• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2014-15 Season

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Johnson leaves the lineup most likely

McConnell
S. Johnson
RHJ
Ashley
Zeus

FORKWDEVIL

shut up and make me a sandwich
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What about Carlino? I know he's transferring, but is he considering ASU or something?

I actually went to the same High School as both Nick Johnson and Matt Carlino (along with Nick's brother, Chris who was a beast in HS) at Highland High way back when. Matt has a nice touch from outside, he can get sloppy with the ball at times, but he is pretty solid. He put up good numbers for BYU, but the dude has already transferred like 3 or 4 times... pretty crazy. IF ASU can land him that would help them not suck as much.

yes but the bully at fucla forced him to transfer out or he would have been a bruin for life.
He is scrappy. I think he is coming. Remember I was a Toro!!!!! I played against Matts dad Mark at Saguaro in the state finals. Mark was a beast dunker.

BearDownUA

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJ McConnell / PJC
Stanley Johnson / Pitts / Allen / York
RHJ
Bash / Victor
Zues / Rustic

Would be ecstatic with this lineup. Obviously we won't have the same defensive prowess after losing a freak like Gordon, but we should be better next year provided we don't lose RHJ

Anyone else feel like York is going to transfer? We have a big log jam at the 2

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
TJ McConnell / PJC
Stanley Johnson / Pitts / Allen / York
RHJ
Bash / Victor
Zues / Rustic

Would be ecstatic with this lineup. Obviously we won't have the same defensive prowess after losing a freak like Gordon, but we should be better next year provided we don't lose RHJ

Anyone else feel like York is going to transfer? We have a big log jam at the 2

There is always a chance than any player can transfer... due to lack of playing time, or for other personal reasons, but IMO the chances of York leaving now are slim-to-none. If he was going to leave it would have been after his freshman year. First of all, he will be a Junior, with 2 years experience in Sean Miller's offense, so there is no way he will be 4th on the depth chart for the 2. Allen has skills and can fill the stat sheet, but the fact remains that only players who commit to playing lock-down defense will be favored in Sean Miller's rotation... which is why York started 10+ games after Ashley went down, Miller trusts his D. Allen is still an unknown on that side of the ball, since he has not faced any high-D1 level offensive talent while playing in Junior College.

Second of all, there is no future for York as a shooting guard, so it is much more likely that if Bunnies declares for the draft that York takes over the backup PG role that NJ and Mayes split. Much more likely for that to happen than for PJC to step in from day 1 and get 15+ minutes a game. York can handle the ball and played PG a bit in HS, and if he has any hope of making it to the next level, those are the skills he will need to work on more than anything.

Also, Stanley Johnson and Elliot Pitts are both going to play the 2 and 3, so they should be on the depth chart line for the Small Forward as well. Because next year's team will be guard-heavy, even if NJ declares, I would not be surprised to see a lot of 3 guard sets, when either BA, or Zeus is on the bench. Craig Victor and Rustic are more project type guys at this point than instant impact. Doubtful that either of them steps up and gets 10-15 minutes a game as a Freshman.

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Random but anyone remember this?
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N15nIX_zVNU]David Bagga's Last Shot at McKale Center on Senior Day - YouTube[/ame]

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good news is that we only have to wait until Tuesday to find out of NJ puts his name in the hat.

I guess my question (if NJ stays), is will RHJ still feel more comfortable coming off the bench behind SJ, or will he start since he is obviously the better defender? I don't think he minds coming in to provide that spark that he is infamous for supplying.

Last edited by a moderator:

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The difficulty with providing depth charts (as I've come to learn), is that Miller demands and employs such versatility in his rotations. So, depending on the opponent, Miller will shuffle guys in accordingly. There are so many combinations (especially with a guard-heavy bench) that Miller can use, depending on if he sees the need to go big, small, quick, slow, offensive, defensive, etc. Being that (unless 3-4 guys go to the draft and transfer) this team is looking to be pretty deep, who really knows how the chart will look? Obviously defense is going to be the deciding factor for bench minutes, and we really don't know what the new guys will do, nor do we really know if there is a chance for guys like Korchek, Pitts, or Peters to really step up and fight for those double digit minutes. I think the main thing to remember is that Miller doesn't have a problem tapering the rotation down to 7-8 guys (unfortunately). So, it's possible that the rotation (if NJ stays) could look something like:

TJ
NJ
SJ
BA
Zeus

RJ
York
and then one other guy who does the best out of PJC, Allen, Pitts, Victor, Ristic etc.

I think that the other thing to remember is that AZ can only carry 13 scholarships (12 and then redshirts, if I'm not mistaken). So there is a question as to what the roster will even look like w or w/o NJ.

