• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

2012 Minnesota Twins Commentary

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
PC - You called Pavano's melt-down. Just when you think he can be trusted he blows-up. I predict 12-10 this year.

Don't follow Mauer out on that ice-flow, he's gonna fall through, I can feel it. Just jokIng, but I'm still skeptical of this guy. He has to return to the guy he was for at least as many years and then he's still way over-paid in my book. Having said that, I am the 1st. to admit that I would have done his deal too, if it meant getting a new ballpark. Now both sides have completed their obligations and Joe's contract is an anchor on the team's treasury. We'll see soon enough if he's still worth the money. In the meantime: GO TWINS!

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And it sounds like Pavano will be the opening day starter. That should be fun!

I know Mauer has some work to do in order to restore the Twins fans faith in him. It just seems foolish to me to write him off already. Talent like he has doesn't just suddenly fly out the window.

Hold on buck this season is gonna be a rough ride.

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yes, nearly everyone deserves a second chance. OJ got one but he wasn't pullin' down $20 million a year to doink balls into LF. Had OJ's jury heard about sometrhing like that they'd of ordered a rope! Seriously, I just happen to feel that because Joe is financially set for life in a career where he cannot be disciplined at all, and where he is adored by everyone he meets, that he has let this get to his head.

Ricky Williams did this after his S-Bowl MVP year, he decided to take an "extended sabbatical" to India to "hooka"-up with the main Guru over there in order to expand his inner-conscience, or some other BS mularkey, these brain-dead athletes always come up with. Pretty soon that door-knob was back with his same rap. Turnips can never become top-bananas. "You is what you is."

I hold Mauer to the delivering the highest standard of excellence based solely on his enormous pay and his dicipline-proof status. Right now Casi is out-hitting Joe while getting 1/20th of Joe's yearly rate of pay and subject to benching, trade, or re-assignment if he gets out-of-line or fails to perform. That would motivate the heck out of me, I guarantee you. As a matter of fact, it has all my life!

Accordingly, I expect Joe to hit .340+, have 20+ hr's, and 100+ rbi's each of the next 5-yrs. That's what his rate of pay calls for. I won't call him names or crap like that but I ain't kissin' his back-side either. He's not that good. After last year he has to prove himself to me. I think he let us down.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While he is no suspected killer like the Juice ,he had one bad year in which injuries nagged him all year. I wouldn't compare Mauer to a flaky NFL knob either.

None of these sports stars will truly "earn" the amount of money they make in the common man's eye but that's just the way it is. People in sports, movies and music make tons of money because there is a whole lot of it flying around in those industries.

Call him all the names you want. Just don't write him off quite yet. This season could make or break him.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Looks like Lirriano had a good outing today. Then Manship came out and flushed it down the crapper.

It's looking like Butera is making a good case for the minor club. 0-3 today with a .214 BA. Surprised?

Morneau had a double but is sitting at an ugly .108 BA. That don't look good for him. Might be time to hang it up.

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Ohhh, I'm just raggin' on him for all kinds of who knows what. He'll probably have a descent(sp?) season while the team flounders around close to last place. The damage is done, he's got the money and it can't be returned, which means there is just that less available to sign a couple Cuddy's should they become available. None of this is Joe's fault, they offered, he accepted.

I won't write him off because I never completely bought into him. I saw the folly in huge contracts years ago and it was drummed into my head in Business College that more money doesn't lead to better performance, often it makes the employee worse because the attitude changes from grateful to entitled. You intuitively talked about that in your second paragraph above, it's in all avenues of life.

That being said, he's done so much more with his abilities than I have that I am in no position to call him names. I don't do that anyway. I am a stern task-master with guys like him. You gotta perform to earn my respect and then my adulation. Nolan Ryan did it. Jim Thome, for sure, unless he used roids. You know me so well now, you know where I'm coming from on Joe. I truly hope he does well as this helps the Twins.

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
A good year for Mauer would be great but the team is still gonna be rough. As you know, one guy can't do it all.

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Pc - Check out the new clashes going on over on Fox. I'm out of that this year!

Baseball is back!!

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morneau is really showing some life lately. I hope he is able to keep it up.

Would love to see him make a complete comeback to his old MVP form.

buckamania

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Yeah, that sunuvagun is doing his best to embarass me but he doesn't realize that 100's have done that to me already! Seriously, I'd love to see him return to his former greatness. None of this was his fault. DH may be the best spot for him if he can hit well enough to justify it. That way you keep Parmalee, Doumit, etc. in the lineup too splitting time with Mauer at 1B. I think Doumit can catch too? If Morny reverts to the low .200's and his notorious streakiness I'd sit him in favor of any hotter bat among the others. Enough is enough.

Hughes is really putting Casi & Carroll on notice that he may be the future of the Twins middle IF.

Even Mauer, the king of the doinkers, is waking up. Like I've said all Winter, if he hits .340+ and drives in 100 runs and scores a ton himself, I can live with his lack of power. An RBI is an RBI, I don't care how he drives them in, just get the job done approprite to $20 million per year. I know, I know, I'm fixated on that obese contract of his. Very, very few of the guys who've received those kind of deals live up to them. Baseball has to stop that madness. What ever happened to smoke-filled rooms and collusion?? I miss those days........

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah buck the madness really does need to stop. Or at least slow down.

Hell the Dodgers were just purchased for $2 Billion! :eek2:

powerchord86

Tolerator
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,744.86
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Mauer is batting .340 Gotta love that. Morny keeps bangin em out lately.

We may just be on the verge of witnessing the return of the M&M boys.