• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

10,000 Posts for a Flyers Cup in 2019

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listed to the Meltzer/Therien podcast that Hextall was on, sounds like he's thinking along the same lines. Talked a lot about term when they were discussing Simmonds' potential contract. "Teams out there that are willing to go term, we have to be careful with term" ish.

Sounds promising.
I' agree with seeing how the team is doing at the deadline as well as Simmonds. Why rent the player you already have and if they are out gets assets...

FlyerFinFan

Long Member ; )
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
From NHL.com:

What they still need
Improved penalty killing. The Flyers have ranked in the bottom third of the NHL on the penalty kill the past four seasons, including 29th last season (75.8 percent), and were 80.0 percent (20-for-25) in six games against the Pittsburgh Penguins in the Eastern Conference First Round. The 217 power-play goals allowed the past four seasons are nearly a quarter (24.1 percent) of all the goals they've given up since 2014-15. The Flyers like to expand their box and pressure the points, so one solution could be giving more shorthanded ice time to younger, speedier forwards Scott Laughton, 24, and Taylor Leier, 24. They killed penalties early in the season, but coach Dave Hakstol eventually shifted away from them and became overly reliant on slower Jori Lehtera and Filppula.
Whatever they do it has to be fixed it's ridiculous. Haks will be forced to use youth now I hope as it can't be worse...

mall3013

SportsHoopla's #1 Bucknut
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.04
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Morning boys! Slow times these days in the NHL. This morning I was just going through some random stuff on the web, and in particular kind of digging through some of my memories as a kid. I came across this clip on the tube and hit just STRUCK me hard. Reliving the tragedy of my favorite all time goalie Pelle Lindbergh. I remember this sppech given by Gene Hart and how teary eyed I was when all of this happened. It was a very dark few days for everyone, not just for the FLyers fanbase.. Everyone in the hockey world. I go back and think what would Pelle's career been if he lived a longer life and retired from the NHL? Like I have said on this board before, the 80s for me was my most memorable era.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I' agree with seeing how the team is doing at the deadline as well as Simmonds. Why rent the player you already have and if they are out gets assets...
I agree with Awaz on waiting to see what Simmer will be worth at the deadline. What i dont agree with is losing him for nothing.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with Awaz on waiting to see what Simmer will be worth at the deadline. What i dont agree with is losing him for nothing.

So consider this hypothetical then. The Flyers are 2nd in Metro at the trade deadline. Comfortably making the playoffs. Simmonds is healthy and on pace for 25 goals. What do you do then?

Maverick426h

Junior Mint
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So consider this hypothetical then. The Flyers are 2nd in Metro at the trade deadline. Comfortably making the playoffs. Simmonds is healthy and on pace for 25 goals. What do you do then?

Trade him out west. If we're not getting what we want, I would also consider letting it ride into the playoffs and then not re-signing him. That's a pretty bad season for Simmonds, when healthy, and the kids are coming.

Last edited:

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen to offers leading up to the deadline. I would think we would be able to get some help on the PK which is still going to be terrible and some draft picks.This of course would be the least we could get for a 25 goal scorer. Thats if he wouldn't sign the extension at the price AND YEARS we would like him to sign at

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Listen to offers leading up to the deadline. I would think we would be able to get some help on the PK which is still going to be terrible and some draft picks.This of course would be the least we could get for a 25 goal scorer. Thats if he wouldn't sign the extension at the price AND YEARS we would like him to sign at

That's very much a "sell" type move at the trade deadline then. If you move Simmonds for a PK-er and draft picks, the on ice product will probably go down and you'll be less competitive for a cup.

In that situation, I would rather the Flyers be making 'buy' type moves. 2nd place in a good division, you're a good team. Trade some draft picks for the PK-er that you need. Keep Simmonds for the run and let the chips fall where they may in the offseason.

EVille3

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
In this situation I hang on to Simmonds and buy at the deadline. I want a healthy Simmonds on the team in the playoffs if for nothing more than leadership and toughness. Then see how it plays at the end of the season and so be it.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That's very much a "sell" type move at the trade deadline then. If you move Simmonds for a PK-er and draft picks, the on ice product will probably go down and you'll be less competitive for a cup.