TJ, BA, SJ, Zeus, PJC, Pitts, York, RHJ, Victor, Allen, and Ristic. That's 11, not counting NJ. Or 12 with him. Out of Korchek, Peters, and Conklin, who gets the last one, not counting any redshirts? Or does he redshirt some guys? Even if NJ leaves, there are still not enough scholarships for everyone. Anyone have any ideas?

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah CTP, right now they are -2 scholarships available with their 4 incoming players and 1 outgoing. Between AG, NJ, and the others who are considering a jump to the NBA, and/or transfers, they will need to have 2 less scholarships by the time the season starts.

This website, Verbal Commits, has always done a pretty good job of breaking it down.

IMO, they will either have 2 players jump to the NBA, or have 1 go pro and 1 player transfer. Of course, the other alternative is if Ristic winds up not signing. Unless I'm mistaken, he is verbally committed, but has not signed a LOI. Aaron Gordon was a forgone conclusion by most to be a 1 year player, and they had the # of scholarships set up perfectly... until they took a commit from Ristic. Now they are 1 over (assuming that Gordon goes pro).

Personally I would much, much, much, much rather them not take on Ristic, and instead go after Zimmerman and Rabb (both heavy UofA-leans) to replace Zeus and Bash in 2015. Ristic does not seem like a Sean Miller type player to me. he is very skilled athletically, but he is slow, cannot jump and his defense is highly suspect. I mean, if he does sign and wear a Cats uniform then I will cheer for him as loudly as any player, but I was not super excited by his commit. Zimmerman and Rabb should be the focus and the future, those guys are unreal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...btw, I had a brain-typo in that. Meant to say "(Ristic) is very skilled offensively..." Not athletically.

I like the idea of having a guy in the post who can score... I mean, that is why Arizona lost in the NCAA's was for that very reason, but at the same time, Bash and Zeus are capable of scoring in the post, and both are plus defenders. From what I've read and seen from Ristic, he is more of a liability on defense and he is weak in the post, both on offense and defense, which means that he won't see the court much until that changes. Unless he gains a ton of strength between now and the start of the season I doubt that he will contribute much, but he would be a great practice partner for Zeus.

Either way, whoever leaves, and whoever stays, this year's class is very impressive across the board.

CatsTopPac

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
...btw, I had a brain-typo in that. Meant to say "(Ristic) is very skilled offensively..." Not athletically.

I like the idea of having a guy in the post who can score... I mean, that is why Arizona lost in the NCAA's was for that very reason, but at the same time, Bash and Zeus are capable of scoring in the post, and both are plus defenders. From what I've read and seen from Ristic, he is more of a liability on defense and he is weak in the post, both on offense and defense, which means that he won't see the court much until that changes. Unless he gains a ton of strength between now and the start of the season I doubt that he will contribute much, but he would be a great practice partner for Zeus.

Either way, whoever leaves, and whoever stays, this year's class is very impressive across the board.

Agreed, I think that if Ristic comes, he and Peters should both redshirt.

gordontrue

Bandwagoner
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,550.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm tired of these reporters racing to break news. We've already seen several instances where the player came out and refuted the reports. I'm sure they'll end up right in this case, but I hate that they report it a day early citing "sources" before its really official. Why can't we just let the players make their own announcements.

Anyway, if they both do go as reported in the article, I think they've made solid decisions. There are plenty of examples of players leaving too early (*cough* Grant), but I don't think Nick or Aaron fit into that category at all.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I completely agree. There is no accountability with these clowns. In the (many) instances where they break news early like this that ends up being completely false, they should be required to reveal their "sources" and explain themselves.

I think Gordon could use one more year, but I suppose the things he really needs to work on don't necessarily have to be done in the college game (you can improve your free throws anywhere).

Would love to see Nick back, but I just don't see how his stock gets any higher. He almost has to go now. Won't complain if he doesn't though!

The Derski

No Fat Chicks
Hoopla Cash
$ 418.10
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes that annoys me too however that articles was actually confirming Gordon going pro. It is assuming nick Johnson is though.

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There is always a chance than any player can transfer... due to lack of playing time, or for other personal reasons, but IMO the chances of York leaving now are slim-to-none. If he was going to leave it would have been after his freshman year. First of all, he will be a Junior, with 2 years experience in Sean Miller's offense, so there is no way he will be 4th on the depth chart for the 2. Allen has skills and can fill the stat sheet, but the fact remains that only players who commit to playing lock-down defense will be favored in Sean Miller's rotation... which is why York started 10+ games after Ashley went down, Miller trusts his D. Allen is still an unknown on that side of the ball, since he has not faced any high-D1 level offensive talent while playing in Junior College.

