonds
Leiter, Jones, stortini, cousins played too, can't remember the lines or the last two.

Shultz. Grossmann
Mdz. Schenn
Peterson. Hagg

Zepp

That's what I can remember from reading twitter a second ago. No TV coverage as far as I know. Got out shot like a million to ten. Took a million penalties. Apparently Zepp was very strong.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sound slide the flyers were awful tonight.

Umberger. Lecavalier. Voracek
Read. Couts. Simmonds
Leiter, Jones, stortini, cousins played too, can't remember the lines or the last two.

Shultz. Grossmann
Mdz. Schenn
Peterson. Hagg

Zepp

That's what I can remember from reading twitter a second ago. No TV coverage as far as I know. Got out shot like a million to ten. Took a million penalties. Apparently Zepp was very strong.

not quite right on the lineups.. but see HockeyBuzz.com - Bill Meltzer - Flyers Preseason Game Day: 9/29/14 @ NYR, Devils-Flyers Wrap and More for more!

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would not hate a 4th line of leier.laughton.jones. I think they are good, up tempo players, pretty reliable defensively, and tenacious on the forecheck. They could wear down other teams. Plus it gives you 3 more guys that could PK. Getting G off the PK should be a primary focus IMO. Thought I guess there probably isn't room for 3. (1 open spot + Rinaldo is all that's really open)

Schenn.G.Voracek
Read.Couts.Simmonds
Umberger.Lecavalier.Akeson
Leier.Laughton.Raffl

Jones.Rinaldo

I also think the defense should be:

Streit.Macdonald
Coburn.Grossmann
MDZ.Schenn

Last edited by a moderator:

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i would not hate a 4th line of leier.laughton.jones. I think they are good, up tempo players, pretty reliable defensively, and tenacious on the forecheck. They could wear down other teams. Plus it gives you 3 more guys that could PK. Getting G off the PK should be a primary focus IMO. Thought I guess there probably isn't room for 3. (1 open spot + Rinaldo is all that's really open)

Schenn.G.Voracek
Read.Couts.Simmonds
Umberger.Lecavalier.Akeson
Leier.Laughton.Raffl

Jones.Rinaldo

I also think the defense should be:

Streit.Macdonald
Coburn.Grossmann
MDZ.Schenn

I still expect them to send laughton and leier down. but I really like what they've shown as a pairing this preseason.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Stortini just get off the ice and never wear a Flyer uni again!

flyersfan4706

Kimmo Forever
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Leier has been great and I'm not sure it would kill him to play in the NHL. He seems like pretty safe prospect that may not be getting a whole lot better than a checker. I'd welcome him over Rinaldo.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can Stortini just get off the ice and never wear a Flyer uni again!

He won't. He's horrendous and everyone knows it.

Leier has been great and I'm not sure it would kill him to play in the NHL. He seems like pretty safe prospect that may not be getting a whole lot better than a checker. I'd welcome him over Rinaldo.

agreed. and I don't dislike Rinaldo. I think he serves a purpose and sets a pretty good example in terms of work rate. There probably isn't a guy on the roster that gives more on a shift in and shift out basis. Leier is just a better hockey player than him.

and I don't think it would stunt leier's growth because if you put him (and Laughton for that matter) on a line with Raffl, they're a viable line that could play 12-15 minutes/night instead of the typical flyers fourth line that plays 8-10 minutes.

Cobiemonster

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zac Rinaldo's a hard worker and has a lot of energy, but he's a terrible offensively player and the Flyers desperately need to take pressure off of the top 2-3 lines - the fourth line was non-existant offensively last season and that hurt them a lot - when the fourth line was on the ice it was a guarantee that they wouldn't score

I think having guys like Taylor Leier and Scott Laughton on the fourth line would really help because that'd give an element of surprise towards the opposing team, opposing teams know that those guys are more talented and it would give them some secret weapons on their bottom lines

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Philly.com:

Roster battle. If the Flyers carry only 13 forwards, it appears that Blair Jones, Bellemare and Akeson are battling for the final two spots. Scott Laughton, Chris VandeVelde and Zack Stortini will probably be sent to the Phantoms.
If the Flyers decide to start the season with 14 forwards and 23 players, Jones, Bellemare and Akeson all figure to make the team.

Read more at Flyers' Giroux to face Rangers tonight

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Zac Rinaldo's a hard worker and has a lot of energy, but he's a terrible offensively player and the Flyers desperately need to take pressure off of the top 2-3 lines - the fourth line was non-existant offensively last season and that hurt them a lot - when the fourth line was on the ice it was a guarantee that they wouldn't score

I think having guys like Taylor Leier and Scott Laughton on the fourth line would really help because that'd give an element of surprise towards the opposing team, opposing teams know that those guys are more talented and it would give them some secret weapons on their bottom lines

The line that needs to take the pressure off is Coots line. Offensively he has regressed since year one and needs to pick up his offensive game this season. I don't care if he is the best defensive player in the league he needs to put up more offensive stats.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The line that needs to take the pressure off is Coots line. Offensively he has regressed since year one and needs to pick up his offensive game this season. I don't care if he is the best defensive player in the league he needs to put up more offensive stats.

Coots scores last night I like it!!

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

* Over the course of training camp and the preseason, Akeson may have slipped from the leading candidate for the right wing spot on Vincent Lecavalier's line to the odd man out in a three-way roster battle with Jones and Bellemare. Berube has frequently praised Jones and Bellemare during the preseason for their versatility, while he has measured his words carefully when asked about Akeson's performances. One thing that works in Akeson's favor is that he is subject to waivers if the Flyers want to send him to the Phantoms.

* Last night, skating on the fourth line at five-on-five and the second power play unit, Akeson played a strong overall game. Although he scored a goal in New York on Monday, last night's effort
was superior. Akeson played a strong all-around game with numerous solid shifts among the 16 he skated over 12:44 of ice time. He probably needed that sort of step-up effort to stay in the running heading into the last preseason game.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From Bill Meltzer:

* Over the course of training camp and the preseason, Akeson may have slipped from the leading candidate for the right wing spot on Vincent Lecavalier's line to the odd man out in a three-way roster battle with Jones and Bellemare. Berube has frequently praised Jones and Bellemare during the preseason for their versatility, while he has measured his words carefully when asked about Akeson's performances. One thing that works in Akeson's favor is that he is subject to waivers if the Flyers want to send him to the Phantoms.

* Last night, skating on the fourth line at five-on-five and the second power play unit, Akeson played a strong overall game. Although he scored a goal in New York on Monday, last night's effort
was superior. Akeson played a strong all-around game with numerous solid shifts among the 16 he skated over 12:44 of ice time. He probably needed that sort of step-up effort to stay in the running heading into the last preseason game.

Meltzer is right on the money here a solid game last night and looked like a fourth liner with some offensive skill.

JBM73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting stat of the day:

Blair Jones had 55 points in 56 games in the AHL in 2010-11.