• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Broncos Remaining Schedule

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
It's going to be interesting to see how the Broncos fare in their last seven games. Most think that they need to go 5-2 to have a shot at the playoffs. Curious how Broncos Country feels about these games:

Cleveland - Will be a tough out but we're playing at home and they have a rookie QB. Edge: Even
Houston - CJ Stroud is on fire and the Texans are playing in front of their home crowd. I don't like this game. Edge: Even
LA Chargers - Just placed Joey Bosa on IR. Leaves Mack on his own to some degree. Herbert can sling it and Ekler is tough. Edge: Even
Detroit - On the road. Well balanced, tough opponent. Edge: Lions
Patriots - The Belichick Patriots are not the Tom Brady Patriots. Edge: Broncos
LA Chargers - See above but played at Mile High. Edge: Broncos
Raiders - I think this will be a tough road contest but I'm not impressed with their QB situation. Edge: Broncos

I think the Broncos have a shot at 5-2 in these last 7 games but it won't be easy. I'm thinking closer to 3-4 or 4-3.

nflbronco

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They moved Hou game to 11 I think 4-3 is most likely. Unless we get 3 plus turnovers every game.

MileHigh64

Broncos Fanatic
Hoopla Cash
$ 3,033.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They moved Hou game to 11 I think 4-3 is most likely. Unless we get 3 plus turnovers every game.

That's pretty much my thinking. The Broncos can win all of these games but realistically, I'm also around 4-3 due to:
  • Our inability to stop the run
  • The offense is stuck in 1st gear
  • The defense can't continue to deliver the incredible pace of takeaways

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am really curious how they keep this going. The Browns are a beatable team but they are also a formidable opponent. So it's hard for me to look past this game at the remaining schedule. I do think they can play another tight one against the Browns. Win a 23-20 type game and improve to 6-5. But that remaining slate beyond that is just relentless. No easy wins, even the Patriots.

Also, the Packers just took out the Lions yesterday. Just a reminder that these guys are all good. In the NFL even the bad teams are insanely good. So anything is possible.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One thing I just checked is some league-wide defensive rankings. The Broncos defense is now 30th in PPG. This is quite frankly incredible given the way the season started. With the Commanders putting up 35 and the very next week the Dolphins doubling that up, it seemed like it would be a foregone conclusion this unit would finish last in scoring defense. But they're not, and that's a testament to the turnaround. It's also a reminder that cumulative stats can be misleading. I haven't filtered out the data but I'd be willing to guess the Broncos scoring defense since week 3 is hovering right around a top-10 position.

Total defense the team is still ranked 32nd, but that is still a somewhat skewed stat. The run defense, also skewed simply because of the outlier high 350 yards rushing allowed to the Dolphins, remains an area of concern. That continues to give up a lot on the ground and the ranking isn't wholly a product of an outlier game but a continued failure to stop the run.

Overall the turnaround from week 3 until now has been nothing short of remarkable. I remember after week 2 saying "I've seen all I need to see out of Vance Joseph." And that was BEFORE the Dolphins game. And somehow this guy has turned this unit into a respectable unit. The run defense is still a big concern, and I know a lot of people keep saying we can't rely on them to keep generating turnovers. Maybe that's true about the turnovers, but we do see this a lot in the NFL. Teams that generate turnovers tend to (wait for it...) generate turnovers. That Tebow defense did. The 2015 unit did.

And ultimately the scoring stat matters the most. Since week 3, even with the run defense remaining a concern, the Broncos scoring defense has been hovering around 20.5 PPG, and that's even better at 17 PPG in the 4 game win streak.

I cannot say enough how incredible this turnaround has been. It's definitely one of the more impressive same-season turnarounds we've seen for any team in a long time.

Let's see if they can finish the job now!

LGM

6 Time Poster of the Month
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't finish the job, was it really a turnaround?

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If they don't finish the job, was it really a turnaround?

I suppose that depends on how we define "finish the job." Right now I say 9-8 is the minimum. But if they win that 9-8 becomes 10-7 and a playoff spot. They win again and it's 10-7 and a playoff win...

And so on...

Duffman

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,535.51
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year to me was all about changing the perception of the Denver Broncos, a playoff berth isn’t needed for that to happen but I think 7 wins minimum is.

