• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your thoughts on Hester.

brian mclaren

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i think lovie smith listened to the media and bears nation and tryed to give hester the ball more.
just another flaw lovie smith had the guy was a moron to the highest degree.
:10:

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Naw getting the ball in Hesters hands was a great ideal, 10 plays a game. Trying to make him a full time WR was just stupid.

brian mclaren

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
your right noon 100 pct couldnt agree with you more.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would def agree with AverageJoe but would also like to include that Hester brought this upon himself. He was the one who wanted to be included into the offense so the staff gave him the opportunity because of his playmaking abilities. However he completely failed on his own to be the productive wr he could have been. Coaches could teach you how to catch or teach you how to run routes but you got to really learn how to do those things on your own time, something I dont think Hester took too seriously at all.

I also think he really screwed the mental side of his game trying to become a WR for a crappy offense. Before playing WR, his return game was spot on and he was untouchable and showed no fear at all. When he started playing WR he realized how the big boys play the game and became very timid and showed some fear out there. No WR should be diving to the ground and running out of bounds to avoid getting hit and that carried over to his return game as well and messed with his decision making. As an NFL Pro you should know your own abilities and what your role is on the team and Hester tried to go beyond what he was capable of doing.
Having Drake as his WR coach did nothing for him. Been here 9 Years and did not develope 1 WR. I Repeat NOT 1 . Go ahead and blame Devin.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@ Pride : Don't disagree w/ most of your arguement. But coaches are threre for a reason. DRAKES been our WR coach for 9 yrs. Name 1 guy, who he made famous. There aren't any. He could not teach Knox to stay on his toes when making a cut ( most high school coaches know that). He also could not teach Hester or Knox how to beat bump & run or press coverage. But he was lovies buddy. He was the first guy I wanted to see get fired.

touchdownhester

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hester will have a career year this year as a returner once again showing he's the best . Let the man do what he does best

C

cubzzzfanincali

you know, given that Trestman is installing a "WRs don't read just run your routes offense", since that is simpler, it might actually make a lot more sense to use Hester as a WR finally. Hester's problem has always been his route decision-making. Now that it is a go-woth-the-concept-damn-the-defensive-coverage scheme, he might actually thrive in that.

Although it seems we aren't going to find out. C'est la vie.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
you know, given that Trestman is installing a "WRs don't read just run your routes offense", since that is simpler, it might actually make a lot more sense to use Hester as a WR finally. Hester's problem has always been his route decision-making. Now that it is a go-woth-the-concept-damn-the-defensive-coverage scheme, he might actually thrive in that.

Dude stick to baseball because your lack of football intelligence is showing a lot. I dont care what offensive system you are in if you are a WR you are reading the defense. You have to be able to read the defense to see if its cover 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 so you know what route you are running on that play. You have to know where the defense is so you know whether to sit in the hole or keep running your route to get open. Every single player on the field reads the other side of the ball.

C

cubzzzfanincali

apparently, you are unaware of the major change Trestman has made in the reciever scheme this year.

That's not my problem, it's yours, so stop being a douche.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

:agree:With your thoughts there Cali. Just don't think the confidence Devin & Jay have in 1 another, would ever work.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Dude stick to baseball because your lack of football intelligence is showing a lot. I dont care what offensive system you are in if you are a WR you are reading the defense. You have to be able to read the defense to see if its cover 0, 1, 2, 3 or 4 so you know what route you are running on that play. You have to know where the defense is so you know whether to sit in the hole or keep running your route to get open. Every single player on the field reads the other side of the ball.
I actually read the same thing Cali did. Less read-and-react: Bears increasing tempo after the snap | CSN Chicago.
@ Pride quit trying to be the biggest dick on the beach. We are all here to talk football. You can agree or disagree a better way.

C

cubzzzfanincali

:agree:With your thoughts there Cali. Just don't think the confidence Devin & Jay have in 1 another, would ever work.

True. They obviously lack chemistry. I'm just saying that with a simpler scheme where there is less pressure on the receiver to make decisions, it would have been better for Hester that way.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
“Every team has universal routes, even if they don’t read coverages, where they have to make adjustments,” Trestman said. “We line up and we have an assignment, but of course if if they give us something, we have to ‘break’ the routes our we’re going to give the quarterback nothing.”

anotheridiot

There will always be someone to blame......
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
My take on Hester has to do with the politics of football.

He was historically awesome when it came to returns. Lovie and Angelo realized that he was a game-changing player on special teams and decided to give him a fat pay-raise and insert him into the offense. It was a nice plan that got the fans buzzing.

I can't fault them for wanting to put Hester into the offense. He was one of the Bears most exciting players. But keep in mind that Angelo and Lovie essentially did nothing else to improve the offense. That's not where their expertise was.

I agree, maybe he did have poor separation, and ran some poor routes. (Maybe that's why he was drafted as a DB.) Still, Cutler would be on his back or running for his life even when Hester wasn't on the field. Hester became another causality of a severely neglected offense.

The problem the bears had was Angelo knew he needed to pay hester, he was worth 8 million a year to just continue being a returner, but they needed a way to justify paying him that much. So they basically signed him to a 4 year 30 million dollar deal, but added the clause if he became a top 5 receiver, he would receive a 10 million dollar bonus. Bears took that to justify an average of 7.5 million a year for a guy that might be involved in 5 plays per game. Hester wanted that 10 million, to prove he was a complete player, and knew if he got hurt he would lose that money, so more often than not he found sidelines on returns. He should have realized with Lovie and Jay not wanting hester to have the spotlight, it was never gonna happen. This year he knows it will never happen and knows his future depends on him returning for touchdowns.

Its gonna be interesting when they race the cheetah to see if Devin still has that speed.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
With all the pouting Hester did at the end of last season, I was mildly surprised he came back. Hopefully, he can have a re-emergence with new coaches/style of offense. My gut says he will be more productiveat WR and especially on STs (I liked Toub, but Bears got a great ST coach in Joe D) than weve seen the last few years.

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Trestman has a few specialty plays built in strictly for Hester which I doubt he does, he will not play a snap on the offensive side of the ball.

blh7068

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Unless Trestman has a few specialty plays built in strictly for Hester which I doubt he does, he will not play a snap on the offensive side of the ball.

Interesting. I must have missed some news along the way. Probably for the best, but Id rather not see a roster spot burned exclusively for that- unless he regains his return dominance. :rollseyes:

DaBearsShowPride

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Interesting. I must have missed some news along the way. Probably for the best, but Id rather not see a roster spot burned exclusively for that- unless he regains his return dominance. :rollseyes:

Ya it was within the first 2 weeks when he got that he said Hester was going to remain just a return man and so far he has kept his word. Between training camp practices and the Family Night Practice he did his stretching with Special Teams, Wore Special Teams practice Jerseys and not once stepped near the offense as if he was going to run a play. However even though it is practice verse ourselves, he looks like he is more confident in the return game.

63bears40

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
:lol:You been living in a cave, since you left ESPN?