• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

105th Pick Broncos Select LB Baron Browning

megalodon30

Archduke of Crosstown Busses
Hoopla Cash
$ 19,967.56
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
There's a LB. Should get a chance to play a bit this year. Can play inside or out. Good versatility.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yeah, we will see what he can do. Still would have loved to had Cox and his coverage ability. Maybe Strnad will be that guy.

SpringStein

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
BARON BROWNING | Ohio State 6026 | 245 lbs. | SR. Fort Worth, Texas (Kennedale) 2/19/1999 (age 22.19) #5
BACKGROUND: Baron Browning was born and raised in Fort Worth and played running back in middle school. He enrolled at Kennedale High School, where he saw immediate playing time on the varsity team as a freshman linebacker. After missing most of his sophomore year with an injury, Browning posted 74 tackles, eight tackles for loss, four forced fumbles and two interceptions in 2015, earning First Team All-State honors. As a senior, he again earned First Team All-State honors and was the 4A defensive player of the year, leading Kennedale to the state semifinals for the first time in school history. Browning finished the 2016 season with 81 tackles and 10 tackles for loss. An accomplished bowler and power lifter (he dead-lifted 630 pounds in high school), he also played baseball and ran track at Kennedale, setting a personal-best 10.97 seconds in the 100 meters.
A five-star recruit out of high school, Browning was the No. 1 outside linebacker in the class and the No. 4 recruit in Texas, behind DT Marvin Wilson (Florida State), CB Jeff Okudah (Ohio State) and OT Walker Little (Stanford). He received his first college offer from Baylor after his freshman season and initially committed to head coach Art Briles before changing his mind. Browning reopened his recruitment and considered offers from Alabama, Florida State and Michigan before committing to Ohio State. His older brother Barry Jr. played defensive back at Stanford (2010-13). His father, Barry Sr., played defensive back at Oklahoma State and TCU (1995-98). Browning graduated with his degree in communications (August 2020). He accepted his invitation to the Senior Bowl.

STRENGTHS: Great-looking athlete on the hoof...quick reactive movements and functional mirror skills...smooth acceleration to open his hips and go...shows the athletic traits to hold up in one-on-one coverage versus backs or tight ends, staying on top of routes and winning body position...uses his length to punch and detach from second-level blockers...creates stopping power as a tackler with his core power and striking skills...flashes promising pass-rush skills waiting to be cultivated...improved eye use to track the quarterback’s intentions...played inside and outside in Ohio State’s scheme and the Buckeyes’ coaches speak highly of his attitude as he filled in wherever was needed.
WEAKNESSES: Late to recognize play design and identify developing run lanes...needs to be quicker sorting through backfield movements, reading then reacting...bad habit of abandoning his gap...has tunnel vision versus the run and needs to widen his vision to locate side-angled blockers...needs to better balance playing urgent but also patient...his overpursuit opens easy cutback lanes for ball carriers...needs to eliminate the wasted steps in pursuit and coverage...below-average starting experience and production, especially in coverage (two passes defended, zero interceptions)...numerous nagging injuries plagued him over his OSU tenure, including a groin issue (October 2019).
SUMMARY: A part-time starter at Ohio State, Browning split his time between strongside and middle linebacker in defensive coordinator Kerry Coombs’ scheme. A five-star recruit, he didn’t light up the stat sheet in Columbus, but his career was a slow burn as he steadily improved each year, especially when he played primarily on the outside as a senior. Browning’s next level role will be different from team to team because of his athletic versatility to play physical or hold up in space. The mental side of the position is still a work in progress as he shows inconsistent vision and block/fit recognition as an inside backer. Overall, Browning doesn’t consistently play with anticipation, but he is physically impressive with the size, length and athleticism to rush the passer or drop in coverage. He projects best as a SAM linebacker or designated pass rusher with down-the-road starting potential.
GRADE: 3rd Round (No. 91 overall)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Start him off as a situational pass rusher and develop him. If you play a guy in too many places - like Ohio State did with Browning - you can develop very well. Versatility can be a curse that way.

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think he's destined for an inside backer role.

fightinredantz

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We do need an edge, and there is no guarantee that Von comes back next year.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Edge or ILB - pick one and play him

Draft Crazy

Supporting Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 56,911.82
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside Parson (who fall off our draft board) this is really who I was expecting at ILB for us. He has a ton of upside and while he has been inconsistent he has also shown those flashes of his 5 star ranking coming out of high school. If you are Browning you have to be super excited that Fangio is the guy who will be helping to develop the talent that is bottled up inside this guy. This is a great pick at the end of Round 3 because while we may never see his FULL upside hit... We know he has it, and at the very worst I think his downside is still a quality NFL player... This is a perfect Round 3 pick. A guy who has a ton of talent and at the same time pretty sure at worst you are going to get a decent LB in Browning even if he never see his full upside hit stride in the NFL. (I think I just repeated myself 3 times in this statement but you get the point)

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Outside Parson (who fall off our draft board) this is really who I was expecting at ILB for us. He has a ton of upside and while he has been inconsistent he has also shown those flashes of his 5 star ranking coming out of high school. If you are Browning you have to be super excited that Fangio is the guy who will be helping to develop the talent that is bottled up inside this guy. This is a great pick at the end of Round 3 because while we may never see his FULL upside hit... We know he has it, and at the very worst I think his downside is still a quality NFL player... This is a perfect Round 3 pick. A guy who has a ton of talent and at the same time pretty sure at worst you are going to get a decent LB in Browning even if he never see his full upside hit stride in the NFL. (I think I just repeated myself 3 times in this statement but you get the point)
I was a little resentful of some scouting reports describing him like he was an idiot (doesn't seem to diagnose plays very fast - gets lost easily etc). Ohio State did him no favors by how they threw him into all kinds of positions. I do think he will be a perfect development project for Fangio. His old school district was a client of mine and he did very well in HS. Great guy too!

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

PumpFake

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3