• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Youkilis, Lahair, Headley

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Headley also has 150+ points of OPS outside of San Diego... This is something that is consistent over the last 4 years... So it is not a one season fluke... get him out of SD and his numbers will go up across the board...

He is quite a bit better than Walker IMHO... partially because he walks twice as much..Partially because he has a tick more power

I expect Headley to have 20+ homeruns and 100+ walks this season... Very hard to find someone that can bring these things to a team... Of Course he is nowhere near as valuable as McCutchen... but if he was on the bucs with a .850 OPS hitting homeruns and getting on base... He would be a key part of this offense and this team.

Alone I would not give up a top prospect for Headley....I say that because Headley by himself is not enough to get the Bucs into the post season...I suggested a trade where the bucs got Quentin also... Combined there is enough offensive upgrade to make it a good possibility they get into the post season... And for that I would think you might give up one of your better prospects.

i agree with your eval of headley and thanks for the numbers.
how long is he still under control.
not as excited about quentin,
we do need a bat that we can have for 4-7 years when our other key pieces are matured and really able to make a sustained run.
still wouldnt give up the 3 big pitchers as they are what people are always looking for and overpaying for, including us. see correia, bedard, burnett(altho pleasantly surprised) and many other stiffs around the league.

magnumo

ESPN Refugee
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Reply to Illinest

I can only read half of the conversation here but I think that Chase Headley compares to Neil Walker in a lot of ways.
They both have similar defensive value, they both debuted at 23 w/ their first full season at 24. They have similar career OPS right down to similar OBP and SLG figures as well. They're both switch-hitters.

- Yes..... right on target. Would I expect another team to give up a prospect like Taillon or Cole for Neil Walker? Under most circumstances, no.

- No worries..... you're missing nothing of value.

ramburgh

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Between now and the trading deadline we are going to see what this management can do.

Hanrahan is a tough trade piece when the Pirates are trying to make their team better. Only contenders will trade for a closer and contenders aren't going to give up a hitter who can make their team better so what does that leave? Possibly someone who is blocked, but that most likely means someone without little major league experience. I don't think I trade my closer (during the middle of a playoff run) for someone without much major league experience. I think it is best to hold onto Hanrahan and trade him in the off-season.

I don't like the Youkilis rumors. I don't know why anyone would consider trading Hanrahan for him. He is on the downside and not having a good year. That trade would be terrible. I think Youkilis would be more of a salary dump for the Red Sox and giving them cheap depth such as Correia would be a more realistic trade.

I really like the Chase Headley rumors. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but his paternal grandparents and a large portion of the Headley family lives in NWPA. I think he would love playing in Pittsburgh. He is at the right age/point in his career to fit in with the Pirates roster. The Pirates could move Pedro to first or move Headley to several positions including shortstop. I wouldn't give up any up the top 5-7 prospects for him, but would consider just about anyone beyond that including major leaguers like Lincoln, Tabata and Presley.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Between now and the trading deadline we are going to see what this management can do.

Hanrahan is a tough trade piece when the Pirates are trying to make their team better. Only contenders will trade for a closer and contenders aren't going to give up a hitter who can make their team better so what does that leave? Possibly someone who is blocked, but that most likely means someone without little major league experience. I don't think I trade my closer (during the middle of a playoff run) for someone without much major league experience. I think it is best to hold onto Hanrahan and trade him in the off-season.

I don't like the Youkilis rumors. I don't know why anyone would consider trading Hanrahan for him. He is on the downside and not having a good year. That trade would be terrible. I think Youkilis would be more of a salary dump for the Red Sox and giving them cheap depth such as Correia would be a more realistic trade.

I really like the Chase Headley rumors. I don't know if it has been mentioned, but his paternal grandparents and a large portion of the Headley family lives in NWPA. I think he would love playing in Pittsburgh. He is at the right age/point in his career to fit in with the Pirates roster. The Pirates could move Pedro to first or move Headley to several positions including shortstop. I wouldn't give up any up the top 5-7 prospects for him, but would consider just about anyone beyond that including major leaguers like Lincoln, Tabata and Presley.

