• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Ideal Off-Season?

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What's it look like for you?

In a dream, we get rid of Hackett without getting rid of Marrone and we hire Trestman or Chan Gailey as offensive coordinator. Both struggled bad as head coaches, but when their only pressure is the offense, I feel that both could shine. We also have a much more fit offense to Gailey's system now than we did when he was here.

^^ That's just a dream though, I think Marrone saved Hackett's job when he took over playcalling responsibility.

Top Needs
1.) Veteran QB
2.) TE
3.) D-Line depth (DT specifically)
4.) O-Line depth
5.) One more DB (nothing too amazing, but something that adds a decent bit of talent.)
6.) RB (Spiller should walk and Freddie won't be here forever, unfortunately.)

Notable Contract Expirings
DE, JERRY HUGHES: I love Hughes, I think all Buffalo fans do. But he's going to get overpaid, and that's the downside. Personally, I say no more than 5 years, 40 million at the absolute most. He's a fast, athletic defensive end that we can find almost anywhere and for cheaper. Worst case, he walks, we play a 3-4 defense and have Manny Lawson be that 4th pass rusher. If he's asking too much, he's not worth the money. However, when you have a scary good defense like we do, he'll get overpaid to try and keep our defense in tact.
VERDICT: Re-sign him unless he asks for a crazy amount. Likely 5yrs/$45M up to 5yrs/$53M. He'll be overpaid.

RB, CJ SPILLER: Let him walk. Our running backs were weak, but Bryce Brown played as good as Spiller did. We did need to bring Spiller back on the contract he's going to be asking for, unless we can get him for something like 3yrs/$12M or 4yrs/$16M, let him go. Kind of sad, I liked Spiller, but he's definitely not worth the money.
VERDICT: < 4yrs/$16M or let him walk.

S, DA'NORRIS SEARCY: Searcy has done very well for us, and has been very underrated. I definitely think we should bring him back, but he may be a lot like the McKelvin contract a couple years back. He'll get slightly overpaid, but he'll be locked up and not too overly bad of a price. McKelvin resigned for 4 years, $20 million. Hopefully we can get Searcy around 4 years, $15-$17 million.
VERDICT: Bring him back, 4yrs/$16M.

WR, CHRIS HOGAN: Relatively quiet player, we'll probably be able to bring him back for cheaper than what he's worth. He doesn't have a beautiful NFL skill set, but he's certainly proved that he can still compete. We should bring him back, especially if it's for as cheap as it seems like we can get him for.
VERDICT: Re-sign him, 3yrs/$8M.

G, ERIK PEARS: Paid too much for his age right now. Make him take a severe paycut, or show him the door. No negotiations, no settling inbetween. We can't afford to overpay a crappy, old, mediocre interior lineman. Bring him back on the infamous Chris Williams contract, 4yrs/$13M.
VERDICT: Re-sign him for <4yrs/$13M or let him walk.

DE, JARIUS WYNN: He played solid to start the season, but his play faded away as the season went on. Hopefully we can bring him back cheap, similar to the Hogan contract I said above.
VERDICT: Re-sign him, 3yrs/$8M.

LB, BRANDON SPIKES: The market for this big, run-stopping linebacker is fading away. Spikes loves it here in Buffalo, we love Spikes here in Buffalo. I think it's a definite that he's coming back, the question is just at what pay rate? I think it's another short contract similar to what he came in on.
VERDICT: Re-sign him, 2yrs/$8M.

Draft: In the draft I want a key TE, we need someone that can play as an athletic pass catching TE in the spread offense. Especially if we follow through with Manuel, we ran a nice spread, hurry-up offense with him. Not too mention, just in general it'd be nice for Manuel to have someone like Martellus Bennett, Greg Olson or even an average one like Fleener or Ertz compared to Chandler. He's not that great of a catcher, a consistent big TE for Manuel would help. We also need to address line depth on both sides of the ball. And then of course a young quarterback for a back-up situation of not finding a veteran and Manuel failing.

