• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Unpopular Fantasy Opinions

TREFF

Fantasy Football Guru--??
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't have permission to view this page or perform this function.

What does that mean?
I read the context, since the first post and second post were in separate pages, I didn't get the connection, and thought the point per yard on FG's was is own separate "unpopular" idea...once I looked again and it made sense, I deleted my post :)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Only issue with a negative stat on offense is less ABs helps your cause.

But you know I like a guy who makes contact.
so what, thats what the other categories are for...

JMO, but when using categories you should be measuring a skill... what bothers me so much in fantasy is HR, RBIs and Runs is all the same or at least a similar skill set.... thats why i want only one power ONLY stat...

I think the major skills for an offensive player(in no order)

1. Speed- best stat is SB
2. Patience- Best stat BB
3. Power- Most fun stat is HR
4. how often you get a hit- definition of BA
5. Contact rate- best stat SO

and baseball is about how many runs a team scores, more runs= win... so Runs should be included...

so thats why those would be my 6 stats... and if 5 then i take off SO since i consider that the least important of all the skills since an out is already accounted for in BA...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I read the context, since the first post and second post were in separate pages, I didn't get the connection, and thought the point per yard on FG's was is own separate "unpopular" idea...once I looked again and it made sense, I deleted my post :)

I was really confused as to why I couldn't respond to you.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
so what, thats what the other categories are for...

JMO, but when using categories you should be measuring a skill... what bothers me so much in fantasy is HR, RBIs and Runs is all the same or at least a similar skill set.... thats why i want only one power ONLY stat...

I think the major skills for an offensive player(in no order)

1. Speed- best stat is SB
2. Patience- Best stat BB
3. Power- Most fun stat is HR
4. how often you get a hit- definition of BA
5. Contact rate- best stat SO

and baseball is about how many runs a team scores, more runs= win... so Runs should be included...

so thats why those would be my 6 stats... and if 5 then i take off SO since i consider that the least important of all the skills since an out is already accounted for in BA...
Why the emphasis on SBs?

For instance this past seasons Orioles didnt steal as many bags as their thirdbaseman did the year before, by himself. (This year he was 0-3)no sense in putting baserunners at risk of giving up an out, when you hit more home runs than any other team.

Speed was cancelled out by team strength, coaching decisions and style.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id take OPS instead of walks or homers.

Tells a bigger story, yet is simple.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why the emphasis on SBs?

For instance this past seasons Orioles didnt steal as many bags as their thirdbaseman did the year before, by himself. (This year he was 0-3)no sense in putting baserunners at risk of giving up an out, when you hit more home runs than any other team.

Speed was cancelled out by team strength, coaching decisions and style.

there is hitting and then there is base running... yes it is not necessary true that the best baserunners are stolen base guys, but stolen base is the best base running counting stat... But most importantly it brings another skill into the game and doesn't make Power hitters the only valuable fantasy player...

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Id take OPS instead of walks or homers.

Tells a bigger story, yet is simple.

I would be ok with XBH instead of HRs... but i know taking HRs away from fantasy is wrong... it is not only chicks who love the long ball...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
there is hitting and then there is base running... yes it is not necessary true that the best baserunners are stolen base guys, but stolen base is the best base running counting stat... But most importantly it brings another skill into the game and doesn't make Power hitters the only valuable fantasy player...
I don't disagree there.

You have to find a balance somewhere or if you go back and apply the numbers to past seasons Dave Kingman could be the best player. (This was how I used to tinker with scoring when I commished a baseball league.)

And a lot of my personal favorite baserunners aren't fast and don't swipe many bags. But I don't have a stat that could show who grades out where.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Closer to bringing doubles into the fold....

but doubles and triples are already taken into account... they are a hit, and generally you are more likely to get a run when you are at 2nd or third than first...

and i feel like my format already balances everything out enough that if you went XBH instead of HR then HR hitters might be too undervalued...

But either way i hate OPS as a fantasy stat...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
but doubles and triples are already taken into account... they are a hit, and generally you are more likely to get a run when you are at 2nd or third than first...

and i feel like my format already balances everything out enough that if you went XBH instead of HR then HR hitters might be too undervalued...

But either way i hate OPS as a fantasy stat...
Why hate OPS?

It wraps so much together. Freeing up other spots.

Triples aren't a great Roto stat to me. You can't really pursue them they just show up every now and then. A handful of guys will be league leaders but you can have a guy who's an elite doubles hitter (or Extra base in general)that doesn't have 20 triples in his career. Cuz he knows he's already in scoring position. (Little fast guys go for third too often imo. It's almost pointless sometimes. You aren't stealing home.)

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why hate OPS?

It wraps so much together. Freeing up other spots.

Triples aren't a great Roto stat to me. You can't really pursue them they just show up every now and then. A handful of guys will be league leaders but you can have a guy who's an elite doubles hitter (or Extra base in general)that doesn't have 20 triples in his career. Cuz he knows he's already in scoring position. (Little fast guys go for third too often imo. It's almost pointless sometimes. You aren't stealing home.)

i don't want to tie things in one stat... they are different skillz(z for fun), they should be measured separately...

and OPS takes over 3 categories IMO, BA, BB and HR/SLG... Plus, i don't think OPS is a great real life stat, since it overvalues walks and is mathematically inaccurate(can't add 2 stats with different denominators).... Plus i dislike SLG% and the weights it gives to each type of hit.... I don't think a HR is 4 times better than a single or 2 times better than a double...

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i don't want to tie things in one stat... they are different skillz(z for fun), they should be measured separately...

and OPS takes over 3 categories IMO, BA, BB and HR/SLG... Plus, i don't think OPS is a great real life stat, since it overvalues walks and is mathematically inaccurate(can't add 2 stats with different denominators).... Plus i dislike SLG% and the weights it gives to each type of hit.... I don't think a HR is 4 times better than a single or 2 times better than a double...
Lol.

It's just the sum of two numbers. Not the sum of two ratios. This is like me knocking WAR.... Larry Literal.(is there a stat for SLG that uses plate appearances rather than at bats?)

Slugging isn't about things being better, it's total bases in a ratio format. Bases per at bat en sech. But homers definitely skew things.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Lol.

It's just the sum of two numbers. Not the sum of two ratios. This is like me knocking WAR.... Larry Literal.(is there a stat for SLG that uses plate appearances rather than at bats?)

Slugging isn't about things being better, it's total bases in a ratio format. Bases per at bat en sech. But homers definitely skew things.

thats fine, but my post was 2 part, why i don't like it for fantasy, then i said i didn't like it in real life too....

Lets just go back to the reason i don't like it in fantasy... that is because i don't like one stat that measures multiple skills... would prefer each skill to be measured separately...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument over categories just makes me wanna say how much better points is.

MilkSpiller22

Gorilla
Hoopla Cash
$ 89,217.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The argument over categories just makes me wanna say how much better points is.

I have problems with points... Part of what I love about fantasy is the balance of a team... points just demands the best players, you don't have to strategize about what type of players you need...