Denver has shown even losing 70-20 that they aren’t just ok with rolling over to die anymore so while playoffs would be nice Sean Payton has definitely changed how this team operates.

With a full year under his belt I think next year is playoffs or bust at minimum though.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
This year to me was all about changing the perception of the Denver Broncos, a playoff berth isn’t needed for that to happen but I think 7 wins minimum is.

Denver has shown even losing 70-20 that they aren’t just ok with rolling over to die anymore so while playoffs would be nice Sean Payton has definitely changed how this team operates.

With a full year under his belt I think next year is playoffs or bust at minimum though.

I agree, this year is about stopping the bleeding. I think 9 wins is the minimum for that but I'll assess at the end of the season.

Mingo

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next two games are the toughest - Cleveland and Houston. If the Broncos win those two games - they will be in the playoffs.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The next two games are the toughest - Cleveland and Houston. If the Broncos win those two games - they will be in the playoffs.

They'd certainly be one of the hottest teams in the game on the heals of those wins. It's fun to talk about this stuff again. Really excited to see what they can do against the Browns tomorrow. That's a very good team but they are beatable.

DJ

Generic line for rent here
Supporting Member Level 3
Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all have a fairly easy schedule and can easily be in the WC race if you continue to play like you have the last 4 games.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Y'all have a fairly easy schedule and can easily be in the WC race if you continue to play like you have the last 4 games.

I don't see it as an easy schedule at all. From MH64's original post:

Cleveland - Will be a tough out but we're playing at home and they have a rookie QB. Edge: Even
Houston - CJ Stroud is on fire and the Texans are playing in front of their home crowd. I don't like this game. Edge: Even
LA Chargers - Just placed Joey Bosa on IR. Leaves Mack on his own to some degree. Herbert can sling it and Ekler is tough. Edge: Even
Raiders - I think this will be a tough road contest but I'm not impressed with their QB situation. Edge: Broncos

Obviously the next 2 are pretty stout looking as well as the Lions just beyond that. Obviously any team can beat any team, so I will never count out worst case scenario. But even an optimistic Broncos fan acknowledges 2-2 over the next 4 weeks is a very real possibility as quite frankly, not a bad outcome. But that would make the final 3 must wins. I think the Broncos would be able to handle the Patriots. But the Chargers and Raiders to close out would be a tough challenge. Assuming the Broncos are 8-7 heading into those final games they likely would be on the fringe of the playoffs, depending on how the rest of the league shakes up. They very likely would need wins to make the playoffs and their division rivals would know it.

I think my expectations change a little with every passing week, depending on the results. A win this week would significantly boost my confidence. But still, I don't think there is anything easy at all about this schedule going forward.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't see it as an easy schedule at all. From MH64's original post:

Obviously the next 2 are pretty stout looking as well as the Lions just beyond that. Obviously any team can beat any team, so I will never count out worst case scenario. But even an optimistic Broncos fan acknowledges 2-2 over the next 4 weeks is a very real possibility as quite frankly, not a bad outcome. But that would make the final 3 must wins. I think the Broncos would be able to handle the Patriots. But the Chargers and Raiders to close out would be a tough challenge. Assuming the Broncos are 8-7 heading into those final games they likely would be on the fringe of the playoffs, depending on how the rest of the league shakes up. They very likely would need wins to make the playoffs and their division rivals would know it.

I think my expectations change a little with every passing week, depending on the results. A win this week would significantly boost my confidence. But still, I don't think there is anything easy at all about this schedule going forward.
Cleveland will be the toughest followed by Houston maybe. GB exposed Detroit and how you can beat them.

I expect you guys to beat the Pats. The Chargers could be a split but I think you could sweep them also. Staley is a bad coach.

And while I would love to sweep the Broncs we could lose that since you guys are playing a lot better right now.

DJ

Hoopla Cash
$ 13,296.14
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
10-7 might be unrealistic but I think 9-8 is possible and that puts you guys smack dab in the middle of the WC race.

iknowftbll

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I definitely think 10-7 is possible. I'm just a little hesitant to pick out who they beat and who beats them. Honestly I believe 12-5 is still possible, though I recognize that's a tall order.