ROUND TWO: TE, DEVIN FUNCHESS - MICHIGAN/S, GEROD HOLLIMAN - LOUISVILLE
We need that tall, athletic, pass catching tight end that I brought up. Funchess is perfect for that, especially if he falls right to us in the second round. This pick may be too good to be true though, which brings in the second scenario of Holliman. If we were to get Funchess, we target a S in free agency. If we get Holliman, we target a TE in free agency.

ROUND THREE: RB, JEREMY LANGFORD - MICHIGAN STATE
If you miss out on one of Mariota, Winston (I don't want on the Bills, but if he falls he may be worth it), Hundley or Grayson you wait another round or two to see who falls out of Mannion, Petty, and Kessler. You don't jump at one in this round.

ROUND FOUR: QB, CODY KESSLER - USC/QB, BRYCE PETTY - BAYLOR
I haven't watched either of these guys play, but regardless of if they can be NFL talents or not, you've got to take a shot on one of the two. From a stat-watchers perspective, Kessler looks pretty good. You've got to take a QB here.

ROUND FIVE - SEVEN: DEFENSIVE TACKLE, O-LINEMAN AND A DEFENSIVE BACK
All three positions could use depth, but we may have to go to free agency to find key role playing talent in one of them. Although, we did find Henderson in the 7th round last year.

FREE AGENCY: After the draft, we're still looking to fill a veteran QB spot, TE/S, and we want to add a little depth on both sides of the line. I'm not sure how much cap space we'd have left at this point, but a couple of signings that I think would help;

QB, MARK SANCHEZ: As I was saying in a thread on the NFL main forum, why not? It makes perfect sense for Buffalo to give him a shot, give him a short leash and see how he does. He's won before, so at best case he could take the Bills atleast to the playoffs. We were just relevant with Kyle Orton at QB and a terrible offense up until week 16. If Sanchez can go out there and throw it around a little, what happens? Cutler is likely going to Tennessee, RGIII may be staying, and anyone who says Drew Brees is lost in a pipe dream. The price is too high even if they were willing to trade him. So what's left as options?

TE, CHARLES CLAY/CB, ANTONIO CROMARTIE or FS, RAHIM MOORE
Depending on who we take in the draft, one more pass catcher or another talent in the secondary would do great things for the team. We could make great use of any of these three players, all would boost the offensive or defensive unit respectively.

G, ANDY LEVITRE
Some sources are saying that Levitre may be cut by the extremely disappointed Titans. The guy did fantastic for us, he was a great lineman and a great player. I don't think Levitre to Buffalo is something very likely to happen, but if it could happen for cheap, we could use the lineman depth.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And then the biggest dream, although not very clear and reasonable, would be to chase after Darelle Revis. It doesn't make much sense (leaves us without much cap room for whatever we don't get in the draft), but our defense would go through the roof and we would just have to have a strong offensive draft and hope we don't miss him when it comes times. QB, TE, Lineman in the 2nd-4th, and this could possibly be pulled off. That's just me drinking the kool-aid though, very doubtful.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not interested in Gailey ever being around a football field in Buffalo again. Pass on Trestman too.

I like the idea of Cromartie. He had a real bounce back year with AZ this year.

I like Mark Sanchez better than EJ Manuel, but hate Mark Sanchez. He's not the answer. But can they do better? There aren't a lot of great options.

Bryce Petty if they can land him in the 4th round would be a great pick. The draft is not going to answer many needs though. At least we won't have to worry about the Bills screwing up another first round pick again.

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Two guards are on the top, next to QB. I think Charles is a good DT3. And I see nothing wrong with Chandler with Gray behind him.