Is anyone seriously saying that? Because they're on crack if so. Didn't know that about Headly, certainly interesting, and if he can move to SS? Oh that'd be awesome. Not sure that Lincoln would garner the same return these days as he would've a few years back though...

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The thought of headley at shortstop makes me want to Vomit... Maybe when he was 19... not now!!!

Headley is a good defensive player... but Shortstop is a lot different than first base *LOL*....

itsneon

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
I would never give up on pedro at this point. He has an Ops around 800 with tremendous upside. Why bench him for a player that has an ops of 800 with limited upside. He has to much power and can carry a team on his back for a week or two. He has attributed singlehandedly to several wins this year. We have no other option and have a ton of money invested in him. He is still a baby by major league standards. He probally should still be in indy, but the pirates have no other production from that spot. I know how painful it is too watch him when he is off, but when he is on, he is amazing to see him hit. It is mental with him and I hope Pittsburgh can figure him out, I would hate to see another failed prospect move to another team and turn into an all star(Vogelsong and Batista). Just my two cents.

Illinest

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Headley can play corner outfield. He wouldnt push alvarez to the bench. If theyre both hitting then they both play.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Headley could play ss, he would have been his entire career. He can play the hell out of third base, though.

Also, I do like the NW/Headley comparison, seems dead on.

Headley isn't worth Taillon/Cole/Bell/Heredia, but I would entertain trading Marte/Grossman along with one of the mid ranked ranked pitchers, McPherson, Locke, Owens, and some other throw ins.

element1286

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Headley can play corner outfield. He wouldnt push alvarez to the bench. If theyre both hitting then they both play.

True, but he is really good at third base, not so much in the OF. I'd probably push Pedro to first.

This seems like a deal that is more likely in the offseason though.

sychmd

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
headley at third and pedro at first, with a rejuvenated mcgehee to back both up would be great.
how long is he locked up for if we get him.
still wouldnt give up taillon, cole, heredia, marte, bell, owens.
the padres usually dont ask for much in trades it seems.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Headley is starting to get expensive... Maybe, maybe the pirates could pull a trade where they have 3 days to work out an extension with Headley.. He is 28 right now.. ideally you do not want him more than 2-3 years.. Most players are in decline by the time the season where they are 31 is done...A extension that lasts this long reduces risk and give the Bucs control of Headley while he is close to the prime of his life and career.

thecrow124

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Twitter

I just find this humorous, nothing like covering all the bases Rosenthal. Seriously, "Signs point to White Sox, Pirates or another club." Could have saved some Twitter space and just said "Signs point to a team."

thedddd

Hoopla Cash
$ 201.37
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would love a move now for Headley but not to give up a top prospect. Youkilis only if it is something like how they got Burnett. NH is looking smart on that one right now.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@JonHeymanCBS
Deal for youkilis is in works. Late talks involved #chisox. But new team is not yet confirmed.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
@DKnobler
White Sox appear to be the most likely destination for Youkilis. As of yesterday, White Sox were haggling over the money with BOS.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Name plate in BOS is gone, clubhouse source says ChiSox.

pixburgher66

I like your beard.
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
If Headley were the return, would you put Tabata in that deal? Not sure if SD would take that, but the Pirates have such OF depth through the system, and when you look at it, with Marte pushing for a spot, Tabata could be the odd man out. Obviously Headley is an OF too, so it's not really not a trade off of much there in terms of space on the roster.

Etrius24

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Tabata is not an integral piece to this team... I would trade him for Headley. There is still a chance Tabata's bat will develop into something useful..As of now he is not a great player or even a really good one... So it is not a major loss..

But he is young and does have some time left to mature...So there is some potential for it to work out for the Padres.

I would do it and have no regrets... But I think that another bat would be needed...I do not think Headley is enough offense to get this team to win the division... unless Pedro hits 40 jacks