• Have something to say? Register Now! and be posting in minutes!

Would Mayhew get bashed for trading next year's picks?

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
The Lions could end up with multiple complementary picks next year, which is something that might become a factor in this upcoming draft. One of our fellow posters mentioned a situation where Mayhew may be willing to part ways with some of the original picks in 2016, as said comp picks would act as replacements.

Thats interesting if you ask me.

Would anyone here be opposed to it? Moving up in the second round is something Mayhew likes to do and could be the difference in the Lions getting one of the players/positions they are targeting. Those first 10 to 15 picks on day two always tend to offer some really good players. Tevin Coleman comes to mind or a nice CB.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Funny because as I was driving to Texas today sat thinking and was going to start a thread...looking ahead. Then I see you and Meow mentioned it. I can surely see us trading our 3rd pick for next year to move up this year. As it stands they should at least get one more comp pick for Fairley. Garrett Reynolds signing with theRams should balance out a low level FA pickup now.

Looking at the trade chart( not that it matters all that much) it does show the 10th pick in the third worth 220 and the 25th worth 145. So the difference is giving a 4th or maybe a 5th since the chart is not as accurate now with lower contracts for rookies.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I do not see Mayhew being smart enough to try and deal with one of the teams who already have extra picks this year. As they are more prone to the pull the trigger to have extra picks again next year.
Pats would be ideal as they are already projected to get a 3rd comp from Talib. Lord knows Bill will board picks or next year. Try KC who is looking at a projected 3rd and two 5th rd comp picks. Might be able to give KC a 3rd and 4th next year asking for this years 3rd and 5th in return. I have seen wierd trades the last couple years in mid rounds that never really happened before.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Remember when discussing these picks that we can't trade for a team's comp pick- it has to be one of their original picks that we would hypothetically be trading for. Same goes for our own comp picks, they obviously can't be traded, either.

Just some food for thought before this discussion get rolling...

Old Lion

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain
Hoopla Cash
$ 2,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for it as long we get as many comp picks to replace them next year. I can see it if a CB falls to us in Rd 1 then we trade up for Coleman in Rd 2. Take DT Grady Jarrett in rd 3. Get and G/RT in rd 6 and a flyer WR in Rd 7. One more O-line UDFA.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is stupid. This is one of the weakest drafts in recent memory. Shitty, stupid teams trade next year's draft picks away. Look at the Bills. No first rounder this year, no QB. For the drafts 3rd best receiver?

RG3? Need I keep going on?

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not discussing trading comp picks at all. Just that a team with the comp picks might be more inclined to make a deal. As some teams look to the future way more than our organization.

Mayhew's track record is trading away picks for what he wants now. Not sure he has ever listened to a offer to move back to stock pile picks. Some for players. Other than getting picks with the Williams trade, has Mayhew ever made a deal that truly benefited the Lions?

As earlier posts from a thread mention Billicheck doing this. He is a master at moving up or down. So I am sure he would salivate knowing Mayhew was on the phone. Call the Ravens, Ozzie already knows MM is a sucker.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way were we going to get a player of Ngata's caliber in the 4th or 5th round this year. Knowing they needed a big time DT to replace $uh, he went and made a trade. Hardly a sucker imo in this scenario.

Rollingthndr

FantasyFootball Pessimist
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Not discussing trading comp picks at all. Just that a team with the comp picks might be more inclined to make a deal. As some teams look to the future way more than our organization.

Mayhew's track record is trading away picks for what he wants now. Not sure he has ever listened to a offer to move back to stock pile picks. Some for players. Other than getting picks with the Williams trade, has Mayhew ever made a deal that truly benefited the Lions?

As earlier posts from a thread mention Billicheck doing this. He is a master at moving up or down. So I am sure he would salivate knowing Mayhew was on the phone. Call the Ravens, Ozzie already knows MM is a sucker.

Ozzie has been giving MM the bone for the last few years now on trades. MM thinks they are boys cause they look alike though.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I am all for it as long we get as many comp picks to replace them next year. I can see it if a CB falls to us in Rd 1 then we trade up for Coleman in Rd 2. Take DT Grady Jarrett in rd 3. Get and G/RT in rd 6 and a flyer WR in Rd 7. One more O-line UDFA.

OL are you expecting Mayhew to have a plan in place? Nobody knows the true formula for comp picks. However you are asking Mayhew to think forward with your version.

I am wanting him to use a combination of next years 3rd 4th or 5th round picks as bait to move back into 3rd this year. Knowing we have a 3rd rd comp coming in 2016. So then they get four picks through 3 rounds. I am not high on Mayhew moving up for a RB. I am pretty Leshoure it is not his Best move.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
No way were we going to get a player of Ngata's caliber in the 4th or 5th round this year. Knowing they needed a big time DT to replace $uh, he went and made a trade. Hardly a sucker imo in this scenario.

I agree with the talent part Micro. Giving up two picks of that caliber was a sucker move IMO. the Ravens were up against the wall with Ngata. Lions helped them by freeing up their cap space while getting two picks in return for a guy who was most likely getting cut. He would not budge on his contract. Notice LaDarius Webb took his pay cut instead being cut and Suggs rewrote his also. Ozzie just cuts ties if you don't.