I wonder what the Eagles will do... I'd like Foles, I think. Sanchez doesn't seem right. Then there is RG3, but he seems fragile for Buffalo. What will Washington do? We'll have to wait it out.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hiring Ryan makes that little footnote dream of Revis a tiny bit likelier

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing happens without a QB. Reports are out now that Nick Foles could be made available. This would be a major upgrade and could be what the Bills need. The Rams are listed as interested. Hopefully, GM Whaley isn't on the golf course.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Nothing happens without a QB. Reports are out now that Nick Foles could be made available. This would be a major upgrade and could be what the Bills need. The Rams are listed as interested. Hopefully, GM Whaley isn't on the golf course.

I would assume that Mike Glennon would be made available as well. Tampa looks set to pick a QB at #1, with McCown to bridge to the new QB.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rather have Foles, but I agree Glennon would be an upgrade as well. Who sees Buffalo trading their 2016 first rounder to Tampa for Glennon?!

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Why would you want Glennon? He's worse than what we already have in Manuel

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Release CWilliams he was a waste to begin with. Sign two veteran guards I want to see if Henderson improves.

I want to see Gragg get full playing time he has impressed me with his spot duty.

As far as QB I would like Bradford or Glennon Bradford would be a FA and Glennon would only take a late round pick to aquire. If Foles becomes available (which I don't see happening unless Eagles trade up for the Oregon QB) I would take him over everyone. I wouldn't mind seeing EJ, Roman made Kap look respectable when the running attack was the focus in SF I say let him try it with EJ.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be excited about Glennon, but I think he's a clear upgrade over EJ. He's looked better in approximately the same sample size. He's thrown 13 more TDs and has a better QBR and has been on a far inferior team.

EJ being compared to Kaep is not really a good analogy. EJ was supposed to be some kind of running threat, but just watching him run you see he's nowhere near the threat Kaep is. EJ looks big and lumbering, Kaep is like a flash when he takes off. EJ also barely averaged more than 10 rushing yards per game.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Release CWilliams he was a waste to begin with. Sign two veteran guards I want to see if Henderson improves.

I want to see Gragg get full playing time he has impressed me with his spot duty.

As far as QB I would like Bradford or Glennon Bradford would be a FA and Glennon would only take a late round pick to aquire. If Foles becomes available (which I don't see happening unless Eagles trade up for the Oregon QB) I would take him over everyone. I wouldn't mind seeing EJ, Roman made Kap look respectable when the running attack was the focus in SF I say let him try it with EJ.

Bradford will only be a FA if he doesn't rework his contract this offseason.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are that the Bills will in fact be pursuing Revis

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wouldn't be excited about Glennon, but I think he's a clear upgrade over EJ. He's looked better in approximately the same sample size. He's thrown 13 more TDs and has a better QBR and has been on a far inferior team.

EJ being compared to Kaep is not really a good analogy. EJ was supposed to be some kind of running threat, but just watching him run you see he's nowhere near the threat Kaep is. EJ looks big and lumbering, Kaep is like a flash when he takes off. EJ also barely averaged more than 10 rushing yards per game.

They do have a similar skill set though Kap has a better down field arm. I was mainly saying with the correct system he made Kap be a serviceable QB. I think that I what EJ needs.

elijah

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,097.50
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reports are that Buffalo is about to sign Incognito.

I like this, that's talent for the offensive line that we can use and hopefully it leads to one of our multiple overpaid guards getting cut.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I have no idea whether we should be excited about Incognito or horrified. Perhaps if he promises not to speak all season he could be a nice addition.

Don't get me wrong...after seeing the two biggest DB, low-character squads in the Super Bowl I've stopped caring if Buffalo loads their roster with high character guys...but Richie is in another universe. Fingers crossed...

TKOSpikes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Eh. He's been here before. I'm not scared. I was mad when he left.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Rex wants to bully teams, so Incog's your man, lol. Hopefully he's gotten his head straight after screwing up his first 10 or so chances.

David_son

I'm so confused
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
NFL.com has The Sanchize coming to Buffalo and CJ signing with the Jets because of Gailey. That just seems like lazy reporting to me.

johnson

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Jets do need a RB so I could see that happening. Sanchez...not so much. I sure hope not.