• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Your Def Top 4?

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
So all this talk about camp, OTAs, contracts and such. I was curious right now who your top 4 on defense would to to resign? I keep going back and forth on this, but right now my top 4 are:

1-HT: One of the best LB in the league. He is getting better too. Great vs the run and can cover pretty decent. Would be a huge hit if this team let him go. If he can stay on the field for 16 games, this defense is going to beast!!

2-Sheard
: As of right now, he is the best PR we have. Would love to see him in a full time gig across from Long. This might change if Long can get back to form and he wants to stay, Flowers, Johnson, Grissom step it up.

3-Butler: If he has another yr like last yr, he is going to move up. You can't let that type of talent walk again, esp at his age. Law, Revis, I get why they didn't bring those guys back. Can't let him go. If he can lock down a spot for 5 yrs, then good.

4-Collins
: He is a freak of a player, but I think he is going to get paid more than anyone on this list. I think he is still around another 2 yrs, they could FT him. I love his game rushing and getting after the ball carrier, but he struggles in coverage. I honestly think Shea was signed to replace him if he walks.

Now of course this can and prob will change. So....your Top 4?

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Can't argue with Creep. I think you're pretty much spot on.

NWPATSFAN

Hoopla Cash
$ 236.27
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the players. But if you're ranking them in importance of keeping them this is my list.

1. Butler a top 5-10 corner. Quality CBs hard to find. He's a RFA I believe. Get a deal done now and lock him up for four year. NE has a lot of cap room in 17.
2. Collins you already listed his attributes. He could command big ducks so need to try and lock him up before he hits FA. Would hate to have to tag him.
3. Hightower not sure what he will command on the open market? Love him but he is more easily replaced as opposed to the two above him.
4. Sheard I need to see what he does this year combined with the rest of the FAs.

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Bill doesn't plan to sign them or talks to their agents and decides that they'll be too expensive or not in the Patriots value system, he'll trade them. That's going to leave a lot of people with really sour tastes in their mouths. The Patriots will be more than $60M under the cap next year. No reason on God's green earth that at least 10 of the possible 16 free agent Patriots can't be resigned.

May be time for Johnathan Kraft to start taking a bit more control of the player financing decisions.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins is the most likely to go. He is going to get big offers on the market and he hasn't made any money yet on the Patriots. We will offer him a lot of money but it won't be enough.
Butler needs to be signed soon. If we wait, and he has another good year, he'll be very expensive.
We blame the players for money-grubbing but they all have agents.

SDGuy73

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,159.39
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Collins is the most likely to go. He is going to get big offers on the market and he hasn't made any money yet on the Patriots. We will offer him a lot of money but it won't be enough.
Butler needs to be signed soon. If we wait, and he has another good year, he'll be very expensive.
We blame the players for money-grubbing but they all have agents.

If everyone was in their position.....we'd be money-grubbers too. Just because a guy signs a $50mil contract that doesn't mean he gets $50mil. Taxes are a mofo.

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If everyone was in their position.....we'd be money-grubbers too. Just because a guy signs a $50mil contract that doesn't mean he gets $50mil. Taxes are a mofo.

I always wonder how much players factor that in when considering deals. I remember when Charles Woodson was trying to figure out between the Broncos and Raiders where he would sign to close out his career the Raiders offered more money but with taxes he actually ended up making less. Just have to wonder if agents point that out or if because agents know they have their salary based on gross income instead of net income that it is just better to keep their mouth shut.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I will say this, the easiest one of the bunch to sign now is Butler. I think he would take a very, very friendly deal to stay here. The Patriots were the only team to call him and give him a chance. He seems like a really nice and level headed kid who is loyal. I think even giving him a raise will make it easier to sign next yr if need be. They have to get to some of these guys before they hit the open market. Butler just seems like the easiest piece.

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree that Butler would be more willing to accept a discount vs market price but i feel like the Patriots dont like paying corners. How good is he, really? He'll be a RFA so I see the Patriots using the first round tender on him next offseason which is under $3 Mill for one season. I forgot about him Being restricted which definatly simplifies things.

Last edited:

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Sort of why I have Butler at 3rd. NE just does not go there. Maybe they will this time because the might be able to get him at "their" price...who knows.

bunchofpixels

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Would a team be willing to give up a first for him next off season?

cdumler7

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Tough call...An outside perspective but I would say probably not. It isn't just that you are giving up a 1st round pick but then you are also having to pay the player big time money. So we are talking about a cap controlled 1st round pick given up for now a guy you are paying $12-15 million a year. 2nd round pick I could see it but 1st would be tough unless it is a bottom of the round type team in desperate need of a top Corner and they have a ton of cap space.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Butler?? I think NE will tender him a 1st rd pick and pay him an increase. I mean if some team wants to give NE a 1st rd pick for Butler, then please do so. BB is waiting for your call. He is tech under NE control for the next 2 yrs. I think they give him a pay raise and work out a deal, esp if he does it again this yr.

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler will be signed to a deal before long unless he wants top dollar. If he does, we won't break the bank for him.
NE has done extremely well with UDFA's in the past but when the best of these have left, they settled into average. L loved Butler BEFORE the SB interception. Nobody is irreplaceable.....

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Butler will be signed to a deal before long unless he wants top dollar. If he does, we won't break the bank for him.
NE has done extremely well with UDFA's in the past but when the best of these have left, they settled into average. L loved Butler BEFORE the SB interception. Nobody is irreplaceable.....

They should give him a raise, then tender him next yr where he will get another raise. Try and sign HT and Collins, then move onto Butler after next yr. Can always tag him, but I think that tag can be used on HT/Collins/Sher

Southieinnc

Do Your Job!
Hoopla Cash
$ 9,623.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They should give him a raise, then tender him next yr where he will get another raise. Try and sign HT and Collins, then move onto Butler after next yr. Can always tag him, but I think that tag can be used on HT/Collins/Sher

What could we get for Collins in a trade? hmmmmm

BigKen

Day to Day
Hoopla Cash
$ 500.68
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Depending on the team, might be able to get a 1st round plus. Problem is, who would you want to trade him to?
Preferably the NFC. Try signing him now, give him a big bonus and medium sized contract. Something like $20M signing bonus and 5 years $35M. That would roll out to $11M a year but the $20M up front guarantees him a huge payday and saves his ass if he get a bad injury.

CreepCreep2014

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I think you get close to what you got for Chandler Jones. No team is going to give away a 1st rd pick for a 2nd rd guy who's deal is up. Might be a different story if he was signed for reasonable money for the next 6 yrs. So I don't see him going anywhere. Patriots have a ton of cap space next yr, around 60m (cap goes up every yr from here on out). They should be able to extend these guys no problem. The thing is, the more they wait, the bigger the contracts get for guys outside of NE. I think the Marshall deal in Den is a good starting point for both HT and Collins, and I think the Marshall dead is at a reasonable price.