I fault Mayhew for giving up too much. I do like he went got the guy he wanted. Just think he overpaid is all.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I agree with the talent part Micro. Giving up two picks of that caliber was a sucker move IMO. the Ravens were up against the wall with Ngata. Lions helped them by freeing up their cap space while getting two picks in return for a guy who was most likely getting cut. He would not budge on his contract. Notice LaDarius Webb took his pay cut instead being cut and Suggs rewrote his also. Ozzie just cuts ties if you don't.

I fault Mayhew for giving up too much. I do like he went got the guy he wanted. Just think he overpaid is all.
I dunno. I still think it was a good trade. The Ravens still are on the books for $7.5mil in dead money/signing bonus for this year(Spotrac told me so). We only pay him 8.5 this year and my guess is we re-work a new contract for like 2-3 years. Next year we will have much more money, on top of a cap increase again. Imo, we're still ok.

lionstop1

Top Notch
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
That is stupid. This is one of the weakest drafts in recent memory. Shitty, stupid teams trade next year's draft picks away. Look at the Bills. No first rounder this year, no QB. For the drafts 3rd best receiver?

RG3? Need I keep going on?

Its not stupid as long as they make it count.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I dunno. I still think it was a good trade. The Ravens still are on the books for $7.5mil in dead money/signing bonus for this year(Spotrac told me so). We only pay him 8.5 this year and my guess is we re-work a new contract for like 2-3 years. Next year we will have much more money, on top of a cap increase again. Imo, we're still ok.
I liked the trade, hated the compensation.

Ravens also knew Spotrac said 7.5 (dead)this year and tried to rework a deal for less on the other 8.5 and Ngata did not budge. Reason I like the trade is had he hit open market Lions prolly would have had to overpay or outbid others. I prolly lighten my stance if they get him to sign a extension. Free up some cap and get one more impactful FA.

I realize a 4th or 5th this year would never get us his impact. Micro, I just hold out hope the Lions can develop more late round kids one day.

And yes, they are OK. My sky has not moved.

Dr. Evil-er

Mayhew for President 2016
Hoopla Cash
$ 5,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I think we are in a horrible spot this year. You are looking at HUGE holes now on this team. DT probably ranks tied for third at this point.

Clearly o-line is #1. Look at that shit fest we have.

Everyone seems to think that Swanson has it all going on. His claim to fame is that he didn't suck when forced into action last year yet in the middle of a playoff run with Ravioli and Sims giving rim jobs to goats the Lions didn't bench them. Don't tell me that Caldwell doesn't do that cause he did with Fairley, even though it was preseason. And don't forget both those guys were going to be FA's, there was no risk of pissing off someone you needed to resign.

Not sure where to rank CB. Mathis has been serviceable but isn't getting any younger and there is NO ONE set to step in there if age finally catches up with him. In the slot Bentley is beyond god awful, an absolute bust and wasted pick. He is one of the worst DB's I've ever seen. He is beat on pretty much every play. That's why he holds and cant get his head around to see the damn ball before committing another penalty. I have no idea what Neville Longbottom will offer up but I'm not holding my breath he is a player.

DT? Well we all know that situation. No idea on Reid and basically praying that Walker is a steal for us. Certainly need someone else there.

RB? Certainly a need. Is it a first round need? Not if o-line and CB aren't somehow addressed first. What good is a RB that has a garbage line in front to him.

I suggested the move up option with the hope that it can land us two legitimate quality starters. If we only end up with three picks in this draft and its those two starters and a quality rotational back up then it's a success. They need to find depth with upside in those 7th rd picks which have almost zero trade value and in the UDFA market.

Microwahevo

Green St. Elite
Hoopla Pickems Staff
Hoopla Cash
$ 4,481.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
I liked the trade, hated the compensation.

Ravens also knew Spotrac said 7.5 (dead)this year and tried to rework a deal for less on the other 8.5 and Ngata did not budge. Reason I like the trade is had he hit open market Lions prolly would have had to overpay or outbid others. I prolly lighten my stance if they get him to sign a extension. Free up some cap and get one more impactful FA.

I realize a 4th or 5th this year would never get us his impact. Micro, I just hold out hope the Lions can develop more late round kids one day.

And yes, they are OK. My sky has not moved.
I get the holding out hope they can develop more. I feel this staff can and will develop players. I just think we needed that DT that is already established as an All-pro to help guide the younger guys. Sometimes players need a team leader as well as a coach leader.

gandydancer

FATBASTARD
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,164.87
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Swanson is going to be either starting G or C whether he was unproven or not IMO. I feel Caldwell could do that with Fairley having Suh in place. Not sure it happens if Suh was not there with Mosley.

Free up space with Ngata and get Wisniewski and no way IMO is the OL a shit fest. Swanson and W are huge upgrades of Sims and Dom.

tpaulus_2

Top-5 Arm Chair GM
Hoopla Cash
$ 1,000.00
Fav. Team #1
Fav. Team #2
Fav. Team #3
Something is up with W, though. Given what I've read about his play, he should have been snapped right up as a promising young center. But the cash-flush Raiders let him walk away, and nobody else has touched him at what sound like very reasonable contract demands.

I think there's some legal trouble in his near future that the NFL knows about, but the media hasn't caught wind of yet. That's just speculation on my part, but something here isn't adding up. This kid is a good young center hitting the open market in the absolute prime of his career...