• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

WR Amari Cooper or Kevin White?

ksudodger

Unofficial board GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Good player, but we don't "need" him, we need offensive lineman, without them, having Cooper is pointless!:(

Which is why I said if we figures ways to fortify the line in free agency (Iuapti,Carpenter,Franklin,Hudson,Wisnewski,Free) THEN we can look to picking one of those two. But if we sign mid level dudes like Davin Joseph, we HAVE to pick a lineman in the first 2 rounds.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why people are so quick to assume that since OL is a major need, it needs to be handled in the first round. It needs to be handled intelligently. If the OL holes are handled solely through the draft, Bradford won't be healthy long. 3 rookies along a 2nd year LT and Saffold at one of the G spots isn't going to do the trick, especially early in the season. There is solid depth in this OL class, so if the Rams go a different direction in the 1st, they can still add solid OL prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (or potentially even later if given time to develop with a veteran addition to bridge to the rookie).

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why the common assumption is that since OL is a major need, it needs to be handled in the first round. It needs to be handled intelligently. If the OL holes are handled solely through the draft, Bradford won't be healthy long. 3 rookies along a 2nd year LT and Saffold at one of the G spots isn't going to do the trick, especially early in the season. There is solid depth in this OL class, so if the Rams go a different direction in the 1st, they can still add solid OL prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (or potentially even later if given time to develop with a veteran addition to bridge to the rookie).

Free agency should be to fill holes, while the draft is to add talent. In a perfect world of course, as some holes will be left for the draft.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't understand why people are so quick to assume that since OL is a major need, it needs to be handled in the first round. It needs to be handled intelligently. If the OL holes are handled solely through the draft, Bradford won't be healthy long. 3 rookies along a 2nd year LT and Saffold at one of the G spots isn't going to do the trick, especially early in the season. There is solid depth in this OL class, so if the Rams go a different direction in the 1st, they can still add solid OL prospects in the 2nd and 3rd rounds (or potentially even later if given time to develop with a veteran addition to bridge to the rookie).

And there is no guarantee that Cooper or White will translate to the NFl, I don't care if we take 10 Olineman in this draft, maybe one or two will become all pros. Our oline has been a mess this entire CENTURY! one FA will help, but that's not going to fix it! Maybe you have noticed, there are rookie Olineman that step in and start right away and do well, maybe we luck out and get at least two of those types. I'm fine if we have two rookies starting that do an average job, because that would still be better than what we had last year!

I've watched drafts and have come away disappointed that we didn't take the "sexy" skill position pick! We have young up and coming WR's and we can't get them the ball, what will change with Cooper or White?

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Our oline has been a mess this entire CENTURY!
I guess my observation with that is if the Rams have been able to run the football all of the years but haven't been able to pass the football then is it mostly on the oline or is it mostly on the QB?

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I guess my observation with that is if the Rams have been able to run the football all of the years but haven't been able to pass the football then is it mostly on the oline or is it mostly on the QB?

I don't think the rushing game has been that good. Has it even been top 20 in recent years? I know it was pretty much last Sams first couple years. I bet Kurt Warner would agree that a great OL is important in the passing gm.

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't think the rushing game has been that good. Has it even been top 20 in recent years? I know it was pretty much last Sams first couple years. I bet Kurt Warner would agree that a great OL is important in the passing gm.
Obviously the OL is important. Its 5 out of the 11 guys on the field.

As far as I can tell, the Rams have been 16-21 in rushing the past few years and 18-27 in passing depending on a variety of ways you can measure it. Football outsiders ranking of the oline was 17-23 last year, 12-14 in 2013 and 14th in 2012. The oline has been outperforming the rest of the offense. QB play has kind of been a big deal.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

"you know it was pretty much last, Sammies first couple of years, lol

Try 25th and 23rd, that's not last, yes its closer to last than first, but really nowhere near last! and Sammies first year they had a guy that made ALL PRO, with over 1200 yards, could have been more but Sammie threw the ball more than every other team in the league except I think 4.

shopson67

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
And there is no guarantee that Cooper or White will translate to the NFl, I don't care if we take 10 Olineman in this draft, maybe one or two will become all pros. Our oline has been a mess this entire CENTURY! one FA will help, but that's not going to fix it! Maybe you have noticed, there are rookie Olineman that step in and start right away and do well, maybe we luck out and get at least two of those types. I'm fine if we have two rookies starting that do an average job, because that would still be better than what we had last year!

I've watched drafts and have come away disappointed that we didn't take the "sexy" skill position pick! We have young up and coming WR's and we can't get them the ball, what will change with Cooper or White?

I just want value for whatever pick they make. I would hate for them to draft OT at 10 if similarly valued players are available in the 2nd round. I definitely would prefer they trade down if a game-changer doesn't slide to #10.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

I'm not sure what the deal is, we haven't had a good QB for years now, but when I watch the Rams I don't see a whole lot of big holes being opened. I think Mason got a lot of his yards this year on his own, not because the line was giving him huge holes to run through. And the pocket collapsed quickly and constantly, that is on the oline!

