• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

You guys see this

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One off year due to injures and we are forgotten as a def club. BS, well be top 10.

nebearsfan70

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. Don't get me wrong, I think the Bears D will improve, but they will not be a top 10 unit next season.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. Don't get me wrong, I think the Bears D will improve, but they will not be a top 10 unit next season.

Can't say they won't be with certainty, but absolutely it would be silly to outright predict such a turnaround without seeing any proof of it on the field.

Even if things do turnaround in the blink of an eye in the NFL. Whether it be for good, or for bad. Last year, it was a quick turn for the worse. Hopefully, this year we can see our fortunes do a flip-flop on the D side.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What killed us last year was injurys. Now we got back our players and have added a few good ones. I expect a very good def myself. We fell off because of injurys not lack of quality starters. I don't see why we don't bounce right back.

NCChiFan

Argumentum artifex
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys clink the linky there to the 10 best offenses for 2014? Da Bears actually make that list.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys clink the linky there to the 10 best offenses for 2014? Da Bears actually make that list.
I missed that, I'll have to go check that out.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
What killed us last year was injurys. Now we got back our players and have added a few good ones. I expect a very good def myself. We fell off because of injurys not lack of quality starters. I don't see why we don't bounce right back.

That was not a top ten D before the injuries struck. Looked like a middle of the pack defense. Serviceable, but quite pedestrian. They got no rush on Dalton in the Cincy game, got beaten up on quite a few drives by a bad Vikings offense in week two, and looked abysmal in the second half vs PIT in week three. All before Melton went down and kicked off the injury spiral.

They were an average D up until the NYG Thursday game when DJ went down. When Briggs and Tillman followed the next week vs WSH… yeah… you saw what happened from there.

I rambled, as usual. But the point is, that was a middle of the pack D even before the inures hit. Peppers drop off hurt, and our D-line was pretty bad regardless. Melton accounted for one assisted tackle in his three games prior to injury. It didn't look good.

Peter Gozintite

NO!...but yes.
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 103,499.99
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys see where Calvin Johnson said the Lions need to win a superbowl, and have the coaching staff to do it?

HAHA-LOL-GIF.gif

and someone on defense said a championship is in the Lions DNA?

sanford-and-son-group-laugh-o.gif

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Did you guys see where Calvin Johnson said the Lions need to win a superbowl, and have the coaching staff to do it?

HAHA-LOL-GIF.gif

and someone on defense said a championship is in the Lions DNA?

sanford-and-son-group-laugh-o.gif

Why is it that someone in that organization makes a dumbass statement prior to every year? Is it the constant inexperience of actually winning anything on that team, that prompts them to say this shit? I swear...

Remember the four years that Roy Williams and Jon Kitna kept guaranteeing playoffs and victories and always fell on their faces?

One of the funniest quotes of all-time was when Roy Williams guaranteed a win vs the Bears in week 2 of 2005. The Bears POUNDED the Lions 38-6, game was over at halftime. After the game, during an interview at his locker; "That was our game to win. I have no doubt. We left 30-40 points out there on the field today.

LMAO… what a dope that guy was.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
We left 30-40 points out there on the field today.

lol that was great.

Brees#1

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
One off year due to injures and we are forgotten as a def club. BS, well be top 10.

You were not top ten before the injuries. You allowed yards but were getting turnovers and returns.

C

cubzzzfanincali

That was not a top ten D before the injuries struck. Looked like a middle of the pack defense. Serviceable, but quite pedestrian. They got no rush on Dalton in the Cincy game, got beaten up on quite a few drives by a bad Vikings offense in week two, and looked abysmal in the second half vs PIT in week three. All before Melton went down and kicked off the injury spiral.

They were an average D up until the NYG Thursday game when DJ went down. When Briggs and Tillman followed the next week vs WSH… yeah… you saw what happened from there.

I rambled, as usual. But the point is, that was a middle of the pack D even before the inures hit. Peppers drop off hurt, and our D-line was pretty bad regardless. Melton accounted for one assisted tackle in his three games prior to injury. It didn't look good.

I thought the D played well against Cinn and Minn (remember two of the TDs in that game had ZILCH to do with defense). The fundamental problem with last year's defense was obviously depth. Every defense suffers injuries, and when ours came, we didn't have next men up to do a serviceable job. This was discussed last year during the preseason as being a worry, and sure enough it bit us in the ass hard.

I would agree that the 2014 Bears D probably couldn't be called Top 10 even before the injuries, but the real weakness wasn't the week 1 starters, it was the depth chart.

