• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Series Thread: 2) Nuggets vs 3) T'Wolves

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's hard to compare that era to era anyway. But when the best you've done is be up 2 0 in a 2nd round series we might want to pump the brakes a tad

That's true, but in the current era of 0 defense being played in the NBA, would they then be considered the best Def. team of this era? They did have the best defense in the L this year, not just the playoffs, so much more then a sweep and a 2-0 lead in the second round.

Stakesarehigh

One day it will all make sense
Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's true, but in the current era of 0 defense being played in the NBA, would they then be considered the best Def. team of this era? They did have the best defense in the L this year, not just the playoffs, so much more then a sweep and a 2-0 lead in the second round.

Have you watched any playoffs this year? Your takeaway is there is zero defense?

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Have you watched any playoffs this year? Your takeaway is there is zero defense?

I have, what I'm saying is in this era of basketball the NBA teams don't play defense. This Wolves team has had the best Defense the whole season and carried it into the playoffs. Not sure why you are only talking about playoffs rather then the whole season including the playoffs?

And of course, defense today is nothing like back in the 80's when teams could actually play defense.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have, what I'm saying is in this era of basketball the NBA teams don't play defense. This Wolves team has had the best Defense the whole season and carried it into the playoffs. Not sure why you are only talking about playoffs rather then the whole season including the playoffs?

And of course, defense today is nothing like back in the 80's when teams could actually play defense.

There are all kind of stats that disprove your position.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Terrible take.

Defense today is considerably better than the 80s

Scoring was actually on about the same level back then even though players weren’t nearly as skilled and the rules favored defense a lot more than they do today.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Terrible take.

Defense today is considerably better than the 80s

Scoring was actually on about the same level back then even though players weren’t nearly as skilled and the rules favored defense a lot more than they do today.

Really? They don't even compare imo. I haven't seen defensive basketball in the NBA since the Ben Wallace. NBA has went to all Offense.

I don't think I ever saw wide open layups back in the 80's.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My bad, I guess it would of been the 90's. Back in the days of the Pistons/Knicks/Bulls etc.

The 90s yes.

But that was because they weren’t playing basketball back then.

You aren’t supposed to be able to put your hands on an offensive player to prevent them from driving past you. You are supposed to use your feet to stay in front.

You aren’t supposed to be able to try to injure players in order to deter them from driving the lane.

The game was never intended to be played that way.

90s and early 2000s get the rep for being “great defensive eras” but the truth is that the rules were stacked for the defense, and offensive basketball at that time just wasn’t all that good.

It was not that players were better at defense.

DaEagles

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The 90s yes.

But that was because they weren’t playing basketball back then.

You aren’t supposed to be able to put your hands on an offensive player to prevent them from driving past you. You are supposed to use your feet to stay in front.

You aren’t supposed to be able to try to injure players in order to deter them from driving the lane.

The game was never intended to be played that way.

90s and early 2000s get the rep for being “great defensive eras” but the truth is that the rules were stacked for the defense, and offensive basketball at that time just wasn’t all that good.

It was not that players were better at defense.

While I agree with most of that, I guess I look at it as they changed the game for the offense and took away the defenses ability to defend.

I see it as the same in the NFL with defenses also and the NFL taking away the defenses ability and turning it into a passing league.

And watching this Wolves team play tough D and switcing and helping out seems to be something new in the NBA (imo). They are really the only team I watch (and whoever they are playing).

And no, I wouldn't put them up as one of the great D's like Barkley said. But when teams are putting up 115 to 120 a night and they are holding teams to less then a 100, that's pretty good.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Really? They don't even compare imo. I haven't seen defensive basketball in the NBA since the Ben Wallace. NBA has went to all Offense.

I don't think I ever saw wide open layups back in the 80's.

You didn’t see as many layups because offenses didn’t know how to spread the floor.

Offense was played inside out and defenses barely had to defend past 20 feet.

Today they have to defend out to 30 feet and the floor is spaced better and balanced with more shooters.

tlance

Kyrie Hater
Hoopla Cash
$ 11,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
While I agree with most of that, I guess I look at it as they changed the game for the offense and took away the defenses ability to defend.

I see it as the same in the NFL with defenses also and the NFL taking away the defenses ability and turning it into a passing league.

And watching this Wolves team play tough D and switcing and helping out seems to be something new in the NBA (imo). They are really the only team I watch (and whoever they are playing).

And no, I wouldn't put them up as one of the great D's like Barkley said. But when teams are putting up 115 to 120 a night and they are holding teams to less then a 100, that's pretty good.

It is very good. I agree with that.

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

You can not tell me you consistently watch the NBA and act as if switching and help D is some kind of new phenomenon. There are tons of players like a Jahil Okafor or Edey who would've been much more impactful in the 90s because defense was much more 1 on 1 whereas today it is all about switching to help off pick and rolls and to pick up guys at the 3 pt line or as they drive

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Throw in KCP too.

When you are as thin as the Nuggets are, you can have 2 of your starters be less than 100% and not play well. Not at this stage.

This team doesnt look ANYTHING like the Nuggets the Wolves saw last year. Obviously the Wolves are better too. But the Nuggets are probably more depleted than we are more improved.

Its nice as a Wolves fan to listen to the talking heads say how great they are. But we are still really early in the playoffs and the clock could strike midnight any moment for the Wolves and we will see them turn back into pumpkins.

They are legit for sure. Just not "best defense ever" legit.
Wolves are legit. It feels like baby MJ is going to get into the dance

LogicMan

Watch out for Berniedoodles and Trumpers
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As I said last night before the game. I do give Wolves credit for their D, but Nuggets O just looks off, way off. The team I know passes the ball quickly now suddenly they are getting sticky palms and end up with a poor shot selection as the clock is winding down. First quarter with their Big 3 had a combined total of 4 points. Murray has had one game and one quarter of a good game out of seven games.

I'll be for Minny the rest of the playoffs assuming they take this series as it certainly appears. They share a lot of coaches, front office people plus they also share a common miserable NBA history to overcome.
Minny fans have gotten the bad juju for years. Early Lakers championships belong to them not LA

Stakesarehigh

Hoopla Cash
$ 77,957.12
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Minny fans have gotten the bad juju for years. Early Lakers championships belong to them not LA

It belongs to the franchise lol. The absolute youngest Minny Lakers fan is about 80 now. Most of them are dead.