Second of all, there is no future for York as a shooting guard, so it is much more likely that if Bunnies declares for the draft that York takes over the backup PG role that NJ and Mayes split. Much more likely for that to happen than for PJC to step in from day 1 and get 15+ minutes a game. York can handle the ball and played PG a bit in HS, and if he has any hope of making it to the next level, those are the skills he will need to work on more than anything.

Also, Stanley Johnson and Elliot Pitts are both going to play the 2 and 3, so they should be on the depth chart line for the Small Forward as well. Because next year's team will be guard-heavy, even if NJ declares, I would not be surprised to see a lot of 3 guard sets, when either BA, or Zeus is on the bench. Craig Victor and Rustic are more project type guys at this point than instant impact. Doubtful that either of them steps up and gets 10-15 minutes a game as a Freshman.

Agree with a lot of this. First, I think any of you expecting PJC or CV or Rustic to play very much next year are going to be disappointed. I think all of them have the role that Gabe had his frosh year (in other words, ever playing an important minute all season).

Second, I think we are very likely to see Kadeem backing up TJM, and Gumby the reason I think that is he IS right now ready to defend at the D1 level, that's why Sean brought him in. He is already an elite defender, and he was a very good facilitator in JUCO which I think lends well to him having more of a chance at being a solid backup PG. Gabe has good vision, but facilitating an offense as the PG and being a good passing SG are two different things. I think Gabe is much more the latter of those two.

I think Gabe and Pitts will be in a serious battle for backup 2-guard (0% chance stanley doesn't start at the 2, as long as Brash is healthy). The fact that Pitts can play the 3 as well will be very nice as, like Gumby said, lots of 3 guard lineups are ahead of us when we slide Rondae to the 4 if either Zeus or Brash are on the bench.

I am a little worried about our depth down low. I really hope Korcheck can carve out a 10-minute, backup C role next year because we are going to need it. We saw how the loss of Brash this year ruined the NC hopes, and we are one body thinner down low next year. Maybe there's a grad transfer who can come in and provide great backup minutes in the post?

dcZONAfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 100.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah CTP, right now they are -2 scholarships available with their 4 incoming players and 1 outgoing. Between AG, NJ, and the others who are considering a jump to the NBA, and/or transfers, they will need to have 2 less scholarships by the time the season starts.

This website, Verbal Commits, has always done a pretty good job of breaking it down.

IMO, they will either have 2 players jump to the NBA, or have 1 go pro and 1 player transfer. Of course, the other alternative is if Ristic winds up not signing. Unless I'm mistaken, he is verbally committed, but has not signed a LOI. Aaron Gordon was a forgone conclusion by most to be a 1 year player, and they had the # of scholarships set up perfectly... until they took a commit from Ristic. Now they are 1 over (assuming that Gordon goes pro).

Personally I would much, much, much, much rather them not take on Ristic, and instead go after Zimmerman and Rabb (both heavy UofA-leans) to replace Zeus and Bash in 2015. Ristic does not seem like a Sean Miller type player to me. he is very skilled athletically, but he is slow, cannot jump and his defense is highly suspect. I mean, if he does sign and wear a Cats uniform then I will cheer for him as loudly as any player, but I was not super excited by his commit. Zimmerman and Rabb should be the focus and the future, those guys are unreal.

Gumby just so you know Rabb is definitely a UA lean, but from what I've heard Zimmerman is 100% not coming to UA. Just thought you should know now so that you aren't disappointed since you listed him as a heavy UA lean.

Also guys, Peters is not likely going to be on the team next year, so i think that solves the problem of the scholarships since NJ is definitely gone now

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Gumby just so you know Rabb is definitely a UA lean, but from what I've heard Zimmerman is 100% not coming to UA. Just thought you should know now so that you aren't disappointed since you listed him as a heavy UA lean.

Also guys, Peters is not likely going to be on the team next year, so i think that solves the problem of the scholarships since NJ is definitely gone now

Yes Dc, I understand that you are a member of PGU, as I have been since before the day it launched when they recruited me to join their startup fansite. Thanks for the inside info.

My point is... Raab and Zimmerman are far more important than Ristic. I was not suggesting, or predicting like some people in the sports "media" world do, that Zimmerman was or was not going to sign with Arizona, I am merely pointing out that Miller has been on him for 4 years now and he is as likely to come to the UofA at this point as any of the other schools on his list, pending Zeus' decision next season. The decisions of a 17 year old are fickle at best and the school that they play for is not determined until the moment that they sign their LOI.

As always, one talented big man in a class is a rare enough thing, anybody paying attention knows that getting one of the two is all that you can hope for. Getting two talented bigs, or three as Sean Miller did 2 years ago, is unbelievably rare.