This year will be interesting to see if it works. Defensive line chemistry is going to make or break this team.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

The big thing I keep coming to...WHO Freakin CARES... Why does Chicago HAVE to be identified as a "GREAT DEFENSE"? Cause it's our "history"? cause it's the "Chicago Way"... I could really give a crap if they are ranked #1 or #17.... while we can't be what we saw last year... I don't need "Monsters of the Midway" I just want a serviceable d that can get off the field when needed and get a few turnovers. No more giving up 200 yards rushing would be good. I don't need them to lead in any defensive category or stat- just be serviceable.

Also- PRESEASON predictions and guesses don't mean shit- Many of the talking heads on ESPN and other sports sites always just push last years playoff teams and perennial probowlers like Rodgers, Brady, Manning. Going to be a fun season.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big thing I keep coming to...WHO Freakin CARES... Why does Chicago HAVE to be identified as a "GREAT DEFENSE"? Cause it's our "history"? cause it's the "Chicago Way" No because we had a very good def before the injury's hit and there is no reason we won't have a very good def again. The goal is to win and only teams with good defenses do that. You can keep the it's a passing league now BS because as always the defensive team is the one holding the prize at the end. No team in history has won a championship without a very good defense. And no team ever will. Denver's offense set new records, but did they win? nope. Give me a great D over a great O any day of the week.

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You were not top ten before the injuries. You allowed yards but were getting turnovers and returns.
How many points do you get for yards allowed? We gave up tons of yards and few scores and I'll take that all day.

JoeyTourettes

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big thing I keep coming to...WHO Freakin CARES... Why does Chicago HAVE to be identified as a "GREAT DEFENSE"? Cause it's our "history"? cause it's the "Chicago Way"
No because we had a very good def before the injury's hit and there is no reason we won't have a very good def again. The goal is to win and only teams with good defenses do that. You can keep the it's a passing league now BS because as always the defensive team is the one holding the prize at the end. No team in history has won a championship without a very good defense. And no team ever will. Denver's offense set new records, but did they win? nope. Give me a great D over a great O any day of the week.

So... The Bears and all their great defensive teams from the Lovie Smith Era... They won multiple Superbowls right? We've seen that already. It would be nice to have...but I don't think we need the 85 Bears D, the Ravens D, or even the Seahawks of last season. If they can be in the top HALF of the league we're good. Winning is the only thing. That's my point- I took your original post as if they needed that "top 5 defense" I have a feeling that some Bear fans wouldn't be happy if we won every game 35-28. Cause it's not "The Chicago Way" Just win. I don't care how.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
How many points do you get for yards allowed? We gave up tons of yards and few scores and I'll take that all day.

Yeah… well… problem is, when you give up "a ton" of yards. That tends to translate to "a ton" of points. I've never seen a team finish near the bottom of the league in yards allowed, and near the top in points against.

richig07

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The big thing I keep coming to...WHO Freakin CARES... Why does Chicago HAVE to be identified as a "GREAT DEFENSE"? Cause it's our "history"? cause it's the "Chicago Way"... I could really give a crap if they are ranked #1 or #17.... while we can't be what we saw last year... I don't need "Monsters of the Midway" I just want a serviceable d that can get off the field when needed and get a few turnovers. No more giving up 200 yards rushing would be good. I don't need them to lead in any defensive category or stat- just be serviceable.

Also- PRESEASON predictions and guesses don't mean shit- Many of the talking heads on ESPN and other sports sites always just push last years playoff teams and perennial probowlers like Rodgers, Brady, Manning. Going to be a fun season.

Dude, no one on this board is this "super fan" Bears SNL version of a fan that you keep claiming that EVERY single Bears fan on the face of the planet is. No one gives a fuck about the "Chicago way" or being identified as a "Great Defense". So, just stop with that.

Having a really good defense CLEARLY helps teams win in not just this league, but in the game of football in general. SO I am absolutely baffled as to why you're so shocked that a team's fans wants to see their team have a good defense. Like it's some kind of absurd and off of the wall thing.

I want to see this team have a top 10 defense, because I want them to contend for a SB title. Look at 3 of the 4 final four teams last season. SF, NE, and SEA. All had top defenses and ran the ball very efficiently. Yes, our weapons in the passing game are undeniable. However, you still have to play defense if you want to win in this league. Is it possible to win a SB with a "serviceable" defense… sure. However, if this defense is just middle of the pack, and the offense is great. I'd say it's far more likely we're headed for a fun 10-11 win regular season, and a playoff exit after maybe a win in the wild card or divisional round.

Which would be fine, and I wouldn't be upset. That would be an improvement for this team. Although, the ultimate goal is win a championship. And losing in the playoffs sucks regardless.

So, the point is. Stop acting like Bears fans are some strange anomaly, and are a bunch of beer drinking dumbasses because they; god forbid… want their team to have a "good defense". Who the hell wants that anyway? :L