• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would Mayhew get bashed for trading next year's picks?

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions could end up with multiple complementary picks next year, which is something that might become a factor in this upcoming draft. One of our fellow posters mentioned a situation where Mayhew may be willing to part ways with some of the original picks in 2016, as said comp picks would act as replacements.

Thats interesting if you ask me.

Would anyone here be opposed to it? Moving up in the second round is something Mayhew likes to do and could be the difference in the Lions getting one of the players/positions they are targeting. Those first 10 to 15 picks on day two always tend to offer some really good players. Tevin Coleman comes to mind or a nice CB.

I can't believe you're even asking this question. Of course he'll get bashed for trading any of next year's picks. I'm opposed to it though. If you trade next year's picks for picks this year you'll probably have to give up higher round picks or multiple picks. No one is going to give up their second round pick this year for our second round pick next year. It would have to be a second rounder and another pick next year or even worse a 1st rounder for their second rounder.

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not stupid as long as they make it count.
I assume we'll trade up in the second.

Id rather it be next year with less picks than this year with no 3rd, 4th or 5th. (Wouldn't have cared had what picks had we upgraded talent in FAgency.)

(Im also all for it being a RB that MM traded up to get. Don't want either of the first round targets as much personally.)

broncosmitty

Banned in Europe
Hoopla Cash
$ 16,206.54
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I can't believe you're even asking this question. Of course he'll get bashed for trading any of next year's picks. I'm opposed to it though. If you trade next year's picks for picks this year you'll probably have to give up higher round picks or multiple picks. No one is going to give up their second round pick this year for our second round pick next year. It would have to be a second rounder and another pick next year or even worse a 1st rounder for their second rounder.
I think the idea is our 2nd THIS year and a pick next year for a higher second rounder this year.

As we'd only have a 3rd, 6th and 7th to work with for picks this year in a trade.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think the idea is our 2nd THIS year and a pick next year for a higher second rounder this year.

As we'd only have a 3rd, 6th and 7th to work with for picks this year in a trade.

Yep.

If theres a player that we absolutely need and is graded high enough, Mayhew should absolutely try to move up in the second. After round one, I garauntee this board will be screaming for some player that may be out of reach for the Lions.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are in a horrible spot this year. You are looking at HUGE holes now on this team. DT probably ranks tied for third at this point.

Clearly o-line is #1. Look at that shit fest we have.

Everyone seems to think that Swanson has it all going on. His claim to fame is that he didn't suck when forced into action last year yet in the middle of a playoff run with Ravioli and Sims giving rim jobs to goats the Lions didn't bench them. Don't tell me that Caldwell doesn't do that cause he did with Fairley, even though it was preseason. And don't forget both those guys were going to be FA's, there was no risk of pissing off someone you needed to resign.

Not sure where to rank CB. Mathis has been serviceable but isn't getting any younger and there is NO ONE set to step in there if age finally catches up with him. In the slot Bentley is beyond god awful, an absolute bust and wasted pick. He is one of the worst DB's I've ever seen. He is beat on pretty much every play. That's why he holds and cant get his head around to see the damn ball before committing another penalty. I have no idea what Neville Longbottom will offer up but I'm not holding my breath he is a player.

DT? Well we all know that situation. No idea on Reid and basically praying that Walker is a steal for us. Certainly need someone else there.

RB? Certainly a need. Is it a first round need? Not if o-line and CB aren't somehow addressed first. What good is a RB that has a garbage line in front to him.

I suggested the move up option with the hope that it can land us two legitimate quality starters. If we only end up with three picks in this draft and its those two starters and a quality rotational back up then it's a success. They need to find depth with upside in those 7th rd picks which have almost zero trade value and in the UDFA market.

This team must now lean on developing players and plugging young guys in. They can only do so much and the draft wont allow them to accomplish everything. They must take whatever comes first. If its a RB, so be it. They absolutely cannot start reaching to fill holes.

Swanson is the next man up. Put him in the lineup and go. It would be nice if the Lions can find that other CB this year but Mathis offers a little insurance for now. I predict a second or third round CB though.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. You'd start 20 threads bowing to him yourself. Mayhew is way too popular around here to get bashed by the majority.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Its not stupid as long as they make it count.

Count or not. It's still 75% chance to hit a starter in the first round. 50% to hit one in the second round.

I guess if you have a glaring hole and there was a big drop off in talented prospects at that particular position. Lions don't have any "glaring holes" to me. Other than Offensive Coordinator position.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

OK, if we're just talking about moving up then I'd be willing to part with a 3rd day selection next year for a guy that should start paying off this year.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Of course not. You'd start 20 threads bowing to him yourself. Mayhew is way too popular around here to get bashed by the majority.

Do you really feel Mayhew is popular? I don't get that sense at all.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not even sure where Suhwarm got that from, Bishop. Especially since Ivenever really expressed my thoughts on Mayhew on these boards.m

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
trollers_gonna_troll.jpg

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3

Are you kidding me? Maybe it's the vocal minority but in some posters eyes, the guy can do no wrong.

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not popular with anyone and most think he has made many mistakes. Most are just not Ginormus babies about though.

RobBase

★★★★★
Hoopla Cash
$ 200.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
He is not popular with anyone and most think he has made many mistakes. Most are just not Ginormus babies about though.

At least I can spell ginormous. Not bad for a baby, ya crabby old fart.

PS: of course the Nemo's twins love your post.

jdwills126

Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You overpay when trading next years picks for this years moves.

That third may only net them a small move up or a 4th this season so no. Or we end up with a shit bird WR from the Jags that never produces.

Thruthefog

Can'tre Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 25,000.36
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I don't know why anyone would bash him for it, since it's worked out so well for him in the past.

LPinSLC

Gang Member
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
You always get hosed when you're trading next year's picks. It's not apples to apples. You don't snag their 2nd this year for your 2nd next year. Why give away picks that are already a crapshoot? At least having multiple selections presumably increases your odds of hitting on some.

TBBishop

The One And Only!!!
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Are you kidding me? Maybe it's the vocal minority but in some posters eyes, the guy can do no wrong.

Some posters eyes is a big leap to majority. What it boils down to is obviously the guy isn't perfect. He's not only had some bad luck with some moves but he's really fucked some moves up too. But he's also put together a pretty talented roster and hired what I believe is a pretty good coach. And when some of you on here act like he's the worst GM ever, you can count on him being defended. For the record I think that what he's shown us so far is that he's mediocre.