In that situation, I would rather the Flyers be making 'buy' type moves. 2nd place in a good division, you're a good team. Trade some draft picks for the PK-er that you need. Keep Simmonds for the run and let the chips fall where they may in the offseason.
Since we arent winning the cup anyway why would we keep him and lose him for nothing. If we actually have a shot at the cup i could see keeping him but losing him for nothing even though everyone says next year isn't our year to win the cup why keep him and get nothing

Last edited:

Chris p Bacon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Since we arent winning the cup anyway why would we keep him and lose him for nothing. If we actually have a shot at the cup i could see keeping him but losing him for nothing even though everyone says next year isn't our year to win the cup why keep him and get nothing
Were bucking the odds and winning it all this year.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

To me, the JvR signing signifies a changing of the mentality. It's time to start at least preparing to win cups. To me, that means it's time to start making playoff runs. It's not time to go crazy and trade Carter Hart for a rental at the deadline, but it is time to start trying. If they're in 2nd in the metro at the deadline, i'm looking to add help. Whether it's PK or in net, i'm looking for a deal that makes sense. Likely for someone who is UFA July 1, 2019, but i'm willing to part with future pieces to get help. To win cups these guys are going to need some playoff experience. It's time to start getting it IMO.

As Hextall and other people within the Flyers have said, for the 2018-19 season to be a success, they need to at least win a playoff round. And I firmly believe they can do it, maybe even 2. They're top 6 up front should be as good as just about anyone in the league. Their top pair should be as good as anyone in the league. That's a lot of pieces in place to start thinking about contending.

lasgop8

Lets do this!
Hoopla Cash
$ 900.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
To me, the JvR signing signifies a changing of the mentality. It's time to start at least preparing to win cups. To me, that means it's time to start making playoff runs. It's not time to go crazy and trade Carter Hart for a rental at the deadline, but it is time to start trying. If they're in 2nd in the metro at the deadline, i'm looking to add help. Whether it's PK or in net, i'm looking for a deal that makes sense. Likely for someone who is UFA July 1, 2019, but i'm willing to part with future pieces to get help. To win cups these guys are going to need some playoff experience. It's time to start getting it IMO.

As Hextall and other people within the Flyers have said, for the 2018-19 season to be a success, they need to at least win a playoff round. And I firmly believe they can do it, maybe even 2. They're top 6 up front should be as good as just about anyone in the league. Their top pair should be as good as anyone in the league. That's a lot of pieces in place to start thinking about contending.
You are really relying on JVR to have an exceptional season. I dont think you are but i hope your right. I also dont think he is the difference between making the jump to getting past the first round.I hope you are right though.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You are really relying on JVR to have an exceptional season. I dont think you are but i hope your right. I also dont think he is the difference between making the jump to getting past the first round.I hope you are right though.

It's not just him that I'm relying on (keep in mind they were the 6th youngest team in the NHL last season). He's just the indication that 'the process' is turning a corner. He's the first significant addition to the team that didn't come from inside the organization in Hextall's tenure. To this point, Hextall has added guys like Bellemare, Vandevelde, Fillpula, Lehtera, to the roster. Bottom of the lineup players at best. JvR is a legitimate 30 goal scorer and was one of the best free agents available. Clearly Hextall thinks it's time to take some steps forward.

In addition to JvR and his potential to score 30 goals and 50ish points. I expect Konecny to play the majority of the season in the top 6 this year instead of spending the first half in the bottom 6, for the most part not contributing. In the second half he scored at a 67 point pace. Nolan Patrick scored at a 43 point pace in the second half. If those 3 guys can perform the way they did last season, that's 50 points from JvR, 20 more points from Konecny, and 13 more points from Patrick for a total of 83 additional points. To an offense that was already good. Add in the fact that Patrick is having his first injury free offseason in 2 years and I think 43 points is a conservative number for him. So even if Giroux and Voracek fall off a little, these guys can pick up the slack. Simmonds is coming off one of his worst years and should bounce back as well. The offense should be dynamite next season.

On defense, Provorov entering year 3, Ghost entering year 4. Both should continue to improve. Ghost received Norris votes last year and most people think Provorov is the real #1 guy on the defense. So they potentially have 2 dmen at least in the Norris conversation. Sanheim should take another step forward and get real minutes this year. And when he was paired with AMac last season, they were actually a pretty solid pair. Which leaves Gudas, Hagg, Myers, and Folin to make up a 3rd pair. Which should also be good considering Gudas, Hagg, and Folin have all played top 4 minutes at some point in their careers. Defense should be fantastic at the top and at least good the rest of the way.

PP should be a force. First unit always has been, now the 2nd unit will have enough talent to be a force too. PK will suck. Goaltending will be a concern. But there's a hell of a lot to be excited about a team that was only 7 points behind the Stanley Cup champs last season.

awaz

Hoopla Cash
$ 191.67
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Plus, the addition of JvR likely means Lindblom and Simmonds will be the wings on the Flyers 3rd line. And all but guarantees Raffl will be on the 4th line. Not long ago Simmonds and Voracek were the only 2 good wingers the Flyers had and Raffl played half the season with Giroux and Voracek on the top line.