• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Offseason Player Transaction Thread

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope this doesn't push the Rangers into a move that none of us wants.

It wont.

Don't they have a surplus of outfielders?

Besides we don't know what MLB is going to do yet. However, with the government involved it could get interesting.

Most of the "talent pool" OF wise are CF. None of them are major power threats. (Leonys could be...if he developed/filled out a little more)

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yep, and we needed a big year from Cruz. The young guns better bring their A game to ST.

Nothing like a potential COF vacancy dangling like a carrot to hype up ST. Advances the search for a replacement by 12 months is all.

Quick show of hands who think Cruz would be still with TEX instead of being given FA at end of this season?

With "13" out for what might be the whole season ... not as much pressure to go lenient on the offenders. My first reaction is that Gio being nabbed might the worst loss impact wise.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing like a potential COF vacancy dangling like a carrot to hype up ST. Advances the search for a replacement by 12 months is all.

Quick show of hands who think Cruz would be still with TEX instead of being given FA at end of this season?

With "13" out for what might be the whole season ... not as much pressure to go lenient on the offenders. My first reaction is that Gio being nabbed might the worst loss impact wise.

I think it's a given that Cruz is playing his last season as a Ranger. What will be interesting to watch is how the Andrus situation plays out this year. I'm betting he's gone by the trade deadline. Actually, I'm hoping he's gone if a long term deal isn't in place by then, which I don't think will happen.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think it's a given that Cruz is playing his last season as a Ranger. What will be interesting to watch is how the Andrus situation plays out this year. I'm betting he's gone by the trade deadline. Actually, I'm hoping he's gone if a long term deal isn't in place by then, which I don't think will happen.

I don't doubt that Andrus might re-sign with Texas, but that an awful big risk to take, and with Profar waiting in the wings, you probably have to get something for him now, letting him go to free agency with hopes of re-signing him is way too risky

And there's no reason to believe that the Rangers couldn't make him an offer when he does, but business is business, just like Andrus refusing to re-sign before his free agency is business, so is us dealing him for the best possible package

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Andrus for Oscar Tavares+ please.....thanks

You know, its certainly not the most absurd idea, Cardinals certainly need SS/2B help (more SS though)

Don't know if they would be willing to pay a high enough price to acquire someone they might only have for a short period of time

But more has been given for a a lesser commitment, AND the Cardinals aren't nearly as hamstrung by contractual constraints as other teams like the Rays

While I don't think we score a Tavares, certainly one of the arms is a possibility (Miller, Martinez, Rosenthal, Wacha), and despite Carpenter's career likely being over, they have built up a good amount of pitching depth and makes one of the premium arms expendable in an effort to improve the SS position

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
With the clock counting down to P+C ... what was the best off season move? Next best?

IMO ...
1. Trading MY
2. Acquiring AJ

I am more excited by TEX signing AJ than I would have been had they resigned Napoli. Going into 2013 TEX is upgraded with AJ/Soto over a year ago with Napoli/**. But no move opens the door and creates more excitement than moving MY.

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't doubt that Andrus might re-sign with Texas, but that an awful big risk to take, and with Profar waiting in the wings, you probably have to get something for him now, letting him go to free agency with hopes of re-signing him is way too risky

And there's no reason to believe that the Rangers couldn't make him an offer when he does, but business is business, just like Andrus refusing to re-sign before his free agency is business, so is us dealing him for the best possible package

And that should be a nice package.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With the clock counting down to P+C ... what was the best off season move? Next best?

IMO ...
1. Trading MY
2. Acquiring AJ

I am more excited by TEX signing AJ than I would have been had they resigned Napoli. Going into 2013 TEX is upgraded with AJ/Soto over a year ago with Napoli/**. But no move opens the door and creates more excitement than moving MY.

Best move - not signing Hamilton

Next best - not signing Greinke

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Al -- thought of you when I read this line in Jamey's email this morning ...

"Righthander Luis Mendoza lost a no-hitter with one out in the eighth for Mexico last night, fanning nine Puerto Rico hitters and walking four in the Caribbean Series matchup."

I remember one night at Frisco I'd traveled down from Arkansas early to catch Mendoza in a AA game. Was down by the bullpen in the LF corner watching him warm up when Vicente Padilla came up out of the locker room to warm up in a rehab start. Mendoza who was still sporting his Wild Thing black rimmed glasses stood by the screen and watched in moderate disdain as Vicente prepared to take Mendoza's start away from him.

Mendoza went on down to the dugout and hung out with the other starters and watched Padilla get tagged hard in 2 innings of work before the RPs took over. Dang ... I drove all the way down I30 for that.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BChq-1hCAAA8qI1.jpg:large

Elvis looks like he's put on some muscle again....

Al Falfa

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Al -- thought of you when I read this line in Jamey's email this morning ...

"Righthander Luis Mendoza lost a no-hitter with one out in the eighth for Mexico last night, fanning nine Puerto Rico hitters and walking four in the Caribbean Series matchup."

I remember one night at Frisco I'd traveled down from Arkansas early to catch Mendoza in a AA game. Was down by the bullpen in the LF corner watching him warm up when Vicente Padilla came up out of the locker room to warm up in a rehab start. Mendoza who was still sporting his Wild Thing black rimmed glasses stood by the screen and watched in moderate disdain as Vicente prepared to take Mendoza's start away from him.

Mendoza went on down to the dugout and hung out with the other starters and watched Padilla get tagged hard in 2 innings of work before the RPs took over. Dang ... I drove all the way down I30 for that.

At one time I thought Mendoza was going to be a good mid to back of the rotation starter. Although he had some nice stuff he never seemed to have much between the ears. He seemed to lack an edge or mental toughness in tight spots.

Last edited by a moderator:

Windingmywatch

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
At one time I thought Mendoza was going to be a good mid to back of the rotation starter. Although he had some nice stuff he never seemed to have much between the ears. He seemed to lack an edge or mental toughness in tight spots.

He lost the edge when he lost the glasses. Had laser surgery post season after his 2008 Sep jump from FRI to TEX. Never was the same afterward. His sinker was terribly nasty ... hitters couldn't touch him and Max Ramirez couldn't catch him. The edge was no doubt the glasses.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He lost the edge when he lost the glasses. Had laser surgery post season after his 2008 Sep jump from FRI to TEX. Never was the same afterward. His sinker was terribly nasty ... hitters couldn't touch him and Max Ramirez couldn't catch him. The edge was no doubt the glasses.

the part about Max Ramirez was kinda redundant, he couldn't really catch anyone