Clayton

Hoopla Cash
$ 9,000.59
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I'm not sure what the deal is, we haven't had a good QB for years now, but when I watch the Rams I don't see a whole lot of big holes being opened. I think Mason got a lot of his yards this year on his own, not because the line was giving him huge holes to run through. And the pocket collapsed quickly and constantly, that is on the oline!
The oline was bad last year after being average for two years. The reason why Mason was drafted in the first place means that Jeff Fisher thought the oline was good, too. The Rams have had a hole at G for two years and last year the interior got so bad that the hole expanded to C and it took out the whole oline. Obviously the Rams need to address the oline but it doesn't have to be with pick 10

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The oline was bad last year after being average for two years. The reason why Mason was drafted in the first place means that Jeff Fisher thought the oline was good, too. The Rams have had a hole at G for two years and last year the interior got so bad that the hole expanded to C and it took out the whole oline. Obviously the Rams need to address the oline but it doesn't have to be with pick 10

But we don't need to Address our WR position either, so why draft yet another WR, we need to draft in areas that need to e addressed. As others have stated there are other WR's with talent that could be taken much later!I just don't see it as a need!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
But we don't need to Address our WR position either, so why draft yet another WR, we need to draft in areas that need to e addressed. As others have stated there are other WR's with talent that could be taken much later!I just don't see it as a need!

its best to draft BPA especially at 10. The fact we might get the first OT off the board at 10 kinda speaks for the talent at that position. If Scherff is gone already I definitely don't go Oline. Playmakers are usually harder to get as the draft goes on vs guards and centers. If we lose Britt WR becomes a need as well. I think Scherff will be like Saffold on a skill level. hopefully without the injuries. But we got him in the 2nd.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
its best to draft BPA especially at 10. The fact we might get the first OT off the board at 10 kinda speaks for the talent at that position. If Scherff is gone already I definitely don't go Oline. Playmakers are usually harder to get as the draft goes on vs guards and centers. If we lose Britt WR becomes a need as well. I think Scherff will be like Saffold on a skill level. hopefully without the injuries. But we got him in the 2nd.

Being able to draft BPA would be wonderful, if your team was good! So if the Colts were to draft and the BPA available was a QB they should take a QB, if Detroit was picking and BPA was a WR they should take WR.

Ya it didnt work for us with Jason Smith or Barron, it works that way sometimes, it also works that way with BPA, no one is a automatic hit no matter how much hype they have. You keep working on the oline and hope that it eventually works out for you!
Obviously we aren't guareeteed anything, we could take an Olineman in the 2nd round and a team that takes an Olineman in round 4 might get the better pick, so why not pick a lot of Olineman in the hopes that at least one maybe two turn out to be beasts?

I don't care if White or Cooper are there and they are the best player available, it's not helping us get better, we have already gotten better at the WR position!

ANGELAKERAMS

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
the draft is a crapshoot

there is no guarantee on any player. the last guarantee player was Luck and obviously that has worked out for the Colts.

there is no guarantee Cooper or White are going to be the next AJ or Megatron. the last time the Rams drafted a WR in the top 10 they swung and missed.

they just took GRob last year and we still don't know if he is going to work out.

the only players the Rams seem to draft well are defensive.

with offensive players, it's like they are throwing darts at a dartboard to make their choice and hope they hit bullseye.

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Being able to draft BPA would be wonderful, if your team was good! So if the Colts were to draft and the BPA available was a QB they should take a QB, if Detroit was picking and BPA was a WR they should take WR.

Ya it didnt work for us with Jason Smith or Barron, it works that way sometimes, it also works that way with BPA, no one is a automatic hit no matter how much hype they have. You keep working on the oline and hope that it eventually works out for you!
Obviously we aren't guareeteed anything, we could take an Olineman in the 2nd round and a team that takes an Olineman in round 4 might get the better pick, so why not pick a lot of Olineman in the hopes that at least one maybe two turn out to be beasts?

I don't care if White or Cooper are there and they are the best player available, it's not helping us get better, we have already gotten better at the WR position!

Yes there is no guarantee with picks but its best to stick with your board. A good example of why you draft BPA is last year when we took Donald. Dline was our strongest area and most people were like wth but he was the most talented guy on the board and a special player. that is how you build Quality depth. there are always injuries so depth is important. now you do use some common sense if you have a QB already most situations you don't pick another one because you can't pay top dollar for a back up QB. so you trade the pick like we did with RG3 or pick the next best player on your board. With your way if you picked 4 Oline what if only one was ok? you would be screwed and no improvement or depth anywhere else. thats reaching for a need which makes for bad drafts. I do agree the better your team is you can look at need picks more often but you don't want to do it to much. our WR's are better for sure and should be better this year with the experience. I would look at D if i didn't like an Oline at 10. LB or CB impact players that can change a game around like Ogletree or Jenkins

Last edited:

mutigers1fan

the SoCo kid
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
At the WR position I like Cooper the most by a lot. Like others have said though I don't know that WR is the pick so I really haven't looked at them much, just know what I saw on the field in the fall.

Smed55

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Yes there is no guarantee with picks but its best to stick with your board. A good example of why you draft BPA is last year when we took Donald. Dline was our strongest area and most people were like wth but he was the most talented guy on the board and a special player. that is how you build Quality depth. there are always injuries so depth is important. now you do use some common sense if you have a QB already most situations you don't pick another one because you can't pay top dollar for a back up QB. so you trade the pick like we did with RG3 or pick the next best player on your board. With your way if you picked 4 Oline what if only one was ok? you would be screwed and no improvement or depth
anywhere else. thats reaching for a need which makes for bad drafts. I do agree the better your team is you can look at need picks more often but you don't want to do it to much. our WR's are better for sure and should be better this year with the experience. I would look at D if i didn't like an Oline at 10. LB or CB impact players that can change a game around like Ogletree or Jenkins

Hey, I agree with you yet again, I was exaggerating as far as picking all oline! I agree we don't need WR, but I would be fine with LB, maybe another DB, but I think we aren't too bad there either!

27mtrcougar

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Hey, I agree with you yet again, I was exaggerating as far as picking all oline! I agree we don't need WR, but I would be fine with LB, maybe another DB, but I think we aren't too bad there either!

yeah our DB's are in pretty good shape but Jenkins and Johnson will be FA's in 16 so its a possibility.