• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

would you do this trade?

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
saw it on MLB network, Mitch Williams proposed it

Giants get Tulowitzski(however the fuck you spell it)

Rockies get Timmy.

opinions?

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The fact that I have to think about it maybe means it is a fairly even trade.

But that is one monster contract for Tulo. And I would not relish the prospect emotionally of having to face Timmy 3-4 times a year. Or having to boo him (like if he plunked Posey), or at best, cheer against him. That would just be wrong.

Maybe if they take Zito and his contract, too.

8^)

Last edited by a moderator:

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
at least with it, you know you're guaranteed to keep Tulo. we cant say the same about Timmy. but Timmy's my second favorite player of all time so its hard for me to say.

mistgl

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
They would have to take Zitos contract and all of Tims 40mil for me to even consider it.

He signed till he's 37, and unless he's as good as Jeter was at 37, that thing is gonna be an albatross. That being said, he would be a beast in the middle of our line up for at least 5 years, and teams have paid way more for such production.

But, since it came out of Williams mouth it will never happen. This is the same genius that thought Bum for Dunn was a fair trade in 2010, and the same R-tard that thought Bum for Reyes was a fair deal. I'm pretty sure he even suggested Bum for Hanley this OS... WTF is up with this dude in tying to make us trade Mad Bum?

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
i honestly cant stand Mitch. he's such a philly homer. but they were all proposing crazy trades and that was his. thought it was pretty interesting.

Mays-Fan

Unhyphenated-American
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,936.29
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
They would have to take Zitos contract and all of Tims 40mil for me to even consider it.

He signed till he's 37, and unless he's as good as Jeter was at 37, that thing is gonna be an albatross. That being said, he would be a beast in the middle of our line up for at least 5 years, and teams have paid way more for such production.

But, since it came out of Williams mouth it will never happen. This is the same genius that thought Bum for Dunn was a fair trade in 2010, and the same R-tard that thought Bum for Reyes was a fair deal. I'm pretty sure he even suggested Bum for Hanley this OS... WTF is up with this dude in tying to make us trade Mad Bum?

Also, if I had my druthers, I would avoid having any mega-contracts at all. Stuff happens to individuals - I would prefer to spread the risk. Ideally, for example, if we have a $130 million budget, I would pay like $7 million a year to 5 SPs, one closer, and like 10 position players. That's $112 million for 16 players. Four more relievers get $3 mill ea, and 5 backups average $1 mill each. At least that way, if someone gets injured or decides to suck, you aren't crushed with $13.6 mill or $20 mill of dead money.

If a player advances beyond what your budget allows, you trade him. So if we HAD to trade Timmy or Cain (and I am not advocating that we do), I would prefer to get 2 or 3 starting quality players, some SERIOUS prospects, or some equitable combination of the two. This, rather than trade him for an equally risky, all-eggs-in-one-basket kind of a player.

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
The biggest reason I say no is because it is an intra-division trade. I don't want to have to see Timmeh multiple times each year in a Rockies uniform.

I don't ever want to trade The Freak, but if he does go, I would hope that it would be for a player as good as Tulo - just as long at that player is in the American league somewhere.

tzill

Lefty 99
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,064.42
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the risk analysis: I don't want that much payroll tied up in one player. No contracts exceeding 5 years. And even then, you'd better be a Matt Cain to get a 5 year deal.

SFGRTB

Superstitious Fan
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would look more into Cano for Tim. Get's him out of our league and we fill an up the middle position with the best out there.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I would look more into Cano for Tim. Get's him out of our league and we fill an up the middle position with the best out there.

I can't remember the Yankees ever trading away a star player in his prime. I think Cano is pretty much untouchable. Also, Yankees starting pitching looks really strong right now, and they only have to wait two more years to pursue Lincecum.

Robotech

Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
As for the original question, I would say no. Like CameronFrye, my biggest issue is that it is an intra-division trade. It's usually a bad move to trade your best, most popular player to an intra-division team, especially with the unbalanced schedule and the fact that the Rockies are a team to look out for. Also, the Giants are blessed that they didn't have to commit long-term money to Lincecum. They might as well take advantage of that over the next two years. I wouldn't want the Giants to take on that Tulo contract that runs until he's 37.

msgkings322

Throbbing Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,700.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The biggest reason I say no is because it is an intra-division trade. I don't want to have to see Timmeh multiple times each year in a Rockies uniform.

I don't ever want to trade The Freak, but if he does go, I would hope that it would be for a player as good as Tulo - just as long at that player is in the American league somewhere.

Longoria?

calsnowskier

Sarcastic F-wad
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,400.09
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't remember the Yankees ever trading away a star player in his prime. I think Cano is pretty much untouchable. Also, Yankees starting pitching looks really strong right now, and they only have to wait two more years to pursue Lincecum.

Ricky?

That is the only one I can think of...

Heathbar012

Senioritis Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Longoria?

Both Evan and Eva? Yes. :peace: Seriously, though, I'd have to think about it, and I'd probably do it. However, I would be more in favor of filling multiple position-player-deficiencies with MLB-average talent, and grabbing a good pitching prospect (projected at least back-of-the-rotation starter).

It isn't as sexy as the "one big bat" that the Giants have been lacking, but the front office has to remember that giving up an ace means re-tooling the team. Since this team is built on pitching and the Beltran deal weakened the "pitching prospect outlook in the org" (not good or bad, just facts), if Timmy is traded, a B+ pitching prospect needs to come back to the club. Obviously, that isn't equal, so some MLB position players would be included, but certainly not elite everyday guys, like Tulo or Longoria.

Keep in mind, moving Timmy also frees up money (if they don't go after a perennial All-Star) as I believe he is/will be making more than a couple of average position players and a prospect or two. That money can be used for more depth/scouting/.

I'm definitely not advocating a Timmy trade, but if there was one, I would prefer a haul to one superstar coming back. Of course, I'll probably be the first complain if I don't deem the haul to be good enough for The Franchise. ;)

CameronFrye

Certifiable A-hole
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Both Evan and Eva? Yes. :peace: Seriously, though, I'd have to think about it, and I'd probably do it. However, I would be more in favor of filling multiple position-player-deficiencies with MLB-average talent, and grabbing a good pitching prospect (projected at least back-of-the-rotation starter).

It isn't as sexy as the "one big bat" that the Giants have been lacking, but the front office has to remember that giving up an ace means re-tooling the team. Since this team is built on pitching and the Beltran deal weakened the "pitching prospect outlook in the org" (not good or bad, just facts), if Timmy is traded, a B+ pitching prospect needs to come back to the club. Obviously, that isn't equal, so some MLB position players would be included, but certainly not elite everyday guys, like Tulo or Longoria.

Keep in mind, moving Timmy also frees up money (if they don't go after a perennial All-Star) as I believe he is/will be making more than a couple of average position players and a prospect or two. That money can be used for more depth/scouting/.

I'm definitely not advocating a Timmy trade, but if there was one, I would prefer a haul to one superstar coming back. Of course, I'll probably be the first complain if I don't deem the haul to be good enough for The Franchise. ;)

If the Giants traded for Evan, they would not need Eva. Evan is currently dating Playboy model Jaime Edmondson.

Edmondson >>>> Eva Longoria.

Saw it on Big League Stew.

Evan Longoria confirms he?s dating Playboy model Jaime Edmondson | Big League Stew - Yahoo! Sports

Seriously though. I agree with most of what you are saying. A trade of Evan Longoria for Timmeh would be a fair deal. But fair is not what the Giants would need if they traded the Franchise. They need to be a clear winner of a deal.

sfsportsfan

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
what the FUCK? shes wearing clothes in that pic.