• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014: Chase Utley

Omar 382

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've seen all three outfielders seemingly misjudge fly balls occasionally; these guys are still growing in their positions. Most of their misjudgements are corrected but some aren't, resulting in a damaging inning. But still point out all the misjudged fly balls by the OF next year since you are so qualified.

Dude, seriously I'm not trying to be a dick. You said that Revere seemingly misjudges very few balls, and this just isn't true. Ruf and Brown don't misjudge very many fly balls, but they have separate problems that make them even worse outfielders. I'd be willing to keep a tally next year if you doubt me.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude, seriously I'm not trying to be a dick. You said that Revere seemingly misjudges very few balls, and this just isn't true. Ruf and Brown don't misjudge very many fly balls, but they have separate problems that make them even worse outfielders. I'd be willing to keep a tally next year if you doubt me.

Whatever. It would interesting. Of course, you'll have to define what misjudging a ball means. Many balls are initially misjudged but the outfielder quickly recovers and makes a play. Some balls are misjudged and the player never recovers. Many times in such cases the player is not even given an error when he was at fault. Talent and experience obviously matter. I think outfield play is best when there's stability in the outfield positions. Hopefully that can happen under Sandberg.

WestCoastPhan

Northern California formerly from Bucks County
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Great. Put the full report here. I'll be so anxious to see it. While you're at it, might as well report on Ruf's and Brown's OF blunders, then we'll have a complete picture.

jvett, you're wrong. I've seen revere misjudge many balls that he actually caught! as far as I know there is no stat for this. At least I have not seen MBTHAC. revere is not a good defensive outfielder.

jvett77

Hoopla Cash
$ 836.47
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
jvett, you're wrong. I've seen revere misjudge many balls that he actually caught! as far as I know there is no stat for this. At least I have not seen MBTHAC. revere is not a good defensive outfielder.

It's a subjective thing. Most players frequently initially "misjudge" balls into the outfield where the velocity is very high, as in a line drive or an unusually high fly ball, and the player may have difficulty in quickly assessing its height and track, and making the catch. But that's what they're paid to do, and success depends on the usual factors, quickness, experience, etc. I've seen all Phillies outfielders struggle some with different types of outfield flies and drives. As long as they improve, who cares. I just don't see Revere screwing up so bad in the OF that it's detrimental to the Phillies. I'm not on the Revere must go bandwagon despite his arm because he's likely one of the best lead off guys around who does a more than adequate job in CF. You're looking at a guy who will get 200 hits in 2014 and hit over .300.