• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2013 Offseason Player Transaction Thread

Laserman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How can Two people say TOTALLY opposite things?:what::what::what:

USA Today's Bob Nightengale calls the Mets and Mariners the "favorites" for free agent Michael Bourn.
The Rangers, Nightengale says, are not "involved at all." Bourn has struggled to attract a healthy market this winter because signing him means the loss of a draft pick. The Mets right now -- though they're trying to fight it -- would lose a first-round pick (11th overall). The Mariners would also lose their first-round selection at 12th overall.

And over ESPN this is the insider link
Rumors: Rangers now favorites for Bourn? Insider

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And over ESPN this is the insider link
Rumors: Rangers now favorites for Bourn? Insider

The Bourn favorites - MLB Rumors Blog - ESPN
(see below)

If the New York Mets stick to their stance on draft-pick compensation, the market for Michael Bourn shrinks by two. The Atlanta Braves acquired Justin Upton, a deal finalized Thursday, which eliminates them as a possible landing spot, notes ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

Among others being linked to Bourn, according to a report by CBSSports.com's Jon Heyman, include the Seattle Mariners, Baltimore Orioles, Chicago Cubs, Tampa Bay Rays, Texas Rangers and Los Angeles Dodgers. The Cubs are the only club of the bunch that would not have to surrender their first-round pick to sign Bourn.

The Orioles could use Bourn in center and move Adam Jones to left, but only if Bourn were signed long term. Jones was just awarded a Gold Glove, but Bourn runs circles around Jones defensively, backed up by both the scouting eye and the advanced metrics that measure defensive value.

Crasnick adds via Twitter that the Rangers seem to be the best fit -- we summarized the club's center field plans here -- "unless Scott Boras can convince Mike Ilitch to sign him." The Tigers. Interesting.

T.R. Sullivan reported Thursday afternoon, however, that sources say the Rangers are not pursuing Bourn -- or right-hander Kyle Lohse -- and Bob Nightengale tweets that the favorites are Seattle and the Mets.

The Tigers are indeed intriguing, though they already have a very good, young centerfielder in Austin Jackson. Bourn would, however, be an upgrade at leadoff and as the third starting outfielder to go with Jackson and veteran Torii Hunter. As of now, Andy Dirks and Avisail Garcia are the leading candidates for the left field job.

One sleeper possibility is the Miami Marlins, who not only lack a centerfielder and leadoff hitter nearly as capable as Bourn, but the Marlins may be pressured to spend money on the 2013 roster, reports Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald. The Marlins may be a legitimate possibility if agent Scott Boras and Bourn go for a one-year deal with plans to hit the market again next offseason.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the link they are referring to in the post above...

Rangers plans in CF - MLB Rumors Blog - ESPN

The Texas Rangers have been linked to centerfielders this offseason, including Michael Bourn, who remains a free agent. The club, writes Drew Davison, is planning on starting spring training with what they already have.

Leonys Martin and Craig Gentry are the Rangers' top candidates for the center field job with Julio Borbon also likely to get a look in spring training.

Martin, a left-handed batter, and Gentry, a righty, could fit well as a platoon pairing, as suggested by ESPNDallas.com's Richard Durrett earlier this month. Defensively, Gentry is the better of the two and he also offers more experience and better baserunning. Gentry is also the more accomplished hitter in the big leagues, despite having fewer than 500 plate appearances under his belt.

The free agent market is quite empty for anything more than extra outfielders, but other potential trade targets could include Curtis Granderson of the New York Yankees, Franklin Gutierrez of the Seattle Mariners and Oakland Athletics speedster Coco Crisp. For veteran depth, a player such as Ryan Sweeney could make some sense.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And the link they are referring to in the post above...

Rangers plans in CF - MLB Rumors Blog - ESPN

The Texas Rangers have been linked to centerfielders this offseason, including Michael Bourn, who remains a free agent. The club, writes Drew Davison, is planning on starting spring training with what they already have.

Leonys Martin and Craig Gentry are the Rangers' top candidates for the center field job with Julio Borbon also likely to get a look in spring training.

Martin, a left-handed batter, and Gentry, a righty, could fit well as a platoon pairing, as suggested by ESPNDallas.com's Richard Durrett earlier this month. Defensively, Gentry is the better of the two and he also offers more experience and better baserunning. Gentry is also the more accomplished hitter in the big leagues, despite having fewer than 500 plate appearances under his belt.

The free agent market is quite empty for anything more than extra outfielders, but other potential trade targets could include Curtis Granderson of the New York Yankees, Franklin Gutierrez of the Seattle Mariners and Oakland Athletics speedster Coco Crisp. For veteran depth, a player such as Ryan Sweeney could make some sense.

Boras' tactics seem to have backfired this time, as there are no long term fits and no one really willing to pay the price short term

May he still pull it off, we'll see, maybe if the league "makes" the Marlins spend some money

I mostly want to see Bourn get screwed b/c of Boras, so I definitely don't want him now

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Boras' tactics seem to have backfired this time, as there are no long term fits and no one really willing to pay the price short term

May he still pull it off, we'll see, maybe if the league "makes" the Marlins spend some money

I mostly want to see Bourn get screwed b/c of Boras, so I definitely don't want him now

Plus, if Bourn and Lohse get screwed it might make him more inclined to open up extension talks regarding Elvis.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, if Bourn and Lohse get screwed it might make him more inclined to open up extension talks regarding Elvis.

Doubt it, whole different animal there

mid-20's, good defensive SS's, with solid offensive skills (outside of HRs), will always be highly valued, way more than early 30's CFs whose game relies almost entirely on speed or a mid-30's starting pitcher whose had a fairly mediocre career who's banking on 2 good seasons at the end

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
^^^ Both players would have contracts if it wasnt for the draft pick that you would have to give up for either of them.

jta4437

Grumpy Cat
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Mets & Mariners would lose their 1st round picks & the money alotted for the pick for their draft. I don't think either team will sign Bourn.

I expect Bourn to end up a Cub. We shall see.

Only one that makes sense short-term, and probably on a 1 year contract

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Cruz is linked to PED's eh? Shocker.

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I've honestly suspected this before.

Xx srs bsns xX

Hoopla Cash
$ 2,409.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly believe most players take some form of PED's... it happens in all sports.

That said, I'm hearing its a 50/50 chance he could be suspended for 50 games. Great. Sounds like Olt or Profar just found a spot on the 25 man.

(martin/moreland in RF..........Olt/moreland 1b??)

romeo212000

Self-proclaimed Asshole
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,441.75
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I honestly believe most players take some form of PED's... it happens in all sports.

That said, I'm hearing its a 50/50 chance he could be suspended for 50 games. Great. Sounds like Olt or Profar just found a spot on the 25 man.

(martin/moreland in RF..........Olt/moreland 1b??)

Yep, and we needed a big year from Cruz. The young guns better bring their A game to ST.

DaBoltsNIsles

PLAYOFFS OR BUST!!
Lost in the ABYSS that is Islanders Hockey.
Hoopla Cash
$ 588.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So Cruz is linked to PED's eh? Shocker.

I'm not surprised about hearing any baseball player being linked to PED's. As a Padres fan I want Grandal traded. I know new ownership was very upset about the 50 game suspension. They don't want players associated with PED's on their team. We shall see what they do with him.

AFRAUD was always a FRAUD. No surprise their.

scotsman1948

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hope this doesn't push the Rangers into a move that none of us wants.